Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a specific situation(making copies of things that are next to impossible to acquire) I was asking for clarification and people's thoughts on. I'm not "flouting" it.

Take it easy chief; I don't think he was telling you that you were coming off as flouting or bragging about how smart you are. He's giving good general advice on how not to get banned when dealing with things that come up to the forum rules red line. If you're already not being an asshat, just continue not being an asshat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure. Guess it comes down text not conveying emotions or intent, leading to misinterpretation.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
:ohdear: My first real bigboy tournament today. Its me (necrons), DA bikes, Ork 175 model horde and a grey knight player in the same group.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

both parts of this analogy are wrong, hth

that's not an analogy

I do wonder about the legality of making casts if the copies aren't sold. It's not like there's a DMCA for models, though my guess is that it falls under the label of reproducing a copyrighted work, which is the exclusive right of the copyright holder.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 14, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

:ohdear: My first real bigboy tournament today. Its me (necrons), DA bikes, Ork 175 model horde and a grey knight player in the same group.

Good luck. Take pictures and let us know it goes!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Good luck. Take pictures and let us know it goes!

I got demolished by the 175 model ork army. Wiped in turn 6.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

I got demolished by the 175 model ork army. Wiped in turn 6.

Did he go on to win it all? I can't imagine low model-count Space Marine armies faring much better.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dunno. Hes playinf againdt an allbike ravenwing atm.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ghost Hand posted:

This guy is awesome looking... sometimes WHF models make great 40k units...

whats with his hosed up abs?

no sexy demon abs, would not

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DJ Dizzy posted:

I dunno. Hes playinf againdt an allbike ravenwing atm.

Can you get some pics and a list of his army?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can you get some pics and a list of his army?

Painboy, pole 55

30 boys, nob, klaw, pole 220
20 boys, nob, klaw, pole 160
18 boys, nob, klaw, pole 148
10 gretchins, runtherd 35

5 warbikers, nob, klaw, pole 130
Deffkopta, rockits 30
Skorcha 35

5 mek guns, kannons 90
5 mek guns, lobbas, 2 ammo runt 96
5 lootas 70

quadgun 50

i alt 1499

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Painboy, pole 55

18 boys, nob, klaw, pole 148
10 gretchins, runtherd 35

5 warbikers, nob, klaw, pole 130
Deffkopta, rockits 30
Skorcha 35

5 mek guns, kannons 90
5 mek guns, lobbas, 2 ammo runt 96
5 lootas 70

quadgun 50

i alt 1499

I wondered if it was the same list. Any chance of a pic or two of the fracas?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Painboy, pole 55
Ork list

I ran a similar list once that got smashed by a squad of fortuned striking scorpions. Every turn the Exarch would kill my nob before he could sing and the rest of my attacks bounced off.

I had three units of big gunz with a screen of grotz and the rest was Boyz. It was too immobile, I couldn't close the gap to the wave serpents so couldn't stop them shooting the crap out of me. This let the scorpions hit units at will.

90+ Orks taken out by >10 models (I managed to shoot them before the first assault and got 1. I killed another 2 with shooting (AP3 Kannons) after they won the first assault and I think in 4 assaults I killed another 3 in combat. I managed to swing once with a power klaw after I multi-assaulted with a unit of Boyz and a unit of Grotz.

gently caress striking scorpions and gently caress fortune.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That honestly sounds like the best game

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
That does sound loving awesome, I would love to run striking scorpions but your experience aside, they are not usually a winning unit with Eldar.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blowing through hordes is exactly what scorpions are designed to do.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's not an analogy

I do wonder about the legality of making casts if the copies aren't sold. It's not like there's a DMCA for models, though my guess is that it falls under the label of reproducing a copyrighted work, which is the exclusive right of the copyright holder.

Honestly as long as they are painted how would anyone even know

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did the new Necron and Harlequin codexes add any new/fun fluff? I got the impression that they deemphasized some of the Grey Knights' unpopular 6th edition wackiness, so I'm curious if they did anything to un-squat the C'tan.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Honestly as long as they are painted how would anyone even know

Weight is the only real indicator after they're painted. Most recasters use resin exclusively (some use pot metal instead of pewter for models that were originally pewter) so stuff that's supposed to be plastic/Finecast may be heavier and stuff that should be pewter will be lighter. Bigger stuff like titans might be heavier because some recasters reinforce some parts during the casting process but who the hell knows how much a Heirophant weighs in hand?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hummmm.... hold up there, that resin spear doesn't look warped enough to be finecast. Before we play, we must weigh our models on this convenient skull shaped (and GW approved) micro scale just to be sure all our models are 100% GW compatible. Remember- if you're not using official GW approved resin within + or - several ounces of tolerance you are supporting heresy!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finally working on my paint backlog:

gently caress.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Boon posted:

That honestly sounds like the best game

It was fun. We rolled kill points and I thought I could swing it, but I made a crucial mistake in positioning. I had shootaboyz and stood 16" away thinking that the Scorpions wouldn't make the charge. They did. That let them swallow a second unit and it was downhill from there. Scorpions are scary quick.

A crappy phone photograph of the tide. There is a warphead in there and a Shokk Attack Gun. Both did pretty well. I had some Deffkoptas that didn't do too much. A battle that showed how soft Boyz are without a Klaw to throw in a few kills.

Yes, that is a book for terrain.

PeterWeller posted:

Blowing through hordes is exactly what scorpions are designed to do.

Thankfully for the greentide fortune is not a gimme any more. It was brutal watching so many Boyz melt and felling so few in return. The guy had two fire-prisms, 3 serpents and 3 scatter-laser warwalkers so put out a fair amount of firepower which softened my numbers.

Rather than swoop in to finish a unit off though, the Scorpions straight up ran in and laid waste Beserker style. A Warboss with a Klaw would have put a stop to those shenanigans.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I had to take second place today in a three-player game after noted despicable Eldar haver Hixson turbo-boosted his remaining two units to contest my objectives on the last turn. He has to call me Warmaster because of a bet he lost from like two years ago so I'm going to bring that up at his wedding.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Did the new Necron and Harlequin codexes add any new/fun fluff? I got the impression that they deemphasized some of the Grey Knights' unpopular 6th edition wackiness, so I'm curious if they did anything to un-squat the C'tan.

No new especially note worthy C'tan fluff in the newest Necdex.

Nightbringer was mentioned to be a shard that many lords are hesitant to use because even in his shattered state he's the most furious of the C'tan about the Necron betrayal.

That's about all I remember.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Necrons have a non-force org formation that is kinda built like IG platoons.

C'tan T7 eternal warrior 4++
All have Power of C'tan: randomized 24" shooting attack that ranges from decent - 1) battle cannon 2) eradicator nova cannon 3) s6 ap4 assault 10 strikedown - to really good 4) large blast barrage 3 autocannon 5) SD AP1 precision shot 6) S9 AP1 tesla
Nightbringer has shooting attack roll 3D6 leadership, AP 2 ignore cover wounds for failing that it can use on top of power
Deceiver is a 12" -2 Ld to enemy bubble + redeploy it and D3 other units within 12" at end of deployment

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like holy poo poo, c'tan.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

On the other hand C'tan only move 6", will get bad powers as often as good ones, and have bad saves. They're probably one of the few units I'd say are genuinely bad in this edition. If you got to roll the powers before selecting their target they'd be way better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I'm trying to use up my extra bits from things like my devastator squads. Is there a use for heavy bolters on infantry or are they mostly a waste?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

panascope posted:

On the other hand C'tan only move 6", will get bad powers as often as good ones, and have bad saves. They're probably one of the few units I'd say are genuinely bad in this edition. If you got to roll the powers before selecting their target they'd be way better.

It's true, they are still far too vulnerable to shooting and they can only fire one weapon a turn. My regular opponent is far more intimidated by a squad of 3 Canoptek Wraiths than he is a C'Tan Shard.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star Man posted:

So I'm trying to use up my extra bits from things like my devastator squads. Is there a use for heavy bolters on infantry or are they mostly a waste?

IA 12 vigilator sgt. gives you an extra heavy bolter and preferred enemy not-tanks, I guess

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Star Man posted:

If you're playing Imperial Fists, Heavy Bolters can be an amusing thing to play around with-they throw out a LOT of shots from a squad and can chew up light infantry surprisingly well. A mix squads with Lascannons and HBs can give you a decent balance of firepower; mix in a Thunderfire Cannon or two and you're handling a lot of bases pretty well (and making some good cover for the Devs to sit in as well.) They're also useful for Leman Russes and SoB Retributors, if you happen to have either of those in need of parts.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
2k Minotaurs w/ DKK Armoured Company:

Asterion Moloc (235) w/ 7-man honor guard, chapter banner (210)
5 Bolter Scouts in land speeder storm (100)
5 Bolter Scouts in land speeder storm (100)
5 Sniper scouts with camo cloaks (70)
Stormtalon with skyhammer (125)
Stormtalon with skyhammer (125)
Stormraven w/ AC/MM (200)
Relic Sicaran w/ hb sponson (155)
TFC (100)

Company command tank - vanquisher, co-axial stubber, hb hull, hb sponson, beast hunter shells (210)
Commissar tank - vanquisher, co-axial stubber, hb hull, hb sponson, beast hunter shells (210)
Battle tank squadron - LR Eradicator (160)

Thoughts?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's a real shame that the hands-down coolest looking weapon in the Devastator kit is also the worst under most circumstances.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AbusePuppy posted:

If you're playing Imperial Fists, Heavy Bolters can be an amusing thing to play around with-they throw out a LOT of shots from a squad and can chew up light infantry surprisingly well. A mix squads with Lascannons and HBs can give you a decent balance of firepower; mix in a Thunderfire Cannon or two and you're handling a lot of bases pretty well (and making some good cover for the Devs to sit in as well.) They're also useful for Leman Russes and SoB Retributors, if you happen to have either of those in need of parts.

Guess that could give me an excuse to paint a space marine a color other than green. I like the Crimson Fists color scheme.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm looking to buy someone a present and I don't know whether to get them the flying Hive Tyrant, or the Crone. Are they both worthwhile units in game or am I buying him a duffer?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The Flying Tyrant is really, really good, one of the best units in the game right now when equipped properly. The Crone (and Harpy, built from the same kit) is decent by virtue of being a FMC that likes to shoot rather than assault, but it's no great shakes. Flyrants have been pretty good for a long time now (since 4E, basically) so I would default to that, but it's not like the Crone is total garbage or anything.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm looking to buy someone a present and I don't know whether to get them the flying Hive Tyrant, or the Crone. Are they both worthwhile units in game or am I buying him a duffer?

Crones are pretty reasonable, or so I've heard, and I believe flying Hive Tyrants (with Twin-Linked Devourers) are considered one of, if not the, best unit in the codex. I don't think you'd be going wrong with either of them.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

AbusePuppy posted:

The Flying Tyrant is really, really good, one of the best units in the game right now when equipped properly. The Crone (and Harpy, built from the same kit) is decent by virtue of being a FMC that likes to shoot rather than assault, but it's no great shakes. Flyrants have been pretty good for a long time now (since 4E, basically) so I would default to that, but it's not like the Crone is total garbage or anything.

Tyranids are actually in a pretty good place now right? I haven't been able to play much if at all ever since the not-mycetic spores came out.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Has anyone played with a tyrant's legion list? I'm not sure what they're particularly strong at or whats a good list for them, but I do enjoy the idea of space marines taking cover behind a bunch of conscripts and or throwing them in the way of bullets.

I'm thinking a good list for them would be:

Lugft Huron, glorious leader of Badab

A centurion (i'm not sure if lugft fills this role or not) solely because it is compulsory

2 squads of 40 man conscript blobs with 4 flamers each

2 squads of 20 man space marine squads with 4 plasma guns each combat squad-ed so eight squads here, if my reading of the rules is correct

2 squads of 3 rapier laser destroyer batteries

and a techmarine with thunderfire cannon

Thoughts?
Also is there even a point to taking retaliator squads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Rayjenkins posted:

Tyranids are actually in a pretty good place now right? I haven't been able to play much if at all ever since the not-mycetic spores came out.

They are pretty solid. Far better than the doomsayers who claim Nids are awful. Tyrannocytes aren't as big a game changer as you'd think, but it's a nice option and for fun games it makes a huge difference. The big change for the competitive players was Leviathan opening up 3 HQ slots and 15pt Troop units.

• Locked thread