Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey I just noticed the game is on sale on Steam for 16 euro. I'd have to find a way to get the cable otherwise but I'm considering picking this up. I've been playing bass for about 8 months. The game says it's for guitar and bass, but I feel most music games really concentrate on the former. Is it worth it if I intend to solely be bass? Also I'm interested in the "jam" session option. Does this let you play your own songs or songs that aren't included in the song packs to learn how to play?

Ultimately it seems like a fun game, but the song list doesn't seem particularly awesome, and having learned the basics of bass by this point it may not be worthwhile.

I'm a bass player and Rocksmith is really pretty great. So much of bass playing is pumping out rhythms that sound pretty boring by themselves but Rocksmith actually motivates me to pick up my bass even when no one else is around to jam with.

The customs can be pretty great. Gets me my fix of Franz Ferdinand (No You Girls has an excellent bass line) and Pink Floyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'll get it. 16 euro isn't much. The cable seems to be pricey but whatever. Any method that makes learning and playing scales actually even mildly fun is worth the money. Seriously gently caress scales. I was worried because a lot of reviews were saying it's really just for beginners, and while I'm somewhat new to the bass I can read notation and tablature pretty well. If anything I need to work on my dexterity. This seems as fun a way as any to do so.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's plenty of practice stuff, but you can also challenge yourself to nail sections or entire songs perfectly, so there's a challenge for everyone really

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

baka kaba posted:

There's plenty of practice stuff, but you can also challenge yourself to nail sections or entire songs perfectly, so there's a challenge for everyone really

Exactly. I've been playing for 20 years, I'm pretty good at guitar/bass, but I still find the game really fun and helpful. I wish something like this existed when I started playing, I think I would have progressed much quicker.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I'll get it. 16 euro isn't much. The cable seems to be pricey but whatever. Any method that makes learning and playing scales actually even mildly fun is worth the money. Seriously gently caress scales. I was worried because a lot of reviews were saying it's really just for beginners, and while I'm somewhat new to the bass I can read notation and tablature pretty well. If anything I need to work on my dexterity. This seems as fun a way as any to do so.

It's actually not great for scales and doesn't even mention chord patterns for bass. I find it works best with written instruction and trying to identify those patterns within songs.
Rocksmith actually helped me simplify my bass lines quite a bit so they aren't so busy and cluttered.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well it has scale challenge games if you can be bothered (I can't), and session mode is actually a pretty good tool for experimenting with progressions and chord changes.

I'd say the downsides are really that it's not good for theory at all, on either instrument (although it does explain and highlight chord tones in session mode which is pretty important) because it focuses purely on learning by rote, and (depending on your setup) there's a bit of latency which is not good for developing your timing, and it's way more noticeable on bass and rhythm guitar than on lead.

It's not a substitute for real practice and study if those are things you want to develop, but it sure does help! Seriously, playing a song on Score Attack and knowing you cannot gently caress up this part even for a second without ruining your score is a real motivator and stamina builder

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chimbley Sweep posted:

I'm a bass player and Rocksmith is really pretty great. So much of bass playing is pumping out rhythms that sound pretty boring by themselves but Rocksmith actually motivates me to pick up my bass even when no one else is around to jam with.
I'm bad at guitar but I'm moving house soon and I'm going to buy a bass since I'll finally have space for keeping two guitars around. And the bass tracks on this game are great and I want to play them.

And, you know, four strings must be easier than six. Right?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Next week's Rocksmith DLC Pack/Singles

The Cranberries - Zombie
Dropkick Murphys - Shipping up to Boston
The Villagers - Becoming a Jackal
Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Well it has scale challenge games if you can be bothered (I can't), and session mode is actually a pretty good tool for experimenting with progressions and chord changes.

I'd say the downsides are really that it's not good for theory at all, on either instrument (although it does explain and highlight chord tones in session mode which is pretty important) because it focuses purely on learning by rote, and (depending on your setup) there's a bit of latency which is not good for developing your timing, and it's way more noticeable on bass and rhythm guitar than on lead.

It's not a substitute for real practice and study if those are things you want to develop, but it sure does help! Seriously, playing a song on Score Attack and knowing you cannot gently caress up this part even for a second without ruining your score is a real motivator and stamina builder

Good to know. I'm glad I've already learned theory (hooray for 10 years of loving piano!). I'll keep aware of the latency and work harder with the metronome during legit practice time.

Seeing as I'll be using a bass will this bust my computer speakers? They're good but nothing special and they don't have a special sub-woofer. Anyway I could just connect my amp and save them?

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

toymach1ne posted:

The Cranberries - Zombie

Ugh. Fine, I'll buy it, but I want more Flogging Molly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Good to know. I'm glad I've already learned theory (hooray for 10 years of loving piano!). I'll keep aware of the latency and work harder with the metronome during legit practice time.

Seeing as I'll be using a bass will this bust my computer speakers? They're good but nothing special and they don't have a special sub-woofer. Anyway I could just connect my amp and save them?

Nah it's EQed so it's just like listening to bass in a recorded song or whatever, you just plug in and play. That's another thing about the cable actually, it's a USB recording interface so you can use it to record music if you like

But a lot of people do like to use their amps, especially with guitar - it avoids the latency (you can plug straight into the amp and use a phono out or splitter to run the signal to the computer) and also sounds nicer. The modelling in the game is a bit hit and miss, so you might prefer to monitor with your amp anyway. But the tones are fun and it's nice to have them switch automatically

The latency isn't bad or anything, but depending on how aggressively you can run it you might still be able to feel a tiny bit. If you're banging out 8th notes you can feel that it's not quite in sync, but it's all subjective anyway. It's totally fine for rocking out :guitar:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

toymach1ne posted:

The Cranberries - Zombie

Sold.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Well I have a Stiff Little Fingers tshirt so I guess I have to buy it

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

baka kaba posted:

I also find the scale games more annoying than helpful. As a beginner you can end up spending more time paused between loading screens than actually playing. So I do scales and such outside RS instead.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Uv1Mkw-MI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stiff Little Fingers is a nice surprise.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

What songs/CDLCs are good for practicing barre chords?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Cumbersome. Brand new kind of blue.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Where is My Mind by Pixies.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

No Doubt - Just a girl
Lenny Kravitz - Fly away
Muse - Plug in Baby
Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
When I'm With You by Best Coast

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the wrong song.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.theriffrepeater.com/dlc-leak-xbox-one-marketplace-sees-packs-from-spinal-tap-and-bush

Spinal Tap and Bush leaked on XB1.

Spinal Tap - 3/31

Spinal Tap “Big Bottom”
Spinal Tap “Gimme Some Money”
Spinal Tap “Sex Farm”
Spinal Tap “Stonehenge”
Spinal Tap “Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight”

Bush - 4/7

Bush “Comedown”
Bush “Everything Zen”
Bush “Glycerine”
Bush “Swallowed”

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
Man, I bet Dan's clue game for Spinal Tap would have been awesome, too :(

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I was just watching Spinal Tap a few days ago. Stoked.

NO WE'RE NOT GOING TO loving DO STONEHENGE

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 21, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Next week's DLC is a 4 pack from Anthrax including "Indians"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

toymach1ne posted:

Next week's DLC is a 4 pack from Anthrax including "Indians"

Why did every 80s metal band have to have a song about indians?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

Why did every 80s metal band have to have a song about indians?

Metal is about speaking for the underprivileged masses

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Spinal Tap? Awesome.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

toymach1ne posted:

Spinal Tap “Big Bottom”

So it's going to be three bass arrangements?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

So it's going to be three bass arrangements?

Yup!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

Bush “Glycerine”
Bush “Swallowed”

Sweet, a Bush pack would not normally excite me too much but I really really like both of those songs.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

toymach1ne posted:

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/dlc-leak-xbox-one-marketplace-sees-packs-from-spinal-tap-and-bush

Spinal Tap and Bush leaked on XB1.

Spinal Tap - 3/31

Spinal Tap “Big Bottom”
Spinal Tap “Gimme Some Money”
Spinal Tap “Sex Farm”
Spinal Tap “Stonehenge”
Spinal Tap “Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight”

Any idea what versions of these? The original or the redone ones Rock Band got?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

Any idea what versions of these? The original or the redone ones Rock Band got?

originals

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I like that we got Gimme Some Money. I guess it would have been that or Listen To What The Flower People Say.

Would have been nice to get Chemicals Between Us in the Bush pack though. Still going to grab it.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Anthrax Song Pack – $9.99

Anthrax “Caught In A Mosh”
Anthrax “Got The Time”
Anthrax “Indians”
Anthrax “Madhouse”

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

toymach1ne posted:

Anthrax “Caught In A Mosh”
Anthrax “Got The Time”
Anthrax “Indians”
Anthrax “Madhouse”

yessssss

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

toymach1ne posted: