Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jose posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is having Frank Gehry design a town for 10000 facebook employees which seems like the kind of thing for the thread

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/mar/10/facebook-zee-town-mark-zuckerberg

This is very upsetting. Why do people keep hiring Frank Gehry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

wayfinder posted:

The Munich Schwabylon—a mall, thankfully torn down since. But that building behind it is just to die for as well!

kinda looks like a homeworld ship

wayfinder posted:

Ferrohaus, Zurich—I think it's some kind of clinic?

sorry but this owns

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Victory City posted:

If a resident living in one of the wards, where he will have only a bed and a locker, suddenly found himself in a financial position where his bank balance had dropped below the minimum required for a ward, then that resident will have to be put out.
Great word choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WynKKY1uPwo
Citizen 5169-Kappa, report to expulsion processing for financial malcompliance.

"Yes, yes, I know it seems harsh... It's just the way it has to go. Don't worry. You won't feel a thing."

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Elukka posted:

Great word choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WynKKY1uPwo
Citizen 5169-Kappa, report to expulsion processing for financial malcompliance.

"Yes, yes, I know it seems harsh... It's just the way it has to go. Don't worry. You won't feel a thing."

'Don't worry. "The Cursed Earth" is just a name.'

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tochiazuma posted:

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

I'm surprised at the amount of front road facing glass. An embassy thread would be cool in its own.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

netally posted:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

Oh hey, those were a lovely ghetto in The Kingsmen

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wayfinder posted:

Ferrohaus, Zurich—I think it's some kind of clinic?

The scale is wrong, but this owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaR5wVL9x2I

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jose posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is having Frank Gehry design a town for 10000 facebook employees which seems like the kind of thing for the thread

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/mar/10/facebook-zee-town-mark-zuckerberg

I can't wait for this to become a completely unintentional solar energy weapon that damages planes or even satellites passing overhead. Any pilot that flies within ten miles of it will risk blindness. Over the course of the first day after completion it starts blinding satellite cameras and carving a swath through the GPS system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Gehry-designed building half of us are moving into in a couple of weeks has a park on top, so it shouldn't be shooting down any satellites at least. (Going to be a sweet place to take meetings, too.)

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
The interior of some pod like houses in Mitaka ward, Tokyo. In a city where soace is at a premium, they made the floor bumpy concrete so you would stay more fit. Seriously.
Imagine being hungover and trying to navigate that mess to get a cup of water from the kitchen.

:stare:

Edit:
Oh god how could I forget this giant robot dong newspaper headquarters in Beijing. Didn't see it on the first 15 pages

Queen Gnome fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 12, 2015

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
RIP Michael Graves. Much like this thread, you had some good buildings and some bad buildings.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Paddyb posted:

RIP Michael Graves. Much like this thread, you had some good buildings and some bad buildings.

His work really offends me. It's just so goddamn banal.

Also his color choices are usually revolting.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Michael Graves was several years younger than Frank Gehry. He also made a teapot that looked like Hitler for JCPenney.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Corek posted:

Michael Graves was several years younger than Frank Gehry. He also made a teapot that looked like Hitler for JCPenney.

ahahahahahaha!!!

E: hitler!!!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

this thing is just off the highway near where i live and it was never inhabited (was apparently put there in 2002), though it was supposed to be some sort of pharmaceutical lab but the windows keep falling off and poo poo

this is what it looks like now

that japanese thing with the gigantic column in the middle is still the best thing in this thread

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

http://www.retrowow.co.uk/architecture/60s/tricorn/reflections.html

This was my local brutalist monstrosity that they knocked down about 10 years ago after condemning it as the ugliest building in britain.
I remember it always smelling of piss and it was graffitied to hell, but it was visually interesting. They replaced it with a flat black expanse of tarmac with probably half the parking capacity and none of the ugly charm.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Penn Jillette's house in Las Vegas is ...special. It's jumble of random poo poo just dumped in the middle of the desert with a lovely fence around it:

Scenic!

They keep adding poo poo to it, too. The front looks like a prison, and the back looks like... well. You know those books that carpet salespeople have, with little squares of the different kinds of carpet in them to browse? Imagine an architect had a book like that for all the different styles of houses they could build, and they took it to a client, and the client said "I love it! We'll go with that!", and the architect was like, "Wait which one are you talking about" and the client said "Uhm, the whole book!!?"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looks like it should be the set of a Nickelodeon show.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
nice house

for a clown to live in

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

wayfinder posted:

... Las Vegas is ...special. It's jumble of random poo poo just dumped in the middle of the desert ...

Jillette's house fits right in

(kidding aside, yeah his house looks pretty ridiculous)

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Corek posted:

Not getting this unless it whistles like a Jericho trumpet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Looks like he saw the Money for Nothing video and thought "yes, I would like a house like that."

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
"So Mr Jillette, what kind of house would you like"

"Just gently caress me up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

wayfinder posted:

"So Mr Jillette, what kind of house would you like"

"Just gently caress me up

He does have a bondage chamber hidden in it

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Penn is one of the gooniest fuckers to ever exist.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Anyone know anything about this house? I see it sometimes driving on the free way and I'm eternally disappointed they painted it a hideous orange. It was such a nice cream/off white color. Now instead of looking like it belongs in tatooine it is tatooine.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Wedemeyer posted:

Anyone know anything about this house? I see it sometimes driving on the free way and I'm eternally disappointed they painted it a hideous orange. It was such a nice cream/off white color. Now instead of looking like it belongs in tatooine it is tatooine.

its wikipedia article is called "the flintstone house" if you want more

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bluemillion posted:

Architectural failures - "Load Bearing Asbestos"

Oh, and I forgot to add to that too: The original plan was to make tearing them down a part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, held in Glasgow.

Until pretty much the entire country pointed out how tasteless tearing down the homes of thousands of people during a celebration ceremony is.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
Here's a few more highlights from Berlin:

The "Haus der Kulturen der Welt" ("House of World Cultures"). As seen in Aeon Flux and several other Sci-Fi films.

Built in the late 50s, the roof collapsed in 1980. The collapse was originally blamed on sonic booms from Soviet jets repeatedly buzzing the nearby parliament (seriously), but was eventually ruled to have been caused by bad planning and shoddy construction work. It took almost 30 years to be rebuilt.

The Gedächtniskirche (Memorial Church). Destroyed in WW2, it was decided not to rebuild it but instead leave it (as, you guessed it, a memorial) and build an ugly boxy concrete church thing around it instead:

The Czech embassy has been posted before. But you can't post that thing without showing the still very 70s interior:

The British embassy:

The Estrel hotel/convention center:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ruebennase posted:

The British embassy:

ok seriously what the gently caress is going on? Why have the British committed to ugly loving buildings?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

boom boom boom posted:

ok seriously what the gently caress is going on? Why have the British committed to ugly loving buildings?

To be fair, there's a bunch of cool British embassies too. The British Embassy in DC is ridiculously opulent, for example.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

boom boom boom posted:

I think they're trying to make themselves look good by comparison.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

idk bout this but a lot of sustainable n alternative-construction home builds are wonderfully hideous cause 1) the wack rear end homeowner is designing the thing from the ground up, often w/ a very tenuous regard for building code, and 2) a lot of construction methods like w/ earthships and cob and so on favour smooth organic curves

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Berlin is the greatest city in the world. Lookit that poo poo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

To be fair, there's a bunch of cool British embassies too. The British Embassy in DC is ridiculously opulent, for example.

I'm betting that one's older.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ruebennase posted:

Here's a few more highlights from Berlin:

The "Haus der Kulturen der Welt" ("House of World Cultures"). As seen in Aeon Flux and several other Sci-Fi films.

Built in the late 50s, the roof collapsed in 1980. The collapse was originally blamed on sonic booms from Soviet jets repeatedly buzzing the nearby parliament (seriously), but was eventually ruled to have been caused by bad planning and shoddy construction work. It took almost 30 years to be rebuilt.

The Gedächtniskirche (Memorial Church). Destroyed in WW2, it was decided not to rebuild it but instead leave it (as, you guessed it, a memorial) and build an ugly boxy concrete church thing around it instead:

Since we love to give our buildings stupid nicknames, these are affectionally called "The Pregnant Oyster" (Haus der Kulturen der Welt), "The Hollow Tooth" (old, bombed-out part of the church), and, my favourite, "Jesus Bunker"

edit: It may not come as a surprise that the plaza around the church is one of Berlin's drug hotspots.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

ruebennase posted:

The British embassy:

I am ashamed of my nation

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I'm sorry this isn't the interior of an embassy, it's either a bar or the inside of a building at a liberal arts college.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Not getting this unless it whistles like a Jericho trumpet.

Really?
Handle is Hitler's hair style. Lid nob is his mustache, and spout and bell are his arm raised in salute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
^^ I think he meant getting as in purchasing

Some of these buildings are so bad, they could be cases for the European Court of Human Rights!!

• Locked thread