Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like the warning sign they use at CERN to signify that helium leaks are possible in an area

designated sit down and stare at your dick corner.
:bsdsnype:

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
that's obviously the time-out corner.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like the warning sign they use at CERN to signify that helium leaks are possible in an area

warning: existential depression ahead

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Space-Pope posted:

warning: existential depression ahead

that's where you go when CERN has created a black hole and you just sit down and wait to get spaghettied

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nar_Am0l9jI&t=13s

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This salt mine gives me cyberpunk vibes:

Church:

Daycare?:

Buffet:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

helium leaks are easy to detect, just pay attention to the tone of your voice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

how many experiments get ruined and how much time and money does it cost if that switch gets flipped when it shouldn't?

the beautiful, shiny switch

the jolly, candy-like switch

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that's where you go when CERN has created a black hole and you just sit down and wait to get spaghettied

is there anything that describes how that would look and feel and how long it would take?
sounds like a p rad way to go

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think it's supposed to be along the lines of "helium makes you fall unconscious so if you see a guy slumped over get out now"

but of course it looks more like

i was reading the OSHA thread a while and there was SO MANY stories of 1 death turning into 10 in situations like that

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

PS. Love the cabin posted:

is there anything that describes how that would look and feel and how long it would take?
sounds like a p rad way to go

well you had to know this was coming

Graff
May 10, 2012

gonadic io posted:

i was reading the OSHA thread a while and there was SO MANY stories of 1 death turning into 10 in situations like that

We had "do not enter if alarm is sounding even if you see unconscious people" sign at work. Takes something like ten seconds to pass out if your accidentally get a lungful of no-oxygen, which is scary.

Effect could probably be harnessed for ultimate stranglewank by some sort of pervert scientist, though, which is probably good.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
In the tunnels we don't have helium/CO2/whatever leak detectors, we have oxygen deficiency detectors. There's several gases used in the LHC experiments so you can' go 'welp, no helium, feel free to work in here'. The poo poo part is we've got argon in large amounts in some detectors, so if you hear the alarm for low O2 you need to think a bit about whether to drop to the floor or try to find some height.

Alse, ODH hazard sign is totally the top 1/2 of a dude holding and staring down at his massive dong.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

is it true the LHC had to be switched off because someone dropped a baguette into it?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

In the tunnels we don't have helium/CO2/whatever leak detectors, we have oxygen deficiency detectors. There's several gases used in the LHC experiments so you can' go 'welp, no helium, feel free to work in here'. The poo poo part is we've got argon in large amounts in some detectors, so if you hear the alarm for low O2 you need to think a bit about whether to drop to the floor or try to find some height.

Alse, ODH hazard sign is totally the top 1/2 of a dude holding and staring down at his massive dong.

How good is your Helium recovery system there? I recently learned that ours (at a university) manages to capture around 90% of our "used" helium which I thought was pretty impressive, given how janky a lot of the setups are. I only use gaseous helium in my main work and we don't have any recovery system in my lab unfortunately, so once in a while we are forced to waste a shitload of high purity helium when purging pumps or whatever. That always makes me feel like poo poo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

the bart,
the

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Sweevo posted:

is it true the LHC had to be switched off because someone dropped a baguette into it?

Apparently a crow or something picked up a baguette that was left out (happens in france, baguettes go from fresh to stale the second they cross the supermarket door, and people often leave them near the trash but not in it for birds/hobos/whatever). Anyway, the bird flies over one of our substations and drops the baguette between the terminals of the 400kV line, and trips half the LHC.
This story is as told by the former head of the accelerators & beams division, but he's known for his storytelling style, so grain of salt and all that.

Power cuts happen all the loving time in summer though. We get a lot of thunderstorms in the geneva region in summer and it's pretty hard to provide power conditioning/redundancy on 0.5GW @ 400kV. We have a load of 18kV lines too for other stuff like the farm I showed us inpacking. It's possible to get a local power cut/brownout at one part of the ring while the rest is fine. Then it's brown trousers time as suddenly your experiment is completely blind to the status of the beam and you gotta reset your poo poo by hand.

DNova posted:

How good is your Helium recovery system there? I recently learned that ours (at a university) manages to capture around 90% of our "used" helium which I thought was pretty impressive, given how janky a lot of the setups are. I only use gaseous helium in my main work and we don't have any recovery system in my lab unfortunately, so once in a while we are forced to waste a shitload of high purity helium when purging pumps or whatever. That always makes me feel like poo poo.

It's better now than it was. After the massive quench in 2008 we lost quite a bit of helium, but that's mainly because the release was so fast and on such a large scale it had to be vented. There's now more recovery tanks, larger vent apertures and stuff so it should work better but that isn't my area of expertise.

Someone asked earlier about the beam dump switch and if it's throw does it cause problems. The short answer is 'not really'. There's two types of situation: Programmed dump and protective dump. The programmed dump happens when the LHC is done with the fill, and there's a handshake procedure where each experiment confirms ready for dump, the state machine cycles through several preparatory procedures then the machine dumps the beam. The protective dump happens in <1000ths of a second and without handshaking but it's still safe, it just takes a little longer to cycle through the preparations to get back to the next fill. Every time there's a power cut, brownout or just a bad hair day for the machine we get an protective dump. No biggie. The bit that takes ages after a protective dump is recovering the postmortem data. Each of the 1000s of beam loss monitors around the LHC can trigger the dump without sending data to the control center. This is because it'd take too long to poll all this and send it around the ring to the nearest fiber. Instead, each one stores the last few seconds of data in a ring buffer. After a dump is triggered by any one BLM the ring buffers of all of them are read out to determine what happened. Takes several minutes to do.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

google translate says that's "who, who, who...please" i feel like it may actually be "this" but idk

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

google translate says that's "who, who, who...please" i feel like it may actually be "this" but idk

I think it's Dutch and translates to something like "mama, this...this...this..." "please!"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

can't even go grocery shopping without seeing a kid having a tantrum

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's Dutch and it says

Mommy, that one, that one, that one

Here you go

Graff
May 10, 2012

DNova posted:

can't even go grocery shopping without seeing a kid having a tantrum

same but boomers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Bj9j-IrS4

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

this is like a french version of drive

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Please don't post my interocitor

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Panty Saluter posted:

i hate this man SO MUCH

why is he doing this whyyyyy

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Accretionist posted:

Church:

Daycare?:

Buffet:

I think it's time to evaluate what "cyberpunk" means. I'm pretty sure a salt mine doesn't qualify.

Panty Saluter posted:

:stonk:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Relax, nobody here would get their calves in there

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Panty Saluter posted:

where does it go?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

where does it go?

You dont recognize ur mom?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Church:

Daycare?:

Buffet:

it's more of an inverted brutalist vibe imho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

openopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopen

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Bluemillion posted:

I think it's time to evaluate what "cyberpunk" means. I'm pretty sure a salt mine doesn't qualify.
yeah

i can see it being scenery in a dystopian sci-fi flick from the '70s or summat tho

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

where does it go?

it doesn't matter. it's his hole. it was made for him.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Glorgnole posted:

inverted brutalist vibe
please don't post my black metal jazz fusion band without linking to my soundcloud tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bluemillion posted:

:stonk:

Makes .me picture neon-lit sermons and buffet-lines in an undercity. Like if the Mines of Moria under Tokyo were abandonedand and people started setting up neon-festooned shanty towns.

• Locked thread