Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GreenNight posted:

I'd watch a show called Everybody Hates Christ.

It's called Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Goons ruin everything :cripes:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

smg77 posted:

Goons ruin everything :cripes:
What, you just figuring that out now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

No, not even close. There's all of the cartoon threads, then stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. And that's just the really terrible ones.

I think earnest stupidity ranks below weak trolling any day.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Hah! This week's Elementary has a very unusual suspect...

Torgo, from Manos: the Hands of Fate, the inspiration for my nick and best MST3K of all time.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Manos del Sino posted:

Hah! This week's Elementary has a very unusual suspect...

Torgo, from Manos: the Hands of Fate, the inspiration for my nick and best MST3K of all time.

I'm guessing you mean a character with his traits, 'cause the actor who played Torgo killed himself.

An lol at the goon who compared Grizzly Man and Dear Zachary to loving JoJo.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

JohnSherman posted:

It's called Seinfeld.

:vince: hahaha drat

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JohnSherman posted:

It's called Seinfeld.

Man I really want to watch Seinfeld at some point. Is it hitting netflix any time soon?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vincent posted:

I'm guessing you mean a character with his traits, 'cause the actor who played Torgo killed himself.

Nope it's literally him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That was a pretty good episode of Elementary.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Banshee was just outstanding this year, goddamn.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh poo poo, Danger 5 Season 2 is on Netflix.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, this is incredible.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 14, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

Oh poo poo, Danger 5 Season 2 is on Netflix.

I'll never watch Danger 5, but I'm curious: was the year-long delay justified?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

Man I really want to watch Seinfeld at some point. Is it hitting netflix any time soon?

Nope!

...it will be streaming on either Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, or Yahoo Screen sometime in the near future instead to the tune of $500,000+ per episode.

Netflix hosed up and licensed Friends instead of Seinfeld.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Nope!

...it will be streaming on either Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, or Yahoo Screen sometime in the near future instead to the tune of $500,000+ per episode.

Netflix hosed up and licensed Friends instead of Seinfeld.

I dunno, when I saw some Seinfeld reruns awhile back it really didn't hold up, for me anyway. Not sure Friends would either though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Never watched Seinfeld but I'd say Friends hold up ok. But there's reruns every day on television here so I don't really care that it's going to be on netflix.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Having Friends on there is not a fuckup. It's still HUGELY popular among nostalgic people in their 30s, and a lot of my students who were 2-3 years old when the show went off the air are watching it for the first time.

Seinfeld may be a stronger show but Friends is doing quite well for Netflix, I'm sure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

An lol at the goon who compared Grizzly Man and Dear Zachary to loving JoJo.

theyre similar.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Chamberk posted:

Having Friends on there is not a fuckup. It's still HUGELY popular among nostalgic people in their 30s, and a lot of my students who were 2-3 years old when the show went off the air are watching it for the first time.

Seinfeld may be a stronger show but Friends is doing quite well for Netflix, I'm sure.

Nah, in my opinion, Seinfeld would have been a far better show. Friends doesn't hold up at all simply because the entire first season is so slow and it's designed around the characters. A lot of the jokes are inside jokes that you only get if you've seen it from the beginning. Where Seinfeld is designed around the jokes. You don't have to know Jerry or Kramer to get the jokes they make, you can watch it out of order.

Watching Friends out of order is frustrating in that regard. But Netflix users primarily binge watch, so that may certainly change things, but I'd gladly take a rerun of Seinfeld over a rerun of Friends, simply because I don't need to have any background knowledge of the show to enjoy it.

Someone once mentioned on here that sitcoms are great live but age terribly after they've finished. Completely agree with that sentiment. I can't enjoy any old sitcom like Full House or Friends because I don't remember the relevance of jokes of the time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Friends characters all have obvious personality traits you can pick up on pretty easily in any episode

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

They're all just six white complainers though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but one of them has the monkey from Outbreak as a pet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Joey doesn't share food!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah but one of them has the monkey from Outbreak as a pet

Remember when I had a monkey? What was I thinking?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I've never actually watched all of Friends. Or much of it, really.

I haven't ever watched all of Seinfeld of most of it either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Congrats you're under 30 or grew up outside the US.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm 24 and British. Seinfeld is my favourite sitcom ever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm both of those things and I've seen all of Friends and Seinfeld.

Friends is the much more accessible and popular show though.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

No that can't be true.

Ravane posted:

I can't enjoy any old sitcom like Full House or Friends because I don't remember the relevance of jokes of the time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mu Zeta posted:

Friends is ridiculously popular outside of the US.

Seinfeld was hidden away on some cable channel.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

I've never actually watched all of Friends. Or much of it, really.

I haven't ever watched all of Seinfeld of most of it either.

You really haven't missed much.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Friends is ridiculously popular outside of the US.

Seinfeld was hidden away on some cable channel.

I blame anti-semitism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gum would be perfection.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Friends is the better Netflix show because you can only binge watch so much Seinfeld before Jerry's annoying voice and constant whining wears you down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was born in 81 and never watched Friends or Seinfeld, but know most of the references due to pop culture.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never been a fan of Seinfeld or Friends, not a big fan of canned laughter shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love Seinfeld but never watched Friends at all. It's one of those long running shows that are hugely popular and that plenty of my friends like but that I've managed to avoid my entire life like The Simpsons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You've never watched the Simpsons?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

You've never watched the Simpsons?

I'm sure at one point I sat through a rerun at a friend's house in high school bored to tears and I don't remember, but no I've never voluntarily watched The Simpsons. The law of averages regarding afternoon reruns says that at some point I've probably seen a whole episode though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^^^ Now that the whole deal is online, you really should go back and watch the best years of the simpsons. In its heyday it was a really excellent show.

GreenNight posted:

I was born in 81 and never watched Friends or Seinfeld, but know most of the references due to pop culture.

I was born in 82 and watched both. How on earth did you avoid them? TV was so much more collective back then; those shows were impossible to avoid. Like if you were a kid around then you were going to be watching the Simpsons and B&B if you weren't forbidden from them (and then you'd do it at a friend's house), and you watched the X Files, etc. By the time we were a little older, the tv would be on Seinfeld/Friends when they were on. Remember when "Must See TV" was a legit thing? TV was different back then.

Anyway, I'm curious, does anyone else think Seinfeld didn't hold up? I loved it at the time like everyone else did, but I think it may have just been so much a product of its time.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I watched Seinfeld in full for the first time a few years ago and thought it was great, even as a person outside the US.

• Locked thread