Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless Sony Gold Wireless

They even have a sound mix specifically for infamous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, neat. They're not as expensive as I thought they might be either.

What makes them so good though?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm curious if they're worth upgrading to if I already have the Silver headset. Someone posted in here the silver wasn't surround sound but the box says it's 7.1 surround. They were free with my system and if there's no benefit to upgrading other than wireless I'll stop thinking about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Bloodborne is a lot more casual and player friendly than the Souls games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

I hope Bloodborne is a lot more casual and player friendly than the Souls games.

It will supposedly be the hardest of the Souls games to date.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

It sure looks like it from videos. There's always a point in Souls games where I am comfortable enough with them that I go for a no shield run, but I guess this game is designed for you to do that from the beginning.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

In every way? Like even the UI and stuff? That's what I was talking about. Like give me a useful map this isn't 1995 and I'm not playing Wizardry assholes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

In every way? Like even the UI and stuff? That's what I was talking about. Like give me a useful map this isn't 1995 and I'm not playing Wizardry assholes.

I'm not sure how you'd even be able to map some of the areas in the first Dark Souls, the geography of the place is just way too twisty.

Lost Izalith would be easy, though. Lots of red ink and HERE THERE BE DINOBUTTS in big letters.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not sure how you'd even be able to map some of the areas in the first Dark Souls, the geography of the place is just way too twisty.

Lost Izalith would be easy, though. Lots of red ink and HERE THERE BE DINOBUTTS in big letters.

This is a pretty decent map. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

Watching that IGN first 18 minutes video it looks like they streamlined the menu stuff a little. Also it looks like you can finally sell poo poo so its not just clogging up your inventory.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

I always found it very easy to know where I was in those games, and to remember what areas connected to what. I guess it's because the game forces you to actually observe the environment so carefully, since those walls and obstacles and stuff can save your life or end it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

precision posted:

The thought of this made me physically sick for a second. Go away

Unmature
May 9, 2008
According to Cheap rear end Gamer, Target will be doing Bloodborne and a :20bux: PSN card for $65. I walked into Best Buy and a lady there said they'll match it no problem.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

A 3D Metroid Prime style map would work pretty well, imo. Not that it's really necessary; it's usually pretty easy to tell where you are in relation to other poo poo, at least in my experience.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Unmature posted:

According to Cheap rear end Gamer, Target will be doing Bloodborne and a :20bux: PSN card for $65. I walked into Best Buy and a lady there said they'll match it no problem.

hmm, buy bloodborne and get shovel knight for $5, tempting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

goferchan posted:

The thought of this made me physically sick for a second. Go away

Even Etrian Odyssey, games which ASPIRE to be "Wizardry in 1995", have the best in-game map feature ever made so you :frogout:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Athenry posted:

hmm, buy bloodborne and get shovel knight for $5, tempting.

Also, if you pick up a pre order at target, they give you a 5$ gift card

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Also, if you pick up a pre order at target, they give you a 5$ gift card

Don't you have to put $5 down to preorder though?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Athenry posted:

Nope, 1$

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

precision posted:

Even Etrian Odyssey, games which ASPIRE to be "Wizardry in 1995", have the best in-game map feature ever made so you :frogout:

I love EO to death but that system wouldn't really work for Souls, or anything not on a grid. I think a LOT of effort was made in DS to design maps that are navigable just based on landmarks, scenery, and "natural" architecture. I definitely had an easier time learning and finding my way around in Dark Souls than I did in, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition, where I found myself pulling up the map constantly in areas that I'd already spent a lot of time in, just because everything looked so samey. I think there are some pointlessly obtuse systems in the Souls games that I won't miss if they get purged in Bloodborne, but the lack of a map in Souls is just as important as drawing your own map in Etrian Odyssey and the many examples of good area design in those games mean that once you initially find your way around a new zone you'll rarely miss having an in-game map

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Athenry posted:

It would still be five free dollars.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Unmature posted:

It would still be five free dollars.

Its a dollar I promise :) you don't get a dollar off the game though, the dollar just holds your copy and then when you pick it up they give you a 5$ gift card after you pay. Sometimes they let you use it on the game but they aren't supposed to. Between the preorder cards and MY GIRLFRIEND having a Red Card I end up getting all my games and systems there now if I can.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unmature posted:

Someone braver than me report if Wal-Mart will match this too. Is there an actual ad anywhere yet?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Its a dollar I promise :) you don't get a dollar off the game though, the dollar just holds your copy and then when you pick it up they give you a 5$ gift card after you pay. Sometimes they let you use it on the game but they aren't supposed to. Between the preorder cards and MY GIRLFRIEND having a Red Card I end up getting all my games and systems there now if I can.

Wait, WHAT. When you preorder it the money doesn't go toward the game? That's loving bullshit even for a dollar. I guess they get away with it because you're not putting it down on the game you're purchasing that stupid card that's hanging on the peg.

gently caress you, Target, I'm going to Best Buy.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Unmature posted:

Wait, WHAT. When you preorder it the money doesn't go toward the game? That's loving bullshit even for a dollar. I guess they get away with it because you're not putting it down on the game you're purchasing that stupid card that's hanging on the peg.

gently caress you, Target, I'm going to Best Buy.

I guess you missed the part where you get a $5 gift card at pickup.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

precision posted:

From what little has been shown so far, the UI seems to be improved. It's more that the game itself seems extra brutal.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Still, just on principle that's bullshit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm really enjoying Second Son at the moment. After Bloodborne's done with (about six years :v:) I'm thinking of grabbing First Light - I don't think Fetch a particularly interesting character, but is the gameplay enjoyable? Neon's definitely my favourite powerset.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do you not have PS+? It was one of the free games a while ago.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've owned a PS4 for about three days, haha.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So just to be clear about that Target deal:

If I put $5 toward Bloodborne today, then buy it and a $20 PSN card on the 24th, I'll get the game and the card for $60 plus tax? Or would it be $65 plus tax, but they give me a $5 gift card on pickup?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do you not have PS+? It was one of the free games a while ago.

I got my PS4 a week after that ran out and had let my PS+ lapse during the last few months before :saddowns:.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm really enjoying Second Son at the moment. After Bloodborne's done with (about six years :v:) I'm thinking of grabbing First Light - I don't think Fetch a particularly interesting character, but is the gameplay enjoyable? Neon's definitely my favourite powerset.

Neon is the best especially when you get the permanent sprint upgrade. The other two powers after neon are cool and have their uses but let me sprint around forever sniping bitches thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite some qualms I have with the controls, Oddworld just really holds up as such a charming and absorbing game. It really nails that sweet spot between realistic and cartoony that is almost entirely absent in games these days.

One thing I was wondering. I know the game dicks you over if you don't know exactly how to get every mudoken, but do you revisit rupture farms later? There's that huge map at the beginning and it seems like you only hit part of it? Or are you supposed to use that at the onset to find all of them?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

This is a joke but it would be sick to have a game with no waypoints or anything where figuring out the map was part of the puzzle and each area has a different map design--in one place it was a dedicated cartographer, another place might be back-of-the-napkin scribbles, a third looks like a child's drawing, a fourth the scrawlings of a madman. I'd want to be able to plunk my own marker down though just for convenience's sake/because I'm mentally ill and would not be able to play otherwise

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Definitely. It's more than eased my buyer's remorse over the PS4 (hmm, spending habits have been a nuts this yeah so lets pull things back and do more with the stuff I've already-BOUGHT A PS4 FOR BLOODBORNE). Probably helps that it reminds me hugely of Saints Row 4, with the zipping about and combat, but it's also a big reminder of what to expect from the current generation: I don't recall a single loading screen or FPS dip, and the graphics are lovely. :allears:

My PC's showing its age now so I figured what the hell.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
And then at random times the game shuffles up the map on you because you're a note taking nerd

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Despite some qualms I have with the controls, Oddworld just really holds up as such a charming and absorbing game. It really nails that sweet spot between realistic and cartoony that is almost entirely absent in games these days.

One thing I was wondering. I know the game dicks you over if you don't know exactly how to get every mudoken, but do you revisit rupture farms later? There's that huge map at the beginning and it seems like you only hit part of it? Or are you supposed to use that at the onset to find all of them?

You do revisit it but the Mudokons that get 'sploded after you initially leave stay dead. Nearly all the Mudokon rescue is in the Farms themselves. You get maybe half a dozen secret areas containing 30-40 Mudokons total in the intervening areas, but then you revisit Rupture Farms and it's been repopulated with new traps and new Mudokons with the rest of the map unlocking as well.

For reference, if you did absolutely everything right then you should have around 125 Mudokons rescued by the time you get back to the Farms.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

So just to be clear about that Target deal:

If I put $5 toward Bloodborne today, then buy it and a $20 PSN card on the 24th, I'll get the game and the card for $60 plus tax? Or would it be $65 plus tax, but they give me a $5 gift card on pickup?

My understanding is that it is supposed to be the second $65 + a $5 gift card, but some stores will let you use the card on that purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Athenry posted:

My understanding is that it is supposed to be the second $65 + a $5 gift card, but some stores will let you use the card on that purchase.

I guess my real question is: will preordering the game save me money on top of the existing discount, or should I just walk in on the 24th?

• Locked thread