Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

There can be only one.

with a 12ft cable who needs wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
So old school it even has artifacting in the image

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

republic posted:

I've been reading the last few pages of the thread, and it seems like the G602 is a favorite for those shopping for a wireless mouse. I've been doing some shopping around for a wireless mouse that would be feasible to throw in a bag and take traveling with a laptop for web browsing, work, and some light gaming use. To that end I've also considered both the Logitech M705 and their Anywhere Mouse MX, as they seem more portable-oriented. My main concern with the former is I've read it's DPI is locked to 1000 (I've been spoiled by more sensitive mice at home) and the mouse apparently experiences negative acceleration, while the latter sounds like it's an ideal portable mouse except it sounds to be plagued with reliability issues and button failures, with some reviewers reporting that it chugs batteries like they're going out of style.

Is there a recommended wireless mouse out there that doesn't deal with these shortcomings? Or is the solution a G602 and finding a pouch to throw it in to keep it safe on the go? Thanks!

The G602 holds up to abuse pretty well I found. I didn't even throw it in a pouch, just kinda shoved it in my backpack in a side pocket. It got dirty but that was about it, and if I remember correctly that's what Goo did when he was using it as his primary mouse. I'm not sure how well it would hold up for longterm use, but it does have the advantage of a multiple month battery life.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I learned something new today, I've never used a right handed ergonomic mouse for extended periods and it feels weird. I've always used ambidextrous mice, a microsoft special, an ncix special, steelseries sensei. Now that I have a Zowie EC2-a it just feels weird.....

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I guess I am a weirdo. I am left-handed. Write left-handed, hold my fork left-handed, and do the majority of things left-handed. I have been using a mouse with my right hand all my life though. Sometimes I wonder if I would be more accurate switching to my left hand for mousing, but when I do it just feels awkward.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Filthy Monkey posted:

I guess I am a weirdo. I am left-handed. Write left-handed, hold my fork left-handed, and do the majority of things left-handed. I have been using a mouse with my right hand all my life though. Sometimes I wonder if I would be more accurate switching to my left hand for mousing, but when I do it just feels awkward.

You should really be happy about that, because left-handed mice tend to be rare/expensive so you're generally limited to ambidextrous designs. Plus you can sit down at a shared PC and use it without loving around with the placement of everything.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am exactly the same, left handed for everything except mousing. But as isdnl said, be a right handed mouser if you're comfortable with it. If you swap desks with someone for a day or use your mates computer, you dont have to gently caress around with setting up the desk. Plus if you play FPS games, it'll probably take months and maybe even years to train your left hand to the same level of muscle memory and coordination.

Plus it'll mean you flat out can't buy alot of fancy mice (which isnt necessarily a bad thing but hey we all need our 256 million colour changing LEDs right?)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Now I'm worried if I'm a weirdo after trying the right handed ergonomic mouse, am I the only one who puts 2 fingers on the left click and seems to move the whole mouse using my thumb and pinkie?

EDIT: Just looking at all these grips styles it looks like everyone just puts 1 finger per clicking surface.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 12, 2015

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Two fingers on left click is seriously weird but thumb+pinkie for moving is basically what distinguishes finger/"claw" grip from palm grip.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Hell no. Palm with Index on left click, Middle finger on right click, ring finger and pinky on the side, fairly straight. I use a G502 and my ring finger rests right on the "edge" on the back of the right side.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
RIP my Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse V 1.1

I got this amazon basics mouse to replace it, but its a bit smaller in my hand. Any recommendations for a larger sized and relatively cheap mouse?

EDIT: Instead of asking a subjective question like this I went out and bought the M510 and it feels great in my hand.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 13, 2015

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
I bought a gigabyte M6900 at microcenter a couple months ago because it was cheap and looked cool. I can't stand it. It doesn't track right even after multiple time cleaning it with compressed air.

Please tell me what to buy.

I would be cool spending like $50 if it was a decent mouse, maybe more if it's crazy good. It's for my home/gaming computer that I play a lot of FPS games online with. Extra features are great but all I really need is a button mouse that tracks well.

e: I'm looking at either a Razer Deathadder 2013 or Corsair Vengeance M65 after doing some googling. I'll wait to pull the trigger though.

moloo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 14, 2015

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
You guys probably already know this but if not then the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex goes on sale tomorrow on Amazon (at least in the US). $US69.99 with Prime.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Anyone have any luck with a hard surface mouse pad? I have a big cloth one that's starting to get ratty, and would like to replace it with something I could just wipe off the Oreo leavings and Cheeto dust, and preferably something flat black that doesn't look goddamn ridiculous.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Anyone have any luck with a hard surface mouse pad? I have a big cloth one that's starting to get ratty, and would like to replace it with something I could just wipe off the Oreo leavings and Cheeto dust, and preferably something flat black that doesn't look goddamn ridiculous.

I used to use the Everglide attack pad until they stopped making them, and now I use Ratpadz which are about the same construction. They're essentially a big cutting board style plastic with a smoothy bumpy texture. They last a very long time before wearing down and wearing down basically just means a smooth spot that's not that big of a deal. It's not a big company but they always seem to be in business and I've had good experience talking to their support when I ordered with a pre-paid amex and wanted to check that the charge went through.
https://www.ratpadz.com/index.php

If they get a little warped in shipping you can just bend them on the kitchen counter or on your knee to get them flat again. I got mine in 2008 and it's still in pretty good shape. It's smooth and tracks fine but it's a little bit flat where I normally mouse. I may get another one soon since they're only $25. The only downside is that there's only one size/shape.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I use a 12x12 glazed, unpatterned ceramic tile as a mousing surface. It's kind of beige-ish, I don't know if you could get one in flat black. It's semi-slick and works extremely well, the most consistent and functional mousepad I've ever had.

I periodically swab it down with denatured alcohol, which picks up any dust and destroys any body oils without leaving a residue. It shows no signs of wear and probably never will. In the winter, I put an electric heating pad under it to keep it from freezing my hand; it holds heat well and works like a charm. Only caveat is that it can cause the heel of your hand to become callused if you put a lot of pressure on it as you use your mouse; this is common to any hard surface.

I would not recommend painted metal mousepads. I had one by Razer a long time ago, and the paint eventually wore from nothing more than light rubbing by teflon mouse feet, causing inconsistencies in the way the mouse moved on the pad. On one hand, that's Razer quality for you, but on the other hand, any kind of paint is going to wear if you rub it lightly every day for years.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've been using a black aluminum mouse pad from Perixx (DX-3000L) that I've been very happy with. I got mine from Amazon but it looks like they currently only have the silver one in stock.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Anyone have any luck with a hard surface mouse pad? I have a big cloth one
You might want to try a hard pad somewhere before you buy one, unless you already have. A hard pad is going to feel really really really different from a cloth pad. Convenience aside it just may or may not be comfortable for you, as a matter of personal preference. I don't like how dust/crumbs stick to my cloth pads either but I'm so accustomed to the friction level and feeling of a cloth pad that I can't change, to me hard pads just feel completely wrong and uncomfortable. So I guess I'm saying ideally try before you buy cause I'm pretty sure mousepads are 99% personal preference.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
But, like all things in life, are easily adapted to.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I use a Corsair MM600 on each of my home computers, and I really like the precision side.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Krailor posted:

I've been using a black aluminum mouse pad from Perixx (DX-3000L) that I've been very happy with. I got mine from Amazon but it looks like they currently only have the silver one in stock.

I'll second that Perixx' pad is top notch, aside from the fact that the r looks like an n so your pad says Penixx

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check these out. I got a shiny new black glass desk, so it was really noticeable now how faded my old one was getting. It was the big OCZ cloth pad here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826997028&cm_re=ocz_mouse_pad-_-26-997-028-_-Product if anyone cares. Worked fine for a long while, the best part was it didn't move at all.

Cathair posted:

I use a 12x12 glazed, unpatterned ceramic tile as a mousing surface. It's kind of beige-ish, I don't know if you could get one in flat black. It's semi-slick and works extremely well, the most consistent and functional mousepad I've ever had.

I periodically swab it down with denatured alcohol, which picks up any dust and destroys any body oils without leaving a residue. It shows no signs of wear and probably never will. In the winter, I put an electric heating pad under it to keep it from freezing my hand; it holds heat well and works like a charm. Only caveat is that it can cause the heel of your hand to become callused if you put a lot of pressure on it as you use your mouse; this is common to any hard surface.
Heated mousing surfaces, a potential untapped market? I've seen crazier things for sale. Nobody steal this idea (that I'm stealing from you), I'm mailing this post to myself as we speak

Chickenwalker posted:

I'll second that Perixx' pad is top notch, aside from the fact that the r looks like an n so your pad says Penixx
sold

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check these out. I got a shiny new black glass desk, so it was really noticeable now how faded my old one was getting. It was the big OCZ cloth pad here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826997028&cm_re=ocz_mouse_pad-_-26-997-028-_-Product if anyone cares. Worked fine for a long while, the best part was it didn't move at all.
Heated mousing surfaces, a potential untapped market? I've seen crazier things for sale. Nobody steal this idea (that I'm stealing from you), I'm mailing this post to myself as we speak
sold

http://www.amazon.ca/Heating-Heater-Winter-Warmer-Computer/dp/B00RNPP17C/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_5

Never have to worry about cold hands again haha.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Well, if they can sell electric socks and USB coffee heaters, they could-
:lol:

Honestly, that's kind of disturbing. I think it's the 'shine' accent on the eyes that make it look like it's crying as you jam your hand down its gaping throat.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cathair posted:

Well, if they can sell electric socks and USB coffee heaters, they could-

:lol:

Honestly, that's kind of disturbing. I think it's the 'shine' accent on the eyes that make it look like it's crying as you jam your hand down its gaping throat.
Haha wow, I'm definitely unsettled.

I ended up getting this from Best Buy, I didn't know they had anything like that but I was looking at mice and ran across it: Insignia Gaming Mouse Pad. It's a double sided aluminum pad with a smooth finish on one side, and a more grippy, textured feel on the other. It looks a whole lot like the Razer branded one, and actually it seems to be almost the exact same thing, only not as garish.

Also picked up a Steelseries Rival to replace my 5-6 year old Razer Deathadder. I wasn't sure about the Rival, but they had one set up to try out, and the grip was almost perfect for me. It's longer than the Deathadder which just feels much better.

The Steelseries software is way less painful than the Razer Synapse stuff. They have a cloud sync thing, but it's currently in beta and completely optional. I really hope it stays that way. The software doesn't introduce any noticeable startup lag to my system, and you can exit out of the application completely and set it to not run at startup once you configure everything.

The middle mouse wheel button feels great, there's a nice tactile click to it and it's easy to use without accidentally scrolling. That's one thing I'm really anal about in mice; I use the middle mouse wheel button all the time, and my biggest complaint with most of the other mice I've tried, especially Logitech sadly, is they feel flimsy to me.

The one thing I liked about the Deathadder though is it had a really nice braided cord that didn't get tangled up or caught on anything. The Rival just comes with a more generic rubber coated one. Far from a deal breaker though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is actually a much better review than Anandtech's. He mentions that the side buttons do feel mushy after the actuation point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5VbVX40TIA
I've always liked anandtech, but that was a surprisingly lovely review from them. Two pages, not much detail, and filled with comments like these.
The guy who wrote the review doesn't seem to have done many. The "review" seems like something whipped up an hour before a deadline.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After playing some Diablo 3 with my Logitech Anywhere MX, a travel mouse that I love, it really drove home how nice it is to have a proper gaming mouse like the G502.

BlueBlazer posted:

There can be only one.

That was the first mouse I ever bought for the first computer I ever built. RIP.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 16, 2015

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Josh Lyman posted:

After playing some Diablo 3 with my Logitech Anywhere MX, a travel mouse that I love, it really drove home how nice it is to have a proper gaming mouse like the G502.

That was the first mouse I ever bought for the first computer I ever built. RIP.

I use the same travel mouse and also love it enough to own 3. I've been really considering the G502. This is promising.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The guy who wrote the review doesn't seem to have done many. The "review" seems like something whipped up an hour before a deadline.

He is also so shiny it's distracting. Shine on you bad reviewer. (I think he's like a camera man or something on the show, he doesn't normally do reviews).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

There can be only one.

I just found an even older model one of these in my basement, one of the regular ball mouse versions with Gateway 2000 written on it.

I feel like I should just throw it away because it's a drat ball mouse, but it's so old I just don't have the heart to.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Got a g502. A g303 is coming too, to see which I like more.

The 502 is quite comfortable. I like the textured feel of the left and ride sides of the mouse. Left and right click both feel good. Weight is a little on the heavy side, even without using any of the optional weights, but it isn't unbearable. Played some TF2, and the sensor seems excellent.

I would say the thing I dislike the most about it is the stiffness of the scroll wheel when it isn't in free-roll. It is just so heavy feeling.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I feel like they could cut 10g off the weight of the G502 by just changing to a normal mouse wheel.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I feel like they could cut 10g off the weight of the G502 by just changing to a normal mouse wheel.

I was curious. I took the whole wheel assembly out of my G700 (so the wheel, the plastic frame, and mechanism for switching mods, the whole thing comes out with removing a plastic peg, it seems similar on the G502 based on a google search) and weighed it on the kitchen scales: 15 grams. Whole mouse weighs like 155 so it's 10% of the weight, or I guess it's 125g without the battery. So, it's not exactly light although I don't know how much a 'regular' wheel would weigh to compare really, while I imagine most of the weight is in the hefty metal wheels, 10g might be a bit of a stretch.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Got a g502. A g303 is coming too, to see which I like more.

The 502 is quite comfortable. I like the textured feel of the left and ride sides of the mouse. Left and right click both feel good. Weight is a little on the heavy side, even without using any of the optional weights, but it isn't unbearable. Played some TF2, and the sensor seems excellent.

I would say the thing I dislike the most about it is the stiffness of the scroll wheel when it isn't in free-roll. It is just so heavy feeling.

If it helps any, mine has loosened up considerably with wear. At first I had that extremely sharp delineation where it would go 'ka-chunk' down into the next notch in a way that felt like it made the whole mouse vibrate slightly, but now it clicks more normally and takes less pressure to get it started.

I was worried at first, but it hasn't shown any signs of wearing further in months and it hasn't developed any issues with overshooting the target, it still stops very precisely.

Also, I love this wheel and even in its brand-new state thought it was the best I'd ever used, fair better than those dinky, wobbly imprecise things found on most other mice. I have no issues with the weight of the mouse either, it would be irritating to me if it was feather-light. Surprising as it may be to some people, your personal taste is not objective reality.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Got my G303 and am liking it so far. If anyone is looking to buy an FK1 or FK2 I will be getting rid of one of them (doesn't matter to me which)

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone have opinions on the asus strix claw? Besides the godawful sniper button that I am ready to open the mouse and physically disable, it seems like exactly what I am looking for. I fingertip grip and can fingertip or claw grip an mx518 so its size shouldn't be an issue. I also regularly use a g100s which is small.

Also, if you've never opened up an mx518 before the build quality is really nice. Somehow one of the connectors came loose on mine after a decade and well over 10,000 hours of abuse and it was flicking on and off while sitting idle on my desk. 10 minutes later it was working flawlessly again. I was pretty surprised at just how well built it is compared to modern mice. The cable entry is naive compared to something like the g402 and the pcb is clunky compared to modern ones, but it's otherwise great quality. It's actually like opening a prototype because of a few strange design decisions. These pictures aren't mine and don't really do it justice:

Everything is very secure and it fits together amazing. Prior to this I had only really opened the g100s, g402, and some zowie mice to recable them for friends. And drat the zowie and g100s build quality is straight rear end while the g402 chassis design is poor.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord
Does anyone still make mice with mouse 4 and 5 on the opposite sides? I'm trying to buy a replacement for my Logitech G3 and it seems like that's out of stock everywhere and all anyone makes these days are mice with both of those buttons on the same side.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

TinKelp posted:

Does anyone still make mice with mouse 4 and 5 on the opposite sides? I'm trying to buy a replacement for my Logitech G3 and it seems like that's out of stock everywhere and all anyone makes these days are mice with both of those buttons on the same side.

off the top of my head steelseries Kana v2 has 1 button each on both sides,

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

TinKelp posted:

EVGA's Torq X3 and X5 are pretty similar to the G3, and Logitech's own G300S has programmable buttons on both sides of the mouse (albeit not under the thumb/pinky.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chillyrabbit posted:

off the top of my head steelseries Kana v2 has 1 button each on both sides,

They are also completely discontinued and never sold in the western hemisphere unfortunately. Might be a replacement model in the works but who knows.

EVGA x5 seems like it might be a good option if he doesn't mind the side buttons being smaller. They probably have better customer support anyway.