Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

It's not a hard game, just remember to keep the same groups of materia equipped to level them up faster.
Also, invest in enemy materia abilities if you want to break the game. Beta from the Midgard Serpent alone will wreck almost everything early on.

Matra Magic is another good one, that you can get right outside Midgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's not so much of a problem because you get a lot of slots to work with. The bigger problem is that sometimes you have to use certain people who you havent been using, and you have to do a looooot of swapping

The game does have a feature to just swap all the materia from one character to another. Granted, if they have a different amount of materia slots or different linking slots you'll still have to do some manual rearranging. But you shouldn't generally have to unequip all the materia from one character and reequip another from scratch very often.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

The game does have a feature to just swap all the materia from one character to another. Granted, if they have a different amount of materia slots or different linking slots you'll still have to do some manual rearranging. But you shouldn't generally have to unequip all the materia from one character and reequip another from scratch very often.
I've never been able to find that feature and I'm not sure why.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's not intuitive, and I haven't played the game in like 8 years so I can't remember exactly how to get to it. A lot of people never found out it existed. Play around on the Materia screen for a bit and you'll probably find it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's not so much of a problem because you get a lot of slots to work with. The bigger problem is that sometimes you have to use certain people who you havent been using, and you have to do a looooot of swapping

Did you know you can move someone's entire materia set to another char by selecting their name? You can also switch weapon or armor only by selecting the appropriate row.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's not intuitive, and I haven't played the game in like 8 years so I can't remember exactly how to get to it. A lot of people never found out it existed. Play around on the Materia screen for a bit and you'll probably find it.

^^^

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's something like, one of the options under arrange is also exchange, which takes you to the exchange screen. And from the exchange screen while you can move materia one at a time, you can (somewhat less obviously) swap an entire piece of equipment, or even an entire character's loadout, by moving left (?) from the individual materia slots to select the equipment or the character.

I'll absolutely admit that the UI for doing it could be made considerably more obvious. I remember discovering exchanging in general relatively early, but it was quite a long time after that before I discovered mass-exchanging by equipment/character.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm pretty sure it is an option on the PHS screen.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
No, as I and Vil said: Arrange->Exchange->pick name or armor / weapon row under a name. You can also swap weapon and armor materia on the same chat by doing this. It's actually quite flexible.

E: I was going to post screens but I seem to have lost my Vita saves :negative: and it will take me a couple hours to have time to unlock the game enough to show it.

Ee: apparently the Vita can't take screens of PS1 games :smith:. Maybe I'll run through it on my steam copy later.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 14, 2015

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I had a PC save and just took some screens; I'll post them in a second. Redemption!

Here's the arrange option:

And the exchange option!

You can cursor over the single materia, the character's name, or choose an entire row like shown:

Let's switch this materia on Big Balla's weapon here with a rude dude's...

... and done!

That big empty space on the right shows your materia so you can switch out from this screen but hey look this save is maybe an hour into the game?

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 14, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is all blowing my mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what the gently caress

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say it was more hampered by the limits of the time period. ("I'm feeling sad. Time to throw myself off a cliff to perk up!")

When I say that the translation was good for FFVI, I mean more that it actually sounded like somebody who speaks English on a daily basis wrote it. I'm sure that plenty of things were changed, but to be honest when it comes to translation I mostly always prefer a less accurate but more natural sounding one over the reverse.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mechathief posted:

I'm pretty sure it is an option on the PHS screen.

I don't think so?

I do know, however, that FF8 had a (really super useful) Junction Exchange option from the party member switch screen.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, I probably got it mixed up with that. You guys were definitely right-- it's in the Materia screen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My favorite e. Skill was the one outside Costa del sol, big guard? Or something.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mechathief posted:

I had a PC save and just took some screens; I'll post them in a second. Redemption!

Here's the arrange option:

:stare:

That's clickable?!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mechathief posted:

You can cursor over the single materia or choose an entire row like shown:

You can also select a character's name which will allow you to transfer everything they have at once.

I remember using this function constantly over 15 years ago so people finding out about it in 2015 is pretty great. Come on people, it's an RPG, you're supposed to try every menu option you come across. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
How the gently caress do you people not know this? Do you not push all the buttons on your screen at least once?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I figured out how to swap the materia when the one guy said it was possible but i have a habit of spending a lot of time in menus trying every button and direction to make sure I don't miss anything

it's a learned behavior but gently caress if I can remember which game made me have to do it, I think it was FFTA since I didn't have the manual to that game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How the gently caress do you people not know this? Do you not push all the buttons on your screen at least once?

People have quit FFT because they thought the game was just Ramza and Delita vs. 6 different enemies, instead of hitting L1 or R1 at the formation screen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How Rude posted:

People have quit FFT because they thought the game was just Ramza and Delita vs. 6 different enemies, instead of hitting L1 or R1 at the formation screen.

I refuse to believe that there are people this stupid.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I did that, but it was with Tactics Advance.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Andrast posted:

10 year old children can have trouble understanding these kinds of things. Even then, the game doesn't really make it obvious what the gently caress is going on in the formation screen, I could see someone hitting start and getting confused.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

I did this the first time I played because there's 0 indication whatsoever that you can do anything else on that screen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is a difference between making the mistake once/twice at the beginning and literally quitting the game over it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Those aren't buttons, they're words. I looked at "Arrange" and went, "oh, hey, I can arrange my Materia here. Thanks text!"

If it had something around it to indicate it was a dropdown menu I'd feel like an idiot, but as it is I'm just happy to finally know.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I did the same the first time I played and got poor Ramza slaughtered.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
When I was 6 i had to get my dad to help me figure out how to get out of the house you start in in Pokemon Red

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When I first played FF VIII I found it really difficult and barely managed to complete it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nihilarian posted:

Those aren't buttons, they're words. I looked at "Arrange" and went, "oh, hey, I can arrange my Materia here. Thanks text!"

If it had something around it to indicate it was a dropdown menu I'd feel like an idiot, but as it is I'm just happy to finally know.

Almost every button in Final Fantasy VII's menu is a word, and you already know "Check" which is positioned the exact same way opens up a separate menu for checking your magic and such.

I barely understood any English back when I first played VII so materia changing your stats for example did go over my small head, but even then I at least knew how menus worked. So no, you should all continue feeling like idiots. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

When I first played FF VIII I found it really difficult and barely managed to complete it

Same, if you try and play it like other FF games/ RPG's like I did (actually levelling up, using magic and summons to do most of your damage) it really makes life difficult.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game never shows you you can do that in the tutorial when you first get the cellphones so i think people can be forgiven for not catching it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

the game never shows you you can do that in the tutorial when you first get the cellphones so i think people can be forgiven for not catching it

No, but it shows you in the materia tutorial, which happens so early that trading three materias between three characters seems almost pointless :downs:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Supposedly the FF15 demo becomes available for code input (for physical orders) and download (for everybody with digital, and those with successfully entered codes) a minute after midnight leading into Tuesday, Eastern time.

And that miscommunications at SCEA PSN is the reason there won't be a digital pre-download of the whole Type-0 affair (35 gigs?). It took forever to get Tokyo freaking Jungle the day it launched, how bad is this going to be. Same day as Hardline launches.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The amount of 'You can CLICK Arrange?' is almost like 'That's the sky?' in the Phoenix Wright LP.

Wasn't IX the only game from VII-on not to have not have any forced tutorials? Until XIII came along and let you skip every tutorial if you wanted to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ApplesandOranges posted:

XIII came along and let you skip every tutorial if you wanted to.

the whole game is a tutorial

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Mechathief posted:

~stuff~

Empty space on the right shows your materia so you can switch out from this screen but hey look this save is maybe an hour into the game?

Nice, thanks for doing that so I didn't have to :v:

forbidden lesbian posted:

When I was 6 i had to get my dad to help me figure out how to get out of the house you start in in Pokemon Red

My 5 year old is just getting into games now and I have a much better appreciation for how things that I think are intuitive are really not and are just trained behaviours from 30 years of playing video games.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Andrast posted:

I have a friend who quit Mass Effect 2 because he couldn't figure out how to open the first door you come across at the beginning of the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

None of the materia arranging shortcuts were in the original Japanese version of FFVII. They were added to the US release, like the Emerald and Ruby Weapons, and brought back to Japan in the International version.

It took me forever to discover them too. The cool thing about VII is that you can just pick your favourite characters to bring with you, since the only differences are slight stat changes and their limit breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

None of the materia arranging shortcuts were in the original Japanese version of FFVII. They were added to the US release, like the Emerald and Ruby Weapons, and brought back to Japan in the International version.

It took me forever to discover them too. The cool thing about VII is that you can just pick your favourite characters to bring with you, since the only differences are slight stat changes and their limit breaks.

Well, unless your favorite character is Aerith of course!

she dies