Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So Spring Training on Monday is FREE for anyone to attend. So if anyone in that area wants to come check out the aero kits and hang out with a goon, c'mon down y'all!

Schedule to download/view

On-Track sessions will be from 10:00 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 18:00 CENTRAL

All on-track stuff will have T&S and probably live streaming, so the wait is almost over! :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Wirth didn't bone the aero.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

I hope Wirth didn't bone the aero.

I mean, he did such a good job with the Virgin F1 cars and the new HPD P2....

:stonk:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

I mean, he did such a good job with the Virgin F1 cars and the new HPD P2....

:stonk:

He is also partially responsible for creating one of the worst F1 cars of all time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the virgin car showed up in melbourne with a fuel tank too small to finish the race

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Human Grand Prix posted:

He is also partially responsible for creating one of the worst F1 cars of all time.

when did mclaren sign him?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

He used to post to rec.autos.sport.f1 so he's cool in my book.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

the virgin car showed up in melbourne with a fuel tank too small to finish the race

Gustav Brunner also did this but he isn't retarded.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

that is an awful looking race car and it is beautiful

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat that makes the cars look even more rear heavy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Plus Gustav Brunner designed this, which I always liked.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

All of his cars were good designs with awful/unreliable engines (or inept management, usually both), except perhaps the Ferraris.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It reminds me for some reason of the 80's road course CART cars for some reason.

(the backend that is).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

i miss the days when a minardi could have this many sponsors

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ok that rear shot looks badass

it's very batmobile era modified, when guys with no aero experience made Frankenstein monsters that somehow worked, 'cause they did some math on a bar napkin

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the rear wing assembly is like, early 80s F1 when ground effects were just banned and nobody knew what the gently caress to do. i like it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

It reminds me for some reason of the 80's road course CART cars for some reason.

(the backend that is).

It does.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

the rear wing assembly is like, early 80s F1 when ground effects were just banned and nobody knew what the gently caress to do. i like it

I wonder if the rules allow for more than one rear wing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toleman_TG183

Because if so oh boy.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

(the backend that is).

:eng101: That's the Sanair oval

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

"it will be faster if we just add more wings, right?"
"....sure"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

"it will be faster if we just add more wings, right?"
"....sure"

The Rory Byrne effect.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I imagine why they ended up with a bunch of little wings is that each piece needs to be removable without completely loving up the aero balance across the car. So if you take off a big piece of downforce at the back, youve gotta be able to take some off the front, too. Good way to do that is just stick little wings all over the car, then you can pick and choose pieces to get the balance you want. Especially since any wickers had to be homologated as removable pieces themselves.

I really hope the teams end up running weird, different piece combos. That would be fun.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I really hope the teams end up running weird, different piece combos. That would be fun.

This is entirely possible, and I hope we get to see this happen.

I've been invited to a media walkaround of the Chevy aero kit on Monday morning, so if they let me take pics expect lots of high-res pics :getin:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

FuzzySkinner posted:

(the backend that is).

That reminds me of this:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Pvt. Public posted:

That reminds me of this:

The best ones are from the vendor right outside the Smithsonian. Yes, all of them. :colbert:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/danger-of-indycar-oval-racing-dissuades-senna-and-speed-from-taking-part/

I think for Speed's POV it would make sense in a lot of ways considering the fact he came close to being in Dan's position in 2011 at Vegas. I also think Mike Conway has every reason to feel the way he does considering the amount of horror crashes he's been through.

I am, a tad bit lost as to Senna's attitude among others though. I mean it's called "Indy"Car for a reason. If you would want to race a single race on the schedule, would it not be the Indy 500? Not saying "Go race Texas" or whatever, but would you not want to hit up IMS in May in the same way others want to drive Le Mans in June?

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/danger-of-indycar-oval-racing-dissuades-senna-and-speed-from-taking-part/

I think for Speed's POV it would make sense in a lot of ways considering the fact he came close to being in Dan's position in 2011 at Vegas. I also think Mike Conway has every reason to feel the way he does considering the amount of horror crashes he's been through.

I am, a tad bit lost as to Senna's attitude among others though. I mean it's called "Indy"Car for a reason. If you would want to race a single race on the schedule, would it not be the Indy 500? Not saying "Go race Texas" or whatever, but would you not want to hit up IMS in May in the same way others want to drive Le Mans in June?

What you're saying here is that one person's willingness to risk their life is understandable, and another person's unwillingness to risk their life in the same exact way is somehow not reasonable.

The man doesn't feel the risk is worth the reward.That's ok. Very few do. That's what makes the race great.

He shouldn't have to explain himself.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grayly Squirrel posted:

What you're saying here is that one person's willingness to risk their life is understandable, and another person's unwillingness to risk their life in the same exact way is somehow not reasonable.

The man doesn't feel the risk is worth the reward.That's ok. Very few do. That's what makes the race great.

He shouldn't have to explain himself.

Right.

I didn't want to sound like a "GRR! INDY!" type of guy in this honestly. (which I know I just did, and for that I apologize for sounding like a docuhe) Is oval racing that much more dangerous than road course racing? I mean I understand with IR-05's it indeed was, but I was kind of wondering this.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

His point is Senna et al. didn't try it. Conway and Speed have both tried Indy oval racing and come out scarred.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Senna's decision to not take part in what he considers a dangerous form of motorsport makes sense when you remember that his father was arguably one the greatest and most famous racers in history who died in a terrible crash at a high speed left hand turn.

It's not perplexing in the slightest, regardless of him trying it personally.

e- and yes Fuzzy, oval racing is more dangerous than road racing. Road racing can feature top speeds for a few seconds per lap, oval racing features top speeds being hit consistently for hours at a time. If you crash in a road race, the chances of it happening at the highest speed portion of a track is comparitively low, but on an oval it's likely that the crash happens above 200mph the majority of the time.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 14, 2015

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
*uncle

But yeah, I don't blame the road racing crowd for not wanting to do ovals. Bräck, Zanardi, Conway. All European drivers from road course backgrounds that had horrendous accidents. There's definitely a slight omen.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Senna's decision to not take part in what he considers a dangerous form of motorsport makes sense when you remember that his father was arguably one the greatest and most famous racers in history who died in a terrible crash at a high speed left hand turn.

It's not perplexing in the slightest, regardless of him trying it personally.

e- and yes Fuzzy, oval racing is more dangerous than road racing. Road racing can feature top speeds for a few seconds per lap, oval racing features top speeds being hit consistently for hours at a time. If you crash in a road race, the chances of it happening at the highest speed portion of a track is comparitively low, but on an oval it's likely that the crash happens above 200mph the majority of the time.

Yeah that's kind of what I was wondering.

In any event is there anything Indy can truly do at this point re: ensuring that ovals don't feel like death traps or are they always going to feel that way? Kind of stuck in a weird predicament right now.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

For the reasons already mentioned, you can't do "safe"open wheel oval racing. You are doing top speed all of them time with your sole means of conveyance and control exposed to the air. People will die. It happens.

If you want safer open wheel racing? We already have that series. You want safer oval racing? Already have that too.

Want to see a close race with drivers who are willing (either because of sheer balls or total desperation) to risk their lives to get paid to race? That's IndyCar's niche now. Get rid of that, and you have no one left watching.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The way to do "safe" open wheel racing is to not race them in packs, and have SAFER barriers.

Anything more drastic than that (other than, say, trying to make catch fences safer or whatever) and you end up risking the appeal of oval racing in the first place.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

well hell, I knew that, too

me ain't smart much

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I was wondering.

In any event is there anything Indy can truly do at this point re: ensuring that ovals don't feel like death traps or are they always going to feel that way? Kind of stuck in a weird predicament right now.

closed cockpits, or at least forward extensions to the roll hoop like sprinters have, fully enclosed wheel pods, and taller concrete walls so the cars that get airborne hit a flat surface, for starters

e- though much slower, sprinters are still probably the most deadly form of racing. the drivers, fans and sanctioning bodies seem ok with this and have for decades

this is not a fatal crash so don't worry lol

e2 - hey cool, this was in the related vids, sprint car vs indycar racing with Alex Lloyd

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 14, 2015

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
How to make oval racing safer:

Install 90° banking, so that there is no risk of a high-speed impact into the outside wall.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

How to make oval racing safer:

Install 90° banking, so that there is no risk of a high-speed impact into the outside wall.

the wall of death is incredibly safe, hence the name

fans hold out a dollar and your favorite driver will grab it!

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Alain Post posted:

The way to do "safe" open wheel racing is to not race them in packs, and have SAFER barriers.

Yeah, but once IndyCar found a 1.5 mile package where they got rid of pack racing and put it more in the drivers' hands fans complained and complained and complained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Replace walls and fences with giant piles of cardboard boxes

• Locked thread