Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Wouldn't it have been safer inside the forklift cage? Unless the shelves were full of caustic chemicals, I guess. At least you have some protection over your head.

Cage probably protects from crushing, but not from impalement or flying debris. Looks like the "cage" is just roll bars, rather than a mesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

hngggggggggg

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Leperflesh posted:

Like that famous (possibly apocryphal) bet someone supposedly once made to Hemmingway, that he couldn't tell a whole story in six words, to which he allegedly responded:

Pfft.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

Minrad posted:

Hey, it's a gif that doesn't crash Chrome!

:stare:

That was not a big impact. I hope that only happened because the racking is really really overloaded. My workplace is mostly bulky boxes which the overhead guard would deal with but even then, a piece of broken pallet or racking could skewer straight through it or come in from the side. Best bet might be to jump out and huddle against the side of the forklift. I kind of want to stop wearing my seatbelt now. It's not like our electric stand-up forklifts have them, and the seat is deep so you can't slide out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ok I'll bite other than powering the wall from another really close wall what could this possibly for?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok I'll bite other than powering the wall from another really close wall what could this possibly for?

Dumping generator power into a system?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
An Etherkiller but for AC?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haruharuharuko posted:

The guy that posted it said his company actually made them and put them on all the trucks.

quote:

This is my best guess, but I'm not sure.
They're on blow in insulation trucks. Normally the generator on them would run the blowers. The blowers and generators are hard wired together. I think that if they don't want to run the generator they can back feed it with this with a line from another truck, or the jobsite. However that is pure speculation.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

flosofl posted:

The guy that posted it said his company actually made them and put them on all the trucks.

Went looking found this.

Also this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like your old av better

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

this is some motherfucking zen poo poo right here

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

verbal enema posted:

I like your old av better

Someone bought this one for me so whatever.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cross posting from the construction tales thread.

Deep 13 posted:

I think this thread would appreciate Grant Thompson, youtube DIY superstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UjxG8sN1c

Check out this current controller you can make at home!

If you like this, his homebuilt arc welder project is pretty great, too.

Seems like a reasonable solution to the problem "how do I control the current in my home made arc welder".

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Seems like a reasonable solution to the problem "how do I control the current in my home made arc welder".

It answers the question "how do I kill myself with a bucket of water and spoonful of lye?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Reasonable solution of water and lye too!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

A little lye in coffee never hurt anyone!

Probably not, no.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

jetz0r posted:

It answers the question "how do I kill myself with a bucket of water and spoonful of lye?"

I can't imagine that all of that material cost + labor costs is saving you much compared to the $50-100 that a new Variac would cost.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Maxwells Demon posted:

I can't imagine that all of that material cost + labor costs is saving you much compared to the $50-100 that a new Variac would cost.

Couldn't you just use a dimmer light switch? Or am I completely off on the amount of power those can handle?

Buying all those those parts new is definitely worse than buying a non suicidal option.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

That switch is never supposed to open with current flowing through it, it's used for isolation. Like turning something off then unplugging it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

jetz0r posted:

Couldn't you just use a dimmer light switch? Or am I completely off on the amount of power those can handle?

Buying all those those parts new is definitely worse than buying a non suicidal option.

IIRC the problem is that dimmer switches wreck the... what is it, the AC 'wave pattern'? Light bulbs don't care but more complex tools and appliances can be damaged or have their lifespans cut drastically short by that kind of uncontrolled current.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

[james-may-shotgun-rant.txt]

i mean unless the guy's napping, in which case :lol:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 15, 2015

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Cross posting from the construction tales thread.

Can you post a link to this construction thread? I'm intrigued.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Royal W posted:

Can you post a link to this construction thread? I'm intrigued.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was made for me.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Went looking found this.

Oh I get you need these because you strung your construction lights backwards or the power source moved because the changing construction conditions.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
^^^ I like your av

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ChuckHead posted:

Oh I get you need these because you strung your construction lights backwards or the power source moved because the changing construction conditions.

Yeah, but I assumed it was for Xmas lights.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's referencing a comic from a Japanese manga horror series that is a popular in-joke/meme on these forums.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dillbag posted:

It's referencing a comic from a Japanese manga horror series that is a popular in-joke/meme on these forums.

I know about the comic. Why would the guy go in the hole in real life though? Where does the hole go? Presumably he isn't simply dedicated enough to the meme to die down there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Angela Christine posted:

I know about the comic. Why would the guy go in the hole in real life though? Where does the hole go? Presumably he isn't simply dedicated enough to the meme to die down there.

Test your hip and chest size by trying to squeeze through the alternate entrance to Deep Cave, Edwards County, Texas. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAY-t32vyds

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

no
no. no. no. no.
nononononononononononono

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dillbag posted:

Slight derail, but I read 'The Black Paradox' last night and that artist seriously has it out for loving with your expectations and scarring your mind. I read most of it like this :suspense:. The only thing I could think of more mind loving than reading his work is that video of the guy that did a swan dive off that pier and split his face open.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ambrose Burnside posted:

IIRC the problem is that dimmer switches wreck the... what is it, the AC 'wave pattern'? Light bulbs don't care but more complex tools and appliances can be damaged or have their lifespans cut drastically short by that kind of uncontrolled current.

A dimmer switch using a triac basically chops up the AC waveform. So you get "chunks" of it instead of the whole sine wave. Imagine one cycle of a waveform. If it fires (gates) at 90 degrees and 270 degrees, you'll get nothing, then the "right half" of the first hump, and then nothing, then the "right half" of the second hump that goes negative. It basically acts as two check valves that can be activated at a certain point on the sine wave.

With a rheostat, you add an additional load in series, so you end up dropping the voltage the load sees. You can also do this with a transformer.

You can do this for smaller induction motors, but if you want to change the speed of a bigger induction motor, you need a drive that takes in 60Hz (or 50Hz for people living in weird countries) and changes the frequency - a variable-frequency drive or VFD. These generally (except cycloconverters) take AC, turn it into DC, then turn it back into AC. Or you can make a motor-generator with a DC motor spinning an AC generator.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 16, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Strangely enough, that's textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Strangely enough, that's textbook.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how you do it to do work on foundations or to add elevation supports for flood prone areas. Being that high I'm going to guess they're adding a lower level to allow storm surges to wash through without wiping out the living area or washing away the house altogether. Say like a carport and storage areas. I know that FEMA charges a 10x premium if your house isn't elevated enough in risk areas. So instead of flood insurance costing you $3600/yr it will cost $36,000/yr.

• Locked thread