Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Swans: Guaranteed A+ or your chainsaw back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

paint dry posted:

Also, to people wondering why nukes didn't start flying after Hawaii was invaded, it kind of makes sense to me. The Cold War hinged on Mutually Assured Destruction, but as a concept it was never put to the test (well uh... it hasn't yet...). I always wondered whether the people in charge would actually go through with, y'know, the whole Apocalypse thing, or if they would try and avoid it by any means necessary (for example by giving up Hawaii.)

See, I can understand there being no nukes for the Hawaii invasion, but San Fran was nuked years before either Hotline game chronologically. MAD would have probably been guaranteed before that particular missile landed, unless it wasn't a missile but, like, terrorism or something that can't just be pinned immediately on the Russians (But then if it wasn't the Russians, why'd America surrender in the first place?). The whole thing basically hinges on the idea that, somehow, the US either never developed nukes or lost access to them altogether because there is basically no way that we wouldn't have launched immediately.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

See, I can understand there being no nukes for the Hawaii invasion, but San Fran was nuked years before either Hotline game chronologically. MAD would have probably been guaranteed before that particular missile landed, unless it wasn't a missile but, like, terrorism or something that can't just be pinned immediately on the Russians (But then if it wasn't the Russians, why'd America surrender in the first place?). The whole thing basically hinges on the idea that, somehow, the US either never developed nukes or lost access to them altogether because there is basically no way that we wouldn't have launched immediately.

Alternate history does not have to start at the point where things radically diverge, but earlier with more subtle changes. The US might have seen the effect of the nukes on Japan and softened their nuclear stance slightly away from MAD. We don't really know why they didn't strike back, but all we know is they didn't. Maybe they just didn't see the need for them. You are applying real world politics to fantasy alternate history and forcing yourself out of the fiction.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Plotline Miami

I'm not going to call the game's story mind-shatteringly good or anything but the way it's presented and the amount of discussion it generates is so baller for a game about crazed murderers and combo counters.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

atomicthumbs posted:

oh hell I saw that but didn't get the implication

richard: no, richter. I am your father
richter: what the gently caress dad

Bingo

SA solves hotline miami

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I made an S rank video of Death Wish if anyone is interested (I just strung together the parts where I didn't die)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucnnlev1LcY

The twins really are the best. I don't use their gun to kill anyone, just to lure enemies

HOLY poo poo. Man what a great Corey player you are.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whats funny is I never really tried doing these crazy combo runs until I saw the vids in this thread. I ripped thru the first 3 or so levels with A+/S ranks (couldn't finish Death Wish before I had to head out) and it was real fuckin fun. I have p much every HM1 map memorized, I'm gonna go back to that later and see what I can't pull off

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Help Im Alive posted:

I made an S rank video of Death Wish if anyone is interested (I just strung together the parts where I didn't die)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucnnlev1LcY

The twins really are the best. I don't use their gun to kill anyone, just to lure enemies

This is rad

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014
So yeah, just finished the game on normal (with a Shitton of Cs though, so gotta go back over that). Conclusion, the game rocks. It is flawed and the level design suffers a lot from not being able to see as much of the map at any one time, but I dunno, the whole thing just kinda clicked for me around the prison break and it was all murder-gravy from there.

And I seriously dig the story, it gives a great sense of the whole world descending into madness and death.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.
Apologies if this had already been asked, but how the hell do you complete the Tony level of stage twelve where you get a different character each floor?

I've killed everyone, but there's no arrow to exit or anything to collect. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One question, I remember reading in previews that hard mode unlocked per-level based on getting >= C rank. Is that how it works or does it unlock all when you finish?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beating the game on Normal mode unlocks the first chapter on Hard mode. Then you play through the game again from chapter 1, but on Hard mode. I do have one level I got a D on in Normal but I haven't gotten to that point in Hard because the ship level with detective Pardo made me want to jump off a building.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Newt posted:

Apologies if this had already been asked, but how the hell do you complete the Tony level of stage twelve where you get a different character each floor?

I've killed everyone, but there's no arrow to exit or anything to collect. WHAT DO I DO NOW?!

Restart the level because you hit a bug. He's supposed to pick up the radio and automatically start the A&A floor

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Hit a strange bug. One of the Hard Mode levels loaded as the Normal Mode levels, but was still flipped. I only noticed because when I died and reloaded, there were more windows and fatties in place of normal enemies.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hotline Miami 2 - powered by HTML5

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

HLM1 and 2 are fun games if you can get over some difficult levels. Sometimes it feels like Super Meat Boy where all you're doing is dying until you find the optimal way around a level.

Pretty much this for me. I remember dying a lot and then I just 100% that motherfucking game.

Ledgy posted:

Execution's one of my favorite levels, so I recorded a S rank of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2rjdnH2gg

Very nice video. It is one of my favorite levels as well and I'm so sad you finish it real quick without listeing the whole beastly song.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Game was good, not as good as first game (soundtrack was better though, somehow).

I didn't care about the story at the start, at some point in the middle I started liking it, and then that ending was some dumb bullshit.

I really liked Evan. He was a cool dude. Weird talking rooster masks show up to sprout introspective nonsense at him, and he just sits there calmly going, "uh, excuse me? What's going on?"

Was Evan the only character who Richard talked to, and also became someone else (Richard became Evan's wife during their talk)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninjewtsu posted:

Was Evan the only character who Richard talked to, and also became someone else (Richard became Evan's wife during their talk)?

The Son starts talking to his father and the other guy who turns into Richard too, but only Evan at the end gets to choose what he does.

You know I actually would be interested in a brief follow-up to HLM2. Maybe a couple level dlc or another comic or something. It probably wouldn't say anything we don't know but it'd be neat.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Anyone else find this to be glitchy as gently caress? I just cleared out an entire floor and it didn't let me progress, I even went from room to room to find any stragglers but there were absolutely none. A lot of the new mechanics are just really unfun to me too, especially the army levels where you have to switch between a low ammo weapon and your knife, where half the time it doesn't even work leading to a lot of bullshit deaths. Additionally, on every level there are out-of-bound glitches everywhere, and enemies are immortal in doorways, it's like the game wasn't play-tested at all. Spinning dogs everywhere.

Also gently caress every disco level, or when the lighting changes so you can't see poo poo. The timed maze was absolute bullshit, even though I did it in the second try, but they did it again on some disco level and every couple of seconds you're just blind because everything is red, made worse by the points popping over people, obscuring the twenty people about to kill me.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 14, 2015

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Restart the level because you hit a bug. He's supposed to pick up the radio and automatically start the A&A floor

Restarted the level, played both of the previous floors again... no, still hosed.

Goddamn it. I've had a few bugs so far but nothing that restarting the floor wouldn't fix.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anatharon posted:

Are any details about the current state of the level editor out? Last time it was shown off there was dumb limits like each character could only fight certain factions so you couldn't have the Soldier fight cops.

I mean he can even fight Russian soldiers for the second part!
I think that's part of the reason why it's delayed. Making something that removes those silly limits.

Plus they HAVE to let us play as Jacket with all the masks.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Megaspel posted:

Anyone else find this to be glitchy as gently caress? I just cleared out an entire floor and it didn't let me progress, I even went from room to room to find any stragglers but there were absolutely none. A lot of the new mechanics are just really unfun to me too, especially the army levels where you have to switch between a low ammo weapon and your knife, where half the time it doesn't even work leading to a lot of bullshit deaths. Additionally, on every level there are out-of-bound glitches everywhere, and enemies are immortal in doorways, it's like the game wasn't play-tested at all. Spinning dogs everywhere.

I think a lot of the problems with the game aren't actually Dennaton's fault. The opening for the game credits Abstraction Games as having worked on it and the game obviously wasn't made in GameMaker like the original Hotline Miami was. I don't know why there's another developer credited for working on this game and why they felt the need to make the move from using GameMaker to something else, but that's pretty clearly the reason for all the bugs and glitches that are present. I imagine that it would be totally fine if they'd just used the same engine they did for the original Hotline Miami because that worked pretty well. Maybe they had to ditch GameMaker because they couldn't figure out how to do a level editor with it? Seems plausible, I guess.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Newt posted:

Restarted the level, played both of the previous floors again... no, still hosed.

Goddamn it. I've had a few bugs so far but nothing that restarting the floor wouldn't fix.

Threw a pipe thru a wall and biffed a dude

Bug was less funny when i threw the pistol i desperately needed out into the stratosphere

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Corvo posted:

I think a lot of the problems with the game aren't actually Dennaton's fault. The opening for the game credits Abstraction Games as having worked on it and the game obviously wasn't made in GameMaker like the original Hotline Miami was. I don't know why there's another developer credited for working on this game and why they felt the need to make the move from using GameMaker to something else, but that's pretty clearly the reason for all the bugs and glitches that are present. I imagine that it would be totally fine if they'd just used the same engine they did for the original Hotline Miami because that worked pretty well. Maybe they had to ditch GameMaker because they couldn't figure out how to do a level editor with it? Seems plausible, I guess.

The game actually technically is still made in GameMaker, just their own splinter version of it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

TheJoker138 posted:

But if you listen to what he says he's trying to dissuade people from doing what they're doing. To the point where he's even actually confused and disgusted by Bardo.

He's confused because nothing Pardo does helps his cause, and he's disgusted because Pardo killed Tony. BOOM! How's that for a conspiracy theory, bitches?!

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 14, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The final level was a hell of a way to end the story, god drat.

Edit: Whoever complained about the bar level is nuts. It's in the top 3 best levels, definitely.

quakster fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 14, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't wait for all the kids who get in trouble making their schools in the level editor.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Recreate the entirety of episode 1 from Doom. As a single map, of course, this is HM2.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anyone know what's up with the tapes you can find upstairs after Subway

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Megaspel posted:

Also gently caress every disco level, or when the lighting changes so you can't see poo poo. The timed maze was absolute bullshit, even though I did it in the second try, but they did it again on some disco level and every couple of seconds you're just blind because everything is red, made worse by the points popping over people, obscuring the twenty people about to kill me.

Sounds bad I'll carry on playing the original I guess :(. Maybe add this to steam to so people know how the game is and maybe get the devs to work on it.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It's a little late, but another thing the detective has is that he can preform executions with guns (bashing people with a shotgun, uzi-ing a dude in the face) so you don't drop guns when you knock a dude out with a door or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The game can be a little glitchy, but personally the only real bad thing about it is that enemies can see further than you can. If the camera were pulled out more, or if enemies had significantly shorter lines of sight (And also if they didn't see in 360 degrees), it'd be perfectly fine even with all the long halls and windows. It's just the combination of those two factors that make it less than stellar, at least in my opinion.

The soundtrack is loving fantastic though and I still liked it enough to get rid of my Christmas avatar.

Eaten by Tigers posted:

It's a little late, but another thing the detective has is that he can preform executions with guns (bashing people with a shotgun, uzi-ing a dude in the face) so you don't drop guns when you knock a dude out with a door or something.

I have had him drop the gun sometimes, particularly he still does the "Sitting against a wall" kick that makes you drop but other times it's like if you do too many executions in a row he loses interest in the gun and just boots a dude who's flat on the ground instead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Eaten by Tigers posted:

They still leave you vulnerable like any other execution though and I'm pretty positive they also attract nearby enemies to your location.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
All the characters drop their weapons when they do the against the wall kick execution I think.

King Vidiot posted:

They still leave you vulnerable like any other execution though and I'm pretty positive they also attract nearby enemies to your location.

I know the shotgun one is silent cause I did it a whole bunch in caught, probably cause that one's just him bashing with the butt of the gun, all the other guns he actually shoots them and that attracts dudes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Eaten by Tigers posted:

All the characters drop their weapons when they do the against the wall kick execution I think.

Not Tony, Knuckle Son, or Dallas :getin:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

As much fun as Jake's final level was to play with Dallas, that second floor meth lab can eat a dick. I've died way too many times by either the patrolling guards blowing themselves (and me) up or one of the roaming guys from the room to the right wandering in just as I cleared it.

Also I'm a little unsure if the fat guy never dying from the explosion is a bug or not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

As much fun as Jake's final level was to play with Dallas, that second floor meth lab can eat a dick. I've died way too many times by either the patrolling guards blowing themselves (and me) up or one of the roaming guys from the room to the right wandering in just as I cleared it.

Also I'm a little unsure if the fat guy never dying from the explosion is a bug or not.

The explosion has a smaller radius than the graphic indicates.

Also you don't get the explosion without Dallas because the level would be nearly impossible otherwise

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Also you don't get the explosion without Dallas because the level would be nearly impossible otherwise

Wait what? On a first playthrough you don't even have Dallas unlocked, and I used the meth lab to blow up that room with my own guns. The only way I knew that the lab could explode was when a guard turned around and surprised me on my first or second attempt. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So, how's the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

So, how's the game?

It's the both one of the best and the worst games ever made. I've never been angrier at a game that, on the whole, I enjoyed.

• Locked thread