Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Loucks posted:

Me too. The S4 does both CDMA and GSM.

But I know I'm being a dumb baby about tethering. I wouldn't need it more than once or twice a month anyway.

Sprint always get the weirdest model for any Galaxy/iPhone release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whatever7 posted:

Sprint always get the weirdest model for any Galaxy/iPhone release.

That's because they're owned by Softbank and nobody likes it weirder than the Japanese.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FAUXTON posted:

That's because they're owned by Softbank and nobody likes it weirder than the Japanese.

Nope its because they always have the weirdest technologies, like Nextel or WiMax. And was too poor to afford the good poo poo. At least Softbank handed in some much needed money.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Quick question, when switching from Sprint to Cricket, and porting my number over from there, does my Sprint billing automatically cancel at the end of the period after I set up all my information and buy the sim card on Cricket, or will I have to set up the account, and then call Sprint separately?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When you activate your new sim card from Cricket after you receive it is when the magic happens. Your number moves over and that will automatically cancel Sprint

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

When you activate your new sim card from Cricket after you receive it is when the magic happens. Your number moves over and that will automatically cancel Sprint

For people who are wondering, this is exactly how it happened when I switched from Verizon too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I switched from ntelos, the magic happened when I ordered the sim, so I was without phone for a few days while I waited for it to arrive. I blame ntelos for being awful.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I have been thinking about getting a FreedomPop hotspot for my grandfather who lives in an assisted living facility with no Wi-Fi.

Currently he's using my old AT&T iPhone 4 on Ting (which uses T-Mobile) so he only gets "3G" service that is pretty slow (so a jailbreak would be pretty much pointless), but the main problem is that you can't do FaceTime over 3G on iOS 7 — having a hotspot would fix this and he's not going to be using much data otherwise.

Does anyone have any experience with FreedomPop's free 500 MB/month thing? I know it uses Sprint and Sprint is generally garbage (although it's actually not bad where he lives), but I'm more concerned with FreedomPop itself since it sounds shady as hell.

Should I just get him a newer (specifically T-Mobile compatible) iPhone? If I do that it would probably just be a 4S though since things have a strange way of completely disappearing from his room while he's gone.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I have the free one they gave out a while ago. If you can find the thread, you can get quite a bit of free data through referrals. The only "shady" thing so far is that if you don't use it during a month they bill you a dollar. Other than that no complaints.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Forgive me if this is a really simple thing, but...

My phone (a Republic Wireless Moto X) is showing a time that's about six and a half minutes slow. It's been off by this amount since at least when I noticed it on Saturday morning. What's going on? Is this a Republic thing, a Sprint thing or a thing with just my own particular phone? Is there anything I can do about it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile is extending Data Stash to people on qualifying Simple Choice prepaid plans.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
As much as I like Cricket, I'm hoping T-Mobile starts focusing on their coverage this next year. They've really blown the game out of the water.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

As much as I like Cricket, I'm hoping T-Mobile starts focusing on their coverage this next year. They've really blown the game out of the water.

You might be in luck:

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/02/t-mobiles-lte-coverage-map-will-look-like-this-by-the-end-of-2015/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm interested in trying T-mo out again as the last time I did building penetration was a major issue in my area (SE Michigan) but they've rolled out a lot more towers / frequencies since then. I'm building up my group plan on Cricket so it'll still be hard to take me away from my $20/month plan but I WANT to support T-mobile who are doing cool and good things.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

That's pretty encouraging, I'm surprised I haven't seen that before. It's pretty widely available in my area but outside of it is a stretch. I think if it weren't for Cricket's group discounts I'd jump over to Harbor.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

I'm interested in trying T-mo out again as the last time I did building penetration was a major issue in my area (SE Michigan) but they've rolled out a lot more towers / frequencies since then. I'm building up my group plan on Cricket so it'll still be hard to take me away from my $20/month plan but I WANT to support T-mobile who are doing cool and good things.

They're picking up subscribers like crazy now; enough so that tmobile-US convinced their parent company to actually pump money into them again. It was only a few years ago that they came out and basically said that they were done with pumping money into the US division and looking to sell.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Building penetration is going to depend on 700MHz, so if that's your goal make sure you select a device from the supported list.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone in Ireland have an endorsement for a prepaid carrier that I can snag a nano SIM from (likely at Dublin airport) so that I have a phone to use in an emergency and a bit of data to use for maps while I'm there on vacation? I was probably just going to go with Vodafone but perhaps someone has some specific anecdotes.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 16, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They're picking up subscribers like crazy now; enough so that tmobile-US convinced their parent company to actually pump money into them again. It was only a few years ago that they came out and basically said that they were done with pumping money into the US division and looking to sell.

They still want to sell out if the government let them.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I'm all for putting money where its earned but in my case TMo just isn't realistic. I go to Montana ~5 weeks/year. Not one tower there. Also just last week I drove from SLC to Boise. EDGE 85% of the way and data just didn't work most if the time. I have 3 days on my $30 plan tryout (again).

My AT&T plan had full blast LTE on the drive 98% of the time. Similar in Montana of all places.

I like Legere, really I do but in the desert West US, TMo is laughably horrid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone in Ireland have an endorsement for a prepaid carrier that I can snag a nano SIM from (likely at Dublin airport) so that I have a phone to use in an emergency and a bit of data to use for maps while I'm there on vacation? I was probably just going to go with Vodafone but perhaps someone has some specific anecdotes.

Sign up for tmobile and use their free international roaming for a month. Works great.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hotsauce posted:

I'm all for putting money where its earned but in my case TMo just isn't realistic. I go to Montana ~5 weeks/year. Not one tower there. Also just last week I drove from SLC to Boise. EDGE 85% of the way and data just didn't work most if the time. I have 3 days on my $30 plan tryout (again).

My AT&T plan had full blast LTE on the drive 98% of the time. Similar in Montana of all places.

I like Legere, really I do but in the desert West US, TMo is laughably horrid.

They just don't have the spectrum (yet) to cover the area that AT&T does. Their 700mhz portfolio will definitely help but they need a strong showing in the 600mhz auction next year in order to really gain ground.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sign up for tmobile and use their free international roaming for a month. Works great.
It's an interesting idea, but as best as I can tell this is for the Simple Choice plans that start at $50? I'm looking at prepaid plans in Ireland that are between €20 and €30 that should be more than enough for my needs. I was just more curious about specific carrier endorsements, and the Ireland thread in LAN seems to have helped a bit there. Thanks though!

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
Is it possible to get an internet only plan for a phone? I'm going abroad briefly and I want to use Harbor Mobile's (T-mobile's) free international data roaming for a month. I will just sign up and cancel after I get back.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone on Cricket getting super slow speeds? I'm only hitting .61Mbps down and .80Mbps up. Been like this for a day or two.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lblitzer posted:

Anyone on Cricket getting super slow speeds? I'm only hitting .61Mbps down and .80Mbps up. Been like this for a day or two.

Good in Detroit area

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

I'm in Omaha, no idea why it chose Washington.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Lblitzer posted:

Random outages and slow speeds were the norm on Cricket when I was with them late last year. From the looks of it, not much has changed.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cricket must have taken off the speed cap recently, I am getting same speed as T-Mobile.

Left: Simple Mobile
Right: Cricket
Bottom: Freedompop

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What's the consensus on Harbor mobile if you aren't legitimately running a business? Do they give any fucks or will I have to make up a company name, etc.?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Geoj posted:

What's the consensus on Harbor mobile if you aren't legitimately running a business? Do they give any fucks or will I have to make up a company name, etc.?

I don't think I even had to make one up when I signed up a few months back.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did you have to speak with a live agent? When I go to finish it wants to start a live chat session with an agent...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Geoj posted:

I'm a current Harbor mobile customer. They give zero fucks. If they press the issue in the chat just make some poo poo up and they will give you the invitation code.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

Did you have to speak with a live agent? When I go to finish it wants to start a live chat session with an agent...

Just tell them you have your own small business. The reason they pretend to ask you that question is that the requirement is from TMobile.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Harbor mobile registration trip report: not sure if anyone else ran into this or was able to BS their way past it but in order to get the invite code to complete registration I had to provide official documentation to verify the account would be used for business purposes. Fortunately a friend of mine has his own LLC and I was able to use a copy of his state business permit to get past the live agent, not sure if "I'm self employed" would still work for registration.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Geoj posted:

Harbor mobile registration trip report: not sure if anyone else ran into this or was able to BS their way past it but in order to get the invite code to complete registration I had to provide official documentation to verify the account would be used for business purposes. Fortunately a friend of mine has his own LLC and I was able to use a copy of his state business permit to get past the live agent, not sure if "I'm self employed" would still work for registration.

This is very strange and I have not seen this. Did you try telling them you are a sole proprietor/independent consultant?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I didn't, in the initial response message it said something about if you are self employed or a contractor they would need to see a DBA statement or other proof of business activity.

I'm guessing T-Mobile might have turned the screws on them with half-assedly confirming "business use" and now they need to see concrete proof instead of "I'm a contractor/self employed."

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Geoj posted:

I didn't, in the initial response message it said something about if you are self employed or a contractor they would need to see a DBA statement or other proof of business activity.

I'm guessing T-Mobile might have turned the screws on them with half-assedly confirming "business use" and now they need to see concrete proof instead of "I'm a contractor/self employed."

I think you just got unlucky. I set up a new line a few days ago and had no issues. Nobody is reporting issues on Slickdeals either.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
FYI for people looking to jump to Cricket, according to this page, the $60/20gb plan expires on April 9th so get it while you can. It looks like the 10gb plan will still stick around but 20gb for $60 is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

FYI for people looking to jump to Cricket, according to this page, the $60/20gb plan expires on April 9th so get it while you can. It looks like the 10gb plan will still stick around but 20gb for $60 is insane.

Thanks for this! Modified the OP.

quote:

Advanced Plan:

Offer expires 4/9/15; subject to change. LTE-capable device and an activation of the Advanced plan is required to get 20 GB of data. Not eligible for Group Save discount. Customers may remain on the Advanced Plan after offer ends. Changes: After offer ends, if you change your Advanced Plan to a different plan or your Cricket account is cancelled, you will lose the promo 20 GB Advanced plan & then existing plans with data allotments & pricing will apply.

Added mention of this to the OP as well! Keep your Advanced plans paid and don't switch back! :v:

EDIT: Cricket is now advertising unlimited calling to Mexico so I'm adding that in to all $50+ plans. Anyone know anything about the new plan that Walmart seems to have with Verizon called Total Wireless? I'm thinking of adding it to the OP if it's a good MVNO..

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 1, 2015