Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Rob Portman seems to be the favoured VP ideal.

Assuming Hillary is the nominee on the other side, it has to be either Julian Castro or a boring white guy (ideally Tim Kaine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Assuming Hillary is the nominee on the other side, it has to be either Julian Castro or a boring white guy (ideally Tim Kaine)

What if she sees their Rob Portman and raises them a Sherrod Brown? :getin:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Serious question: What happens if something happens to Hilary between now and the general election? I mean, there has been talk of her health, and let's say, for the sake of argument, that the blood clot she had was more serious than was let on.

Is it Elizabeth Warren? Biden? I mean, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket with Hilary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Depends on when it happens, but likely total chaos with a crowded field that's harder to winnow since everyone will get a ton of free media attention. That's what happened (twice!) in 1968.

I doubt it'd be Warren, though. I don't think she wants it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yeah I think Biden would probably be strongest in such a case but not by more than 15% to his nearest competitor.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
It seems like just concern trolling, like what does this speculation accomplish? But I would say Romney runs as a Democrat. He was already trying out the common man/income inequality messaging before he dropped out!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah I think Biden would probably be strongest in such a case but not by more than 15% to his nearest competitor.

What's wrong with Joe Biden, anyway? I'm young enough that I haven't been around for most of his career, but when I read the New Yorker profile of him half a year ago, I was very impressed. The man seems to have his head on straight when it comes to foreign policy, and he's honest, too. There's an interesting point about a plan to partition Iraq he came up with. It seemed a bit ridiculous back in 2006. It seems less ridiculous now.

Nobody actually cares about the gaffe thing, and if plagiarism mattered Lincoln wouldn't have won two Oscars. From where I'm standing, he'd be a much better President than HRC. He's not going to be nominated unless Hillary bows out, but I see no reason not to hope something happens and she does. Am I wrong?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Why doe people want Tim Kaine as anything? He's the worst kind of boring white guy in that you remember who he is. At least Rob Portman has the decency to be bland and boring enough that every time I see his name I wonder who the gently caress he is for a couple seconds.

Plus whoever gets picked at Hillary's VP is first in line for the next round. Why waste it on a no hope like Tim Kaine?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Gyges posted:

At least Rob Portman has the decency to be bland and boring enough that every time I see his name I wonder who the gently caress he is for a couple seconds.

Same here, and I've lived in Ohio my entire life.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

What if she sees their Rob Portman and raises them a Sherrod Brown? :getin:

Aw, don't be a tease.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Joementum posted:

Depends on when it happens, but likely total chaos with a crowded field that's harder to winnow since everyone will get a ton of free media attention. That's what happened (twice!) in 1968.

I doubt it'd be Warren, though. I don't think she wants it.

But that's exactly why she'd be good. She just wants to sit in her remote shack and feed the cat, and every once in a while seven silver ships will land and men will come out and ask her questions, and then leave.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Gyges posted:

Why doe people want Tim Kaine as anything? He's the worst kind of boring white guy in that you remember who he is. At least Rob Portman has the decency to be bland and boring enough that every time I see his name I wonder who the gently caress he is for a couple seconds.

Plus whoever gets picked at Hillary's VP is first in line for the next round. Why waste it on a no hope like Tim Kaine?

Kaine's only 57. He could conceivably run for President in 2024. He's also from an important, emerging swing state.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Paul Ryan couldn't even pull the needle for Mitt Romney an inch in his home district, let alone state. The Idea that a favourite son effect is worth a vice presidential slot any more is silly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Kaine's only 57. He could conceivably run for President in 2024. He's also from an important, emerging swing state.

57 year old Virginians/Floridians/Ohioans have got to be a dime a dozen. And the VP isn't carrying his state by reason of existing anymore. He's a boring guy who ran the party shittily and looks like a used car salesman.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Wabbit posted:

It seems like just concern trolling, like what does this speculation accomplish? But I would say Romney runs as a Democrat. He was already trying out the common man/income inequality messaging before he dropped out!

Why is having a question about who would be the presumptive nominee if, for some reason, the presumptive nominee wasn't in the race anymore, concern trolling?

I mean, it's not inconceivable that an almost 69 year old woman could have a serious health concern that would make her decide she shouldn't run. They were having age concerns about Reagan in 1984 when he was 73.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DynamicSloth posted:

Paul Ryan couldn't even pull the needle for Mitt Romney an inch in his home district, let alone state. The Idea that a favourite son effect is worth a vice presidential slot any more is silly.
The general rule when it comes to the VP slot is that who you pick can't really help you. But they can hurt you (such as Sarah Palin).

Yeah, I'm probably wrong here ^, as it looks like Palin's reputation went south after the campaign was over.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 14, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Omi-Polari posted:

But they can hurt you (such as Sarah Palin).

There's some evidence that Palin ended up helping McCain by turning out more of the base, but it's very difficult to discern any impact in these things.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Joementum posted:

There's some evidence that Palin ended up helping McCain by turning out more of the base, but it's very difficult to discern any impact in these things.

His campaign ultimately crashed and burned, but he never had a chance in 2008. At least Palin was a dynamic choice and brought excitement to his campaign for a time. If she had actually been a real conservative firebrand instead of grifter he might have made a stronger go of it but the reality was no Republican was going to beat Obama that year.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

amanasleep posted:

His campaign ultimately crashed and burned, but he never had a chance in 2008. At least Palin was a dynamic choice and brought excitement to his campaign for a time. If she had actually been a real conservative firebrand instead of grifter he might have made a stronger go of it but the reality was no Republican was going to beat Obama that year.

He might have had a chance in 2008 if the economy hadn't fallen apart in the middle of the campaign like a car in a slapstick comedy movie.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Perry has a slightly expansive idea of the scandals involving the Clintons.

HALDEMAN: Pants suits.

PRESIDENT: Jesus Christ.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

He might have had a chance in 2008 if the economy hadn't fallen apart in the middle of the campaign like a car in a slapstick comedy movie.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. It was a bigger convention bump than usual, and it stuck pretty much exactly until the market crashed. Before that he had no real chance, afterward he hilariously had no chance.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gyges posted:

57 year old Virginians/Floridians/Ohioans have got to be a dime a dozen. And the VP isn't carrying his state by reason of existing anymore. He's a boring guy who ran the party shittily and looks like a used car salesman.

He's a safe choice, and he's popular known quantity in his home state. He's not going to be incredible but he can be a pretty solid choice for VP.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

The problem with VP picks that boost the main candidate is that if a candidate is in a position where a VP pick increases his chances, then his chances were very low to begin with. I always think about Dukakis choosing Bentsen in 1988, which was very well received across most of the party - and was itself a measure of how deep a hole the Dukakis campaign was in that putting Lloyd Bentsen on the ticket was a big boost. McCain getting a nice bump from Palin was a measure of how unimpressed his base was with him until the pick, and a sign of the trouble he was in. By the time you announce your VP choice, you should already have a mobilized unified party base behind you and the pick should be fairly immaterial to your numbers. If not, then it's a flashing warning light.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If McCain had been a stronger candidate he'd have probably gotten to actually pick the person he wanted, Joe Lieberman. Who knows how that would have played though really its immaterial since the financial crisis occurred and, though McCain basically didn't have a shot before that he certainly didn't after it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FMguru posted:

The problem with VP picks that boost the main candidate is that if a candidate is in a position where a VP pick increases his chances, then his chances were very low to begin with. I always think about Dukakis choosing Bentsen in 1988, which was very well received across most of the party - and was itself a measure of how deep a hole the Dukakis campaign was in that putting Lloyd Bentsen on the ticket was a big boost. McCain getting a nice bump from Palin was a measure of how unimpressed his base was with him until the pick, and a sign of the trouble he was in. By the time you announce your VP choice, you should already have a mobilized unified party base behind you and the pick should be fairly immaterial to your numbers. If not, then it's a flashing warning light.

Veep pick can genuinely shore up a strong candidate if they are well-equipped to win but have some massive single-issue-voter problem with their base.

Don't know that there's really been any single-issue-voter bloc that fits that bill since Segregation, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

What's wrong with Joe Biden, anyway? I'm young enough that I haven't been around for most of his career, but when I read the New Yorker profile of him half a year ago, I was very impressed. The man seems to have his head on straight when it comes to foreign policy, and he's honest, too. There's an interesting point about a plan to partition Iraq he came up with. It seemed a bit ridiculous back in 2006. It seems less ridiculous now.

Nobody actually cares about the gaffe thing, and if plagiarism mattered Lincoln wouldn't have won two Oscars. From where I'm standing, he'd be a much better President than HRC. He's not going to be nominated unless Hillary bows out, but I see no reason not to hope something happens and she does. Am I wrong?

I would think that the largest concern about Biden would be his age - he'd be 3 years older than Reagan was when he began his first term.

Granted, Biden has been active enough as Veep that there's no sign of any senility so far, but that's a long time to be counting.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
What are O'Malleys chance of getting the VP slot, assuming he doesn't get the nom? The more I read about him the more I like him, although I'm in the minority with that opinion probably.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

Dude could do with laying off touching women inappropriately in public

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
His record on the war on drugs is awful, also. there is a huge amount of human suffering that has resulted from the policies he has pushed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SKELETONS posted:

What are O'Malleys chance of getting the VP slot, assuming he doesn't get the nom? The more I read about him the more I like him, although I'm in the minority with that opinion probably.

Probably none. The Clinton's just love their political enemies after all! Realistically speaking Clinton will probably be in the catbird's seat this election and will be able to afford to choose someone she actually wants to work with/has a use for. I've seen nothing to show that O'Malley has those traits.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SKELETONS posted:

His record on the war on drugs is awful, also. there is a huge amount of human suffering that has resulted from the policies he has pushed.

Also, backing the bankruptcy revisions from ten years back and the ties pertaining thereto.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

I don't know, I feel like this is some weird inverse form of Obama derangement syndrome.

I don't know if you were on the forums for the whole Obamatar thing, but there really was something weird and special about Obama rising to become President. When he hit the scene with his 2004 DNC speech, it blew everyone's fuckin socks off, even though it was just a speech. I think it spoiled us. I mean, when you're just in State government working out of Chicago, you can say a lot of really progressive sounding stuff, and if you're Obama, you can get up on that stage and put some SPANK on it.

Despite all the good-natured voices urging people to see him as a moderate, Candidate Obama had a way of making all the people who felt massively embarrassed of Bush and angry at the ugly turn the country took feel like this black guy with the crazy name was going to be some kind of liberal messiah. I will freely admit that I let myself get caught up in that feeling, because god dammit, I did HOPE that it would be true.

It's a lovely pun, but someone like Obama bouncing up from nowhere is a black swan event. It's not how any of this poo poo usually works. For all of you complaining about Hillary, and how grim and tainted and dynastic and bloodthirsty she and her man are, you have got to understand that this is way more like what we've seen in post-war presidents. They aren't fresh-faced, "clean and articulate" young black men who can speechify like angels and be the first black president.

Obama is the Mule.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No, have faith. It's all part of the plan. Surely Seldon has predicted this and all will turn out well.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

eviltastic posted:

Also, backing the bankruptcy revisions from ten years back and the ties pertaining thereto.

Also he [Biden] was one of the top backers of the RIAA and continues to be so from his VP position.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Shageletic posted:

A pretty interesting article on Hillary's capability:

Hillary isn't running opposed. She's crushing the opposition.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/13/8203605/hillary-clinton-isn-t-running-unopposed-she-s-just-crushing-the

I'd love to see an updated version of this graph every week:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Hillary will choose Castro, obviously, if only to give all the red scare Republicans a heart attack.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

Hillary will choose Castro, obviously, if only to give all the red scare Republicans a heart attack.

Yeeeees, it's catching on :getin:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

baw posted:

Carson on that graph :allears:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Cliff Racer posted:

If McCain had been a stronger candidate he'd have probably gotten to actually pick the person he wanted, Joe Lieberman. Who knows how that would have played though really its immaterial since the financial crisis occurred and, though McCain basically didn't have a shot before that he certainly didn't after it.

Think the country was so anti-Republican at that time it wouldn't have mattered but looking back on it now a Republican and Democrat on the same ticket would of been amazing for toning down the polarization that got worst during
Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

baw posted:

Sanders :(

• Locked thread