Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: And that's not putting down Superhero movies, but I'm imagining, not being an actor, that they're usually not all that interesting to work on in that craft.
It's not to say the actual movies as a whole are necessarily worst than anything else they could be doing.
For example, action sequences are a huge component in what will make these successful and enjoyable and you'll have all sorts of people engaged in the making of them, doing the best work they can, but the actor will hardly have a part in it.

ee: I shouldn't have said 'serious actor', I just meant someone who's not just doing action movies and light fare, if they can help it.
eee: Shouldn't have said 'bothered' either. I don't know his circumstances.

Ahh, yeah, I understand you. Sure, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Snyder's been following me for 3-4 yrs, and I don't even have a podcast. I'm that fuckin' awesome.

And he's just that nice. Also following me is Tom King, who is a hell of a cool guy considering how much time I've put into ranting about how I hate the Grayson book.

I really like people like Snyder, and Gillen, and Kelly Sue, who get really engaged with their fans and readers on twitter. People can be obnoxious and abrasive or downright pestersome, demanding attention, but they do a great job of being friendly, informative, and smart about what they say. It helps cement them to the hearts of their fanbases.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Did no one make a new comic video game thread?

Outside of the new Batman, are there any coming out?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Was Taters posted:

Snyder's been following me for 3-4 yrs, and I don't even have a podcast. I'm that fuckin' awesome.

And he's just that nice. Also following me is Tom King, who is a hell of a cool guy considering how much time I've put into ranting about how I hate the Grayson book.

I really like people like Snyder, and Gillen, and Kelly Sue, who get really engaged with their fans and readers on twitter. People can be obnoxious and abrasive or downright pestersome, demanding attention, but they do a great job of being friendly, informative, and smart about what they say. It helps cement them to the hearts of their fanbases.
I love that in every video interview of Snyder I've seen, he seems perpetually convinced that's he's going to be fired any minute.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Did no one make a new comic video game thread?

What's coming out other than Batman: Arkham Night?

I mean, I considered making a thread, but all I'm aware of is Batman, and there's already a thread for that game by itself.

I guess if we are being liberal with the term "comic book" to include manga, Dragon Ball XV just came out (and if you're a fan, it's a lot of fun. It's not deep, but fairly wide)

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Only recent exciting comic book game thing is how the lead dev of Bayonetta 2 said he wants to make a Spider-Gwen game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Only recent exciting comic book game thing is how the lead dev of Bayonetta 2 said he wants to make a Spider-Gwen game.

Looks like the guy who wants #comicgate to be a thing might get his wish.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anywho, I don't like the motion comic thing at all, it makes this look like crud, but I love Mike Allred being front and center on a TV show :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nSXg7qqtSQ

I know the comic came out like five years ago, but this is reminding me a lot of ... that British zombie drama, I forget the name. But I wonder if this show got greenlit cuz the British one was relatively popular, or what? I hope people don't think it's a ripoff or anything. :ohdear:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I know the comic came out like five years ago, but this is reminding me a lot of ... that British zombie drama, I forget the name. But I wonder if this show got greenlit cuz the British one was relatively popular, or what? I hope people don't think it's a ripoff or anything. :ohdear:

You talking about In The Flesh? It wasn't really too popular and it got cancelled with budget cuts too.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

You talking about In The Flesh? It wasn't really too popular and it got cancelled with budget cuts too.

That's apparently the one! I had a decent amount of folks I follow on Twitter talking about it, but I should probably not use those folks as a barometer of anything, really. I did hear about it getting canceled though.

I dunno, zombies that still have minds and all after reanimation, white eyes. There's little things that brought it to mind but I didn't actually watch it and never read iZombie so I have no idea how similar/dissimilar the concepts are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Soonmot posted:

Outside of the new Batman, are there any coming out?

I just wanted somewhere to bitch about the writing in Akrham Origins.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, just hammer it out here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman acts like Jack Bauer on steroids and is an unlikeable violent prick. At one point he threatens to hack into a mobster's pacemaker to torture him and repeatedly threatens to kill people. I get that the point the game was making was that Batman needs to chill and learn to accept help but that happens at the 97% mark and is still coated in a "Batman is right about everything and everyone should obey him" narrative.

Joker's importance is incredibly overblown. Like, you know how it was with Anakin Skywalker in the prequels? That's what this game does with Joker. The game manages to make Bane breaking into Wayne Manor and challenging Batman be about the loving Joker. He outsmarts everyone, repeatedly outfights trained killers, has the allegiance of hundreds for no discernable reason, and the game generally reads like a fanfic. It's really, really bad, and the way it tries to be an origin of the Arkham version of the Batman mythos is terrible.

The entire reason the first game felt so cool was that everything in it was already established, and it used the pre-existing relationships of Batman, Joker and the others to tell a story. It mixed the animated series and comic book mythos and retconned some tiny things, but generally speaking, it was a game about a Batman you recognize. The sequel had some serious, serious writing missteps, but at least that aspect mostly remained intact. This is a complete poo poo show that tries to sell you the idea that 50% of all of the significant events of Batman's career happened in 24 hours, and tries to give much crappier origin stories to several characters.

I really hope the writers of the new game just pretend this one didn't happen. I know Dini won't be involved with the writing, just like for this one, so it's possible it'll just be more terribleness. Even if I wasn't completely sick of Joker-centric stories after City, tihs would have been incredibly obnoxious.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They are calling Batman Arkham Knight the final game in the Rocksteady Triology, so yes they probably are ignoring Origins.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm still mad they didn't do the silver age game someone might've just been making up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask. Could someone dig up that image that parodies Superboy Prime's reality punch page with Goku/DBZ characters?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

What's coming out other than Batman: Arkham Night?

I mean, I considered making a thread, but all I'm aware of is Batman, and there's already a thread for that game by itself.

I guess if we are being liberal with the term "comic book" to include manga, Dragon Ball XV just came out (and if you're a fan, it's a lot of fun. It's not deep, but fairly wide)

There's a new Lego Marvel game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They are calling Batman Arkham Knight the final game in the Rocksteady Triology, so yes they probably are ignoring Origins.
Well Rocksteady didn't make Origins to begin with, but yeah, they're assuredly free to ignore anything from Origins they don't like and probably things from their own previous games as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

There's a new Lego Marvel game.

Say what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Heil Honey I'm Home of comic books

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Say what?

Lego Marvel's Avengers. It's further away than I thought though. I figured it was going to be close to the movie but it's only Q3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Lego Marvel's Avengers. It's further away than I thought though. I figured it was going to be close to the movie but it's only Q3.

drat it. You got me all excited. I guess Lego Jurassic Whatever will have to get me through the summer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rhyno posted:

drat it. You got me all excited. I guess Lego Jurassic Whatever will have to get me through the summer.

My biggest hope for that game is they keep the magic sat phone that could be heard through a dinosaur and worked after going through the digestive system

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Any recommendations for a good site for tracking comics that I've read or want to read? Sometimes I'll read a few issues of something and then I'll end up forgetting about it, and never remember to check out new issues.

I've found some sites that could hold a collection, and I'm interested in this, but I'd also want to know if/when a new issue shows up. Be nice to also queue comics that I want to read eventually.

edit
:siren: nobody responded. if you have any suggestions, that would be great. appreciate a PM since I stopped paying attention to the thread as of this edit. :siren:

Juanito fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 17, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lmao, looks like someone made an embarassingly-proportioned vinyl figurine based on Liefeld's famous broken spine women.

Oh wait, that's uh... that's actually a person in a costume. :stare:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao, looks like someone made an embarassingly-proportioned vinyl figurine based on Liefeld's famous broken spine women.

You shouldn't have said anything and seen how long it took people to figure it out.

Because I wouldn't have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone going to MegaCon in Orlando next month? Stan Lee is going to be there, pretty hyped.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just a little check in to make you hopeful about the future of comics and who is reading comics. At my school, we give student paychecks of fake money that they can cash in for prizes every now and then. Anyway, they can also save their money for a huge auction of experiential prizes with teachers (A one-on-one basketball game instead of going to class, getting lunch, etc). I put up a trip to Forbidden Planet, a larger comics and toy shop in NYC, with lunch and any appropriate book of their choice. The kids went bananas over it, and I'm not even a particularly well-liked teacher at my current school. It went up to 800 fake-dollars, but the thing that made me really happy is the two highest bidders were both girls.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's awesome. We had something like that in Elementary school, I won my Nintendo 64 through it by automatically bidding the max amount a student could accumulate in a year :v:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was surprised at the Indianapolis comic con that there were a lot of young people ,both male and female, in attendance. Yeah the larger fandoms of Star Wars and Dr Who probably helped attendenc but I saw a lot of really young kids buying and browsing comics. I saw some guy dressed as Hawkeye who couldn't have been older than 16 or 17. Saw a 10 year old buying Deadpool, and a young girl buying issues of Fraction's Iron Man series.

Mark Waid signed some of my Daredevil stuff. And despite my complaining about the high prices of comic shops, the prices they had at the con were really good.

I still am only buying trades and hardcovers but I got a pretty decent haul.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone going to MegaCon in Orlando next month? Stan Lee is going to be there, pretty hyped.

Have you been before? MegaCon is crowded as poo poo, to the point where I find it generally stressful and not as much fun as it should be. Lots of anime kids and cosplayers blocking narrow walkways posing for pictures with each other and not respecting personal space. The dealers mostly have the same stuff, but I don't know what you're in the market for. I like discounted TPBs and cheap, loose action figures, and the pickings are usually slim.

I went every year from 2001 to 2006 and then got burned out on them, but I went last year to meet Darwyn Cooke, Dan Jurgens, and Mark Waid (who was a no-show). I'm sitting this one out, unless they add any of my all-time favorite creators as guests in these final few weeks, which I doubt.

If you go, have fun, but wear comfortable shoes and deodorant, bring hand sanitizer, and prepare to be jostled, pushed, and blocked from where you want to be.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

No wonder she's the Deadpool Watcher's favorite.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was surprised at the Indianapolis comic con that there were a lot of young people ,both male and female, in attendance. Yeah the larger fandoms of Star Wars and Dr Who probably helped attendenc but I saw a lot of really young kids buying and browsing comics. I saw some guy dressed as Hawkeye who couldn't have been older than 16 or 17. Saw a 10 year old buying Deadpool, and a young girl buying issues of Fraction's Iron Man series.

Mark Waid signed some of my Daredevil stuff. And despite my complaining about the high prices of comic shops, the prices they had at the con were really good.

I still am only buying trades and hardcovers but I got a pretty decent haul.

Cons have stopped being just a cellar dweller event at this point. You're as likely to find a group of pre-teens wandering around as a 60 year old bald guy searching through long boxes.

As for prices, it's a fantastic opportunity to find deals. Treat every purchase like a bazaar because that's what it is. If you pay sticker price, you're not doing it right.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, I'm not the only one who was playing through this lately (although you're a little ahead of me, work's murder lately). Yeah, I just passed the "Bane escapes" event and I'm realizing that I basically sympathize most with Alfred in this game, and there are times where, even though I know I'm not supposed to, I'm kinda nodding because the villains are more sympathetic/reasoned than Bruce. Hell, at multiple points the villains all basically go "Tonight we've done more to clean up this city than you have in years" and they aren't wrong. Bruce just kicks the ever-living poo poo out of a bunch of mooks and snarls at his butler.

Buuuuuut.

The saddest part is that it's twenty times better than the crappy Metroid clone they put on 3DS/Steam (Origins: Blackgate), which someone bought me last night, and I fiddled with. I am not even kidding when I say the game begins with you beating the hell out of Catwoman on a construction site, and then "Domestic Disturbance" popped as an achievement while I'm in a cutscene with her bleeding all over herself. The gameplay's pretty bad too, but we were just talking writing here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In Origins' defence, the sequence where the Joker develops his obsession with Batman and Harley develops hers with Mistah' Jay is almost elegantly simple. It's a bit of a crib from the Scarecrow/Mad Hatter parts of the prior games, but it gets from point A to B in a manner that feels uniquely video game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

The saddest part is that it's twenty times better than the crappy Metroid clone they put on 3DS/Steam (Origins: Blackgate), which someone bought me last night, and I fiddled with. I am not even kidding when I say the game begins with you beating the hell out of Catwoman on a construction site, and then "Domestic Disturbance" popped as an achievement while I'm in a cutscene with her bleeding all over herself. The gameplay's pretty bad too, but we were just talking writing here.

loving Christ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

In Origins' defence, the sequence where the Joker develops his obsession with Batman and Harley develops hers with Mistah' Jay is almost elegantly simple. It's a bit of a crib from the Scarecrow/Mad Hatter parts of the prior games, but it gets from point A to B in a manner that feels uniquely video game.

What a coincidence that he just happens to meet Harley on his very first night out, which is also the same night the Mad Hatter, Anarky, Riddler (excuse me, ENIGMA), Bane and Deathstroke meet Batman for the first time. And he still had time to organize a massive takeover of blackgate after having this character-defining revelation!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Buuuuuut.

:stare: I was going to stay away from that due to the gameplay, but I'm going to double stay away from it now, jesus.

I should point out though, the combat in Origins is probably the best it's ever been, and they finally loving created more than one character model for the random mooks you beat up. The much-vaunted improved boss battles aren't really that great, but they're still a huge step up from "A really dumb version of Bane 25 times, then Mr. Freeze, and nothing else" from previous games. I hope Rocksteady is at least looking at this stuff for Arkham Knight.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really hope the writers of the new game just pretend this one didn't happen. I know Dini won't be involved with the writing, just like for this one, so it's possible it'll just be more terribleness. Even if I wasn't completely sick of Joker-centric stories after City, this would have been incredibly obnoxious.
Since Knight takes place time-wise so far away from Origins, I don't think tying back to it will be a thing. Rocksteady obviously has their own story they're trying to tell, and while I doubt anything will directly contradict anything that we saw happen in Origins, I don't expect to see any real references to it, either. They're going to want to plow full-steam ahead with Scarecrow and AK's stuff. (I know Firefly shows up in AK from the trailer, but that's fine, as he was probably the best part of A:O.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The idea of a Batman-themed Metroidvania is really solid and there are moments in Blackgate where it actually works, they're just so few and far between that it ends up being tedious and disappointing.

E: The leadup to Firefly was great, the actual bossfight was way too gimmicky and reliant on QTEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lurdiak posted:

I should point out though, the combat in Origins is probably the best it's ever been, and they finally loving created more than one character model for the random mooks you beat up. The much-vaunted improved boss battles aren't really that great, but they're still a huge step up from "A really dumb version of Bane 25 times, then Mr. Freeze, and nothing else" from previous games. I hope Rocksteady is at least looking at this stuff for Arkham Knight.

Ummm....the general consensus for Origin's combat was that it was buggy and broken.

• Locked thread