Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bagpuss_UK posted:

One of our engineers (with pretty much no people skills) went on site to investigate a down server, and was quite shocked when most of the office staff started crying or giving him evil looks after he started joking about "This server is dead, it is no more, bereft of life it lies in peace..."

The owners daughter and grand-daughter were killed in a car crash the week before - all staff (including this guy) were briefed about it and told to treat them with maximum sensitivity

I can see that. I stopped using "what if so-and-so got hit by a bus ?" to "what if so-and-so wins the lottery and stops answering our calls ?" after a key developer got knocked off his bike and barely escaped with his life and all ten fingers. I also don't email new customers and say I'll take care of their computer that just died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

I thought the English figured out cricket was boring as gently caress and decided to play soccer instead

Can't have, soccer is even more boring.

Or maybe the English like really boring thinks v:shobon:v

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Migishu posted:

Can't have, soccer is even more boring.

You're alright. :hfive:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Migishu posted:

Or maybe the English like really boring thinks v:shobon:v

if you've ever eaten British cuisine you know the answer to this

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The British made fish and chips. And shepherd's pie. And soda bread (bad soda bread is bland as hell, good soda bread is delicious). Granted, at least soda bread is Irish, not English.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The British made fish and chips. And shepherd's pie. And soda bread (bad soda bread is bland as hell, good soda bread is delicious). Granted, at least soda bread is Irish, not English.

Yes but they also named a puff pastry a pudding.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mllaneza posted:

I can see that. I stopped using "what if so-and-so got hit by a bus ?" to "what if so-and-so wins the lottery and stops answering our calls ?" after a key developer got knocked off his bike and barely escaped with his life and all ten fingers. I also don't email new customers and say I'll take care of their computer that just died.

One of our principal engineers (the yum guy) was literally killed in a hit and run riding his bike last year. Wasn't a bus, but bus factor is a thing.

Also, be careful riding your bikes, people

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, my uncle was a competitive bicyclist, then he got hit by a truck. Broke his back and his legs. He can walk, but he's been addicted to opiates ever since.

On the other hand, gently caress bicyclists on college campuses, it's like they are trying to get hit. Maybe it's just the one I went to, but nobody even looked both ways before running a stop sign. And every bicyclist ran every stop sign.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Vicas posted:

if you've ever eaten British cuisine you know the answer to this

I was in England for my brothers wedding

Cider was alright though...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On the other hand, gently caress bicyclists on college campuses, it's like they are trying to get hit. Maybe it's just the one I went to, but nobody even looked both ways before running a stop sign. And every bicyclist ran every stop sign.

If they get hit, they get their student loans paid off early. It's like a aggressively random attempt at sweet sweet insurance fraud.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mllaneza posted:

evol262 posted:

One of our principal engineers (the yum guy) was literally killed in a hit and run riding his bike last year. Wasn't a bus, but bus factor is a thing.

Also, be careful riding your bikes, people

Isn't that the point? poo poo happens and if that particular person is the only person to know that piece of knowledge, you're kind of hosed? I mean, not to be insensitive, but that's the point of that particular saying. That's why documentation/knowledge spread is important.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Gotta agree with this. Fish & Chips are AWESOME. I've only recently had Shepherd's Pie (granted, it was from Costco) and loved it. I've only had Soda Bread once and it wasn't at all what I was expecting and I was quite intoxicated, but it was still quite good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Friends, I would like to share with you an email our support address just received. Please enjoy it in good health.

quote:

Dear Rick (or CEI),

Apart from being a Scientology Expert (Scientology = Scn), my much older half-sister E---- R------ Butler (B---- Butler) is the first child of W----- P. Butler, Jr, M.D., the 'fruit of my virginal mother "M---"C----- C------- T------- Butler'. I would like to explain a few things that are not in the record. W----- P. Butler, Jr. met and married my mother while they were both students at Duke University. They married in 1937 and immediately transferred to Stanford University, Palo Alto, California.

They were both students are Stanford. There's a lot more I can fill in here, but it's probably not important now.
They're child, "B----" was born in the old Palo Alto Hospital in 1939.

For several reasons that are none of your business until I know who you are and what you do with confidential information, my mother was badgered into going to Mexico by and with her husband just prior to WWII. Baby B---- went with them to Mexico.

W----- P. Butler, Jr., M.D. referred to my mother by a pet name, "T----". It was considered cute while she was a student at Duke University. "T----" T-------. Real clever, eh? My mother was beautiful and as smart as a supreme court judge.

My point is, due to WWII, and W----- was a draft dodger, making them drop out of Stanford and take train to Mexico for the "Duration", my mother's marriage with W----- Butler was ruined. There's a whole lot I'm leaving out here. Let me fast-forward and say W----- Butler drove away his wife and baby because he was a self-centered rear end who did not have the balls to be a "C..O.", or go to prison due to strong beliefs against war/violence. W----- Butler was an athiest. He skuttled my mother's education at Stanford. She was a brilliant student. He only cared about his own skin. W----- didn't even give a rat's backside about his wife and baby daughter, B----.

The important point about my mother's first husband, W----- P------ BUTLER, JR., M.D., is that W----- married a second woman named, B------, almost before the ink had dried on his divorce papers with my mother.

Why would you care? Because, "C---- Butler" is the progeny of W----- and B------ Butler.

I'm attempting to contact you because it bothers me that you have many people wondering who C---- Butler is, and you just let people say he's related to who knows who..........

If you are supposed to be the replacement for the CULT AWARENESS NETWORK, after the Scientologists took it over, GOD HELP US ALL. Why the hell should I believe you are not a Scientologist?

It really sucks that you have no interest, or way for individuals to give you information you don't have!!!! For Shame!

Are you supposed to be the experts?

And you are so arrogant, you provide no way to gather new information and new experiences to add to what you allegedly are providing to the public......

FOR SHAME!

What is your problem? C---- Butler is the progeny of W----- P. Butler, Jr and his second wife, B------. It doesn't really surprise me that C---- would drop Acid and think he's reincarnation of a Hare Krishna. My half-sister, B----, the eldest Butler child born 1939, to MY MOTHER and W----- P. Butler, Jr, in Palo Alto, Ca.

I was born in Palo Alto, Ca in 1953.

I defected from Scientology many decades ago. I used to "be on staff" in Palo Alto.

I've helped people get out of Scn, plus I've assisted family members to maintain family connections while staying in Scn.

I'm tired of writing to you who don't even have a place to hear/learn from people who know things.

I tried to put in a username and a password. Your assinine system rejected me, and now 3 hours later I am wasting my time writing to nobody.

How dare you waste my time and energy. Especially because I have so much information to share with you.

I have a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology.

One of my specialties is CULTS AND MASS INSANITY.

How dare you make it a big fat time-wasting thing to contact you.

I believe that info regarding CULTS is serious and should be immediately available to people. YOU SURELY DON'T MAKE IT!!!
BEFORE SCN TOOK OVER CULT AWARENESS NETWORK, WHAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER IS PATHETIC AND THE AVERAGE PERSON CANNOT LEAR WHAT THEY NEED TO VIA YOUR PATHETIC SITE. I URGE YOU TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER - AND STOP TRYING TO SELL YOU LITTLE BOOK RICK!!! PEOPLE NEED TO BE ABLE TO LOOK UP A GROUP/NAME AND GET SOME INFORMATION. IF YOU CAN'T DO A SIMPLE THING LIKE THAT, THEN I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SPREAD THE WORD THAT RICK IS A FRICKIN' FAKE, WITH A BIG MOUTH, BUT HE DOESN'T REALLY KNOW DIDDLY ABOUT ANYTHING!!!! RICK ROSS IS JUST AN ARROGANT SELF-CENTERED BIG MOUTH WHO DIGS ATTENTION. WHAT HAS HE DONE TO SHOW THAT HE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT CULTS???? NADA!

TALK TO ME RICK. Since when are you such an expert? Did you ever experience any Cult?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

anthonypants posted:

Friends, I would like to share with you an email our support address just received. Please enjoy it in good health.

Do... do you work for Rick Ross or something?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

anthonypants posted:

Someone channeling Francis E. Dec, esq.

Oh wow, haven't seen crazy like that in a while

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Went to mexico for reasons I won't divulge until I trust you much more then o do now :tin foil:

*explains why they went to mexico in the next paragraph*

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

anthonypants posted:

I tried to put in a username and a password. Your assinine system rejected me, and now 3 hours later I am wasting my time writing to nobody.

Generate random password, guy assumes you're sending a coded message and mercilessly tracks you down for the cipher; how deep does the rabbit hole go?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

Even in crazy emails, "I have a master's in clinical psychology" comes out.

My wife is the CNO of a psych nursing facility. The frequency with which therapists tell people (staff, her, me at holiday parties, etc) they have master's degree is a running joke, so I find this funnier than I should.

TWBalls posted:

Isn't that the point? poo poo happens and if that particular person is the only person to know that piece of knowledge, you're kind of hosed? I mean, not to be insensitive, but that's the point of that particular saying. That's why documentation/knowledge spread is important.
Well, we were fine, despite it being tragic and all, because nobody's bus factor is very high. I guess my takeaway is that young, healthy people do die unexpectedly, which seems obvious, but somehow wasn't.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

anthonypants posted:

I know you just censored the names but my brain is just interpreting them as censored swear words, inserting expletives into the spaces mad-libs style, and it's making it fantastic.

"I'm attempting to contact you because it bothers me that you have many people wondering who Cock Butler is"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

evol262 posted:

Well, we were fine, despite it being tragic and all, because nobody's bus factor is very high. I guess my takeaway is that young, healthy people do die unexpectedly, which seems obvious, but somehow wasn't.

We have a weird BYOD setup for the grad students where they buy a laptop through the school and we have an image, and loaners they can use if it goes down. The faculty wanted a mac bundle and we weren't set up for them and had zero experience, so we contracted a local company to set up the images. The macs didn't get here in time, so we were late getting them to the company, then the guy who was going to do the image died suddenly. I got stuck doing the imaging and taught myself deploy studio to save myself from building 30 MPB with osx+bootcamp from scratch. At least we had a really good reason for everything being late that one year, I learned a new thing, and got massive brownie points for bailing out my boss.

It was one of those things that of course everything that could possibly go wrong the first year we tried it, did.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

anthonypants posted:

I told you that working there would be fun!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was coming here to post about my grandmother's leg of lamb and Yorkshire puddings in defense of English cooking and got rewarded with a boat load of crazy.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

evol262 posted:

I don't even sugar coat it - I just say "We need this in case <name> ever decides to quit". I don't know where this "bus" thing came from, I suppose it's another management euphemism. On the other hand I'm King Sperg of Loch Spergo Castle so maybe that's why I don't like euphemisms like that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use the bus analogy because it doesn't place blame or have any bad feelings attached to anyone. It's a lot more politically correct despite being a horrible tragedy if it actually happened, simply due to a bus's impersonal nature and the unlikeliness of the event.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's because there's a social game that everyone plays where they all pretend like they're all lifers.

I'm not saying anyone would ever think of quitting, that's absurd, but what if someone got hit by a bus?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's probably because companies just have a hard time accepting that nobody works for the same company for 45 years anymore. I don't know the economic/social reasons, but it just doesn't happen. But since it was like that in the not-so-distant past, the suggestion makes companies feel like people lack loyalty these days.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And you also can't talk about who will pick up the slack while they are on vacation, because taking more than one consecutive week of vacation is heavily discouraged in a lot of places.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I picked up the habit of referencing bus accidents after hearing someone say that they didn't need to document their processes because they would always be around. It's a simple shorthand for "things may not work out as you expect, so plan and document as though someone else might have to start doing your job at any time."

J
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants posted:

RE:RE: A ticket came in..... One of my specialties is CULTS AND MASS INSANITY.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So maybe this isn't the best place to ask but I don't have many other places to turn to.

There's a job that opened up internally that I'm qualified for and pays more, but I'm not sure my manager will give me a good review for. Is it worth applying for something like that? For what it's worth I think he's a very professional person and my team lead is the reason he might not have a good impression.

I probably won't be in this area after a few more years and am mostly trying to pay my student loans off so my goal is to be employed until that happens. Help me ticket thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I picked up the habit of referencing bus accidents after hearing someone say that they didn't need to document their processes because they would always be around. It's a simple shorthand for "things may not work out as you expect, so plan and document as though someone else might have to start doing your job at any time."
Yes. Its a blameless way to ensure continuity.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eldercain posted:

So maybe this isn't the best place to ask but I don't have many other places to turn to.

There's a job that opened up internally that I'm qualified for and pays more, but I'm not sure my manager will give me a good review for. Is it worth applying for something like that? For what it's worth I think he's a very professional person and my team lead is the reason he might not have a good impression.

I probably won't be in this area after a few more years and am mostly trying to pay my student loans off so my goal is to be employed until that happens. Help me ticket thread.

What is the possible downside here? I'm not seeing one.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My own office tends to use 'hit by a lottery', or 'win a bus' for maximum metaphor-mixing.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Endings posted:

My own office tends to use 'hit by a lottery', or 'win a bus' for maximum metaphor-mixing.

I can safely say that if I ever won a Bus in a raffle or something, my office mates would never hear from me again. I'd be too busy driving my bus around probably, or picking up passengers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

I told you that working there would be fun!
The poo poo that pisses me off goes in the other thread, though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't Dick Trauma's Pre-Tony boss, in fact, get hit by a bus?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I kinda wonder what has happened to Tony following Trauma's :yotj: out of there.

I can only pray he was frog marched out of the building when he broke something else and didn't have anyone left to shift blame to, but wish in one hand, crap in the other...

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 15, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Eldercain posted:

There's a job that opened up internally that I'm qualified for and pays more, but I'm not sure my manager will give me a good review for.

Don't list your manager as a reference if he won't give you a good one. I know it's internal but go with colleagues instead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Still makes me mad that BMC EOL'd Service Desk Express. It was a really good and crazy-flexible small- to mid-market tool.

Of course it sucked if you didn't config it right. Just like all of BMC's other products.

A single tear just fell from my eye.

Let me go back to updating my remedy tickets, selecting device names from a dropdown containing over 100k entires that I must manually scroll through, because our Remedy Team decided that nobody could be trusted to free type our own device names in. Of course the only way you can scroll is by clicking the arrow button, why would you want to use a scroll wheel?

We swear we're working on improving it everyone. Please ignore the fact that half of the remedy guys were fired two weeks after we launched the web app.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

Of course the only way you can scroll is by clicking the arrow button, why would you want to use a scroll wheel?

I don't even know how you manage this with modern frameworks unless they're deliberately trapping and swallowing the events. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I don't even know how you manage this with modern frameworks unless they're deliberately trapping and swallowing the events. :psyduck:

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's because it's not actually the browser/OS's scroll mechanism, so it's not actually a scrollable object technically - they're implementing their entire own version of "scrolling".

• Locked thread