Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Since this is the welding thread, here's some pictures from what I'm doing in school:

my limited kit of gear

my midterm MIG T - not perfect but was best in class

the VR practice rig

robot welder

Lincoln Torchmate CNC plasma cutter

Got a decent cut by finding the manual online and following the setup instructions and cut table. Nobody else considered this step so the machine was inoperative until I dropped in.

Machines used for MIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
my limited kit of gear

Better than what I started with for sure. I use the same mask now for welding cobalt.

my midterm MIG T - not perfect but was best in class

Strange you are doing such short passes. What comes after this?

the VR practice rig

I tried one of these before and I wasn't impressed. It's neat in theory, in practice I'd rather hold a real MIG gun.

robot welder

Lincoln Torchmate CNC plasma cutter

Got a decent cut by finding the manual online and following the setup instructions and cut table. Nobody else considered this step so the machine was inoperative until I dropped in.

All these machines are much nicer than what we had when I went to school.

Machines used for MIG

That Miller is nice, ask if you can keep it after.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 22, 2015

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

ultimateforce posted:

Better than what I started with for sure. I use the same mask now for welding cobalt.
I'm very pleased with the mask. It compares nicely to a miller digital elite for a fraction of the price.

quote:

Strange you are doing such short passes. What comes after this?
Vertical MIG, then TIG butt welds.

quote:

I tried one of these before and I wasn't impressed. It's neat in theory, in practice I'd rather hold a real MIG gun.
I found it helpful for building muscle memory for speed and distance, not much past that. The VR compares poorly to oculus tech.

quote:

All these machines are much nicer than what we had when I went to school.
I see a lot of possibilities for the CNC plasma.

Some pictures of my first practice TIG welds from the class on angle scrap. I know there's some rough spots at the ends and corner, and that I could prep the metal more.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

You are doing great but this is the weirdest way to practice. What a bad use of material, in my EXPERT opinion.

In other news, less than a year till I open my shop.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

From my experience people in Japan can't weld worth a poo poo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ultimateforce posted:

From my experience people in Japan can't weld worth a poo poo.

Stragely, their welding (in the pictures i've seen) looks poo poo, unless it's titanium. Drift cars with titanium exhausts and segmented intake piping, it's really good.

Weld in a roll cage and just blindly attack it with a gas-less MIG. :v:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

ultimateforce posted:

You are doing great but this is the weirdest way to practice. What a bad use of material, in my EXPERT opinion.

In other news, less than a year till I open my shop.

I was messing around with scraps from the cutoff saw. What do you recommend using for TIG practice? I have access to sheet, plate, angle, square and round tubing.

I wanted to practice welds on round tubing, but the instructor is stubborn. She insisted that I notch the tubes with an endmill the ID (not OD) of the tubing. Not gonna bother practicing that if I'm practicing doing it wrong.

:ughh:

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 14, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
[Removed]

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 14, 2015

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I've worked with a few woman welders, if you think that's weird please get out of my thread.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Giblet Plus! posted:

I was messing around with scraps from the cutoff saw. What do you recommend using for TIG practice? I have access to sheet, plate, angle, square and round tubing.

I wanted to practice welds on round tubing, but the instructor is stubborn. She insisted that I notch the tubes with an endmill the ID (not OD) of the tubing. Not gonna bother practicing that if I'm practicing doing it wrong.

:ughh:

You should be doing the basics. (In this order.)

Lap joints, horizontal then vertical.
Corner joints, horizontal and vertical.
Corner joints horizontal, vertical, and over head.
Open root welds horizontal and vertical. (With and without backing plates.)

Edit: All with flat plate.

So wait, you're notching tubes to fit the ID of the other pipe you are attaching it to? How does that make sense?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ultimateforce posted:

I've worked with a few woman welders, if you think that's weird please get out of my thread.

It was obviously a joke, but ok.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

It was obviously a joke, but ok.

You can stay.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Musta hit me two times, real welders don't die.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Noooooooooo! :cry:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, it took that hit like a champ. RIP.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My dad is a TV repairman and has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
RIP Forester, you never got to know the sideways joy that awaited you. Burn tires in car heaven.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That'll weld right out

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I see the hit activated Subaru's magical "why won't my parking lights turn off?!" switch (or is that the hazards?). You're also going to be one sore bastard tomorrow (today, I guess).

What happened anyway? Glad to see you're in decent shape after that. Was Ms Force with you? (I assume yes, since the passenger airbag popped, but I forget if your Forester was old enough to have airbags that deactivated themselves if nobody was in the passenger seat).

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, it took that hit like a champ. RIP.

This too, it held up very well against what looks like a pretty good hit.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

leica posted:

My dad is a TV repairman and has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it.

Poor Forester (RIP) but this made me bust out laughing.
Any ideas for a replacement?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

RIP Forester :(

Glad you're okay though UF.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I was going down Hall Road (pictured) when some guy ignored a stop sign and plowed into me. I tried to avoid the accident but he still clipped me enough to send me towards the pole. I reacted but still hit the pole hard enough to smash the other side of my car. Broken collar bone, air bag burns, and some knee damage. Have to get more x-rays tomorrow. The other guy went straight to the ER.

Edit: I was alone in the car, luckily.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 15, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drat dude, glad you're mostly ok. The Forester held up great all things considered.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Holy gently caress! Good to hear that it's nothing life threatening, but with you being in Florida I feel worried that this is somehow going to end up costing you money due to OBAMAcare. Does liability insurance cover disability leave in Florida or will UF have to find some bigger bootstraps? I'm from :canada: and the very thought of being in debt because of health problems simultaneously sickens and frightens me. Hope everything works itself out and insurance pays for a JDM forester STI front clip.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Talked to a lawyer he said because I didn't get seriously injured and have health insurance I'm probably not going to get a settlement past the KBB value of my car (nothing).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Your lawyer sounds lazy and you should probably get a new one. Broken collar bone isn't serious? Since when?

You have money for pain and suffering coming to you as well as for the loss of the car. It may take awhile to get done but it can most certainly be done, you just have to be patient and let the idiot insurance adjusters play their stupid games with the lawyers, and eventually you'll get paid.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For gods sake just don't settle right away. You might feel fine at first, but then a week later you might be in a metric poo poo ton of pain.

*Not a lawyer, but the minute you settle you pretty much give up any and all future monies for any future medical bills.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah don't settle right away for sure, it was two years before we settled on our accident (rear ended) but we got a fair settlement in the end. We also had to fire our first lawyer because he was lazy and only spoke to us through his paralegal. Once we got a lawyer that actually gave a poo poo and was willing to work for us, he played the game (musical adjusters) with the insurance company until we got a reasonable settlement offer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ultimateforce posted:

Talked to a lawyer he said because I didn't get seriously injured and have health insurance I'm probably not going to get a settlement past the KBB value of my car (nothing).

Whoa whoa whoa, you have a broken collar bone and a lawyer said that? Get a new one.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

revmoo posted:

Lawyer? Get a new one.

This.

Glad to hear that you survived, and it's good that you're well enough to post. Too bad about the Foz, but it kept you relatively safe with what looks like a hell of a hit. Now hopefully you get the proper medical treatment, and the proper compensation with the help a lawyer who has a better attitude.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

My collar bone is killing me, I think I aggravated it because I'm bored and I can't hold still. Really hoping for good xrays tomorrow and nothing completely broken in my shoulder or knee. I am so mad I don't have my car right now and I have to miss work. I'm so close to being done with loans and getting everything sorted out and this happens? Come on man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PM'd you with some lawyer info if you didn't see it already. Any work you miss is gonna count, odds are you could miss quite a bit. Hopefully your employer understands and won't be dicks about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 16, 2015

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

POSSIBLY DUMB IDEA: I'm not taking my antibiotics because I don't want to be apart of the over prescribed pill culture in America.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

leica posted:

PM'd you with some lawyer info if you didn't see it already. Any work you miss is gonna count, odds are you could miss quite a bit. Hopefully your employer understands and won't be dicks about it.

I called my manager and he said I can't come in till my doctor releases me. I should be on 70% pay for now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you play your cards right and can be patient, a decent settlement will be able to help you open your shop.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

My sling was rubbing my burn so I took it off for a while and oh boy that was not a good idea!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ultimateforce posted:

POSSIBLY DUMB IDEA: I'm not taking my antibiotics because I don't want to be apart of the over prescribed pill culture in America.

You've got a (serious?) burn that's open to the environment, take your loving kill-bacteria pills.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You live in America, do what a true american would do and sue the poo poo out of everyone:
- other driver
- everyone else on the road
- road maintenance
- the city
- the company that makes stop signs
- subaru
- your lawyer
- your insurance company
- his insurance company
- his dog

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

revmoo posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you have a broken collar bone and a lawyer said that? Get a new one.

This. There's no reason your own health insurance should be paying for the negligence of others, just like you wouldn't expect to pay for medical bills if something heavy fell on you at work.

Good that your employer is still paying you, but they may have you sign something stating they can go after the other guy for what they've paid you. And with Florida's hilariously low liability limits, and the other guy driving a Kia, you can probably count on hitting the limits of his policy pretty quick. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

ultimateforce posted:

Please be careful, I like reading your thread, you seem like a nice guy and I wouldn't want you to get real sick/die of a crash related burn/bone/whatever infection.

When they talk about that pill culture they generally mean pain killers. The antibiotics problems happen when the people don't take the entire prescription of antibiotics and end up creating drug resistant bugs because of it.

• Locked thread