Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My team melted away and an enemy battleship was barreling down on my poor carrier. So I tried to ram it, without much success. He was taking his sweet time sinking me so I managed to get my torp bombers up and drop an impressive spread. But unfortunately a shot took out my rudder and I sailed helplessly into my own torpedoes. :downs:

Later the game thought that my tier 6 carrier was perfectly suitable to go up against a tier 8 carrier. No other carriers. I had the 1 torp, 1 dive and 1 fight mod and he cruised in with a 2 torp and 2 fight. I noticed right away by looking at his aircraft maneuvering that he knew what he was doing and after crushing my inferior fighters he just beelined for me and dropped two manual torp loads from very close range and sank me. Freaking bullshit. I don't mind losing to a better player but he had such a ridiculous advantage over me I couldn't even pretend I had a chance.

A lot of pubbies were crying up the chat about overpowered torpedoes and torpedo bombers today. :3:
Their boating skills were on par with the people in WoT who park their tanks out on in open fields nowhere near any cover and then cry about arty being too strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poil posted:

My team melted away and an enemy battleship was barreling down on my poor carrier. So I tried to ram it, without much success. He was taking his sweet time sinking me so I managed to get my torp bombers up and drop an impressive spread. But unfortunately a shot took out my rudder and I sailed helplessly into my own torpedoes. :downs:

Later the game thought that my tier 6 carrier was perfectly suitable to go up against a tier 8 carrier. No other carriers. I had the 1 torp, 1 dive and 1 fight mod and he cruised in with a 2 torp and 2 fight. I noticed right away by looking at his aircraft maneuvering that he knew what he was doing and after crushing my inferior fighters he just beelined for me and dropped two manual torp loads from very close range and sank me. Freaking bullshit. I don't mind losing to a better player but he had such a ridiculous advantage over me I couldn't even pretend I had a chance.

A lot of pubbies were crying up the chat about overpowered torpedoes and torpedo bombers today. :3:
Their boating skills were on par with the people in WoT who park their tanks out on in open fields nowhere near any cover and then cry about arty being too strong.

Carrier two tiers higher specifically kitted out to kill carriers?

No loving poo poo he beat you.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Watching leaked alpha vids made it look like the gunnery was pretty much Battlestations: Midway. Playing the beta, yeah, it is pretty much a 1:1 copy, so if you ever learned how to aim in that, you will be the best shot on your team.

Shame they stripped out the pilotable torp and dive and level bombers, and the flooding model, and the destroyable bases, and the submarines but added a grind?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Somebody on my team decided to cover my platoonmate's destroyer by, well, covering him in torps.

Halfway later in the game most of the destroyers collapsed on a St. Louis and I accidentally hit that guy with a spread I fired. I fired right after the St. Louis died and hit a 4 km shot on him with no lead. I'm actually really proud of that salvo.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

My favorite shots are the ones where your aim is off and 3/4 of the salvo misses, but then one or two shots go wide and hit dead on for full damage and crits.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm starting to really dislike Fault Line.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I wish there were more maps, in general, but oh well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
What happened to the ice map? I saw it in both weekend events, but haven't seen it yet on closed. Neither in low tiers, or in my ranger.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The maps feel ridiculously cramped.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

And here my main complaint with Fault Line is that nothing ever loving happens. Of course, the fact that islands block either your shortest course to the action or your line of fire like 90% of the time isn't helping there.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is really fun and I can't wait to see it make Navy Field go down like the Lusitania.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Today I got was driving a BB and two DDs let a volley of torpedoes off at me and another BB near me. We both went into evasive turns that caused our hulls to brush together.

We instantly stuck together and stopped dead in the water and both volleys of torpedoes went wide when I should have eaten a few and the other guy should have been wrecked. But we both came out scratch free and proceeded to wipe the destroyers.

I had that happen to a teammate and I at the beginning of a match when we turned into each other. We tried going in opposite directions but were held to each other like magnets. I had to come to a full stop in order to magically demagnetize my ship from his. Physics is a cool subject.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Cleveland is the best ship:

The game ended with me in the cap circle and maybe 10-15 seconds to winning. One BB on our side was still alive and two carriers.

The Cleveland just chews up aircraft. That is one fun ship.

What are you guys doing for upgrades? The ROF one was a no-brainer as was the AA boost on this ship, but the other two slots seem like a crap shoot.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The only upgrades I bother with are the ones that prevent my magazine from exploding 1/5th of the time. The other ones, I don't really care about because I'm a filthy casual. If you're in a ship with guns and you're going to get pounded, you might as well make yourself more durable.

Carriers need some work, balance wise. In my first carrier, I felt horribly outclassed when going against higher ships. Mostly because the carriers had much better fighters, and the ships had much better AAA. I bleed planes like crazy in those games.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The only upgrades I bother with are the ones that prevent my magazine from exploding 1/5th of the time. The other ones, I don't really care about because I'm a filthy casual. If you're in a ship with guns and you're going to get pounded, you might as well make yourself more durable.

Carriers need some work, balance wise. In my first carrier, I felt horribly outclassed when going against higher ships. Mostly because the carriers had much better fighters, and the ships had much better AAA. I bleed planes like crazy in those games.

Get a Kongo and the credit cost for the upgrades won't matter any more. :20bux::20bux:

Also the Langley is really bad, in most better carriers you can bait higher tier planes onto friendly AA.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Unlike other ships, better fighters on a better carrier will just annihilate langley fighters. The real problem with the langley is its really bad slowness which means it can't dodge torps.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Really hoping they add some battleship concept with the 9''/98 as the armament.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Where are these things like ROF upgrades? The only options I see on my ships are for things like reduced chance of crit to component/reduced repair time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

Where are these things like ROF upgrades? The only options I see on my ships are for things like reduced chance of crit to component/reduced repair time.

You unlock additional slots for fancier modernizations on higher-tier ships. Although that first ROF/turret traverse mod actually reduces your rate of fire (the +ROF/-traverse one comes later).

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
My initial thoughts on this up to tier IV:

Ramming someone "T-bone" style should do less damage to the guy hitting the T than the recipient.

Ramming an island, even at 10kt because whoops my BB is going to hit an island, should do way more damage.

Secondary weapons should get at least a 50% accuracy buff.

Torpedo planes should have to drop from slightly (~200m) further away.

Otherwise, awesome game.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Domination should take more cap points, games end too quick when the team decides to cap out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wish this game had replays, because I just had by far my best battle yet, in my Omaha. Four kills, ~150k credits and about 2,8k XP.

The first several minutes were kinda uneventful, the usual long range shootout amidst islands. I wrecked a DD but that's about it.

But then the enemy started capping, and I raced to defend. Arrived to find a DD hiding in a smokescreen and a St. Louis just arriving to speed up the cap even more. Started duking it out with the St. Louis, got some solid hits on him. The DD made the mistake of thinking I was distracted and emerged from the smoke, only to eat two of my torpedoes about three seconds before he would've finished the cap.

At this point the St. Louis disappeared into the smoke and a Myogi barged in from behind some island. I started hammering him with shells while maneuvering to torp him, but then the St. Louis came back to disrupt that. He promptly ate a full three-torp spread flush in his side, and realising I was nearly dead and couldn't turn quickly enough to torp the Myogi before his secondaries would kill me, I rammed him in the side which killed us both. Then my team mopped up the rest and we won.

gently caress, this game rules. :black101: (we need a variant of that smiley with a captain's hat or something)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

randombattles.jpeg:

some fool in a Chester tried to ram my battleship.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 15, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I want my US battleships already. US cruisers are very fun rides and Japanese battleships are all good and well but I want the real deal.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ToiletDuckie posted:

Torpedo planes should have to drop from slightly (~200m) further away.

They default to further away. If someone is manually dropping them closer, they're playing intelligently and sound be rewarded. Working as intended.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Torp bombers also can get freaking shredded if they get too close against real (fuso or bigger for japanese and american when they get added) battleships. And if there's a cruiser hanging out by the BB, the planes are in real trouble.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
These kancolle creeps are going to end up being the new wehraboos.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
wehraboos are on the whole more annoying I think, but the poi is terrible right now.

Show ends soon, so hopefully it'll pass.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Holy gently caress the Omaha is amazing.

If this is only the tier 5 I can only imagine that the next tiers are orgasmic.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

xthetenth posted:

I want my US battleships already. US cruisers are very fun rides and Japanese battleships are all good and well but I want the real deal.

I think the US BBs will be murder machines. Most of them have 3-4 triple turrets which allows for a far tighter spread than the Japanese double turrets. Judging from the Cleveland it seems to be that way here, same as it was in Navy Field.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Adventure Pigeon posted:

These kancolle creeps are going to end up being the new wehraboos.

I always tell them that the IJN punished possession of anime by hanging - I tell them they called it "disgraceful semen paper".

It stops most of them from talking. The rest lose their poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The US has enough battleship classes to make two full lines of constructed warships, I count 17 classes reaching as far back as the St. Louis cruiser was built. Add to that the Alaskas, the unbuilt Montana and the 1920 South Dakota and you've got enough for two full trees plus a couple premiums, just missing something to go with the Montana at tier X

Same as British destroyers really

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
There're plenty of paper designs that were made before the Washington Naval Treaty that could fill in 9/10. Maybe use one of the Tillman designs for a tier 10.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
They need to implement it so that the closer you release your torps from the bombers, the higher the chance that they get completely wiped out.

When IJN bombers came up against US Navy BBs, it was basically a death sentence within 100m.

They should just make everyone go manual on the bombers and decide when they should release.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
How are crits calculated? Location struck? Ammo type fired? I get them every now and then but it seems to be a crapshoot.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Going up against the upgraded Saipan in my Independence made me realize quickly just how badly one tier higher fighters trump their lower tier counterparts. If the dude got more fighters on top of that he can just kinda shut you down for the game.

Or in my current unupgraded Saipan game vs Two Upgraded Saipans :suicide:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 15, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So many Battleship players just seem to want to recreate the Yamato battle tonight :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm a little surprised that the American carrier tree ends at the Essex rather than the Midway, with a gap in the IX spot. In the old blog spot the Essex had the IX spot and the Midway the X spot, is this change temporary until the Midway is modelled and done? That preliminary tech tree had the V: Bogue and no sign of the Saipan though...

e: Speaking of the Saipan, the 1946 upgrade that removes a bunch of AA guns to add 5 artillery guns - are those "secondary" (automated) and/or dual-purpose AA guns? Seems kinda weird to remove AA that late to add some dinky artillery on a carrier :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pimpmust posted:

I'm a little surprised that the American carrier tree ends at the Essex rather than the Midway, with a gap in the IX spot. In the old blog spot the Essex had the IX spot and the Midway the X spot, is this change temporary until the Midway is modelled and done? That preliminary tech tree had the V: Bogue and no sign of the Saipan though...

The blatantly obvious missing ship and tier 9 candidate is the Yorktown class, but whether that's what actually happens or not is anyone's guess. Pretty sure those guns are secondaries, I recall forgetting about them and nearly losing a badly damaged cruiser in embarrassing circumstances in the beta weekend :v:

Now that I've reached tier 4 I've found the problem with cruisers - there are battleships everywhere, and you just can't touch them. I remember on the last beta weekend I took my St. Louis out and soloed a really shittily driven Kawachi and Myogo at the same time, albeit badly damaged by the end; holy poo poo does that not work anymore, shells from both of those ships just tear the St Louis apart and you do gently caress all in return.

Also in spectator mode I watched a destroyer, tier 3 or 4 I wasn't able to recognise, get the drop on a distracted Kongo coming out of smoke and around an island - it was critted to death from full hp in 3 volleys from the Kongo secondary battery, and only just launched a torpedo spread before exploding. Three of six torpedoes connected for about 1/4 of its hp plus flooding iirc.

Edit: I think what I'm saying is there's a serious imbalance towards battleships that needs addressing somehow, at least in the tier 3-6 region.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've consistently seen Destroyer aces top even my "good game" Carrier runs in tier 4-6, getting 1700-2200 xp, poo poo be crazy. Granted, those are the higher tier japanese destroyers that can just murder anything with their torpedo spreads...

Cruisers have a harder time versus battleships, what with being bigger targets with less torpedoes to launch (generally). You can get good hits on Battleships (see Citadel) but they are really big bags of HPs to take out with guns alone.

The natural predator of the Battleship is the carrier though, even if the Destroyer can shank them real good too given half a chance.