Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anatharon posted:

I wonder what he'd have said to the other Fans and Henchman, who he never interacts with at all.

The henchman has a dream about him when he gets home with his bag of money. Richard basically says the same thing he says to everyone else: "You're going down a bad path that leads to a dead end, are you sure this is what you want?" and the henchman doesn't really pay attention to what he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Ahahahahah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I wonder what he'd have said to the other Fans and Henchman, who he never interacts with at all.

He does at least chat with the Henchman in his dream before Mary jacks all his cash, though for both the Henchman and Mark his talk amounts to saying "you're gonna die with a quickness, bro."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I like how Evan's fate is left up to the player. He's the most decent person in the cast and he can decide to heed Richard and put the book aside for now. :unsmith:

CJacobs posted:

The henchman has a dream about him when he gets home with his bag of money. Richard basically says the same thing he says to everyone else: "You're going down a bad path that leads to a dead end, are you sure this is what you want?" and the henchman doesn't really pay attention to what he's saying.

Oh, you're right. I completely forgot about that scene. :v:

I just thought more about the newgame+ scene.

The thing that bothered me about that dream is the bag of money carlessly spilling into the wind. :argh:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 14, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You guys were confusing me with calling the writer by his actual name. I thought I managed to miss even more than I thought. :downs:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

The Crazed Colonel in Hawaii? If it is a spooky possession thing, that could be it.

That's what I assumed.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

:chanpop:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Idgi

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

loss.jpg

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

So I was a pussy and looked up the ending.

In the first mission of act 5,
After beard gets nuked, when you control Richter, go upstairs before answering the phone. Talk to his mom laying in bed. She says she was dreaming of Richter, sitting with his father, staring out to sea, but felt like something bad was about to happen. :stare:

oh hell I saw that but didn't get the implication

richard: no, richter. I am your father
richter: what the gently caress dad

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Now that I think about it what WAS the point of 50 Blessings targeting the mob?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

richard says that "leaving this world is not as scary as it seems."

he's already done it. richard is richter's dead dad

now let's figure out any significance behind the stuff in his locked room in richter's house

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anatharon posted:

Anti-Russia race war, basically and probably to provoke some sort of Russian mob response against Americans. The 50 Blessings leaders seem completely insane, thinking they're fighting against some Russo-American coalition when the world is actually in a state of cold war/diplomatic tensions.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 14, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Anti-Russia race war, basically. The 50 Blessings leaders seem completely insane, thinking they're fighting against some Russo-American coalition when the world is actually in a state of cold war/diplomatic tensions.

Well Biker acknowledges the Russo-America coalition. But he also questions how not-Dennis Wedin and Not-cactus expect to defeat them by killing mobsters. I'd wondered if there was supposed to be some thing where the mob was the secret police of the Russians or something which made me wonder why they'd nuke the USA if they basically controlled it, despite a coup. I guess concern that the coupSA would nuke them first. I do like how Not-Dennis Wedin and Not-cactus nuke Miami as a jab at the idea of people wanting them to make another sequel though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Small stones for the avalanche, mostly. By creating big, public massacres of the Russian mafia, 50 Blessings was able to avoid any large-scale legal investigation of its own actions (because the phone calls weren't easy to trace and without them in the picture the killings just looked like a bunch of stray nutjobs murdering criminals) and greatly increase tensions between Russians and Americans on the continent. The newspaper articles mention that, in addition to copycat killers like the Fans popping up in places other than just Miami, the anti-Russian sentiment in the wake of the San Francisco bombings and the Hotline Massacres is approaching riot status. The Hotline killings were a big, flashy, legally questionable act meant to create a self-perpetuating frenzy of violence that would peak with the mutual destruction of everyone involved.

Before I mentioned that HM2's plot reminded me a lot of a (sorta bad) novel called Three Hundred Million. In that book, at one point a totally loving bonkers serial killer is being interrogated by a cop. This conversation goes something like:

Cop: Why did you kill all those people?
Killer: To murder the world.
Cop: How are you going to do that?
Killer: By killing everyone in America.
Cop: And how will that kill everyone in the world?
Killer: We're opening a hole. When the hole is opened, all the rest will fall in.

The Hotline killings follow a similar principle. It's also why the game is subtitled "Wrong Number" - the 50 Blessings hotline has been disconnected, but the memetic violence it spread is now doing the organization's job for them.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 14, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hotline Miami 2's underlying plot basically boils down to "what if memetic violence actually existed".

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Anti-Russia race war, basically and probably to provoke some sort of Russian mob response against Americans. The 50 Blessings leaders seem completely insane, thinking they're fighting against some Russo-American coalition when the world is actually in a state of cold war/diplomatic tensions.

Why nukes didn't fly when Russia literally landed on US soil is beyond me. The story is nonsensical unless the US has completely collapsed of its own will after WWII or something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Why nukes didn't fly when Russia literally landed on US soil is beyond me. The story is nonsensical unless the US has completely collapsed of its own will after WWII or something.

Who says Hawaii is a state?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Who says Hawaii is a state?

It was a territory since the 1890s.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So hey, to people who have been speculating on whether the photo Jacket throws away at the end of Hotline 1 is the same one taken of he and beard guy during the events of this game:

Yep, same picture. Of course, it's only like 6 pixels so it may not be an intentional callback, but it is the same sprite.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Not a spoiler since it's in the first game- the Russian mob and the Russian government have substantial overlapping ties. In Clean Hit, one of the HM1 missions, Jacket actually kills three visiting Russian politicians.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 14, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like the internet has damaged our ability to analyze things sometimes, of course it's the same photograph, what would the point be otherwise. You don't have to speculate and zoom in on six pixels! It's not "an intentional callback", it's the whole point of the scene(s)!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geight posted:

I feel like the internet has damaged our ability to analyze things sometimes, of course it's the same photograph, what would the point be otherwise. You don't have to speculate and zoom in on six pixels! It's not "an intentional callback", it's the whole point of the scene(s)!

But now there is proof. Photographic evidence, some might say.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

But now there is proof. Photographic evidence, some might say.

Boooooo!

I've finally gotten the hang of Assault in HLM1 long enough to get an A+, so now I've got two more to go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fine, hard mode, you win. I give up, gently caress.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Not even the worst screen of that level.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Hotline Miami 2's underlying plot basically boils down to "what if memetic violence actually existed".

Also that if it did exist, it's a foolproof method of getting exactly what you want.

I mean 50 Blessings basically wins in the end, so I guess that game really IS promoting violence. :v:

Violence works out pretty well for everyone! The Henchman was well off until he tried to get out of the game, Jake helped participate in Russia's downfall, The Son got his empire back, etc.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 14, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hell, that's not even the worst part of that screen. Once you get past the firing squad you then have to kill the few rushing melee men, stay in one of the little stairwell nooks, then very carefully lure one of the couple shotgun wielders nearby without his big black buddy coming with, so you can then actually handle said black dudes, then you gotta take care of the firing squad remembering that they can turn and shoot you, take out the upper stairwell duo which consists of another shotgun man with a fat black guy, then kill two guys guarding the next stairwells with automatic guns.

I enjoy hard mode :shepicide:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are any details about the current state of the level editor out? Last time it was shown off there was dumb limits like each character could only fight certain factions so you couldn't have the Soldier fight cops.

I mean he can even fight Russian soldiers for the second part!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Just finished the game. I wasn't really impressed at first but after I realized what was happening at the end I thought they did pretty a good job with it. I did enjoy the increased difficulty but I felt like I spent a lot of time cheesing bottleneck door kills without as many moments where you can just run n' gun through and improvise without really memorizing the layouts like in the original. I feel like Wrong Number punished me more often for bursting into rooms like a proper maniac but there were still some good moments where you just get rushed by free combo situations so I can't really complain. I look forward to the weird things people will come up with in the level editor.

Geight posted:

I wonder how much of the sequel/story was planned when they made the first game.

If the developers were mostly filling in the blanks between the vague but entertaining moments I'd still be impressed. A lot of things about the main character of the first game become interesting to look back on once you have a better idea of his background. Even really simple, straightforward moments like when he vomits after what I had assumed was his first kill make me want to go back and replay the original.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Grapplejack posted:

Forget that, how does the world still exist after San Franciso was bombed?

One thing that confuses me now is why Richter was sent to kill Jacket, who never seemed conflicted about any of his orders. Maybe they were watching him and thought the hooker could expose them? That's the only reason I can think of. Honestly, until this game I thought Richter was working for the mafia.

Also, I got an S on the Abyss! Which is surprising because I was just trying to beat it, not get a high rating.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I can't loving wait for the level editor so I can make levels based entirely around Alex & Ash, Tony, and Jake with the Dallas mask.

I just could not stop cracking up, Dallas is seriously the best mask in the game

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Execution's one of my favorite levels, so I recorded a S rank of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2rjdnH2gg

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Unique little thing about the Detective: Someone pointed out earlier that he can turn around faster than other characters and even has an animation for it if you swing him around fast enough, but I've discovered that he can actually finish off downed enemies if he's holding a shotgun (Via a blow to the head, no ammo expended) and will maintain posession of it afterwards.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
If you're playing as the Detective and you don't have a shotgun in your hands you're playing him wrong. Especially because his quick turn animation is really loving cool.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MONKET posted:

I just could not stop cracking up, Dallas is seriously the best mask in the game

Right-clicking with the Dallas mask is the best. It might just be me, but I think you go faster like that too.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Dallas is like an earthquake, wrapped in a hurricane, nestled in a box of tsunamis, man. You don't even know, man. He's trained in super secret martial arts, man. He had to live underwater for a year to learn that poo poo.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know if the soundtrack will be made available on Bandcamp? Or maybe it's already there, checked a couple days ago and couldn't find anything.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know if the soundtrack will be made available on Bandcamp? Or maybe it's already there, checked a couple days ago and couldn't find anything.

The soundtrack is available on Steam. You can find it on the DLC page.

Ledgy posted:

If you're playing as the Detective and you don't have a shotgun in your hands you're playing him wrong. Especially because his quick turn animation is really loving cool.

I think everyone can do this, I just did it as the mob boss.

e; wrong quoted person, but you get the meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Thief posted:

I wonder how much of the sequel/story was planned when they made the first game.

Most of it, I think. HM2 was probably in development before HM1 was released. There's detailed previews of it dating back to Spring 2013.

Also, to people wondering why nukes didn't start flying after Hawaii was invaded, it kind of makes sense to me. The Cold War hinged on Mutually Assured Destruction, but as a concept it was never put to the test (well uh... it hasn't yet...). I always wondered whether the people in charge would actually go through with, y'know, the whole Apocalypse thing, or if they would try and avoid it by any means necessary (for example by giving up Hawaii.)

• Locked thread