Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Slavvy posted:

:stare:

What the crikey gently caress is that?

Looks like a moth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

It's a hummingbird hawk moth and I nearly shat myself when it flew over my head. It moves around like a hummingbird and is about the size of a large prawn/shrimp. It's hanging round my garden and I can't track it down to get a good photo. Never knew it existed!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Started trying some stuff. Right now I'm using a ghetto setup, but I'm renovating a spare room to do all sorts of macro in, because weather sucks major balls.

Pillz by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Noodles by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 8, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

toggle posted:

And a flying prawn:

It's cool I didn't want to sleep ever again anyway.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Antz at about 3.5:1

ant by Raikyn, on Flickr

ant by Raikyn, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

And a few more

ant clean up by Raikyn, on Flickr

ants by Raikyn, on Flickr

ant pair by Raikyn, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn posted:

And a few more

These are great. Are you using a reversing ring on them?

Here is a flower:

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

toggle posted:

These are great. Are you using a reversing ring on them?

No, using the canon mp-e 65 macro lens for these

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Holy crap - how do you take some of these amazing "super-macro" shots on a Nikon? I've only just started reading up on this and apparently in addition to "regular" macro lenses there are extension tubes, bellows, reverse rings, non-macro lens using all of the above, etc. Oh god.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Unexpected posted:

Holy crap - how do you take some of these amazing "super-macro" shots on a Nikon? I've only just started reading up on this and apparently in addition to "regular" macro lenses there are extension tubes, bellows, reverse rings, non-macro lens using all of the above, etc. Oh god.

The MP-E is a convenience. One hell of a convenience, sure, but you can get as close as you want with any system.

Good stuff, by the way, Raikyn and co.; it's not my thread (OP is actually long gone), but I appreciate you guys keeping it alive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Got the idea when raiding an art supplies shop.

Colors by cerealbawx, on Flickr

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Got the idea when raiding an art supplies shop.

Colors by cerealbawx, on Flickr

It's simple and I really like it.!

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Just walking around in some recent snow and saw this.

Floof by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Unexpected posted:

This is an enormously open-ended question.

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/ this is a very nice site focused on extreme macro (1:1 to about 20:1). I'd browse around there first. The best/only community I know of focused on this niche photography style is http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/. There are forums for photos in the field, in the studio (dead stuff), equipment, and techniques. I would suggest reading that after the extreme-macro.co.uk site so you have a sense for the basics.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Also don't try to go too far at once.

Between manual focus techniques, using flash/or not, camera settings, patience trying not to scare live stuff, it can be hard enough at 1:2 or 1:1

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think the biggest answer is really...patience. Tons and tons of patience.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Unexpected posted:

Wait until you decide you want to get into focus stacking - a nice, entry level 10x LWD APO microscope objective will cost you $$$$. And having dead bugs in your freezer can be confronting for your wife / lady friends.

A 1.4x teleconverter on a "regular" 1:1 macro lens gets you to 1.4x with the same working distance, and minimal optical compromises (because you'll be shooting at f16+ anyway). You can also use achromat "close-up" lenses to get past 1:1, but at the cost of working distance. I've used Marumi DHG achromats for a few things — mostly microscope work — and they seem pretty good for the price. The Raynox DCR-150 and 250 add-on lenses are excellent as well, although I hated the stupid clip-on adapter they came with. The benefit of achromats is that you can use them on regular zoom lenses, often with very respectable results.

Cross-posting from the Critterquest thread (not super macro, but eh)

Praying Mantis (Tenodera sp.) by spongepuppy, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I have been following the blog of Alex Wild (http://www.myrmecos.net/). He recently took a job as Curator of Entomology at the University of Texas in Austin, and he built a great high magnification setup. He wrote up a blog post about it on his blog at Scientific American.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/compound-eye/2015/02/24/build-a-world-class-insect-imaging-system-for-under-6000/

His post tells you exactly what he uses and how he set it up. I've got a pretty similar setup for studio stacking. In addition to the 5x macro lens one could add microscope objectives to get even more magnification.

There are definitely more low budget ways to get similar results, but this is a good description of what it takes to start from scratch an built a top notch setup. And he is assuming you need to buy photoshop, a camera, a macro lens, basically everything.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Played around with using the HiRes mode on this em5ii for macro shots.

P3010156.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3010159.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3010158.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

Played around with using the HiRes mode on this em5ii for macro shots.

wow.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Saw a frog tonight; they aren't rare around here, I suppose, but I never photographed one before. Turns out this one is unique:

It was also crying (?) from its right eye, I don't think that's normal. Poor guy :smith:

Still a looker though, tears and all.

(excuse the general crappiness of these pics. It was very dark, the little guy was in a difficult spot and I didn't have time to properly diffuse the flash)

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Quick shot of a moth

moth by Raikyn, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Structure by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I like it! Nice color, composition and detail on the wire.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Very cool!

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A before and after shot

before and after by Raikyn, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Nocturnal insect by Raikyn, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple of muck around shots with a reversed 28mm and some extension tubes. Decent upper body workout holding this setup with an attached macro arm and external flash too.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I fired up the focus stacking rig this weekend.

Lady's face

Ladybug from below

Carpet beetle

Ladybug larva face

Ladybug larva

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is beautiful.

Fantastic shots, especially that carpet beetle, and I've got to say you've got some great lighting going. What are you using to achieve that kind of lighting?

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

This is beautiful.

Fantastic shots, especially that carpet beetle, and I've got to say you've got some great lighting going. What are you using to achieve that kind of lighting?

I've been working on different lighting setups over the years.

This setup uses a home-made "gorillazilla" (see John Hallmen) holding the subject, plus two shoot-through flags made of translucent opalux (think rigid tracing paper). Two flashes shoot through the flags from above-left-front and below-right-rear. This is what I used for most of these shots. The carpet beetle only had one light, and I think it was inside a cut ping-pong ball. I'm happy with how the lighting turned out. The two flags worked really well and got me what I was going for.

The LED lamps are just there so I can see what I'm doing while setting up. They are turned off while capturing the images.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

These are amazing!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Got some first hand fun with my 4th instar H maculata and my new Fuji 60mm -

_DSF0891hatchmac by sildargod, on Flickr

_DSF0905hatchmac by sildargod, on Flickr

Not quite as macro as the majority of the shots here, but an angry, escaped Heteroscodra does not make one want to get as close as one would like.

I have to say, I am impressed with the IQ of the 60mm, but it's awkward filter size means I can't slap a dcr250 onto it. Holding a cheapie zoom filter in front of the lens makes for quite interesting effects though-

_DSF0044bubblesssbig by sildargod, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I'd love to get a focus stack rig setup, but time/money..

A couple from today

mantis by Raikyn, on Flickr

butterfly by Raikyn, on Flickr

Wool Carder Bee by Raikyn, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Another mosquito, taken at 5:1

Mosquito , Blood Sucker by Raikyn, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

The people (venus) who made that recent 2:1 lens just announced a new funky macro twin flash. Looks interesting!
http://www.venuslens.net/product/macro-twin-flash-kx-800/

It's a bit like the canon MT-24EX except that the flash heads are on flexible arms, plus it has a focusing light. For people who shoot above 1:1 magnification this could be pretty handy. I'm concerned about how well you can diffuse the flash heads though. At least with the MT-24EX you can fit heavy diffusers on them without the rig sagging. And of course it's fully manual, so no ETTL. It could be really good for a focus stacking rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, the venus tentacle flash would be great for stacking - could be an interesting option for microscope work too if the flash heads are slim enough to fit under the focus stage.