Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

Do they rotate which stores get regionals? The two stores in this area that had them last year dont have them anymore.

I suspect in some cases that's due to how it was run, or turnout. My local store is the FFG Game Center, so we get a regional for every FFG game right here, guaranteed. Plus worlds :) Sadly I have to drive 9hrs to Nationals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Nova squad is wondering why there isn't a tournament in the DMV area and we're beginning to suspect it's cuz FFG knows we'll go to the surrounding ones anyway. WV and PA confirmed and I'm seeing who wants to go to Raleigh too.

Hook me up on where people play regularly in the DMV area.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

I'll be there to get poo poo on again. Breakfast at IHOP?

We'll see. Not sure what kind of food is near Game Theory, it's in a lovely area.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moriatti posted:

Hook me up on where people play regularly in the DMV area.

Join nova squad on Facebook. Ron puts up most if not all monthly events. As for weekly there's curio or victory comics (finally, but I see they didn't consult anyone or are deliberate trying to compete with curio) on Tuesdays, game parlor on Wednesday, and I think comics and gaming Fairfax Thursday but I'm not sure since they just signed the lease on their new space. Don't know about places north of the Potomac but I know games and stuff has a regular night.

You could always ask if anyone's up to game at X on Y as some people do.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

We'll see. Not sure what kind of food is near Game Theory, it's in a lovely area.

How much space do they have at that place anyway? Last time I was there I remember it being kind of small I thought.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

How much space do they have at that place anyway? Last time I was there I remember it being kind of small I thought.

It's pretty small. :/

edit: which really sucks because Atomic could hold like....256 X-Wing gamers.

alg fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 13, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope we don't have to preregister or get turned away since at least dozen nova people might come.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope we don't have to preregister or get turned away since at least dozen nova people might come.

Yeah there are at least 40 local X-Wing gamers here, and a crew from Asheville is coming, plus plenty of other people I'm sure. Hopefully they handle it well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

One thing I look back on and hate were the 200+ events I did as qualifiers for magic pro tours. I think 100 might still be fine but there seems to be a threshold over which people start to become assholes. Probably a herd mentality thing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm guessing it will be limited to 64 at the most. That gets everyone a Boba Fett card. I want the shield tokens so I have to play well and not drop. :smith:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I think it's the "I didn't drive 4 hours to lose" thing. Well, you're not the only person who drove four hours, and at most one of you guys is going to not lose, so maybe your goal should be "I didn't drive four hours to be an rear end in a top hat who has and/or causes others to have a bad time."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That too. Sunk costs are sunk costs. But I suppose the absurdly high entry costs of magic events compared to x-wing events (when the prizes are better for x wing lol) makes people easily irate too. And that dumb chasing the ~professional wizard~ dream. I'm just glad magic keeps that type of person there.

I drive down to these things with friends. I tour the city and have fun on top of the game. I expressed this in the magic thread and a lot of people seem to be willing to travel with "activity partners" who aren't really friends outside of the game. So that feeds into that goal orientation too. I still can't wrap my head around driving for 4 hours in utter silence or talking only about the game lol. The best part is seeing Paul and the others with kids talk about making these events family trips. :3:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

if y'all end up coming to Raleigh I can give y'all some cool eating destinations but I'd imagine the tournament will take up the entire day

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

I'm guessing it will be limited to 64 at the most. That gets everyone a Boba Fett card. I want the shield tokens so I have to play well and not drop. :smith:

I've never played this game outside of with friends but I really want that card.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm moving to Richmond VA in two weeks so 1.) I may try and make the drive down to Raleigh for regionals, 2.) I'm going to be in DC/Fairfax on a pretty regular basis for work so I'll definitely make it to some Nova Squadron stuff, 3.) anybody have a sense of what Richmond's stores are like? I've taken a look on the FFG forums and it seems like there isn't much of an X-Wing scene, but stores have run stuff in the past.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Mr. Nice guys in Monroeville, PA (about 10 min from downtown Pittsburgh) got Regionals again, which is awesome since it is one of my league's 3 main game stores. It can hold like 200 players.

So what I am saying is Pittsburgh in July is a wonderful vacation spot and you all should come to it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have a core set, yt 2400, rebel aces, 2 z95s an a wing and a syck. Thinkingna bwimg or Ewing next

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

E Wing has Etahn A'Baht, who has one of my favourite pilot abilities in the game.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Moriatti posted:

E Wing has Etahn A'Baht, who has one of my favourite pilot abilities in the game.

It also has Corran Horn who is a stupidly good end game ship.

There are also a couple of generic pilots you will never, ever use.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hope you all enjoy dual aggressors thats all youre gonna see anymore since autothrusters on a 3 agil 8HP ship is some ridiculous retarded poo poo

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

Hope you all enjoy dual aggressors thats all youre gonna see anymore since autothrusters on a 3 agil 8HP ship is some ridiculous retarded poo poo

First it was the TIE Swarm. Then it was Soontir and Falcons. Then it was Whisper. Then the Decimator. There's no single ship that can do anything and everything, and the there's always a list that will beat any given list, all else being equal. Agressors are really good, true, but they're not going to break the game in half.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Theyre basically this waves phantom. Great ships with one key mod that makes them full on idiot proof. I mean I get that Ints needed a decent turret safeguard but AT on this ship is basically c3P0 that procs every attack. Autothrust should have been a small ship only mod

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If you wanted to take your X Wing miniatures with you when you moved to the other side of the world what would be the best way to transport them safely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

IG88s will always have less than 9 or 10 PS. With the prevalence of 2 ship lists any arc dodger will pick them apart. Asteroid fields are also incredibly painful for aggressors.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, Ten Numb. Better with Mangler Cannon (unless you roll all blanks or eyeballs w/ no focus) you get a guaranteed undodgable crit at range 1-3 with no backup needed, or autoblaster with Etahn flying in formation so all hits count at range 1 only.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

Theyre basically this waves phantom. Great ships with one key mod that makes them full on idiot proof. I mean I get that Ints needed a decent turret safeguard but AT on this ship is basically c3P0 that procs every attack. Autothrust should have been a small ship only mod

I think you may be overestimating its impact. It's going to be on a pilot skill 6 ship that can only hit what is sitting in front of it. Swarms may have some trouble getting through all the agility but I haven't seen that match up play out yet. I played a game a few days ago with a shuttle, Soontir and Turr Phennir though. I peeled off Turr Phennir to chase the aggressor and the thing just couldn't shake him and I could safely stay at point blank range turn after turn.. Pilot skill 6 is rough.

They do seem really awesome, but they don't come close to the simplicity of the c3PO and Falcon builds.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

If you wanted to take your X Wing miniatures with you when you moved to the other side of the world what would be the best way to transport them safely.

http://www.portablewarfare.com/products/ or similar, depending on price point. Pack those bitches in foam, no broken pieces.

Loose ships break... ships? :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I

zVxTeflon posted:

I was afraid of them and they should be feared but I took the list down twice today with Fat Han. Had to play the same guy twice, during normal play and later during finals for store champ. Really good list and those auto thrusters are killer but they're still vulnerable to good squad play. place asteroids in the middle third of the board to limit the S loops. Block them with small dudes. It takes some getting used to but they can still be taken down with tactics similar to taking down space cows.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, They announced regionals. Despite we have easily 40 players and 4 stores running store tournaments in this city, the nearest one if 350 km away, and the second nears is 450km. Both are on mother's day weekend too. Pro planning.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

3d printed boxes for each ship, clearly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cheap aluminium flight case with pluck foam, the kind you'd use to carry a camera:

This fits my entire collection with tons of room to spare (six Interceptors, four TIEs, a Phantom, an Advanced, a Lamba, a Firespray, a Falcon, one E, two Bs, two As, two Xs, two Ys, three Zs, a StarViper, a Scyk, and an Aggressor). It cost me £30, and would cost me maybe another £10 if I wanted to get shallower trays (it came with one tray that's the same depth as the case) as opposed to £60-£90 for a Battlefoam or whatever bag.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Lots of places do X Wing specific foam stuff. In Europe I would pimp KR Multicase or Feldherr.

A cheaper option is Realy Useful Box's, the 5 litre can take ships in there little plastic holders with space for a bit of foam top and bottom. Check the sizes.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I'm going to test out a list this week for shits & giggles now that Most Wanted is finally available in Australia

Torkil Mux (19)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Feedback Array (2)

Total: 98

Basically get that swarm within range 1 of Soontir, Whisper etc and they just go boom with no recourse. How stupid am I for wanting to fly this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's a decent list, though I would suggest trying to fit a Scyk in there with mangler cannon for some decent firepower. Someone did decently with a similar list in recent tournaments here but the problem is having to keep a tight formation around Torkil. It's harder when you're not using tie fighters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How is fat Han still fat when he's dodging blows like Cassius clay?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

How is fat Han still fat when he's dodging blows like Cassius clay?

(For those who don't play Street Fighter, the joke is that Rufus is one of the fastest/most agile characters.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm trying to think of stuff that uses the other two HWK pilots. Torkil is decent and there's the obvious Palob + Bodyguard combo, but Dace is a bit of weird beast. I kept thinking that one damage a turn (which is not guaranteed) is pretty week, but then again you do have Jan which is more or less the same thing. I was thinking of something along these lines:

PILOTS

Kavil (31)
Y-Wing (24), Ion Cannon Turret (5), R4 Agromech (2)

Dace Bonearm (31)
HWK-290 (23), Ion Cannon Turret (5), K4 Security Droid (3)

Cartel Spacer (19)
M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (14), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Ion Cannon(3)

Cartel Spacer (19)
M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (14), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Ion Cannon (3)

I'd rather take Syndicate Thugs with Ion Cannon Turrets rather than Scyks, but there's not enough points unless I want just one HWK going along with only two Y-Wings. Kavil almost guarantees hits with the Agromech which is nice, and the K4 Security Droid is nice because you are pretty much guaranteed to almost always do green maneuvers with Dace. I wish there was a way to remove stress from Dace but Wingman only does it at the start of the combat phase :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(For those who don't play Street Fighter, the joke is that Rufus is one of the fastest/most agile characters.)

Lol he's the second best (Turkish oil wrestler :3: ) but plz photoshop Han's face Tia.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Went to an 18 person tournament yesterday and 10 out of 18 were running scum, with 7 of those being double IG-88s. Should've expected that, I suppose. A doom shuttle does very little against that, though I crushed the one Decimator Phantom I got to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wotsnik
Sep 28, 2005
Just because you can see it, doesn't mean it's not invisible.
Played in a store champs tourney over the weekend and totally stole Strobe's idea of 4 x Greens w/Outmaneuver +PTL+Autothrusters.
Went 3-2, but had a blast mostly. That list is the kind of thing I got into this game for.

I should have won another game, the opponent took so long to get set up that the TO came around and said in my ear that if I was losing at the time call, he would extend our game by 5 mins. Even with this, I was doing ok, but then one bad turn and I lost two ships at once, so was losing by about 13 points. So I had to start playing safer and just poking him down. Still came down to the last roll to pop a phantom and win, but didn't get it. Two more turns I would have easily had it, maybe even one.

Just not sure how to handle someone that is so slow. He wasn't completely new, but just going on his mannerisms, wasn't stalling either. He was just genuinely a very slow player, particularly on getting his dials done and taking 20-30 seconds every time to even pick them up to start after a turn ended and I clearly would state "we're on the dials again".

At least the later part of the day was considerably less annoying. Coming up against two lists with fat Han w/3PO. It brought me great joy outmaneuvering the big lug, to trigger the aptly named Outmaneuver. and getting to roll a shitload of dice vs zero defense that cause 3PO not to work :D. Also both opponents in those games were awesome and I would definitely want to play against them again.

• Locked thread