Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Ugh, housing discussion. Let's talk about things we don't have. Or never will have.

God loving drat it, I just want to own my own place without paying a ridiculous amount for the mortgage. I'd go north, but that's the Caboolture/Morayfield area. Though you can get good gomes for $250k, the area is pretty dicey at the best of times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Endman posted:

I'm fairly sure the point of the graph is to demonstrate the unsustainability of building so many new residences without the jobs for people to pay for them.

It's a little bit simplistic to say that without including the data on the increase in and ageing of the population or number of those builds that are replacing old stock.

As people retire those old people still live somewhere and their replacement in the workforce isn't really counted as a "new job" either.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Private property is theft, tbh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Private property is theft, tbh

quote:

Karl Marx, although initially favourable to Proudhon's work, later criticised, among other things, the expression "property is theft" as self-refuting and unnecessarily confusing, writing that "... 'theft' as a forcible violation of property presupposes the existence of property..." and condemning Proudhon for entangling himself in "all sorts of fantasies, obscure even to himself, about true bourgeois property."[3]

Gulag

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I live in an unusually boring suburb, even by Adelaide's standards, and the small, ugly 1960's yellow brick house across the road from me went for 600K at an auction the other day.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:psyboom:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I live in an unusually boring suburb, even by Adelaide's standards, and the small, ugly 1960's yellow brick house across the road from me went for 600K at an auction the other day.

My parents bought their house in 1999 for $90K. Now it's worth over $320K.

But sure, the housing market isn't overinflated at all. :v:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

My parents bought their place for about $113k back in 1996, now places of similar size sell for about $500k in that area.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
endmarx

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My mums property would easily be worth more than a million. I think it cost 200,000$ to by the land and build in 1983.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Would.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Speaking of the family house:

Subsidising Tony’s lifestyle

http://theaimn.com/subsidising-tonys-lifestyle/

quote:

Tony Abbott’s “lifestyle choice” to live hundreds of kilometres from his place of work is costing Australians a small fortune.
During the election caretaker mode the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet arranged a 12-month lease on an inner-south Canberra home for Abbott or Kevin Rudd to live in while the Lodge underwent repairs and renovation.
When Tony Abbott won the election, he chose not to live in the house, telling us he was saving us money by staying at the Australian Federal Police college when in Canberra. That decision cost us $120,000 – $39,107 for rent, $65,000 for a commercial settlement to terminate the lease in November, $1,403 for a property broker to find the home in the first place and later to look for an alternative tenant, and $14,144 in legal advice on the drafting and ending of the lease.

Abbott is the only Prime Minister other than Howard to choose Kirribilli House as his official residence.
The budget for the prime minister’s official residences will increase from $1.61m in 2013-14 to $1.7m this financial year, rising to $1.77m, $1.81m and $1.86m in subsequent years.
When Howard moved into Kirribilli House, two sets of stairs were installed and a bathroom was refitted at a cost of $185,000. In their third year of residence a new dining room table and 20 chairs were ordered, a cost of $82,000. A door required widening to get the table inside.
In January 2014, it was reported that Abbott had spent more than $120,000 overhauling Kirribilli House since winning the election – including $13,000 on a family room rug.

The makeover of the Prime Minister’s official Sydney residence included $64,988 of landscaping advice relating to dilapidated paths and how to prevent tree roots invading garden walls. And yes, this was just for advice.
Another $24,343 was spent on floor coverings, and $19,443 contract for roof repairs.
It is estimated that it would require $10 million to bring the place up to scratch. Meanwhile, renovations at the Lodge are behind schedule and over budget.

Originally planned to take eight months at a cost of $3.19 million, the Abbott government signed off on changes to the contract in December last year, adding another 12 months to the completion date and upping the price tag to $6.38 million.
The cost is 50% more than knocking down the Heritage-listed building and starting again, one quantity surveyor claims.
Aside from the costs of renovating and maintaining these two official residences, the costs of commuting to and from Sydney are significant. The PM’s private jet is stationed in Canberra so, when he wants to go to work, it flies up empty to pick him up. Likewise, when he comes back to Sydney, the jet returns empty to Canberra.

In December 2003, Fairfax revealed
“John Howard’s decision to use Kirribilli House in Sydney as his principal residence has cost the taxpayers millions of dollars since he became Prime Minister in 1996.
This includes the $7500 it costs every time he takes the one-hour flight between Canberra and Sydney.

The RAAF’s No. 34 Squadron operates the VIP fleet of five aircraft, which costs $60 million a year to run. The Prime Minister and his staff are not the only passengers; the flights are used by senior ministers and by the Opposition during election campaigns.
According to the Department of Defence’s Schedule of Special Purpose Flights for the second half of last year, the Prime Minister ordered 43 flights between Sydney and Canberra.
Ten of those flights flew empty between Canberra and Sydney. Each flight cost $7500. “

During his 12 years in office, Howard cost the taxpayers $18.4 million in flights between Canberra and Sydney. One can only assume that these costs have increased significantly since then.
In May 2014, as the budget was about to be announced, it was revealed that four Coalition members used a taxpayer-funded jet to fly from Perth to Canberra, costing more than $140,000. The RAAF VIP jet flew empty to Perth to carry four Government MPs and eight staff back to Canberra. Surely these MPs who have made a lifestyle choice to live so far away from their place of work, could also make the choice to travel on a commercial flight and save us hundreds of thousands.

A few weeks ago, despite it being a Parliamentary sitting week, Abbott fired up the VIP jet, with its RAAF flight attendants and first class service, for a quick trip to Sydney to unveil the government’s foreign investment options paper along with his Treasurer Joe Hockey. After their 20 minute press conference, they flew back to work in Canberra.
And then there are the endless claims for payment for Tony’s choice to take part in sporting and charity events.
When the Prime Minister said the government couldn’t “endlessly subsidise lifestyle choices” I guess he meant other people’s lifestyle choices because we apparently have endless money to support his.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
loving hell people, it doesn't matter spit what a place is "worth" now if you have to pay the same amount to get something equivalent. If you're living in the only place you own there is no real benefit to it going up in cost

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
although, if you're talking about affordability then ignore that

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

starkebn posted:

loving hell people, it doesn't matter spit what a place is "worth" now if you have to pay the same amount to get something equivalent. If you're living in the only place you own there is no real benefit to it going up in cost

This, people constantly forget this and it does my head in.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

It's quite good if you live in the city and want to retire to the country.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
If living a carbon neutral life can be achieved by buying enough trees to offset the amount of carbon you will produce / cause in your life, does it not also stand to reason that killing someone who would have produced that amount also mean that you're now living a carbon neutral life?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Become a suicide bomber and go carbon positive in a big way!

That's why you should never vote Green.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
How many people would I have to knock off with a 5 kiloton nuke before it balanced out the environmental damage of the nuke itself? These are ordinary people I mean, not like 3 Ginas to every forty thousand Vegetarian Garys

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

It's quite good if you live in the city and want to retire to the country.

Sat at the cricket next to a real estate agent today. She was showing me some OK houses she was selling for less than what mine cost well over a decade ago.

So if you're prepared to move it can be an earner.

That being said people boasting about how much their house is worth, getting it valued etc. strike me as wasting their time because they would rarely move and do better from it.

There are exceptions to this though.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

How many people would I have to knock off with a 5 kiloton nuke before it balanced out the environmental damage of the nuke itself? These are ordinary people I mean, not like 3 Ginas to every forty thousand Vegetarian Garys
Hello ASIO.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just shat myself just then

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I just declared faecal jihad and shot a solid bullet of poo into the Tony Abbott of my underpants. Okay ASIO, now you're here, let me tell you about Ariel Sharon

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
ISIS is good imo

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Only you are self

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g7RZp_j9Gw

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think we need to become ever more selective on who we allow into this country, & the ability for a huge majority to become workers & contribute to support our ever popular welfare / pension system.The figure's that I have read tell us under RUDD/GILLARD/RUDD, who open & destroyed our boarders allowed over 50,000 boat people to turn up on our shores which I may add will have a dramatic multiply effect. Of all the 50,000 only 95% will ever find work within 5-10 years.

The cost for this alone is massive & unsustainable. What will it be like if LABOR return to power in 18 months??????. This is Frightening.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Frogfingers posted:

Only you are self

it is a rediculous (Note that it is spelled correctly) notion that anything less than a 20 kt fart bomb detonated directly inside my colon could do anything more than singe the protective layers of bourgie fat that i have accumulated over my long years spent campaigning for the nationals and turning proles into patties for my glorious burger empire

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I'm confused which thread is which.

The streams are crossed

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Of all the 50,000 only 95% will ever find work within 5-10 years."

Seems better than the normal employment rate imo

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Milky Moor posted:

"Of all the 50,000 only 95% will ever find work within 5-10 years."

Seems better than the normal employment rate imo

Exactly, those lazy boat people are TAKING OUR JOBS!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

TheMightyHandful posted:

I'm confused which thread is which.

The streams are crossed
my breasts

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
thread identity test:

RAW ALMOND MILK IS TORTURING CHILDREN IN NAURU WHO EAT RAW ONIONS

AgentF
May 11, 2009
and wear bike helmets

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Zetsubou-san posted:

thread identity test:

RAW ALMOND MILK IS TORTURING CHILDREN IN NAURU WHO EAT RAW ONIONS

A wild Anidav appears!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ui'm jewish

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

ui'm jewish

M'oy-vey

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Avshalom posted:

I just declared faecal jihad and shot a solid bullet of poo into the Tony Abbott of my underpants. Okay ASIO, now you're here, let me tell you about Ariel Sharon

I think you might be vastly overestimate ASIO's technological skill set if you think their cryptographers are up to date with decoding modern day html bolding technology.

Qdk Dvlr brx'uh douljkw

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I watched the G&L Mardi Gras on SBS last night and was struck by the general air of positivity surrounding it: this is an event that in my lifetime has gone from one to where onlookers might be expected to regularly throw beer bottles to what seems life half the city turning up and going gently caress YEAH PARTY. :unsmith:

Of note, however was the fantastic "andhere'sthefurryfandomrepresentationlookatthoseguysdressedascavortingmonkeys" *rapidly switches to next float* "and here's our next float from..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As an aside from oniongate, I'm looking for an article written by a journo who was with Tony Abbott when they got lost in the desert. It included an extraordinary description of Abbott inhaling any food that wasn't tied down. Anyone remember it?

• Locked thread