Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

horchata posted:

Is there an easier way for me to get nitroshrooms besides wycoon? Seems like a waste to literally only have him farm shrooms since I'll be going through a crapton each fight.

Not that I know of but you can just go farm charms or deliver meat while watching a movie or something and end up with a giant pile of ingredients. RIP Granny Go-To.

I mean, you also don't NEED to use all those combines in every fight. If you're just farming a safe quest hold back a little. It's like seeds & pills for melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

The Drill Lance actually spins up when you do a counter with it. :allears:

It also spins while you're charging with it!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i love the drill hammer more than is sane or healthy. it shoots fire out the back when you do a big hit!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Internet Friend posted:

Not that I know of but you can just go farm charms or deliver meat while watching a movie or something and end up with a giant pile of ingredients. RIP Granny Go-To.

I mean, you also don't NEED to use all those combines in every fight. If you're just farming a safe quest hold back a little. It's like seeds & pills for melee.
what else do people use for buff consumables? This is one part of the game I am weak on despite playing so much :(

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Desire sensor loving me :argh: I'm trying to farm ancient shards to get a weathered switch axe but it's just giving me nothing but hammers or whole weapons like Windeater.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Huh, is this true? http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xouxv/small_guide_on_attack_buffs/

Mainly the stacking stuff. I thought everything would stack but apparently nope.

I swear I learn something new every day in this game and probably know way more than your average Joe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Desire sensor loving me :argh: I'm trying to farm ancient shards to get a weathered switch axe but it's just giving me nothing but hammers or whole weapons like Windeater.

dude that's crazy cash money. those lovely weapons are like 20k a pop

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fungah! posted:

dude that's crazy cash money. those lovely weapons are like 20k a pop

Oh I know. I'm loving loaded. You eat for explorer and do the C*8 quest to kill a rathalos/deliver 2 secret stash. Spawn in the secret area, mine everything, get 2+ ancient shards/rustshards, run past the rathalos and then just farm the feylines until you get the stashes. Can take as little as <10m to get about 40k zenny.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Okay, so, I'm at the 9* Urgent...

How do they expect me to hunt an Apex Seregios when I don't have my drive stones yet? This is going to be bounce city.

:psyduck:

You get a temporary one on the quest itself, you just have to last long enough.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

And to expand on this, that's also where items for breaking parts (heads, wings, etc.) go, so while you'll frequently have more than three items there they are definitely not all from capturing the monster. So don't be fooled there; you have the two-three cap rewards (four with skills) and that's it apparently.

Edit: I've never seen more than four subquest rewards, though, so I think that part of that big post is wrong. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure it's just the four.

Yeah I was just going off memory when I wrote that since I was at work, so I didn't know if it was 4 or 8 for a subquest. You're correct, it's actually only 4.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm in love with the hunting horn, crackin' skulls and playin' sweet tunes on my bell is a ton of fun

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Colapops posted:

You get a temporary one on the quest itself, you just have to last long enough.
I trusted in my friends and just juked in circles until the assistant hooked me up with the drive stone.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The apex seregios isn't much more dangerous than a normal one, regardless: it hits harder but because of its massively increased size it's even easier to just stand beneath it and never get hit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah i forgot to grab mega potions before that fight so I only had one sitting around and I still beat it, no problem

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've been trying for the ancient shard gun lance, and I swear I've gotten about twelve Arca Raptoras while doing it. It's not even a good bow! :argh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bussamove posted:

I've been trying for the ancient shard gun lance, and I swear I've gotten about twelve Arca Raptoras while doing it. It's not even a good bow! :argh:

I just beat Dalamadur and got a God's Isle out of it. :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just beat Dalamadur and got a God's Isle out of it. :getin:

Yet more reasons for me to hate that big snakey motherfucker.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Personally, I find alternating between Gathering and actual hunts to be the best way to approach things. Keeps you from getting bored and getting useful poo poo off the hunts can reset your mood. Also watching your bank account grow helps too.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
As much as I'm enjoying this game, sometimes it feels like things are deliberately designed to be clunky and obnoxious for "challenge".

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Mattybee posted:

As much as I'm enjoying this game, sometimes it feels like things are deliberately designed to be clunky and obnoxious for "challenge".

This describes a lot of Japanese games, especially Capcom games.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Is there a better way to farm Velocidrome than hoping for expeditions?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

natetimm posted:

Is there a better way to farm Velocidrome than hoping for expeditions?

Guild quests

e: just search for velocidrome hunts in the guild hall if you're lazy and people will be doing the guild quest

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So me and my friends Hardbushido, and Jadeace decide to take on the Rathian and Rathalos fight where you take both on the same map.

The conversation when we get into the map is as follows:

Jadeace: "Im gonna go take care of this rathian, you two go get rathalos."
Me: "I think we should stick together, it will go faster"
Jadeace: "Well i can still take it"

*5 minutes later*

Jadeace has fainted

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Secret Areas?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Good Citizen posted:

Guild quests

e: just search for velocidrome hunts in the guild hall if you're lazy and people will be doing the guild quest

No single-player way? No wifi where I'm at.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PJOmega posted:

Secret Areas?

Areas you sometimes start in on High Rank and above quests with random starts; Felyne Explorer can guarantee you start there (again, if the mission has a random start point). They usually have three gathering points with better chances of rare items and stuff.

natetimm posted:

No single-player way? No wifi where I'm at.

Guild quests are a certain type of quest; when you do expeditions you sometimes get them, and while they are done in the gathering hall they don't have to be done multiplayer. This explains it in more detail.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Thanks!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
What should my defence be when starting G1 quests? If I go out and mine (which I plan to do) I can get my current set to around 440-450. Will that be enough with food or armorskin? The only G-rank solo quests I have are the desert seltas and looks like maybe a gypceros. I know theres a solo g seregrias but I have no idea how to get it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

What should my defence be when starting G1 quests? If I go out and mine (which I plan to do) I can get my current set to around 440-450. Will that be enough with food or armorskin? The only G-rank solo quests I have are the desert seltas and looks like maybe a gypceros. I know theres a solo g seregrias but I have no idea how to get it.

Seregios is the G1-G2 urgent. Your defense is fine if you are around 420-450 going into G-rank. You want to get into G-rank armor as fast as possible obviously, but I stuck with seregios S (high rank) gear until... well, until I got all my G-rank seregios parts.

Seregios armor is really easy to make okay!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Colapops posted:

Seregios is the G1-G2 urgent. Your defense is fine if you are around 420-450 going into G-rank. You want to get into G-rank armor as fast as possible obviously, but I stuck with seregios S (high rank) gear until... well, until I got all my G-rank seregios parts.

Seregios armor is really easy to make okay!

Ok cool, thank you. There is a solo G-rank Seregrias as well though, at least according to kiranico.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp, at Cathar and started melding some Pawn Talismans. I think it was just Defense +3, SpeedGatherer+5, and some other +2 item that seemed meh. But I must ask, how bad is the Outbreak Congalala? Is it literally a berserking farting gorilla?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

widespread posted:

Welp, at Cathar and started melding some Pawn Talismans. I think it was just Defense +3, SpeedGatherer+5, and some other +2 item that seemed meh. But I must ask, how bad is the Outbreak Congalala? Is it literally a berserking farting gorilla?

Pretty much, out of all the berserk monsters I think Congalala or Lagombi are the easiest to deal with. Really, in the first few encounters, berserk isn't that big of a problem since you can get the damage bonus off of it pretty easily.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm getting the feeling that 5 supports in my palico's forte are not worth it. Sometimes they put the worse traps down.

Monster flying away, trap set boss!
Just mounted the monster, trap set boss!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

I'm getting the feeling that 5 supports in my palico's forte are not worth it. Sometimes they put the worse traps down.

Monster flying away, trap set boss!
Just mounted the monster, trap set boss!

2 for traps is all i ever take, the other abilities from support arent as useful as the other fortes. My other 3 are usually stamina since it makes fights so much easier when the monster has to rest and eat a lot. Sometimes I'll go with fighting and a "nine lives" palico

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
So apparently, out of all the Dah'ren Mohren fights I've done, I've gotten a Earth Dragongem on all except maybe one of them. Counting the one I've used for the Charge Blade, that makes 5 so far.

I've also gotten enough Bumblepumpkins to complete the armor set. I think the desire sensor is broken on my copy, and I'm okay with that.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just did the HR3 urgent quest, but someone else was the quest starter. Does the urgent really not clear for you unless you are the individual who talks to the questatrix? All the other quests clear for you but this one didn't, was that just a bug?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Nope, that's how it works. It's retarded, but welcome to Monster Hunter.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
In theory it's the test behind ranking up, and everyone has to take their own test.

In practice it's dumb and makes it aggravating. If they want to have a test-like deal, make it something single player.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

A Gypceros tried fleeing today. It made it about 3 feet off the ground before the greatsword charge attack I was in the middle of slammed it in the tail and it fell back down, catching a later part of the next charge attack and dying. I'd feel worse about doing that if it wasn't a Gypceros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
How much do guild quests differ from regular ones in terms of rewards? I'm guessing you get less of the monster part you need because the quest reward is replace by GQ rewards, but how badly are you hurting yourself if you go hunting for the heavenly in a GQ instead of a regular quest?

• Locked thread