Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a shot of the studio from the first show.

And now, the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Why'd they have three seats if there were only two hosts?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Just then I was acting concerned about your opinion. Inwardly I was caring about the fact it's 3AM SUN here and I've got to process all my tax info Sunday evening in order to meet with an accountant on Monday at 9AM.

You've obviously got an ax to grind with the show, so you probably should go do something else. It's one of the most popular shows in the world based on the hosts, not because it's about cars. If you think replacing them wouldn't tank the show then I believe you're being willfully dense or slave to your weird hatred.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cloudchamber posted:

Why'd they have three seats if there were only two hosts?

The other guy would pop in with used car deals later on in the segment.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ariza posted:

You've obviously got an ax to grind with the show, so you probably should go do something else. It's one of the most popular shows in the world based on the hosts, not because it's about cars. If you think replacing them wouldn't tank the show then I believe you're being willfully dense or slave to your weird hatred.

No axe to grind, I've followed the show since the beginning. Are all you people petitioning that clarkson makes the show and must be reinstated going to crawl into a ball and cry when he wants to quit?
I really don't watch the show to listen to his hypocritical statements. He's OK, has been better in the past and has developed a 2d persona formula that could be easily replaceable. I don't watch top gear for him, I watch it for the format and production.
Seriously off the top of your head, describe clarkson on top gear.
If it's anything but "speed" "power", "old man", "bumbling fool", "hitting things with a hammer", "power sliding", "laughing at other's misfortune", I'd be interested in what it is. I even have watched the old top gear because it's funny to me as young clarkson looks like my older brother. No axe to grind, I was moved by his tribute to Burns, and even that thing he said recently about a porsche and getting to his dying father. Also the few documentaries he did ion the "greatest raid" and I.K. Brunel.
But bottom line, he's going to retire soon anyway, save us a lot of trouble if they looked at future presenters now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fo3 posted:

No axe to grind, I've followed the show since the begining. Are all you people petitioning that clarkson makes the show and must be reinstated going to crawl into a ball and cry when he wants to quit?
I really don't watch the show to listen to his hypocritical statements. He's OK, has been better in the past and has a formula that could be replaceable. I don't watch top gear for him, I watch it for the format and production.

On the other hand, I only watch Top Gear because of the hosts. I don't care about cars or that other stuff at all.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
So maybe you'd like top gear just as much if not better if they replaced him with a hot looking woman or man then?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Or the robot from Forbidden Planet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fo3 posted:

So maybe you'd like top gear just as much if not better if they replaced him with a hot looking woman or man then?

If the chemistry he/she has with the other hosts is just as good, sure.

Being a gigantic idiot is also a bonus.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Will you settle for a small idiot? Maybe Hammond will stay on :v:

E:VVVV
But I don't think the badge on the cortina matched up. Fail.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2015

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Still going with Philip Glenister as my choice for drop-in replacement. Lumpen middle-aged man with dress sense to match? Check. Best known for playing a ridiculous blustering buffoon? Check. Experience presenting car shows? Check. Get him on board, do a find/replace in the scripts and get the delayed episodes out by this time next week. If you need to edit Clarkson out of the VTs just get a work experience kid to replace any in-car shots with ones from Life on Mars.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Fo3 posted:

I enjoy the chemistry the three hosts had and it was a big reason why I watched the show.

Other alternatives just aren't as good. See: Top Gear US.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Still going with Philip Glenister as my choice for drop-in replacement. Lumpen middle-aged man with dress sense to match? Check. Best known for playing a ridiculous blustering buffoon? Check. Experience presenting car shows? Check. Get him on board, do a find/replace in the scripts and get the delayed episodes out by this time next week. If you need to edit Clarkson out of the VTs just get a work experience kid to replace any in-car shots with ones from Life on Mars.

Voting for this option, since Gene Hunt was based on Clarkson (or at least that's the joke).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDld9IK94U

"Don't move, you're surrounded by armed bastards!"

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 14, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Voting for this option, since Gene Hunt was based on Clarkson (or at least that's the joke).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDld9IK94U
And then there's his interaction with Hammond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmhl6EhnPA

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

And then there's his interaction with Hammond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmhl6EhnPA

Actually, can't we replace him with Keeley Hawes?

:stwoon:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fo3 posted:

How could you be so wrong?
Have you heard of acting?

Are you implying that the friendship of the hosts is only scripted, because they're all pretty clearly, to my eyes, friends in a genuine sense, and that is a huge reason why the show works.

Anyway, I like cars and stuff, but the reason I personally watch the show is because of the hosts. There's a reason why many or most of the big specials are considered the best episodes, and it's because they're focused on the interactions of the guys instead of them doing thing seperately. If they brought in someone to replace Clarkson, I would still give it a shot but I suspect that the show would lose a lot of what makes it work.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The show dies with Clarkson.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D C posted:

It almost certainly will, yes.

Hopefully it doesn't (that is to say, hopefully he doesn't get canned and the whole thing goes down the drain).

I'll miss Top Gear a lot.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

D C posted:

It would die with any of them. They're relationship is Top Gear.

I couldn't imagine something like the diesel BMW 24 hour race being as compelling as it was without any of them

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Why do people keep mentioning Sabine Schmidt? She has all the personality of a rock compared to Clarkson. Being able to drive well isn't really a pre-requisite for the job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

holocaust bloopers posted:

It would die with any of them. They're relationship is Top Gear.

That's my feeling: it would ruin the dynamic if any one member went.

It would always be 'the two top gear guys and that replacement guy'

8ender posted:

Why do people keep mentioning Sabine Schmidt? She has all the personality of a rock compared to Clarkson. Being able to drive well isn't really a pre-requisite for the job.

She's got a quick wit and a sense of humour. If they ever wanted a regular guest, I think she would be great.

Agree that she's much less of a personality than JC, though.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

D C posted:

Yup, apparently. http://m.autoevolution.com/jeremy-clarkson-quits-top-gear-show-cancelled-for-good-93287.html

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Not definitive. I hope they don't kill it off.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

The Sun column doesn't say anything definitive whatsoever. All the players in this drama are keeping things vague for now. It really could play out in dozen of ways.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Chris Knight posted:

Presumably the contracts were done up to have the three all on at the same time.

Rule #1 with TV hosts on a popular show is that you don't have them signed to contracts that end at the same time. You stagger them so they don't have as much bargaining power, and so if one leaves, the other talent can't jump ship immediately with them and bring the entire show to another network. It also means you can continue the show and just replace the first host.

That said it doesn't look like that's going to happen if Jezza is set on retiring. I really hope Sky throws absurd money at them like they have in the past. I'd love to see the three of them on Sky and the fallout from the BBC losing its 2nd biggest cash cow to them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or they could come to the US and take over the show on the History channel :v:

As far as the argument of watching the show for the hosts or cars, because I'm a gearhead I like both, but my wife likes to watch it with me because she thinks they're funny. I imagine a large part of the audience watches because of the hosts/comedy and couldn't really care less about the cars.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If I wanted to watch a show about new cars, I'd watch... :sigh: Motorweek :sigh:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Hey Fifth Gear's still on, right?

Never watched it but apparently it does exist. Somewhere.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

8ender posted:

She's got history with the show, plus compared to most racing drivers a rock is positively riveting television. Whenever Top Gear comes up for renewal the biggest issue is always that a show about three old white men hooning around doing "man stuff" doesn't really fit with the BBC's diversity regulations, and having a (foreign) woman repeatedly show them up and be legitimately the best driver on the show would go a long way to addressing that.

Plus if you don't think her and Clarkson were hilarious in the episode where she beat his Nurburgring time in a Transit, I don't know what to tell you. She's basically Hammond if Hammond were a German woman.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Andrast posted:

On the other hand, I only watch Top Gear because of the hosts. I don't care about cars or that other stuff at all.

This is the thing, while some people might not care if one of the hosts change, the massive overwhelming majority of the worldwide audience would.

It's a car show that my wife actually looks forward to watching with me, and it's because of the Clarkson, Hammond and May hosting combination. There's alot of chemistry there that you can't get without having worked, and been good friends, for 10+ years, you can't just plop a replacement host into any of their spots or it'll kill the show.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
They could just get vicky-butler henderson. She was on old top gear you know. She can drive and is a good tv presenter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NihilismNow posted:

They could just get vicky-butler henderson. She was on old top gear you know. She can drive and is a good tv presenter.

She's a good factual presenter but she's not funny. And having James be the tallest on the show would be weird :v:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Cakefool posted:

She's a good factual presenter but she's not funny. And having James be the tallest on the show would be weird :v:

Hammond hasn't been funny since his accident either. All his bits just make me feel pity for him. You can see he is trying to be who he was but failing.

I really don't buy the current three are the only ones who could do it. They are acting their personas as is (some more than others). While i would prefer the current three continue until one of them dies in a hilarious accident i do feel they can be replaced.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NihilismNow posted:

I really don't buy the current three are the only ones who could do it. They are acting their personas as is (some more than others).

You have obviously not watched American Top Gear.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think Hammond is funny but yes there is obviously a difference since the accident.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

NihilismNow posted:

They could just get vicky-butler henderson. ...... and is a good tv presenter.

She is not a good presenter, she is literal nails on a chalkboard loving awful. She can drive and does know about cars but dear LORD, totally unwatchable because I have and would again hurl a brick through a monitor and / or speakers to avoid one second of that dreadful voice.

Jason Plato is just as godawful and a complete oval office to boot so lets rule him out as well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I wonder if the government will put some pressure on the BBC. Ignoring the PM's friendship with Clarkson Top Gear is the biggest advert for a positive view of Britain we have. All around the world in places you would normally expect people to burn the Union Jack they love Clarkson, Captain Slow and the Hamster. I expect they are the only BBC presenters that would get complete access to the entirety of Iran for example.

Loosing Top Gear would hurt Britain's international image. Just think what people all over the world now think of the Argentineans after the Patagonia special?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
You don't need to know anything about driving or cars to be a good top gear host, hth

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I wonder if the government will put some pressure on the BBC. Ignoring the PM's friendship with Clarkson Top Gear is the biggest advert for a positive view of Britain we have. All around the world in places you would normally expect people to burn the Union Jack they love Clarkson, Captain Slow and the Hamster. I expect they are the only BBC presenters that would get complete access to the entirety of Iran for example.

Loosing Top Gear would hurt Britain's international image. Just think what people all over the world now think of the Argentineans after the Patagonia special?

Well yeah, but he said a mean word once and almost did it again once. Plus he may have punched somebody. You can't come back from that, even if you're one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

She's basically Hammond if Hammond were a German woman.
I bet that's a fanfic somewhere.