Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

please don't say the words methodis three times in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Brocktoon posted:

Is that guy that got banned from ever returning instruments anymore still around?
His name was azuritereaction on Youtube. I don't remember him name on here though. He had a helldump all for himself at one point.

EDIT: It was butrosbomb. Here's his helldump: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735865

weekly font posted:

Isn't that the guy banned from all Guitar Hero/Rock Band threads? That guy was great.
No, that's Methodis

EDIT: Although I really wanna know his take on the new Amplitude.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 13, 2015

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Orgophlax posted:

No, that's Methodis

I still get a smile on my face every time I get notified that I beat his score.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Orgophlax posted:

His name was azuritereaction on Youtube. I don't remember him name on here though. He had a helldump all for himself at one point.

EDIT: It was butrosbomb. Here's his helldump: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735865

No, that's Methodis

Looks like he finally got his sex/arcade tourism Japanese trip that he wanted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpgSYlTK1JA

Fake edit:
My drums don't work guys :qq: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhDBh8SlKE

Real edit: man, all the pictures are gone from the Helldump thread. They were the best part. :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I don't think he ever got banned from SA, he just never came back after the Helldump thread. Boy was that a fun time in Rock Band history.

I totally forgot what Methodis did to get banned from everywhere, though. Rock Band has been out for this long already???

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

canoshiz posted:

I don't think he ever got banned from SA, he just never came back after the Helldump thread. Boy was that a fun time in Rock Band history.

I totally forgot what Methodis did to get banned from everywhere, though. Rock Band has been out for this long already???

He just wouldn't shut up about the TRUE glory of Frequency/Amplitude-era Harmonix and complained about every last thing the company did.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
A few years back (when Blitz was coming out) I was at the Rock Band panel at PAX East and during the Q&A there was a very awkward dude asking unflattering questions about Freq/Amp and as soon as I heard that Quebec accent, I knew it was him.

He was just as unpleasant in real life as on the forums.

Now butrosbomb, there's a name I haven't heard a in while.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orgophlax posted:

No, that's Methodis

from twitter:
"amplitude will be bad because the current crop of developers at harmonix are try hards and rock band 4 will sell to absolutely no one"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, you don't want try-hards when you make a game. Good games are made by people who half-rear end.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Was butrosbomb the guy who was like, "I only got 99% on Run to the Hills, I better send my drums back for the 17th time because it couldn't have been my own fault"?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Yes

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
flashback friiiidayyyyyyyyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2KycHH-1E

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Between the lack of keys support and no PS3 support, it will have to have a pretty drat impressive track list. Maybe they can at least let you play other instruments on the guitar. Won't Get Fooled Again and Foreplay/Long Time are terribly awkward, despite having great main instrument parts otherwise.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

canoshiz posted:

Someone get Teasdale back in the thread, we need insight!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

pksage posted:

C3 custom song releases for March 13, 2015:

New! Use Your Illusion II Greatest Hits 4-pack (farottone)

Strange coincidence, I was playing It's So Easy literally yesterday and being like "I wonder if there are any other GnR customs I didn't know about." Great timing, there!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Thanks for posting this and not the Judas Priest "Pain and Pleasure" one.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
My favorite memory of billtvshow is seeing he had a 1st place sweep of all the Jerry Naylor songs and upsweeping him :cool:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
billtvshow was a weird dude

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
At PAX East 2011 I remember talking to some goons in line for the Harmonix Rock Band stage. When I brought up I had added Methodis on Xbox Live because it was so much fun to get alerts when you beat his scores, there was this lull in the conversation because everyone thought I was Methodis and were trying to decide whether they should run the gently caress away.

My favorite Rock Band Youtuber was definitely Dogmatic2121, since he would simply show off what each week's DLC was without worrying about stars or FCs. Spent a decent chunk of downtime in college watching his videos and figuring out what was worth buying week-in and week-out.

Edit: Got my hands on Amplitude 2015 at PAX last weekend, my skills have atrophied terribly but it's still fun as loving hell

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

Thanks for posting this and not the Judas Priest "Pain and Pleasure" one.

that video was removed for violating youtube's content standards and now all my friends think i made up a video where a guy gets whipped while singing for a video game then admitting he doesn't wipe his rear end.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Stage Beans posted:

that video was removed for violating youtube's content standards and now all my friends think i made up a video where a guy gets whipped while singing for a video game then admitting he doesn't wipe his rear end.

Okay, so I've apparently been really out of the loop when it comes to Rock Band community culture.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

losonti tokash posted:

Okay, so I've apparently been really out of the loop when it comes to Rock Band community culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFANFgQy0y4&t=169s

Yep.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I blame this thread for causing me this mental anguish

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Wasn't there a youtube video billtvshow did where he literally played a song while his friends whipped him?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's the Pain and Pleasure one.

Also, I think it was his brother who was whipping him.

Why do I remember this? :negative:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I'm finally updating my customs library after a long break. I see the Rock Band Harmonies Project already has Keys and Pro Guitar upgrades for the 2015 DLC releases. :psyduck: God bless those guys.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Minidust posted:

So I'm finally updating my customs library after a long break. I see the Rock Band Harmonies Project already has Keys and Pro Guitar upgrades for the 2015 DLC releases. :psyduck: God bless those guys.

For the first week of 2015 DLC, at least, I didn't notice any glaringly obvious Keys omissions (though I didn't get the A7X song), but some of our authors were absolutely freaking out that they weren't there. Keys players are very...enthusiastic about keys.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of keys, I bought a synthesizer the other day. I've managed to get to terms with playing it a lot quicker than I would have expected to, considering I never had any keyboard lessons. I think a large part of the credit for that has to go to Rock Band keys. Or heck, probably would never have bought the thing if it wasn't for Rock Band to begin with.

Okay, so I never really got the hang of chords in the game, but it's monophonic. :v:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The thing I'm going to miss about Keys and Pro mode in general is how they were given an outrageous points-per-note boost that you could use to undermine all your friends' band scores on some songs, especially ones with chugging bass lines or chord-chord-chord-chord keys parts.

One gem = 25 points.
One Pro gem = 60 points.

So if you were playing something really braindead that just rides the root on eighth notes and got bass groove going, that's 60*6=360 points per gem. For Pro Keys if it was a song with rhythm-style 3-note chord mashing like "I Just Died in Your Arms" or "Only the Lonely", that's 60*3*4=720 points per hit. And that's before factoring in overdrive, which would take you to 720 points and 1440 points per hit respectively.
If you were playing Pro Mode in a band and not just solo, things started getting really outrageous: one Pro Bass gem with a full multiplier and everyone in overdrive at once would take in 2880 points. Just a single gem.
I think they saw how overpowered it was at one point and tried to balance it on Pro Guitar by not allowing chords to be worth more than 2 gems at a time, no matter how many strings were played.

Meanwhile they never fixed the vocals bug that actually makes you score LESS points for using overdrive in a band. Hopefully that's no longer a thing in RB4.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 17, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Harrison posted:

Meanwhile they never fixed the vocals bug that actually makes you score LESS points for using overdrive in a band. Hopefully that's no longer a thing in RB4.

I was not aware of this. How would that even work? It's a multiplier, double points or more, very straightforward, is it calculating the score differently by being in a band? What's even the point?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I was not aware of this. How would that even work? It's a multiplier, double points or more, very straightforward, is it calculating the score differently by being in a band? What's even the point?

If the whole band activates overdrive an expert vocals phrase should be worth 1000*4*8=32000 points per phrase. 1000 being the base score for an "Awesome" phrase on expert, 4 being the singer's multiplier, and 8 being the multiplier bonus for all 4 members in overdrive.
Some unknown math bug reduces the singer's score to 20000 points per phrase. At first this sounds like a balancing decision but it is clearly a bug for two reasons: it directly contradicts the on-screen maths in the HUD, and it only affects an 8x band multiplier; if only three members are in overdrive for a 6x bonus the singer will still score the correct 24000 points (1000*4*6). If the fourth member activates overdrive it actually acts like some kind of bizarro reverse-overdrive against the singer, reducing the singer's scoring capability by 4000 points per phrase (equivalent to missing a phrase entirely) as opposed to adding 8000 per phrase (equivalent to scoring an "awesome" with 4x in overdrive).

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 17, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I might be in the minority here, but I have never been able to care even a little bit about band scores. Maybe it's because the first attempt at non-in-game leaderboards was ScoreHero literally making a board for every combination of instruments on every song, but...

I can totally get behind scores for solo instruments, but band scoring has always seemed pointless to me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Band scores are really fun in an environment where you have people getting together on a regular basis playing the game as a full group locally, working to beat their own scores. I had a lot of fun with this with my friends during RB2, which was probably the height of 'lets play rockband every week' for me and the people I knew. We had enough people that we'd rotate one or two players in and out every couple songs, and there were a few songs we'd always come back to, so beating high scores on difficult songs that we had set previously was really fun.

It wasn't competitive in an online leaderboard sense but it's pretty cool for a more casual sort of push to improve over time with your friends.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The online band leaderboards were kinda nonsense, because who cares about the actual top places those guys are psychos in any game, and the friends scores are all duplicated because they were playing together because they are friends.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Orange Harrison posted:

If the whole band activates overdrive an expert vocals phrase should be worth 1000*4*8=32000 points per phrase. 1000 being the base score for an "Awesome" phrase on expert, 4 being the singer's multiplier, and 8 being the multiplier bonus for all 4 members in overdrive.
Some unknown math bug reduces the singer's score to 20000 points per phrase. At first this sounds like a balancing decision but it is clearly a bug for two reasons: it directly contradicts the on-screen maths in the HUD, and it only affects an 8x band multiplier; if only three members are in overdrive for a 6x bonus the singer will still score the correct 24000 points (1000*4*6). If the fourth member activates overdrive it actually acts like some kind of bizarro reverse-overdrive against the singer, reducing the singer's scoring capability by 4000 points per phrase (equivalent to missing a phrase entirely) as opposed to adding 8000 per phrase (equivalent to scoring an "awesome" with 4x in overdrive).

I just sent this to someone in charge of testing the scoring, so maybe it'll be fixed. Thanks.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Now this is the conversation giving me bad flashbacks.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Now this is the conversation giving me bad flashbacks.

This pleases me greatly.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pksage posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I have never been able to care even a little bit about band scores. Maybe it's because the first attempt at non-in-game leaderboards was ScoreHero literally making a board for every combination of instruments on every song, but...

I can totally get behind scores for solo instruments, but band scoring has always seemed pointless to me.

That was your problem.

I remember when Rock Band originally came out, I was in the top 50 drummers with that in game career drum leaderboard or something like that. Then RB2 came out, and I just never had the time to sit through and try to gold star every single song.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Alakaiser posted:

This pleases me greatly.

Have you ever danced with the devil under the pale moonlight?