Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Prav posted:

I'm not sure that I'd describe the Atlanta as a ship that dispenses with ineffective popguns though!

I dunno, they are only 140s. The jap cruiser move away from 140s by tier 3 or 4. And this is a tier 8 cruiser. I would imagine that you would be using he most of the time in it because ap wouldn't pen very well against its peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I don't see ineffective popguns on it. I see brutal DPM murder.

How does that work now? I lost mine in the wipe and it absolutely was hilarious before.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

JuffoWup posted:

I dunno, they are only 140s. The jap cruiser move away from 140s by tier 3 or 4. And this is a tier 8 cruiser. I would imagine that you would be using he most of the time in it because ap wouldn't pen very well against its peers.

The Atlanta is a monster. Wait till people start getting piasters and you'll see.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm less than 20 games in and already in love with destroyers. Managed to sink two enemy ships while being the last ship alive on my team. I ran into a low health battleship, popped smoke and "ran away" until we lost vision then torped his probable path through the smoke. Then I met a cruiser near an island, fired a spread so that he had to ground himself or die, then the other spread at the stationary cruiser. Then they all found me and I died.

Pubbies: Still too heavy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

You'd think that but you'd be wrong. Close in to 6 or so KM from a cruiser and if they keep their side flat to you you'll chunk them for 10-20k a salvo every few seconds. Against battleships it's HE, but it's a nice nuisance load.

Prav posted:

How does that work now? I lost mine in the wipe and it absolutely was hilarious before.

Get in close and multiply 7 turrets by 2 barrels by shooting every few seconds.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

pun pundit posted:

I'm less than 20 games in and already in love with destroyers.

I'm the opposite, I hate driving them. The number of times I've been single shotted or single salvoed today before getting within torpedo range is unreal. Destroyers are like a couple of the light tanks, really fun when nobody is shooting at you. I think they need a survivability buff, they're far and away the weakest torpedo delivery system in the game right now.

Cruisers on the other hand, I'll take some more of that.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Maybe it's only this crazy against bads, or at lower tiers. I can't seem to single-salvo destroyers in my low tier cruisers. But single-spread cruisers in my destroyers? Certainly!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I get 7 fps on the lowest settings, I get 20-30 on the highest and I was getting 30-45 fps during the first of the two beta weekends. It literally makes no sense to me. Also, does anyone know what is causing the sound to go all staticy and lovely?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I'm the opposite, I hate driving them. The number of times I've been single shotted or single salvoed today before getting within torpedo range is unreal. Destroyers are like a couple of the light tanks, really fun when nobody is shooting at you. I think they need a survivability buff, they're far and away the weakest torpedo delivery system in the game right now.

Have you played the IJN destroyers?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

The Atlanta is a monster. Wait till people start getting piasters and you'll see.

What do people mean by "piaster"? I tried :google: but just got some stuff about old Italian money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SuperSix posted:

Have you played the IJN destroyers?

I have a Clemson an a Wakatake. The Wakatake likes to explode just as I'm turning to put the target in my torpedo arc, the Clemson likes to get shot at before I've even seen anything.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McSpanky posted:

What do people mean by "piaster"? I tried :google: but just got some stuff about old Italian money.

Beta-test gold has a different name so no one confuses it for real fake money.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Infidelicious posted:

Can you do the superstructure too, or just the hull?

Whole thing. It's just that the skin is laid out in a large block format with all the random pieces dropped in there so you have to find what you are looking for. I wanted to mess with just the hull in this case.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
Man going from a fully gunpakalypse'd St Louis to a stock Phoenix is jarring as heck. What a poopy ship :flaccid:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does this game cause the volume levels of everything else on anyone elses machines to drop to almost nil when you run it?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Phoenix is one of the few ships that really needs hull upgrades before it starts to work. The Omaha is better and the Cleveland is amazing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Try not getting shot. It's actually pretty easy.

vandiar posted:

Man going from a fully gunpakalypse'd St Louis to a stock Phoenix is jarring as heck. What a poopy ship :flaccid:

Phoenix and Omaha both got an armor nerf. They're fast and have good guns though. In a pinch, you can launch 6 torps and wreck stuff.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You should also constantly be doing S turns at varying degrees and speeds, and weaving between islands especially if there is a destroyer anywhere near you as eating a full salvo of torpedos is no bueno.

Just turning away from them should be fine. You have a long response time, you shouldn't be shortening it by travelling towards them.

Also, I don't even bother repair kitting for fires in battleships if there are destroyers or planes near. You have enough health to withstand a fire, but flooding will murder you.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Does this game cause the volume levels of everything else on anyone elses machines to drop to almost nil when you run it?

It's probably assuming priority over your sound output. If you're on Windows 7 right click your volume icon, select Playback Devices, get into your relevant device's Properties and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in the Advanced tab. I assume it's similar in 8.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Try not getting shot. It's actually pretty easy.

No, it isn't. Certainly not from people who actually have some notion of how to shoot in this game, and doing turns and S patterns to dodge fire only works at long range.

The Tatsuta cruiser is so much better than the Wakatake destroyer at every single thing it's not even funny, all it lacks is a smokescreen.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Evasive maneuvers don't help against players that can't aim!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Prav posted:

Evasive maneuvers don't help against players that can't aim!

True, but they help against people who can aim at long range, when the shell travel time means you get enough time for the steering to work

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

The Tatsuta cruiser is so much better than the Wakatake destroyer at every single thing it's not even funny, all it lacks is a smokescreen.

Had a 3k XP game in a wakatake. Suck it down.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Just hit rank 5, and the captain system is dumb. It's bad that your captains don't get XP from ranks 1-4, which would mitigate it. Just track it silently and bam, you have lots of XP in your newly unlocked captains and everyone is happy.

Instead, you have to immediately dismiss all your captains that they give you and re-buy the dirt-cheap one-skill ones since there's no way to give them remedial education for dummies like you can in WoT. WHY. Why would anyone throwaway a skillpoint for 5000 credits?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My opinion of battleships:

They're really good

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fart Car '97 posted:

My opinion of battleships:

They're really good

That they are.

Destroyers feel like a class of ship who turned up and were told their primary enemy wasn't coming, so go find something else to do. Placeless. Still gonna rip through the alphabets, Tribal, Battle and Daring class ships when they get added though, because :swoon:

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Do we have a goon channel?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No, it isn't. Certainly not from people who actually have some notion of how to shoot in this game, and doing turns and S patterns to dodge fire only works at long range.

Just stop getting shot. Use islands and pubbie distractions to sneak up on people and then kill them in one spread. You can kinda rush battleships, but cruisers shoot quickly enough that they can murder you if you just sail directly in front of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^ "Don't get shot at" is just as stupidly useless advice in botes as it is tanks, it's a combat game, you're going to get shot at, and if you're not getting shot at you're sitting in a spot that is totally useless to your team like CHAI sniping... or you're a Rhoomba. gently caress Rhoombas.

Oh hey that explains why the Tatsuta is better than the same tier destroyer, should have guessed from looking at it - it is a destroyer. It's just wearing a cruiser shirt because it was a destroyer leader, so in game it's getting the best of both worlds.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 14, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Infidelicious posted:

Can you do the superstructure too, or just the hull?

There you go..

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

^^ "Don't get shot at" is just as stupidly useless advice in botes as it is tanks, it's a combat game, you're going to get shot at, and if you're not getting shot at you're sitting in a spot that is totally useless to your team like CHAI sniping... or you're a Rhoomba. gently caress Rhoombas.

Oh hey that explains why the Tatsuta is better than the same tier destroyer, should have guessed from looking at it - it is a destroyer. It's just wearing a cruiser shirt because it was a destroyer leader, so in game it's getting the best of both worlds.

You are complaining that people are shooting you and damaging you when you sail your unarmored ship directly in front of their guns.

The Japanese cruisers are just as fragile as destroyers though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Japanese cruisers are just as fragile as destroyers though.

Yeah, no they aren't, not the ones I've driven anyway.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You are complaining that people are shooting you and damaging you when you sail your unarmored ship directly in front of their guns.

If I don't drive out where their guns can shoot at me I can't really shoot at them either can I?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I managed to catch a destroyer with a full broadside of HE from a St Louis. That was pretty neat. I finally feel like I'm catching on this game.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
You can with torps. It's like the French autoloaders except even better. You get in, launch the torps where they will be, and get out. You don't even need to be in their LOS if you get it right.

Open seas is another matter.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, no they aren't, not the ones I've driven anyway.

If I don't drive out where their guns can shoot at me I can't really shoot at them either can I?

Steps to play destroyer
-Sail around waiting for ships to separate
-Sail around islands and smokescreens avoiding fire
-Sail around distracted ships
-Torpedo ships when they aren't looking
-Sail away

Where are you going wrong here? Destroyers are easy.

It is trivially easy to crit hit all the Japanese cruisers for max damage, and they are way easier to hit. They do go slower, so maybe you aren't suiciding into the other team as quickly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

I managed to catch a destroyer with a full broadside of HE from a St Louis. That was pretty neat. I finally feel like I'm catching on this game.

A St. Louis will basically instapop any destroyer it hits without needing critical damage

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Where are you going wrong here?

What I'm doing is sailing destroyers - where are these distracted ships? When I get anywhere near torpedo range enemy ships actively abandon whatever they were shooting at to primary the destroyer before it fires, about 7 times out of 10. A slow firing battleship that misses the first salvo can be killed, but a battleship that hits mostly kills in the first hit, and cruisers get to fire a couple times first.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So at what ranges should I be using HE? Given I'm on a Myogi with ~ 13k max range

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, it's going to be an awful f2p grindfest but I really want to play this game. This beta invite, whenever it comes, is going to be very bad for my sleep schedule. I am just a huge sucker for ships.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HAHAHA! HOLY poo poo! THEY GAVE THE WEEKEND TESTERS WHO SNUCK INTO THE ALPHA THE ALPHA REWARD SHIP!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

A St. Louis will basically instapop any destroyer it hits without needing critical damage

What I'm doing is sailing destroyers - where are these distracted ships? When I get anywhere near torpedo range enemy ships actively abandon whatever they were shooting at to primary the destroyer before it fires, about 7 times out of 10. A slow firing battleship that misses the first salvo can be killed, but a battleship that hits mostly kills in the first hit, and cruisers get to fire a couple times first.

Look, I can get away with it every game so you're probably just bad at destroyers :shrug:

It's okay, I'm trash at Battleships and my shots always straddle what I'm shooting at.

Fart Car '97 posted:

So at what ranges should I be using HE? Given I'm on a Myogi with ~ 13k max range

Battleships should just use AP all the time, unless you need to kill destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Look, I can get away with it every game so you're probably just bad at destroyers :shrug:

It's okay, I'm trash at Battleships and my shots always straddle what I'm shooting at.

Battleships should just use AP all the time, unless you need to kill destroyers.

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.