Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those aren't redesigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

Are anime redesigns always the worst stereotypes?

Half those women are shocked and horrified to have been suddenly turned into anime.

I am disappointed that it's "Dr. オクトプス" rather than "蛸先生" (that would be "Tako-sensei").

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Good artist

Uthor posted:

Bad artist.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Good artist

Bad artist.

Conner draws a pretty decent version of the Wonder Woman armor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Trast posted:

Conner draws a pretty decent version of the Wonder Woman armor.

On the one hand, she drew this:

On the other hand, she drew these in the same issue:

(The second version of the armor is her official uniform that she wears to the UN to meet with all the nations of Earth.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Wonder Woman's costume has always been loving awful and we're probably never gonna escape it because it's too ingrained these days. I mean you still have people who want Batman to wear blue and grey despite him being in black for the entire holocene.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Prison Warden posted:

Wonder Woman's costume has always been loving awful and we're probably never gonna escape it because it's too ingrained these days. I mean you still have people who want Batman to wear blue and grey despite him being in black for the entire holocene.

Well that's because in actuality a dark blue will blend into the darkness, whereas a black outfit will actually give you a distinct outline in a dark room. :eng101:
Also because 'black and grey' is a design that doesn't really pop off the page like blue and grey. It has a habit of just sort of blending into the backgrounds with a lot of artists.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mind the walrus posted:

It's honestly one of the more believable and human things I've seen a superhero do in a good while.

But someone with DD's superhuman sense of smell should be able to

Actually let's forget I started down that train of thought

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Jamie McKelvie had a crack at a redesign of Wonder Woman, just as a what-if.

Tentatively, I like it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why not just draw Wonder Woman as having badass full-body armor instead of making sure she is always wearing a plate bikini?

I mean if you want to go in the direction above but have it be slightly more cool+sensible, she would basically look like a high-level Skyrim character.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why not just draw Wonder Woman as having badass full-body armor instead of making sure she is always wearing a plate bikini?

I mean if you want to go in the direction above but have it be slightly more cool+sensible, she would basically look like a high-level Skyrim character.

For all the flaws in Injustice's other costumes - this one works ok imho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

On the one hand, she drew this:

On the other hand, she drew these in the same issue:

(The second version of the armor is her official uniform that she wears to the UN to meet with all the nations of Earth.)

To be fair, weren't the Ame-Comi designs already done, and Conner/Gray/Palmiotti and the other artists just had to work with what they had? (This results is a pretty fuckin' bananas series, by the way. It starts Braniac-does-Hitchhiker's-Guide-To-The-Galaxy, and goes through Blackest Night, and ends with the Teen Titans mashed up with the Universal monsters)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, weren't the Ame-Comi designs already done, and Conner/Gray/Palmiotti and the other artists just had to work with what they had? (This results is a pretty fuckin' bananas series, by the way. It starts Braniac-does-Hitchhiker's-Guide-To-The-Galaxy, and goes through Blackest Night, and ends with the Teen Titans mashed up with the Universal monsters)

Yeah, I believe so. I was just pointing out that even a good artist can't save that design.

And I'm not saying an anime inspired redesign is automatically bad, just those have all been the lowest common denominator hyper sexualized stereotypes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Batgirl power ranger is pretty okay, and at least Power Girl's costume is just a few tweaks in that :japan: picture.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Uthor posted:

...I've seen worse.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Uthor posted:

And I'm not saying an anime inspired redesign is automatically bad, just those have all been the lowest common denominator hyper sexualized stereotypes.

Yeah, and superhero comics has some nerve if they're trying to go "lol look how sexualised manga designs are"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

She's getting a full body costume with more armor in July.

But this ain't the costume thread. It's being discussed there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 15, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

Batgirl power ranger is pretty okay, and at least Power Girl's costume is just a few tweaks in that :japan: picture.

It's more Gatchaman Batgirl, and it is pretty good.
The Green Lantern design from that line/series was pretty cool too. It's Jade, but reimagined as a blind, Chinese national rock-climber. So the ring gives her construct headphones to give her Daredevil-vision, and she gets the F-Sharp Bell version of the oath.

And then there's the arc where Black Lantern Flash is just going around being the Flash/Jesse Quick, Ordinary Undead College Girl.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Some years back, one artist pitched a more shoujo-style Wonder Woman, with a younger, more playful Diana, but I am utterly blanking on the artist's name...

Which is too bad, because I was always sad it never got off the ground.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Murata, yeah. We've seen his stuff a lot in the funny and badass threads.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

Some years back, one artist pitched a more shoujo-style Wonder Woman, with a younger, more playful Diana, but I am utterly blanking on the artist's name...

That looks great!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's stupid to rag on an entire category of artists just because there's a few (or more than a few) bad examples. Not only are there are lovely western artists, Sana Takeda did some really fantastic art in the western format.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

zoux posted:

Who's like that besides Taskmaster?

Well, let's see: Constrictor, who was an instructor along with Task Master for the Initiative, and pretty much every C and D lister in and around New York is in it for the money first and foremost. You really don't hear of anyone outside the huge bad guys like Doom or The Wrecking "We totally beat the Avengers" Crew who goes in for big "R" Revenge. Sure, it becomes personal for some but then saving their own necks takes precedence.

\/\/\/That was really one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a superhero movie. That they were able to cast Georges St.Pierre for Batroc (Ze Leapair) was amazing.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batroc is in it for the money and the challenge. He doesn't HATE Captain America, he just knows Cap is The Man, and To Be The Man, You Gotta Beat The Man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

It's also not even the worst Mangaverse redesign, Jean Grey's is somehow a lot worse.

It's barely a redesign that neckline is from around the Maximum Carnage era

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
That's not a neckline. That's a broken zipper.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cangelosi posted:

That's not a neckline. That's a broken zipper.

When life gives you lemons, you buy double-sided tape.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

LoonShia posted:

When life gives you melons, you buy double-sided tape.

I fixed it for you

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I fixed it for you

I can't remember where this is from. The entire scene was pretty good, but this is the only panel that comes up when you Google "black cat ballast".

EDIT: Spider-Man/Black Cat by Kevin Smith.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 16, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
How would ballast make you move faster?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

qntm posted:

Well, if she were a submarine...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They add weight to the front so she has that extra advantage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

qntm posted:

She is being pulled forward by gravity!

Jokier response: Imagine four implants in a line in front of a cliff...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

She throws her boobs like Thor's hammer?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
No, no, the point of ballast is that you can drop it when you need to go faster-

wait a minute...

:gonk:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BTW, my friend got back to me, it's from Spider-Man/Black Cat by Kevin Smith.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

BTW, my friend got back to me, it's from Spider-Man/Black Cat by Kevin Smith.

Of course it is.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

qntm posted:

They obviously rotate to help cancel inertia and minimize torque.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

qntm posted:

Obviously, it's being employed with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm, in order to reduce sinusoidal deplanaration. Duh. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Of course it is.

Oh God, I looked it up and I'm glad all I remember is that panel and not all the rape.