Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Good shield agents drink iced coffee.

Ward seems like just the kind of freak that would do that, which explains why he was so good at being a Hydra sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
The bit when Cal was bearing down on Whitehall and was obviously not bothered by his gun has me pathetically excited to see what happens when he actually gets a chance to rage out on someone with no restraint. They've done an amazing job of making him a terrifying, unpredictable threat with only hints at his abilities. His unfazed takedown of the goons in Whitehall's office with his briefcase was one of my favourite things in the show so far.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sierra from Dollhouse had the best superpower though. At least until a psychopathic German took it out of her and plugged it into himself.

I'm still not positive he's actually dead.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Has it actually been confirmed onscreen whether MCU Cal is an inhuman or just a normal dude with exceptional strength and a temper problem?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Slashrat posted:

Has it actually been confirmed onscreen whether MCU Cal is an inhuman or just a normal dude with exceptional strength and a temper problem?

Didn't he kill an entire village of Hydra soldiers?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yea. He raged out on them after they slept with his dog.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Slashrat posted:

It hasn't been confirmed but it's been kind of implied. what with his intimate knowledge of the process and his complete lack of fear for his life in a number of highly dangerous situations.

PriorMarcus posted:

Nah, Hydra killed that village.

Then Cal killed a bunch of SHIELD agents because the Hydra dudes that killed that village were dressed as SHIELD agents and Cal didn't know (or care, probably) about the difference.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cal didn't seem to be able to touch the Obelisk, I don't think he's inhuman. I think he's something, though.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

MikeJF posted:

Cal didn't seem to be able to touch the Obelisk, I don't think he's inhuman. I think he's something, though.

Maybe he's got whatever happened to Mack but some kind of permanent barely-under-control version because Skyemom told him he was beautiful so he calm down a notch?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm hoping he turns out to be powered in some way. There's almost no way he's a regular man based on his strength and lack of fear of guns in his face.

I'm thinking his knowledge of the terrigen process is just from his relationship with his inhuman wife. Since Whitehall was able to extract her power maybe Cal was given power by another inhuman but they gave it willingly rather than being vivisected for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Raina lifted Cal up by the throat after transforming, and he was able to overpower her. He also overcame that HYDRA paralysis device by himself in the midseason finale. So he appears to have actual superhuman powers.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

therobotking posted:

I'm hoping he turns out to be powered in some way. There's almost no way he's a regular man based on his strength and lack of fear of guns in his face.

I'm thinking his knowledge of the terrigen process is just from his relationship with his inhuman wife. Since Whitehall was able to extract her power maybe Cal was given power by another inhuman but they gave it willingly rather than being vivisected for it.

I always figured that Cal just started experimenting on himself once his wife died, in order to be better able to get revenge. We've got precedence in the MCU, as that's kind of what Centipede was doing to their soldiers. The side effect of whatever he's been doing is amusing insanity.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I just put his apparent insanity down to one day stumbling on his wife's meticulously hollowed out corpse and having his daughter abducted.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Cal hating Coulson still feels a bit forced to me. I hope the next episode gets settled with Skye agreeing to call her Dad once a week and then the whole team goes bowling.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

THF13 posted:

Cal hating Coulson still feels a bit forced to me. I hope the next episode gets settled with Skye agreeing to call her Dad once a week and then the whole team goes bowling.

He's an insane person. It is supposed to feel insane. Because he is insane.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also it wasn't Hydra dressed as Shield that destroyed that village. Hydra WAS Shield. Shield is responsible.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

I think it's really, really clear he's more than human and was about to hulk out before Coulson took that shot.

He seems to talk about "ripping people limb from limb" in a very, very literal sense.

The Sharmat posted:

Sierra from Dollhouse had the best superpower though. At least until a psychopathic German took it out of her and plugged it into himself.

I'm still not positive he's actually dead.

I still think Dollhouse could have been a much, much, much better show if Dushku was killed off and it focused on Sierra instead.

That show had a great supporting cast and eventually an interesting plot, ham-strung by the least interesting character played by the worst actress in the whole time slot. Every time it'd switch off from the actors behind Victor (nice to see him on Carter) and Topher back to her, it was the story equivalent of finding a turd in your otherwise fine tasting meal.

Just saying, it's not a coincidence any episode of Dollhouse that could be considered really good had no or very limited Echo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 14, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think Eliza Dushku is strictly a bad actress. But every other cast member on that show made her look like absolute poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you were gonna change the lead Doll character on Dollhouse, make it Victor. Enver Gjokaj's acting was astonishing. He's be almost unrecognisable as a different personality despite being physically identical.

I hope Carter gives him something more to do next season.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

THF13 posted:

In his warped brain he honestly thought he could get Daisy back and have a normal happy family that did go bowling. All he had to do was rage out on Whitehall. Then this weird dude who looks like he was the White House liaison to the FBI shows up with Daisy, and it turns out she respects him more than she could ever respect Cal. Then he stole killing Whitehall away from him, too. Coulson is now the new guy that ruined Cal's life.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

greatn posted:

Also it wasn't Hydra dressed as Shield that destroyed that village. Hydra WAS Shield. Shield is responsible.

Okay SMG.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

If you were gonna change the lead Doll character on Dollhouse, make it Victor. Enver Gjokaj's acting was astonishing. He's be almost unrecognisable as a different personality despite being physically identical.

Oh I agree. I was really glad to see him on Carter; has there been any word on a second run? I heard it was unlikely.

Would be good to see him with an expanded role, though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I kept hoping he'd show up on Orphan Black but no such luck. He did great as Victor as Topher in Dollhouse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Have you not seen the second half of AoS season 1 or Winter Soldier?

Half or more of shield was literally Hydra agents, and Fury never saw it coming.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

greatn posted:

Have you not seen the second half of AoS season 1 or Winter Soldier?

Half or more of shield was literally Hydra agents, and Fury never saw it coming.

What about the half that weren't Hydra agents? The ones that weren't Hydra agents weren't Hydra agents.

At some point Hydra certainly managed to get control over even the highest level of SHIELD projects, like Project Insight, but like you say, mostly Fury never saw it coming. A lot of their poo poo they carried out completely covertly. We have no reason to think that the non-Hydra SHIELD agents had any knowledge or involvement or support of operations like the raid of Baby Mary Sue's village. I'm not sure how someone like, let's say Coulson or Carter, had any responsibility for that.

I mean, thematically, yes, I understand SHIELD was corrupt, and thus in a very broad sense "everyone's guilty", but in a concrete way Coulson and other SHIELD loyalists didn't have any knowledge or involvement with much of Hydra's actions. That's the entire basis for how they were able to avoid detection.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hydra attacks village and kidnaps mum.

Cal goes searching for mum and leaves village to protect infant Daisy.

Good SHIELD agents show up and take Daisy thinking she's in danger because... (?)

Cal finds the mum dead, returns home and kills the entire village in an insane rage over SHIELD taking his daughter.

That's the series of events according to the wiki.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
No if he was SMG he would be posting random shots of the show to show how much it looks like a TV show

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

PriorMarcus posted:

Good SHIELD agents show up and take Daisy thinking she's in danger because... (?)

Cal finds the mum dead, returns home and kills the entire village in an insane rage over SHIELD taking his daughter.

Good Shield were there to retrieve an 084 that they heard of however they hear of those. Didn't the SHIELD agents find a slaughter? Agent Whatshisface said they found the 084 "and the poor thing was covered in blood but alive".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Martout posted:

Good Shield were there to retrieve an 084 that they heard of however they hear of those. Didn't the SHIELD agents find a slaughter? Agent Whatshisface said they found the 084 "and the poor thing was covered in blood but alive".

So, sounds like when Jiayang was kidnapped, they was a bit of a bloodbath and perhaps they tried to take Mary Sue Poots as well. I honestly don't remember exactly what they showed about that event. Is it possible Cal was there when Jiayang was kidnapped, and fought back, but only managed to save Skye?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh I agree. I was really glad to see him on Carter; has there been any word on a second run? I heard it was unlikely.

The show creators are making plans for a second season, but ABC hasn't commited yet. My understanding is, they won't say Yea or Nay until at or near the end of the 2014-2015 TV season.

Martout posted:

Yeah. That's how they found out that the 0-8-4 wasn't an object, but was a person. Poots was alive, covered in blood, but not crying/upset, just calm and stoic.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Bobby and Mack are actually working for Talbot and HAMMER :v: .

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

I think the order is:

- Hydra attacks the village to collect Skye's mother and the Obelisk
- They slaughter everyone and occupy the village
- The Doctor dumps the skin of Skye's mom out in a ditch and skips off
- Good SHIELD gets there shortly after the slaughter begins and finds Skye (somehow), but take heavy losses in the process
- Cal comes back and finds the occupied village shortly after Skye is extracted and basically starts killing just Goddamn everyone
- Once good SHIELD escape, Hydra begins other means to eliminate the agents and recover Skye, causing them to put Skye into adoption and into hiding themselves

.. am I off or does anyone else have it in that order?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
e: ^^ sounds about right but I don't think it's Hydra killing people to find Skye, Whitehall never seemed too concerned with her.

XboxPants posted:

So, sounds like when Jiayang was kidnapped, they was a bit of a bloodbath and perhaps they tried to take Mary Sue Poots as well. I honestly don't remember exactly what they showed about that event. Is it possible Cal was there when Jiayang was kidnapped, and fought back, but only managed to save Skye?

They've never really made clear what happened when Skye was taken by SHIELD, perhaps something we'll find out later this season if we get more Muad'dad flashbacks.

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 14, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Martout posted:

Muad'dad

THAT'S NOT HIS NAME

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

BSam posted:

THAT'S NOT HIS NAME

it's a good thing this one never gets old so we can keep using it :)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Martout posted:

it's a good thing this one never gets old so we can keep using it :)

This had better be unironic.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

I've been tired of the Bobbi/Mack secret for awhile. They definitely know how to keep up the pace on plot threads given they already outed Skye one episode after Fitz tried to keep it a secret. I realize they can't do that for everything, but for Christ's sake, either make the slow build subtle or give it some actual meat beyond "Bobbi and Mack whisper secretively about their super secret for the fifth time".

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think Eliza Dushku is strictly a bad actress. But every other cast member on that show made her look like absolute poo poo.

Dushku's one of those people who should be typecast, because she's very good at playing a particular type of role (Faith, basically), and really, really bad at everything else. Being cast to display the kind of range demanded by a doll in Dollhouse was a mistake, and Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman (to a lesser extent) being awesome made her look even worse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

escalator dropdown posted:

I've been tired of the Bobbi/Mack secret for awhile. They definitely know how to keep up the pace on plot threads given they already outed Skye one episode after Fitz tried to keep it a secret. I realize they can't do that for everything, but for Christ's sake, either make the slow build subtle or give it some actual meat beyond "Bobbi and Mack whisper secretively about their super secret for the fifth time".

Dushku's one of those people who should be typecast, because she's very good at playing a particular type of role (Faith, basically), and really, really bad at everything else. Being cast to display the kind of range demanded by a doll in Dollhouse was a mistake, and Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman (to a lesser extent) everybody being awesome made her look even worse.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

escalator dropdown posted:

I've been tired of the Bobbi/Mack secret for awhile.

It hasn't been going on for that long, and imo it's moving at a reasonable pace. And this week's episode is sure to reveal a big part if not all of it since Hunter basically forced their hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's been literally three episodes I think? She did something with a flash drive in the mid season finale, you found out they wanted the toolbox the first episode back, and in the last episode they had the conversation, considered back up, and had Mack's hand forced.

I kind of think they might be working for Cal, or the inhumans in general. Because their actions are very protective of Skye, but they also keep saying things in front of her that would drive her away, probably towards her father.

• Locked thread