Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

Its success is largely attributed to the contentious host, who has appeared on the show since 1988.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Rudager posted:

What the gently caress?

Yeah, the current format is a reboot they did in 2002. He was on the original, more boring version, too.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I wonder how them getting contracts at Sky would affect repeats of the show on Dave?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B38RcT5bCao

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Rudager posted:

What the gently caress?
IMO the old intro was better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23_u5nvtIT0

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My God, what a surprisingly nasal voice. Good thing he took up smoking.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Cacator posted:

My God, what a surprisingly nasal voice. Good thing he took up smoking.

It's a rather terribly tacked on 'Received' English 'voice/accent' you used to have to do on British TV to sound more important/posh - it sounds weird on a youngish Doncaster/Yorkshire accent.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"You should've heard my language while we were filming this'".

*car maintains almost perfect traction in 2 inches of slush*

On the cutting room floor: "Oh gosh and father's galoshes! By Jove this fellow is practically afloat upon the snow. I haven't seen such an ill-shod conveyance since dear old grand uncle came home from the pheasant shoot in his co-respoondents, carrying the Earl of Albermarle and their combined quarry on his back. The mud and the dram had done something of a number on them all you see."

There is a quite a bit of new Jeremy in there though.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

If Clarkson preemptively went to his bosses what does this mean for the left wing conspiracy to ruin people's fun revealed just a few pages back?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Watermelon City posted:

If Clarkson preemptively went to his bosses what does this mean for the left wing conspiracy to ruin people's fun revealed just a few pages back?

Take it with a pinch of artisanal Maldon grain salt. The Guardian is overflowing with opinion pieces on this event, opinion pieces about the number of opinion pieces and so on up to the fourth or fifth meta level.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Watermelon City posted:

The "left wing conspiracy" has nothing to do with the fact someone went to the BBC, or even that the BBC are investigating. It's outlets like the Guardian, who have been gunning for Clarkson for years for having the temerity to make things go vroom, treating a workplace dust-up like it's World War 3 just because of who was involved.

I like the Guardian and most of the time their politics are pretty close to mine, but they do have a number of completely batshit hummus-and-Dworkin columnists who have spent the last week churning out endless Clarkson hit pieces in an attempt to get him sacked. It's agenda journalism at it's worst and if this was Chris Evans or Nick Grimshaw or any other BBC personality other than Clarkson this wouldn't have received a tenth of the coverage it has.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
They publish so many articles because they know they're guaranteed to get plenty of hits from people moaning that they dare to criticise that bully off the telly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like there is some bizarre cultural gulf here because as a non-Brit well on the left, getting so spun up for so long over what's fundamentally a comedy built on old buffoons driving in circles is in all sincerity the stupidest motherfucking thing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I feel like there is some bizarre cultural gulf here because as a non-Brit well on the left, getting so spun up for so long over what's fundamentally a comedy built on old buffoons driving in circles is in all sincerity the stupidest motherfucking thing.

They should be more like Americans. Chris Brown beat a girl broken and most people still love him. Michael Vick went to prison for dog fighting. As long as you're not diddling kids, you're still welcome (so the opposite of the UK).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sean10mm posted:

As a non-Brit (an in American) on the left, you're likely about where I am, and most people (including myself) would consider me aligned to the right in the UK.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ariza posted:

They should be more like Americans. Chris Brown beat a girl broken and most people still love him. Michael Vick went to prison for dog fighting. As long as you're not diddling kids, you're still welcome (so the opposite of the UK).

Nah, even that's ok if you wait long enough after it's news.

(R Kelly)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

sean10mm posted:

It probably doesn't come across in places which only get broadcasts of the show but Clarkson is quite a prominent figure in British public life. He's a member of the Chipping Norton set and friend's with the current Prime Minister. Anything that happens to him is thus a pretty major event.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cloudchamber posted:

It probably doesn't come across in places which only get broadcasts of the show but Clarkson is quite a prominent figure in British public life. He's a member of the Chipping Norton set and friend's with the current Prime Minister. Anything that happens to him is thus a pretty major event.

I think my mum knows his wife.

I met him once at a car show.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

I think my mum knows his wife.

I met him once at a car show.

Cameron or Clarkson's wife?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cloudchamber posted:

Cameron or Clarkson's wife?

Clarkson's.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Nah, even that's ok if you wait long enough after it's news.

(R Kelly)

When he tried to play a festival in Columbus last summer people boycotted it and they ended up dropping him from the bill. I wouldn't be surprised if people try to do the same in Houston.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zundfolge posted:

When he tried to play a festival in Columbus last summer people boycotted it and they ended up dropping him from the bill. I wouldn't be surprised if people try to do the same in Houston.

They have been, but the fact that he was even considered after what happened last year and espeiclally after the interview that DeRogatis did in the Village Voice is beyond me.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oliver North is a loving war criminal and we gave him his own television show.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 383 days!
Replace Clarkson with Sabine Schmitz and get on with it

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

wesley snypes posted:

Replace Clarkson with Sabine Schmitz and get on with it

Apparently people that care enough to write in, or give more than a few fucks, are all lamenting that Clarkson makes TG work, and the show will be crap without him. I'm sure a D&D poster can come up with an appropriate term for such a strong attachment to louts and relics.

I'm with you though, he's past his used by date and the show can survive without him. Replace him and move on, it's not like he's a comedic genius or driving superstar, he just owned topgear as a brand until recently, but that's not a thing any more.
I don't watch TG for comments on current event or the status of various peoples or groups for his opinion. I watch it for entertaining cars and driving. There's more than enough talent out there to fill that slot and Clarkson doesn't own the brand any more.
gently caress it. People want to protest? Think about how many more seasons these guys have in them now. 1-2-3? They're over it. The format is good but I'm over them too.
E: Some people hate change so much they can't see the future and obvious; or the old fat should be retired elephant in the room. I'd prefer roadkill to be a weekly show.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Even if Top Gear continues with May and Hammond if Clarkson leaves (which they've said it won't), the show only works as well as it does because it shows three middle-aged men bumbling about and getting into trouble. The replacement for Clarkson should fit that idea, and obviously have good onscreen chemistry with the co-hosts.

Or maybe it's just time to get a completely new team of hosts. Chris Harris is an obvious choice, as he's shown several times that he can go pretty much straight from powersliding a McLaren P1 around a track to extolling the virtues of a 12HP Citron 2CV. The show needs people with that kind of general love of all things automotive, it has only worked as well as it has because of that fact.

Perhaps a new presenter team is already in the making.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Bill Bailey? :D

Who beat clarksons 1.50 time in the liana? Who ever it was, they could be in the running. What's jay kay doing?

Chriss Barrie was good in briitsh inventions, funnier than clarkson too.
Chris Evans is a shoe in for Hammond, better and has his own car collection for future episodes. E: he did a good time in the liana too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly I'm fine with Top Gear undergoing another reformatting with new hosts. It's just a shame that it had to happen right in the middle of what was a good season. Hammond can go back to hosting morning shows and radio and May can continue doing interesting one-off documentary series.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jimmy Carr. :getin: Bonus: he can probably offend people just as easily.

Part of why Top Gear works so well is that any two presenters can believably oppose the third. Clarkson and May can go on about how Hammond wants to be a redneck, May and Hammond can point out how Clarkson is a bumbling fool, and Hammond and Clarkson can make fun of May's tendency to be pedantic. It's an incredibly good setup and it wouldn't be easy to slot a replacement into any of their roles, let alone find another team of presenters that works along the same lines.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
After may came in, it wasn't that comfortable a relationship, it wasn't that good early on, and compared to the "golden years" it's got worn a little thin and a bit strained now that they're older.
gently caress it, have guest hosts until a popular vote if you lot can't make your mind up.
The only thing I like about Clarkson is when he does his 70s/80s ford hooligan thing. I like may for the non top gear stuff he's done, he's like the boffin, interested in engineering type. Anyone can replace Hammond.
Doesn't sound hard to replace any of them to me. If May will stay then I'm happy. But many better people could replace Clarkson and Hammond, and if May want to go, a replacement could be found (but he might want to stay to keep up the other specials he does, plus might not end up being the slowest)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 14, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Who did we have before May?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bring in Brian Johnson as a replacement.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Cakefool posted:

Who did we have before May?

Jason Dawes IIRC, not a driver or co host, but an ex dealer or something like that on the show to tell people about what cars are a bargain to buy new or s/h in just a very short car review segment.
This was only in the first series where it was the clarkson show, but had hammond as a sidekick and wanted it to be a more serious topgear like the previous old topgear.
Back then there was like 6 people in the audience.
E: If you think I meant the golden years were pre James May, then hell no. Golden years were from series 4/5 and the best early specials/epic races up to Vietnam that James May was involved in. I just meant series 1-3 were pretty rough.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 14, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bring in Brian Johnson as a replacement.
I would love that :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZcgCiS1M3s

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd rather have no Top Gear than any of the guys go. It's not the format, the travel films, or access to cars. Their friendship and chemistry is what makes the show function.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Fo3 posted:

Jason Dawes IIRC, not a driver or co host, but an ex dealer or something like that on the show to tell people about what cars are a bargain to buy new or s/h in just a very short car review segment.
This was only in the first series where it was the clarkson show, but had hammond as a sidekick and wanted it to be a more serious topgear like the previous old topgear.
Back then there was like 6 people in the audience.

I remember he once did a drag race against an electric car. The car ran out of charge half way and he just walked across the line. That's about it, really.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd rather have no Top Gear than any of the guys go. It's not the format, the travel films, or access to cars. Their friendship and chemistry is what makes the show function.

How could you be so wrong?
Have you heard of acting?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fo3 posted:

How could you be so wrong?
Have you heard of acting?

I've seen US Top Gear yea.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just then I was acting concerned about your opinion. Inwardly I was caring about the fact it's 3AM SUN here and I've got to process all my tax info Sunday evening in order to meet with an accountant on Monday at 9AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

We can dream. He's already a friend of May's too!