Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's every Tier 2/3 game I've played in a nutshell:

There's less smoke if you don't go into DD alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Prav posted:

There's less smoke if you don't go into DD alley.

It doesn't matter what map or where it is, every game I played at Tier 2/3 has looked like that. It got so loving obnoxious I just dropped back to Tier 1

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
That was with me and 3 other destroyers. You ended up killing me at last after I killed a battleship and staggered out of the smoke with like 1/50th of my HP.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Republicanus posted:

That was with me and 3 other destroyers. You ended up killing me at last after I killed a battleship and staggered out of the smoke with like 1/50th of my HP.

Get dunked shitlord :thurman:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
drat, the St. Louis has a lot of pointy things out the side

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Fart Car '97 posted:

Most of the destroyers I see are too drat stupid to use their smoke, or they blow through it in the start of the game. I just hang back and let my teammates go first, either harassing with guns, or with torps. When the smoke gets closer than 3/4ths of my range, I just scoot away.

Then the smoke runs out and the DD explodes because everyone shoots it.

I kind of like smoke, as a mechanic. If you were running a platoon of DDs together, you could run smoke screens for each other and just do a continuous line of smoke straight to the enemy carriers. :v:

SuperSix posted:

drat, the St. Louis has a lot of pointy things out the side

All the old warships look like some Warhammer poo poo. It's hilarious.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
I'm just gonna pretend japanese destroyers are submarines that are above water

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

All the old warships look like some Warhammer poo poo. It's hilarious.

Old school American Dreadnoughts are the best. You can just picture them all freshly painted white, decked out in iconography to God Emperor Washington, and ready to spread Democracy at the point of a gun.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah you're playing in some sort of twilight zone. Most of the time it seems like destroyers (ours and theirs) dont even use their smoke.`

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
It's the best feeling in the word when you aim a salvo of torpedoes at a BB that's 7k away and like 30 seconds later you see a battleship destroyed

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I thought that I had seen all the St. Louis had to offer. Then I got the upgrades. My ship is made of guns.

Battleships flee before me.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Any feelings on torpedo bombers vs. dive bombers for CVs? I'm about to get the Langley and I just saw one of the loadouts had a dive bomber squad..

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hopterque posted:

I unlocked the Kongo holy poo poo it's glorious.
I just got it too, and yes. Yes it is. Gives no fucks, takes no poo poo, vomits credits. Pretty solid AA, too.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

What is the loadout attribute on fighters? Is it worth upgrading the fighters on the Independence?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Obstacle2 posted:

Any feelings on torpedo bombers vs. dive bombers for CVs? I'm about to get the Langley and I just saw one of the loadouts had a dive bomber squad..

Torp Bombers vs. Dive Bombers seem to be like HE vs AP for ammo. Torps do tons more damage but Dive Bomber's disable guns and such better.

This is what I noticed getting attacked by both in my Kongo though.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I got into a brawl with another ship and all my AP seemed to do piddling damage. What're the rules regarding AP vs HE because this is deeply confusing to me?

Also, how do I use the armor to best effect? I assume I want torpedoes to hit the front of my ship and not the sides, assuming I have to take a hit?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Obstacle2 posted:

Dive bombers are good against destroyers since they are harder to dodge. Torp bombers are good for anything else. However, when there isn't any destroyers to use dive bombers on, they become completely useless against anything else. That said, I have had successful runs in the past with a loadout of 2x dive bombers + 2x torp bombers. The dive bombers would come in first to set the ship ablaze/take the aa heat off the torp bombers coming in. Particularly useful against cruisers who have a habit of spoilering your attack runs (planes will panic in the face of large aa fields, something cruisers are more adept with).

Edit:

Gamesguy posted:

What is the loadout attribute on fighters? Is it worth upgrading the fighters on the Independence?

What do you mean, the left column? It changes how many and what kind of wings you have available to launch and control. If you mean the actual fighter/bomber/torp bomber upgrades, those are straight up upgrades. You can be stingy though. For example, if you plan to run the ship without dive bombers, there isn't a point in spending xp on upgrading dive bombers that aren't on your airfield.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 14, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
what is the password to the goons channel?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

I believe the loadout is the amount of rounds they have. Each plane is most certainly worth upgrading. The Saipan has the Buffalo which is double the damage of stock. It absolutely murders.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
I hope this monstrosity will be in the game:

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Holy poo poo after playing a few games I feel like a pubby, its going to take a while before I can completely wrap my head around all the different mechanics and how much situational awareness you need. It's way too easy to get tunnel vision and keep clicking away at enemy botes and run into a terrible situation. Gonna need lots of practice right clicking and taking a look around after every volley.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Sphrin posted:

Holy poo poo after playing a few games I feel like a pubby, its going to take a while before I can completely wrap my head around all the different mechanics and how much situational awareness you need. It's way too easy to get tunnel vision and keep clicking away at enemy botes and run into a terrible situation. Gonna need lots of practice right clicking and taking a look around after every volley.

A tactic I find that helps when you're just starting out is to stick to the edges of the map/near islands/etc where you only have to worry about what's going on to one side of your ship.

e: actually, minimizing incoming fire is a pretty good idea in general, not just for new players

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I believe the loadout is the amount of rounds they have. Each plane is most certainly worth upgrading. The Saipan has the Buffalo which is double the damage of stock. It absolutely murders.

Yeah but on the Independence the Grumman F3F actually does less dmg and has less loadout, in fact your aircraft rating decreases if you take them.

The main draw seems to be they're much tougher.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 14, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

so much fun wrecking poo poo with torpedoes fired from a destroyer zipping around at 30 kts.

T___A posted:

I hope this monstrosity will be in the game:

If that's a Montana, it's going to be the Tier X USN battleship.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 14, 2015

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thats not a Montana. Thats a Montana with some abomination of a hangar and flight deck built into it.

Which will be tons of fun when shells hit the hangar and blow up all the fuel and ordinance located in it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Judging by googling the image, it's some sort of crazy soviet carrier-battleship.

e: http://statehistory.ru/books/A--M--Vasilev---A--B--Morin_Superlinkory-Stalina--Sovetskiy-Soyuz--Kronshtadt--Stalingrad/4

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

Thats not a Montana. Thats a Montana with some abomination of a hangar and flight deck built into it.

Which will be tons of fun when shells hit the hangar and blow up all the fuel and ordinance located in it.

the gently caress?

quote:

Battleship Aircraft Carrier Project 19581 proposed by the Soviet delegation, the American firm "Gibbs End Cox" in 1938, this project has not gone beyond the stage of conceptual design study

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

will_colorado posted:

so much fun wrecking poo poo with torpedoes fired from a destroyer zipping around at 30 kts.

Only 30? You're sailing the wrong destroyers, son.

Also, new minigame: Use your torpedoes to herd pubbies into running into each other

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man that first Battleship, the Kawachi, is rad. The guns aren't accurate and don't have great range but rounding and island with all 4 batteries aimed and ready to fire more often than not results in your target straight vaporizing :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gamesguy posted:

Yeah but on the Independence the Grumman F3F actually does less dmg and has less loadout, in fact your aircraft rating decreases if you take them.

The main draw seems to be they're much tougher.

Them being tougher is really loving important. Otherwise they'll all die and you'll lose the air battle. DPS can afford to suffer if you're trying to occupy enemy fighters long enough for your bombers to take a shot, or a CA's AA guns for your torp bombers to line up a run.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
More durable fighters are especially useful since you have relatively limited aircraft space. The upgraded fighters will win in a head on fight anyway. Against bombers your fighters will win no matter their damage output, and against AA or multiple fighters the upgraded fighters will take fewer losses.

Also, wargaming_game.jpg

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Does taking two level 2 skills unlock level 4?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Not sure if this has been posted, but Darkrenown, you are famous.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/7582-bad-manners/

Can't see the chat in the picture attached, so no idea what you did :P

The dude posting the thread was slapped on his wrist by a moderator for name shaming.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

will_colorado posted:

the gently caress?

I would love something like that. In Navy Field, there was a Japanese BB/CV hybrid based on the Ise. It was a carrier that had 6x16" guns. It's guns had shorter range than a lot of the BBs it fought, and it didn't carry very many planes compared to most other CVs. Most people loaded it down with bombers.

I filled mine with fighters. And I used them to maul every scout plane in the area, so anyone fighting me couldn't actually see me.

CVs could carry a finite number of torpedoes and bombs and such for their planes, but if you didn't have any bombers or torpedo bombers, you could load up with ship-based torpedoes instead. And it carried a loving lot of them.

So it was a carrier, with battleship guns, that carried a mountain of the best torpedoes in the game, and it could go over 60 knots.

NF was a crazy loving game

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Enemy carrier left, friendly battleship chasing him down and ends the game by ramming him right in the flank; causing a massive explosion from both ships :iia:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there realistically any difference between playing with 200 ping vs playing with 50 ping in this game?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Planes are so fiddly about when they will and when they won't drop their torps in manual mode, but when it goes right...

:gizz:

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Alpha boat pics

aparently its a cruiser and it has smoke.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PirateBob posted:

Is there realistically any difference between playing with 200 ping vs playing with 50 ping in this game?

I don't know, but what I can tell you is that years of learning how to lead everything when shooting in tanks at 300 ping has been outstanding training for botes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Got up to the Independence now and I'm really enjoying RTS play, maybe now I'll also be able to outrun some dudes* too.

(*Not destroyers though, and all the destroyers are out to get me :ohdear:)

British armored deck carriers are going to be pretty interesting, but I wonder how they'll differentiate American and Japanese carriers. Less HP/AA but More speed/faster rearm time or something?

e: a DOOM counter for the Japanese carriers when hit, countdown until something *terrible* happens inside your ship :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 14, 2015