Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

evilweasel posted:

Christ had no excuse for losing the governor's election in 2014. Might have been a midterm, but Voldemort was unpopular as all hell as well.

I dunno, he came within a point during a Republican wave year; the odds weren't stacked for him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CaptainCarrot posted:

Yeah, how dare he lose a gubernatorial election in a closely divided state by a point in a massively Republican year!

democrats are (perhaps wrongly) optimistic about Rubio's senate seat, given that it's in a presidential year and Rubio doesn't have the momentum he had after 2010. It makes sense they wouldn't want to waste that chance by electing a crusty ex-Republican.

If it were a midterm year where they didn't have much chance at unseating Rubio anyway, it would be fine to run the reasonably-safe-choice Crist, lose by a respectable margin and go home without wasting anybody good, but under the circumstances it is okay to agitate for a better candidate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Beamed posted:

I dunno, he came within a point during a Republican wave year; the odds weren't stacked for him either.

I wonder if a couple of points of that can be tied to Rick's meltdown over a loving fan.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
On the one hand ugh, Crist. On the other hand ugh, Wasserman Schultz.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comes along bort posted:

So a Republican and Debbie. Anyone else in the bullpen? Patrick Murphy?

Alan Grayson?? :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

comes along bort posted:

Yeah those are not some stellar choices, but the bench is empty for FL Dems right now, so those are your best options. Ideally I'd love Grayson, but he won't win a state election.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Beamed posted:

He was a previously highly popular governor and was unable to beat a man who is only liked by his mother and wife. Republicans hate Rick Scott, Democrats hate Rick Scott, Common Decency hates Rick Scott. Crist counted on that and ran an Alex Sink campaign that resulted in 9% of the votes going both for Medical Marijuana and for the guy opposed to Medical Marijuana.

Charlie Crist and Alex Sink have both used up their allotted election loses and now need to gently caress on off.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, keep wishing for Grayson, there's no way he could turn into your very own version of Todd Akin next cycle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, keep wishing for Grayson, there's no way he could turn into your very own version of Todd Akin next cycle.

Uh what the gently caress are you on about? Oh no he might say something mildly left of center, that's just like saying "I LOVE RAPE"?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

comes along bort posted:

This is 100% my feelings on the matter. This fuckin' state.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh what the gently caress are you on about? Oh no he might say something mildly left of center, that's just like saying "I LOVE RAPE"?

His divorce proceedings are almost assuredly going to be filled with things that could sick a statewide race

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo Kid posted:

Grayson is horrible. Let's not forget that he and his consultants thought a good campaign strategy was calling their opponent "Taliban Dan."

I'm sure Patrick Murphy will end up being the Dem candidate, even though he's not so great. Alex Sink, despite the losses, would be a much stronger candidate in my opinion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Submit to me!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're a K-Street Whore! I bet women will just love that one.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nope, but those claims that he shoved her around are just peachy to you since he votes the right way, aren't they Fishmech?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Could you imagine what Fishmech would say if the person in the below article was a Republican?

quote:

The divorce drama between Rep. Alan Grayson and his estranged wife continues. Now Lolita Grayson is claiming that she and the Florida Democrat’s four kids are living in a mold-ridden house because the congressman hasn’t paid for repairs.

She is in the process of finalizing what has been a contentious divorce from the lawmaker. In court papers she filed, Grayson contends rainwater is entering the 5,300 square-foot home because of broken windows. The H2O snafu has created a “significant mold problem,” according to The Associated Press.

The Graysons have made headlines with often-wild back-and-forth accusations in court documents since Lolita Grayson first filed for divorce in January.

Back in April, the House member sought an annulment from his wife of nearly 24 years on the basis of bigamy. Grayson also accused his spouse of defamation after she alleged battery.

In the latest filing, Lolita Grayson claims her husband cut off her credit cards.

Grayson’s attorney tells The Associated Press that the 56-year-old telecom company co-founder is providing for his family.
I mean I'm sure fishy is hunkey dory with his political hero being a multi-millionaire while his estranged and children are on food stamps and all. You know, because he's refusing to pay child support.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Alan Grayson's kids live in a moldy house that isn't receiving repairs because he refuses to pay for them. Your next senator, Florida!

Also the septic tank is leaking all over the yard apparently. Alan Grayson doesn't care, do you?

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Mar 13, 2015

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A Floridian democrat is still a Floridian, and thus presumed awful until further notice. Grayson's political and rhetorical style doesn't make up for bein' a scummy dude.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky
How is Wasserman-Shultz policy wise? I'm sensing some dislike in this thread but I still like to have a modicum of rationale before I start parroting the DnD hivemind.

Acrophyte has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Mar 13, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Acrophyte posted:

How is Wasserman-Shultz policy wise? I'm sending some dislike in this thread but I still like to have a modicum of rationale before I start parroting the DnD hivemind.

She likes Israel but thats about all I have on her.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Acrophyte posted:

How is Wasserman-Shultz policy wise? I'm sensing some dislike in this thread but I still like to have a modicum of rationale before I start parroting the DnD hivemind.

She was against medical marijuana before she was for it, out-and-out trying to sell her support to a rich Dem donor.

She's everything wrong with most Congressional Dems these days: craven, pro-Israel (as mentioned), clinging to tired tropes about wars on women, etc.

If only Dems had nurtured new party blood in the purple states like Florida, rather than offering up stale and out-of-touch candidates year after year. If only someone had had a plan for something like a 50-state strategy, and had been allowed to spearhead it for longer than a couple years after the plan had proven its worth in 2006.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm very dismissive and contemptuous of Howard Dean, but I kind of recognize that's entirely because of the narrative that's been built around him. Did that really spring out of him making a funny noise one time, or did he piss off the establishment somehow?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm very dismissive and contemptuous of Howard Dean, but I kind of recognize that's entirely because of the narrative that's been built around him. Did that really spring out of him making a funny noise one time, or did he piss off the establishment somehow?

He went and pissed off the establishment by giving the democrats two really good elections.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why not both

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
You know the old trope of a father just wanting to wipe the poo poo off his baby's bottom and put it in a nice clean nappy and the baby laughs and pisses in his face?

That's what happened to Howard Dean

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Willa Rogers posted:

clinging to tired tropes about wars on women

Could you expand on this? I thought things like pay equity and pre-k were polling well for Dems though? Even hitting Reps on certain abortion restrictions seemed to be making the establishment defensive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Slightly off topic, but who the gently caress names their daughter Lolita? I hope she's at least in her 60s.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Howard Dean took a crazy risk in 2004 on the ridiculous idea that getting ordinary people excited about politics and using the internet to let them make small donations might be a way to fund a campaign. He also split from the conventional wisdom of the time that Democratic talking points should be buried or just hinted at and Democrats shouldn't try to hard to seem different from Republicans. Basically, he made 2008 possible. He also had this crazy idea that growing Democratic politicians at the state and local level might be a good thing to do.

Oh, and in Iowa after he did poorly, he tried to whip up excitement for a very disappointed crowd, and because of the way the sound equipment was set up, he sounded funny on one particular recording that got played 1000 times on TV in the following 24 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdoGQmKVaKM

Vienna Circlejerk has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Mar 14, 2015

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

She was against medical marijuana before she was for it, out-and-out trying to sell her support to a rich Dem donor.

She's everything wrong with most Congressional Dems these days: craven, pro-Israel (as mentioned), clinging to tired tropes about wars on women, etc.

If only Dems had nurtured new party blood in the purple states like Florida, rather than offering up stale and out-of-touch candidates year after year. If only someone had had a plan for something like a 50-state strategy, and had been allowed to spearhead it for longer than a couple years after the plan had proven its worth in 2006.

It looks like DWS won't run, but in Florida there is the pretty serious problem that it's fundamentally electorally balanced against Democrats. The state legislature is badly gerrymandered and Democratic voters are extremely clustered in just a few counties (even by Democratic standards), which means the electoral configuration is as about as optimal as possible for Republicans. Statewide offices are also elected on midterms. As a result of this, the Republicans have a decisive advantage. The bench is bare in Florida because there are almost no opportunities for Democrats to take the lower offices needed to build up enough of a reputation and donor base to run statewide.

Maybe the Democrats can allocate more money on down ballot races, sure, but it's not like you can just "offer up new candidates" like there is some magic pile of people in Florida just iching to run for US Senate. There aren't quality candidates being suppressed by the party royalty, because high quality candidates just don't exist in Florida in the way we'd like them to.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I have to disagree. Sure Republicans will have an easier time finding people in Florida but there's plenty of places for Democrats to grab from too. There's lots of mid to large sized cities to pick mayors out of, a decent amount of Democratic congressional districts (way less than the Republicans, sure, but also way more than many states in their entirety have,) a booming business community with at least some Democrats in it and occasional state-wide officers. The fact that Democrats can find better candidates in places like Alaska and Montana than in Florida is laughable to me- its more down to the state parties being run well/poorly.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cliff Racer posted:

I have to disagree. Sure Republicans will have an easier time finding people in Florida but there's plenty of places for Democrats to grab from too. There's lots of mid to large sized cities to pick mayors out of, a decent amount of Democratic congressional districts (way less than the Republicans, sure, but also way more than many states in their entirety have,) a booming business community with at least some Democrats in it and occasional state-wide officers. The fact that Democrats can find better candidates in places like Alaska and Montana than in Florida is laughable to me- its more down to the state parties being run well/poorly.

The difference is that the barrier to run in Alaska and Montana is hilariously lower than Florida. The amount of money needed to compete in those states is very low. Florida, on the other hand, is the largest purple state in the country and requires a huge organization. Mayoral races are OK stepping stones but not nearly as good as something that might give you the opportunity to have a statewide profile, plus in Florida they are small compared to the population of the entire state - unlike states like Connecticut and Alaska where mayors can go on to become competitive statewide because their cities are either very wealthy and expensive to run in, or because nearly half the state's population lives there. The best stepping stone is going to be to win those down ballot statewide races, and unfortunately the Democrats have not controlled a statewide office in Florida since Alex Sink, with the sole exception being Bill Nelson.

I don't think the Florida state party is particularly well run, but I also don't think it's that poor either. Candidate recruitment is obviously a top priority of a state party but it's tough to convince potential high quality candidates to run for offices they can't win, or in the case of the wealthy convince them to spend a lot of their own money. And state parties have to tread carefully when recruiting for marquee races like US Senate or Governor.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Florida's issue is that it lacks one single urban entity as top dog. Is the economic center of Florida in Tallahasse, Miami, Key West, or Orlando? The world wonders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

Florida's issue is that it lacks one single urban entity as top dog. Is the economic center of Florida in Tallahasse, Miami, Key West, or Orlando? The world wonders.

It's definitely not Tallahassee or Key West. The 4 contenders would be Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Jacksonville of course only being on there because it's bigger than the other choices for number 4 and because it has, like, all the military. Uncle Sam makes it rain like a Florida Thunderstorm in Northeast Florida.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

It's definitely not Tallahassee or Key West. The 4 contenders would be Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Jacksonville of course only being on there because it's bigger than the other choices for number 4 and because it has, like, all the military. Uncle Sam makes it rain like a Florida Thunderstorm in Northeast Florida.

Point is, Florida has no center of gravity to dominate its political scene.

Now compare with a good state like Illinois. When I say Illinois, what city do you think of?

When someone says Florida, what city do they think of?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

Point is, Florida has no center of gravity to dominate its political scene.

Now compare with a good state like Illinois. When I say Illinois, what city do you think of?

When someone says Florida, what city do they think of?

Springfield and Panama City(alternatively Daytona), respectively.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd be kind of surprised if Orlando wasn't the biggest part of the Florida economic pie. I mean we don't pay state income taxes in Florida and everything is set up to take advantage of tourists. Transplants also get walloped when they move in too, of course.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shakenbaker posted:

I'd be kind of surprised if Orlando wasn't the biggest part of the Florida economic pie. I mean we don't pay state income taxes in Florida and everything is set up to take advantage of tourists. Transplants also get walloped when they move in too, of course.

Miami and Tampa have a greater GDP than Orlando.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
few things in my head can i hear as clearly by memory alone as Howard Dean's scream

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

Miami and Tampa have a greater GDP than Orlando.

I'm assuming this is due to the Cuban sandwich competition.

Honestly surprised by that, but that's what I get for not actually looking at it. Thanks for the correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mooyashi posted:

few things in my head can i hear as clearly by memory alone as Howard Dean's scream

From that point until about 2010 a friend reproduced it nearly every chance he had. He doesn't do often much these days though, I miss it.

• Locked thread