Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E-Money posted:

I'm assuming I don't need the global branded ceramic rod for our global 10" chef's knife, or the 8" and pairing knife we put on our wedding registry. Is there anything that I should be looking for in a ceramic rod? I'm seeing one for like $25 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-12-Inch-Ceramic-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B002YK1RAQ/ref=sr_1_1

Compared to like $80 for the global branded one, seems like a no brainer, but wanted to sanity check that there aren't other factors to take into account.

Nah ceramic rods are pretty much just ceramic rods. The cheaper Messermeister rod is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have that exact Messermeister rod and it's good.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Meh has a Shun 4 piece set today for $220. A quick check on amazon shows they total around $400 for the same pieces!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That 6" bread knife seems like a pretty iffy business.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Was gonna comment of how an 8" chef's is small but then noticed the bread knife is 6.5" ....

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want a little waterstone to travel with. Sometimes a I like to get drunk and sharpen my pocket knife in hotel rooms. I have a "medium" grit oil stone but it sucks to work with dry and using water with it doesn't seem to help. I have never really found a small (like cigarette lighter sized) waterstone before but maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at either an 8 or 10 inch Fibrox. Am I right in assuming that the length is the blade, not the overall length? The knife I'm used to is a 9.5" blade, so I'm leaning towards 10. Is it okay to order off of Amazon, or are they going to gently caress up my blade by not protecting it properly for shipping?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the length is just the length of the blade. The overall length might be listed somewhere also but usually when people say "10 inch Fibrox" they mean the blade is 10 inches long.

Dunno about the shipping but I doubt anything bad will happen. They just package up the box the manufacturer puts the knife in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I guess if shipping was going to gently caress up that box, the ones at brick and mortar stores would suck too.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

bunnielab posted:

I want a little waterstone to travel with. Sometimes a I like to get drunk and sharpen my pocket knife in hotel rooms. I have a "medium" grit oil stone but it sucks to work with dry and using water with it doesn't seem to help. I have never really found a small (like cigarette lighter sized) waterstone before but maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

DMT has a set of tiny ones.
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W7EFC-Diamond-Whetstone-Stone/dp/B00004WFTD/

What you're looking for is ski sharpening stones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

DMT has a set of tiny ones.
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W7EFC-Diamond-Whetstone-Stone/dp/B00004WFTD/

What you're looking for is ski sharpening stones.

Those mini stones are perfect!

Also, people sharpen skies?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Those mini stones are perfect!

Also, people sharpen skies?

And snowboards!

Basically it's restoring the edge profile... that's kinda like sharpening.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

And snowboards!

Basically it's restoring the edge profile... that's kinda like sharpening.

Nope, I'm just gonna keep on thinking that every skier is a Bond villein with razor skies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
better get the gently caress out the way when I come 360ing off the ramp these edges are VG10 boy

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Got the Moritaka in the mail. Gravity, does yours have like a black paint like substance on the blade? Do I wash that off somehow or just use it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Got the Moritaka in the mail. Gravity, does yours have like a black paint like substance on the blade? Do I wash that off somehow or just use it?

It's kurouchi finish. Blacksmith's scale. It is a by product of forging. It will come off on it's own over time. I wouldn't touch it. Though some people strip it off with BKF or similar.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Just leave it and enjoy. It doesn't wash off, it is there to protect the metal from oxidation.

Just remember to count your fingers before and after using and make sure the count always matches.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cool. It's my first carbon steel knife so I didn't know what to do.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Used it for the first time and woof. I just tore through a pile of mire poix.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Used it for the first time and woof. I just tore through a pile of mire poix.

Awesome! Glad you like it

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have Shun Elites and sharpen them regularly and out of the box this thing is insane. I didn't think things could be this sharp.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chemmy posted:

I have Shun Elites and sharpen them regularly and out of the box this thing is insane. I didn't think things could be this sharp.

It will get sharper after you sharpen it, at least that is my experience with all of my J-knives. I actually have one that is sharp enough that it can cause problems with some ingredients, namely bell pepper when not cutting against the skin and potato in general. The knife is so sharp that it feels almost exactly the same as swinging it through air, it's hard to get used to.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How does it cause problems? What sort of problems are you talking about?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fart simpson posted:

How does it cause problems? What sort of problems are you talking about?

Imagine you are expecting to encounter resistance when cutting through a thicker or denser part of an ingredient, so you preemptively increase the force on the knife or use more of a slice cut than a push cut, only you encounter no resistance at all and the knife just whips right through what you are cutting. Even if there are no inconvenient body parts in the way it's pretty disconcerting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Imagine you are expecting to encounter resistance when cutting through a thicker or denser part of an ingredient, so you preemptively increase the force on the knife or use more of a slice cut than a push cut, only you encounter no resistance at all and the knife just whips right through what you are cutting. Even if there are no inconvenient body parts in the way it's pretty disconcerting.

Or, just keep your knives this sharp and chop/push cut everything for all time.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Or, just keep your knives this sharp and chop/push cut everything for all time.

I'm talking about stuff like coring bell peppers. Plus I hate when the knife sticks into the cutting board which happens if I use just a little too much force.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm talking about stuff like coring bell peppers. Plus I hate when the knife sticks into the cutting board which happens if I use just a little too much force.

Are you coring peppers the classical / dumb way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KRGi17Xg0Y

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

revdrkevind posted:

"You do this until you have no more courage"

This man is great

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

revdrkevind posted:

I do them the same way Yan does in the video, the unrolling method. It can just be awkward when you are getting no tactile feedback from the knife because it cuts so effortlessly, I can't tell if I'm cutting the ribs, flesh or nothing at all because there is no resistance when cutting.

I can't do the fine shred though, I feel like I'd shave my palm off if I did that.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

goodness posted:

"You do this until you have no more courage"

This man is great

Say what you want about Yan, but the man can cook. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I do them the same way Yan does in the video, the unrolling method. It can just be awkward when you are getting no tactile feedback from the knife because it cuts so effortlessly, I can't tell if I'm cutting the ribs, flesh or nothing at all because there is no resistance when cutting.

I can't do the fine shred though, I feel like I'd shave my palm off if I did that.

If you do it the way he does, where you can see through the pepper, that'll help remedy some of your issue.

But you're not crazy, a knife can be too sharp for an application. For some fish with fine bones, you can actually benefit from a knife that won't fly through the bones but leave them intact / show you where they are. Same idea here. Make do until the edge wears down a bit, and use a less aggressive sharpening method, work on your skills.

Nuclear option: get a Victorinox/Tojiro for the rough jobs and save that samurai sword for when it's needed.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

revdrkevind posted:

If you do it the way he does, where you can see through the pepper, that'll help remedy some of your issue.

But you're not crazy, a knife can be too sharp for an application. For some fish with fine bones, you can actually benefit from a knife that won't fly through the bones but leave them intact / show you where they are. Same idea here. Make do until the edge wears down a bit, and use a less aggressive sharpening method, work on your skills.

Nuclear option: get a Victorinox/Tojiro for the rough jobs and save that samurai sword for when it's needed.

In the related videos suggested for me, I watched a man process a whole cow in under 12 minutes with what looked like a dinner knife (actually a boning knife), a small meathook, and a honer. It was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRuCLXxqjs

I might get to do some hog butchery tomorrow. THe sad thing is, it might be our favorite hog, Russell, who loves ear scratches and is the biggest sweetheart.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

revdrkevind posted:

It was a compliment . That is a loving awesome quote by Yan.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

goodness posted:

It was also the best part of the video

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

goodness posted:

It definitely is awesome. I'm glad that Create has started showing him again.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

In the related videos suggested for me, I watched a man process a whole cow in under 12 minutes with what looked like a dinner knife (actually a boning knife), a small meathook, and a honer. It was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRuCLXxqjs

I know very little of butchery but that seemed very sloppy to me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

deimos posted:

I think it was wasteful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the very least he ruined any chance at rib roasts or short ribs.

That was more of a 'look how fast I can de-bone a side of beef" than "look how fast I can properly break down a side of beef"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

.Z. posted:

I think it was wasteful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the very least he ruined any chance at rib roasts or short ribs.

That was more of a 'look how fast I can de-bone a side of beef" than "look how fast I can properly break down a side of beef"

He does say at the beginning "This is for fun to see how quick I can do this". I imagine this is how a lot of burgers get their start. Anyway, it was interesting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

It's sloppy. Some of the best butchers I've met move at that speed, but with proper technique, and he should probably be doing that with the side hung, no idea why he has it on a table.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

So I have and enjoy a large CCK but wanna splurge on a Moritaka, Kiritsuke is the way to go, right?

e: also just saw that Shun blue series, it looks nice and it's clad Aogami #2, not that I would buy it but at least Shun's doing a nice clad steel now.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

deimos posted:

So I have and enjoy a large CCK but wanna splurge on a Moritaka, Kiritsuke is the way to go, right?

e: also just saw that Shun blue series, it looks nice and it's clad Aogami #2, not that I would buy it but at least Shun's doing a nice clad steel now.

It sort of depends on what you want to use it for, Kiris are good at slicing, chopping, push and pull cutting. If you rock at all I would avoid them. It is double bevel at least so it won't be too different from what you are used to already. Just be careful with the tip, it's very fine and could break if you got it dug into the board or something.

• Locked thread