Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if they can actually "fix" the line of sight stuff. Mod it in so enemies past x point can't actually see you unless you fire a loud enough gun? Make the visible playable space larger? Make the screenpeek go just a little further? Any of those would fix the issue, but could/would Cactus be able to put them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's frustratingly difficult for the first playthrough and I kept thinking the game sucked but then the absoluetly awesome last few levels and how much fun Hard mode was made me realize it's just how I felt with the first Hotline all over again. I played about an hour of that game, hated it, then came back 6 months later and had an absolute blast.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

So, how's the game?

Frustrating but fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tower of druaga posted:

Anyone know what's up with the tapes you can find upstairs after Subway

Tape recordings of the phone conversations of those days, I think.

quote:

It's the both one of the best and the worst games ever made. I've never been angrier at a game that, on the whole, I enjoyed.

This sums it up pretty well.

quote:

It's frustratingly difficult for the first playthrough and I kept thinking the game sucked but then the absoluetly awesome last few levels and how much fun Hard mode was made me realize it's just how I felt with the first Hotline all over again. I played about an hour of that game, hated it, then came back 6 months later and had an absolute blast.

Everyone said the last few levels' designs were the cream of the crap but I thought they were some of the best from Richter onward. They still had their low points, but it was a lot less bullshit than some of the other areas. And the last level is great though the final boss is buggy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hard Mode is really fun so far. Getting a perfect run on Homicide was pretty drat fun. I like how you have to be way, way more aggressive at points or you'll get bum rushed and hosed three ways to sunday.

Recklessness is rewarded :getin:

My main approach is to burst through the doors, immediately run into the little room, knock the one guy over, pick up his gun then use it to blow away the people who rush into the room, then cap him in the head while he's still down. Then grab another gun and clean up the stragglers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RBA Starblade posted:

Everyone said the last few levels' designs were the cream of the crap but I thought they were some of the best from Richter onward. They still had their low points, but it was a lot less bullshit than some of the other areas. And the last level is great though the final boss is buggy.

The only levels I really thought were bullshit and unfun were Chapter 11 and all of the Hawaii levels. I got frustrated at some of the Son's and Richter's levels but I didn't think they were a slog, and they were pretty close to the "feel" of the first game's level. But bigger, of course.

edit: Also I heard people earlier complaining about the prison level. Something that I didn't catch onto until the very end of that level is that the "Ducking Prisoners" are not special enemy types, they're just normal mooks who are unarmed. So you can make it easier by just chucking a useless weapon like a shiv to knock them down, and when they pick it up they just behave like any other enemy.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 14, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
The game was fun for me, the criticisms about the levels being too open are kinda valid, but really only for a couple levels, dead ahead being the biggest, and most obvious example. But other than that I think it sticks to the formula of the original that I really enjoyed.

I finally cleared normal, I know hard mirrors the maps, and makes the enemy layouts tougher, but I think somebody also said it adds new enemy types?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

quakster posted:

Recreate the entirety of episode 1 from Doom. As a single map, of course, this is HM2.

I'm actually thinking of doing something like this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Eaten by Tigers posted:

The game was fun for me, the criticisms about the levels being too open are kinda valid, but really only for a couple levels, dead ahead being the biggest, and most obvious example. But other than that I think it sticks to the formula of the original that I really enjoyed.

I finally cleared normal, I know hard mirrors the maps, and makes the enemy layouts tougher, but I think somebody also said it adds new enemy types?

Yes, it does. A few of the 'mini bosses' have been changed up. The boss in the Subway is... interesting now.

e: I really hope the level editor lets you have little mini dialog things with the character heads. It can't be a huge technical obstacle to do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Vidiot posted:

The only levels I really thought were bullshit and unfun were Chapter 11 and all of the Hawaii levels. I got frustrated at some of the Son's and Richter's levels but I didn't think they were a slog, and they were pretty close to the "feel" of the first game's level. But bigger, of course.

edit: Also I heard people earlier complaining about the prison level. Something that I didn't catch onto until the very end of that level is that the "Ducking Prisoners" are not special enemy types, they're just normal mooks who are unarmed. So you can make it easier by just chucking a useless weapon like a shiv to knock them down, and when they pick it up they just behave like any other enemy.

My only real problem with the prison besides the dumb boss fight and the lovely little puzzle at the second area with two flanking rows of gunners and windows is how the crazed guys hitboxes are hosed and you have to swing and hit the air in front of them to knock them down/kill them. If the weapon connects with them it's too late and you die. Also that there's one at the very top just barely visible and I kept missing him. Having the prisoners beating up guards all have melee weapons except the very last one is a dick move too. But stuff like the Son's bank heist mission is how they should have handled all the large maps. It was compartmentalized like HLM1 was. It's a huge level, but you take the first part in thirds. They even start you with a gun so they realized what was going to happen.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

So, how's the game?

On the whole fun but with some somewhat poor design choices that may hamper how much fun a given person can have with the game, depending on a combination of how well they tolerate frustration and how quickly they adapt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Hawaii levels were mad easy and that's with using the knife for everything but the fat guys.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

tower of druaga posted:

Anyone know what's up with the tapes you can find upstairs after Subway

Someone theorizes that since March 10th was the release date of the game, March 16th MIGHT be the release of the level editor.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Also that there's one at the very top just barely visible and I kept missing him.

Is that the shotgun guy? The first time I approached that guy thinking he was going to be unarmed and roid rage charge me and he just insta-shot me dead I was pissed. He was the last guy left, too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Hawaii levels were mad easy and that's with using the knife for everything but the fat guys.

The only part of the Hawaii levels that I didn't like was when you enter the hotel and you're instantly spotted by several guys who rush at you immediately. As luck would have it I crossed the transition with my gun out since I figured I'd probably need it for a nearby big dude or distant gunner, but instead I had to always remember to swap to the knife as soon as I respawned and it got kinda frustrating after a while.

I actually really liked the powerplant, but it helps that it has literally my favorite music in the whole game driving it, plus the sniper rifle.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
What an amazing game. I was worried after the mixed reviews but after finishing hard mode I think I enjoyed Wrong Number more than the original.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Can't speak for everybody, but my complaint had absolutely nothing to do with difficulty and everything to do with them being boring as poo poo.

Though I do agree about them having some of the best music in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Vidiot posted:

Is that the shotgun guy? The first time I approached that guy thinking he was going to be unarmed and roid rage charge me and he just insta-shot me dead I was pissed. He was the last guy left, too.

No I mean the guy at the very top near the back shaking the prison bars. You might be referring to the other guy I was talking about though!

quote:

I actually really liked the powerplant, but it helps that it has literally my favorite music in the whole game driving it, plus the sniper rifle.

That track was great.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got my first ever S by accident on the first level of hard. Basically, you're gunna git gud by getting through the game.

As for the glitchiness, outside the elusive vibrating doormen, it's mostly hitbox weirdness, nothing that makes the game unplayable. The first non-japanese game on PS3 I've played in a while that didn't crash on me.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly after being too busy to play for 2 days and coming back to it last night I've gone from "great game, not as good as the first" to really really loving the game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Shima Honnou posted:

On the whole fun but with some somewhat poor design choices that may hamper how much fun a given person can have with the game, depending on a combination of how well they tolerate frustration and how quickly they adapt.

For me it was not possible to adapt. In the first game I could for the most part compartionalize the levels into overseeable chunks that I could then plan for and execute speedily though not insanely fast. With this if I try to go fast and with the number of enemies that can see me and come from all directions I need to go really fast, being real quick and precise with the crosshair. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but it seemed quite frankly physically impossible for me to play that way. So what I was left with was the whole strafing at corners, strafing at doors, lure out enemies playstyle which is just loving boring.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The game's far from perfect, but it's great!
Problems from the first game are back, and made way more apparent from how much larger the levels are. There are more chances for odd, random, frustrating things to occur from patrol wandering and not getting a preferred weapon after a restart. Larger levels amplify how unforgiving the game is. There are more points of failure to wade through over and over again.
Game's way more into gunplay and windows, which threw me for a loop because I remember doing almost all of HM1 with melee until forced by fatties.
Can't wait to see what the level editors come up with and what the editor itself is capable of. Really hoping that they can mod new characters, abilities, and weapons into the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I recorded a couple more S rank videos if anyone is interested, they're both Richter levels this time. The prison one, and house call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgvKD8vV9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFS8rBnCZmE

Richter's levels seem the most HLM1-ish to me so I like them a lot

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have no clue how you can react fast enough on a controller with this. :stare:

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
So what's the deal with Dead Ahead on hard? I thought the first three parts were ridiculous but they are nothing when compared with the fourth screen. Should I just be careful about what weapons I take onto that screen?

I really like Hard mode so far but this is just silly.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, seeing those videos it just seems that this is not a game meant to be played by me :(

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

GhostDog posted:

Yeah, seeing those videos it just seems that this is not a game meant to be played by me :(

Practice makes perfect. I spent like 15 minutes getting the hang of Execution on my first go, now I can do it in 5 tops. I also spent a half hour on Death Wish :argh:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There was certainly a slump where I felt the game turned into a drag, but then it clicked back and I just loved the final stretch. Didn't encounter any glitches other than an end stage trigger that didn't activate and forced me to restart. Will take a break from it, but I am certainly coming back to do it on Hard later on.

One thing I noticed is that by the end of my playthrough I could almost always tell half a second before I was going to die because I had hesitated or missed a hit or forgot about an enemy. Game's hard but fair. I wonder how a playthrough of HM1 would go now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I have no clue how you can react fast enough on a controller with this. :stare:

I've used both schemes and I actually have more success with a controller than KBAM across both games. Maybe it's just a matter of what you use more.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like mike tyson rampaging through a spinal ward

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah controller is better imo. When you get to the corner of the map and it stops scrolling you can aim more steadily

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Stargate posted:

So what's the deal with Dead Ahead on hard? I thought the first three parts were ridiculous but they are nothing when compared with the fourth screen. Should I just be careful about what weapons I take onto that screen?

I really like Hard mode so far but this is just silly.

You need a melee weapon for the first two guys but it doesn't really matter what you're carrying as you can punch them and take theirs.
After that attract the enemies from the adjacent room over. Just behind the door of the first southern room is the safe space.
Bait the regular enemies patrolling around the centre of the room one by one to the narrow slit between the first and second rooms. Finding the sweet spot where they can see you but you can retreat in time is important. Leave the heavy black guys.
Pick up a silenced weapon from the corpses and kill the rest of the enemies in the southern rooms.
Then go to the top of the room by the eastern path.
The top is fairly straightforward and once thats clear kill the heavies patrolling the centre.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dr Christmas posted:

One thing that confuses me now is why Richter was sent to kill Jacket, who never seemed conflicted about any of his orders. Maybe they were watching him and thought the hooker could expose them? That's the only reason I can think of. Honestly, until this game I thought Richter was working for the mafia.

Richter didn't kill Jacket- just his girlfriend, after the Biker sent Jacket to the hospital. It's why, in the first game, Richter apologizes for killing the girlfriend, not for shooting Jacket.

Rookersh posted:

I wonder if they can actually "fix" the line of sight stuff. Mod it in so enemies past x point can't actually see you unless you fire a loud enough gun? Make the visible playable space larger? Make the screenpeek go just a little further? Any of those would fix the issue, but could/would Cactus be able to put them in?

Probably not- it appears based on changes made in hard mode that the exploitation of the edges of shiftlook and the length of vertical hallways is intentional.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does the Best Time include only successful attempts, or does it account all of the failures?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is there anyway to replay levels without having to go out to the menu and reselecting them?

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Is there anyway to replay levels without having to go out to the menu and reselecting them?

Pause menu. Rewind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can't do that from the score screen.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The S in "Grade: S" stands for Swans.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It also stands for dallaS :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does the Best Time include only successful attempts, or does it account all of the failures?

It does count the failures, because i definitely did not spend 30 successful minutes on Death Wish

• Locked thread