Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anatharon posted:

I suppose that might be why I (and a lot of other people who don't like the story's end) aren't big fans of it.

Leaving the world is not as scary as it seems... :gbsmith:

Well, you already know what they say about good times.

Hotline Miami 2 thread, I will treasure your spoiler tag-laden discussions almost as much as I do the violent neon music visualizer that inspired them. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

Well, you already know what they say about good times.

The five stages of grief, as experienced via video game endings.

Then again considering there's a level editor, well, you know what they say about time.

Time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again. :unsmigghh:

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Well. Finally get through the boat stages, and on the way back to the car the game glitches out and sticks me in a wall. Dunno if I've got the will to slog through that again.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Got gud, can confirm this is a bad game with atrocious level design and even worse bugs. I now have PTSD and will never be able to look at a window or a door the same way ever again.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I the only one who didn't think Dead Ahead wasnt that bad

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Sykic posted:

Got gud, can confirm this is a bad game with atrocious level design and even worse bugs. I now have PTSD and will never be able to look at a window or a door the same way ever again.

h-how..

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Nope, I didn't mind it either. Had 11 minutes total time for my first blind run, compared to thirty for Death Wish. So far I'm definitely enjoying this game! Even the second Soldier level didn't piss me off much.

Of course I just got to Casualties, so we'll see how long that lasts...

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Sykic posted:

Is it at all possible that the reason you think it's bad is because you played it way too much the week it was released? Most games seem pretty bad if you try to marathon them when you're not already familiar with them before you begin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I finished the game in three days, putting the game down every time a level wasn't fun, I definitely didn't breeze through the game averaging B on most missions, it was definitely fun from start to finish it just required slightly more patience and some adjustment to the tactics. Ultimately it's a great game but really not quite as magical as the first, given the strong story and character variety it really felt like it could have been much better and like others I attribute this mostly to the repetitive level design, git gud has nothing to do with it as I also sucked at the first one and still enjoyed it more.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Trick Question posted:

Is it at all possible that the reason you think it's bad is because you played it way too much the week it was released? Most games seem pretty bad if you try to marathon them when you're not already familiar with them before you begin.

Sykic now has a substantial body of evidence collected that this game is bad. I'm hoping he'll share some of the gifs he's collected.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 15, 2015

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

I was rolling through hard pretty easily till I got to Dead Ahead yesturday, just can't get the timing of the gunman in cover right.

That being said Ambush (1st Vietnam) and No Mercy are probably my fav hard levels so far

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dead Ahead is kinda bad, Dead Ahead hardmode is possibly the worst moment in any game ever. Or at least a poorly-designed and frusterating level. Either one.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The best character would be Tony capable of dodgerolling with right click flamethrower breath, prove me wrong.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Just cleared Casualties in 8 minutes first run, git gud scrublords :smug:

I barely made par score and totally see all the issues with it as a level, since I only had as easy a time as I did thanks to shameless abuse of securing the ammo crate then farming sniper kills. The first screen patrols are super crap.

Still having fun though!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MONKET posted:

The best character would be Tony capable of dodgerolling with right click flamethrower breath, prove me wrong.

Only if he was accompanied by a second Tony that fired laser beams from his eyes.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Songbearer posted:

Only if he was accompanied by a second Tony that fired laser beams from his eyes.

The second Tony plays hentai noises from a walkie talkie that lures every enemy in the level down the same doorway in a conga line.

Also, is the total time spent, including all the times you pressed r, factored into a level's score? Or is your score just determined by your best runs?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Corey is a she :ssh:

Whoops! Good to know the Hotline is equal opportunity for all thrill seekers. :v:

Oxxidation posted:

Corey's roll is best used for baiting. Charge into a room, go "cya shitlords" and roll back out, then slaughter everything who rushes after you.

Guess I need to get good. The timing window on when you're invulnerable to bullets seems ridiculously tight. Even when rolling through melee enemies, it feels really sketchy from its strictness, like pixel perfect platforming.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Yo, how's about both the 'git gud' guys and the 'game's poo poo' guys tone it down a tad? Seriously. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle or something like that? I dunno. :shobon:

Anyways, game's pretty solid with a few iffy decisions and level design. The level design kinda encourages a different style of play than the first one, and after I got ahold of that, I was doing pretty good, I think.
Not quite as instantly charming(I guess? Not sure how else to put it.) as the first game, definitely, but the storyline/art-work/music was pretty good.
(If I need to have the achievement for +A-ing all the levels before my opinion matters, gimme a bit. Only two or three more levels to go!)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

SomeIdiot posted:

Yo, how's about both the 'git gud' guys and the 'game's poo poo' guys tone it down a tad? Seriously. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle or something like that? I dunno. :shobon:

Anyways, game's pretty solid with a few iffy decisions and level design. The level design kinda encourages a different style of play than the first one, and after I got ahold of that, I was doing pretty good, I think.
Not quite as instantly charming(I guess? Not sure how else to put it.) as the first game, definitely, but the storyline/art-work/music was pretty good.
(If I need to have the achievement for +A-ing all the levels before my opinion matters, gimme a bit. Only two or three more levels to go!)

Yeah, I can't beat the game on Hard and certainly won't A+ any of the levels, and I think the game is great.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

SomeIdiot posted:

Most people are joking when they say git gud. The game has plenty of bugs and unpredictability, like trying to pick up a specific weapon from a pile of weapons. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope that the editor lets people bring back the claustrophobia of the first one. (And playable jacket with his mask arsenal...)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, even with ample time to reflect on it after beating it, I'm still extremely disappointed. Whether it is objectively as good as Hotline 1 or not, I personally found the game frustrating and unapproachable for almost the entirety of my first playthrough. The trouble I found with the game is that they took the aspect of it being a sequel and therefore must require more skill, too far into that end of the spectrum. Every individual person has a different skill level and a different perspective on the game, sure, but I would not dare recommend this game in its current state to somebody even if they played a lot of the first game which is the important part. Even disregarding the several frequent bugs- most of them gameplay related -to me they were unable to walk that fine line between being unforgiving and being masochistically unforgiving that made the first game so satisfying to play, and that's my biggest complaint with it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 15, 2015

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I dunno, even with ample time to reflect on it after beating it, I'm still extremely disappointed. Whether it is objectively as good as Hotline 1 or not, I personally found the game frustrating and unapproachable for almost the entirety of my first playthrough. The trouble I found with the game is that they took the aspect of it being a sequel and therefore must require more skill, too far into that end of the spectrum. Every individual person has a different skill level and a different perspective on the game, sure, but I would not dare recommend this game in its current state to somebody even if they played a lot of the first game which is the important part. Even disregarding the several frequent bugs- most of them gameplay related -to me they were unable to walk that fine line between being unforgiving and being masochistically unforgiving that made the first game so satisfying to play, and that's my biggest complaint with it.

I totally agree. Like I said earlier in the thread, I sucked pretty bad at the original and still had fun with it. HM2 just felt really unpleasant in its difficulty, and the GUNS GUNS GUNS part of the design really let me down. HM1 eased you into the shooting-heavy parts, and it worked really well. It even made the gun-toting enemies feel more like a threat you had to prioritize instead of just walking into a room and spraying lead/baiting everyone around a corner. The whole way everything played out just felt really repetitive, like I was trying to speedrun something instead of enjoy the game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's either a feat of programming or a cruel twist of fate that this game gives you just long enough to think or say "Oh gently caress!" once you realise you've hosed up before the game brutally kills you.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Trick Question posted:

(Everyone watching my stream saw this and said it missed)

(Enemy walked off the map)

(gently caress doors)

So no, I don't think so.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I dunno, I admit that I'm generally pretty forgiving of bugs, but at the same time, each run in HLM2 is so frenetic and fast that if something gets glitched out, I die and hit R and forget about it 2 seconds later. I can understand these being a much bigger deal if you're really fighting for score and you have some flawless runs interrupted or something though. The only bug I consistently got irritated with was one of the stages where a dog walks through a wall and eats you about half the time.

Also, I dunno about the difficulty thing, 'm pretty bad at these games going by my Steam friends and stuff but I was able to clear Normal pretty easily. One thing I was wondering: I went and played some Hotline Miami 1 again after 2, to check out some story details, and the melee feels WAY less forgiving than it did in HLM2. In HLM2 if I have a melee weapon and I'm rushing like 3 or 4 guys head on in close quarters I feel like I'm going to wipe them out like 9 out of 10 times. The first game seems a lot more finnicky about the window for rushing a guy headon and meleeing him before he melees you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was really disappointed with the game during my first playthrough, even more after beating hard mode, then going back to do all A+ ranks on normal I actually started to have a lot of fun so I don't really know where I stand now

The first HLM is definitely the better game though

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sykic posted:

(Everyone watching my stream saw this and said it missed)

Fair point on the next two, but everyone watching your stream was wrong because you were just barely in the open at the point of death and a pellet goes right through your death hitbox. It's hard to tell there because the gif probably dropped some frames.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

Fair point on the next two, but everyone watching your stream was wrong because you were just barely in the open at the point of death and a pellet goes right through your death hitbox. It's hard to tell there because the gif probably dropped some frames.

This is the moment where the bullet "hits" him, even if it did drop frames you can see it didn't touch him :geno:

Either the character's hitbox is bigger than the character or the bullet's hitbox is bigger than the bullet; either way something is off.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

CJacobs posted:

This is the moment where the bullet "hits" him, even if it did drop frames you can see it didn't touch him :geno:

Either the character's hitbox is bigger than the character or the bullet's hitbox is bigger than the bullet; either way something is off.

Looks like it uses a square hitbox instead of a rectangular or circular one.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Hitboxes are almost always completely different from sprites. Not sure if it's intentionally that big, but you gotta get used to it regardless.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

If they're using collisions the way I think they are, then it will be registering as a hit because the bullet comes into contact with the corner of his hand. GameMaker has an option for setting collisions to be precise to the entire sprite, so it would actually register that as a hit even though it's just barely scraping the corner. You have to take into account the distortion of the bullet sprite due to the angle it's traveling as well (notice how it's kinda bent?) which can make things a little finicky.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh hey yeah Game Maker and collisions can be a nightmare sometimes

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
ITT: Hotline Miami Ballistic Forensics

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Corvo posted:

If they're using collisions the way I think they are, then it will be registering as a hit because the bullet comes into contact with the corner of his hand. GameMaker has an option for setting collisions to be precise to the entire sprite, so it would actually register that as a hit even though it's just barely scraping the corner. You have to take into account the distortion of the bullet sprite due to the angle it's traveling as well (notice how it's kinda bent?) which can make things a little finicky.

Cactus has been using game maker for like a decade, I hope at this point he's not using precise collisions over hitboxes unless he absolutely has to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FYI everyone you aren't actually invinicble to bullets hitting your arms, but you can take one, and I think the fat guy can take two or at least it feels like it.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, he probably just extended the hitbox down the arm/hand so it can't go through walls and let you shoot people on the other side.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Corvo posted:

Yeah, he probably just extended the hitbox down the arm/hand so it can't go through walls and let you shoot people on the other side.

Ironically, because of the length of the barrel, the flamethrower can still do exactly that through unbroken windows. GAME MAKER v:v:v

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe you can't shoot people on the other side of a wall, but with the twins' chainsaw execution against a fatty you can teleport through walls. I found this out on Death Wish. There was a fatty patrolling in that big room on the left, and on a lark I tried clicking on him from the room above him. I chainsaw executed him and then popped out on his side of the wall.

I don't know how actually useful it is because your partner doesn't teleport with you to save your rear end when you're on the other side. Maybe you could use the pistol to lure them totally out of the room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I double-dipped and bought this on PS4 last night, and holy poo poo the console version is a buggy mess. I didn't have any substantial problems on the PC version but in basically every level last night either a guy would walk out of the map or the final door wouldn't open and I'd have to restart.

• Locked thread