Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Brewery only, at least for the time being, much like any of their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to Burlington Vermont for a day, April first to the second. I would like to know where would be a good place to pick up some Heady? I'm looking at a possible 5 cases total.

Also we'll probably have time for one bar or brewery while there, what should be prioritize?

I love the Farmhouse as a good place for local beer and good food.

As far as Heady you can try to call around some grocery stores to see when they expect their delivery.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 14, 2015

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

This was the tap list when we stopped at Cellarmaker. I'll do a bigger post later but my favorite was the red wine Jezebel

Pretty solid list, just missing a double ipa(looks like they're fixing that soon though). Most of the Mo' line of beers are good, because mosaic is a great hop. I wanna go try that Riwaka pale ale.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

I love the Farmhouse as a good place for local beer and good food.

As far as Heady you can try to call around some grocery stores to see when they expect their deliver.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can get at least 2 cases. I have a few friends who really want me to get it for them.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
loving lol, Toppling Goliath is pouring Budweiser in their taproom

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

funkybottoms posted:

That is loving fantastic.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

funkybottoms posted:

Is it actually Budweiser? Not them just being cheeky about another, better beer flying under the radar?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Merkin Muffley posted:

Is it actually Budweiser? Not them just being cheeky about another, better beer flying under the radar?

Yeah, they've done that before.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Merkin Muffley posted:

Haaaaaa well played! How stealthy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to Burlington Vermont for a day, April first to the second. I would like to know where would be a good place to pick up some Heady? I'm looking at a possible 5 cases total.

Also we'll probably have time for one bar or brewery while there, what should be prioritize?

Hunger Mountain Co-Op and Winooski Bev have cases on Thursdays. If you manage to score 5 cases you are a superhero at this point. Farmhouse in Burlington is awesome. Go. (Do Zero Gravity if you can too).

In other news, Dogfish made a new batch of Festina Lente! It's not an acid bomb! To be honest I'm curious how it will age. As of now I'm willing to liken it to Peche n Brett Lite. I'm not sure how big the batch is, but I'm guessing that this will be festival/event only like all of their good beers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

cryme posted:

Hunger Mountain Co-Op and Winooski Bev have cases on Thursdays. If you manage to score 5 cases you are a superhero at this point. Farmhouse in Burlington is awesome. Go. (Do Zero Gravity if you can too).

In other news, Dogfish made a new batch of Festina Lente! It's not an acid bomb! To be honest I'm curious how it will age. As of now I'm willing to liken it to Peche n Brett Lite. I'm not sure how big the batch is, but I'm guessing that this will be festival/event only like all of their good beers.

Thanks for the options. If I could get 2 cases I would be totally fine. The other 3 are for the two other people coming with me who also want them. I'll check out those places, it works out since I'm leaving Thursday!

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Merkin Muffley posted:

Apex did something similar last year, but it was actually PtY.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Heady Topper and PtY are not that special anymore with all the other great beers out there, and people hunting down multiple cases of Heady are weird.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Podima posted:

Heady Topper and PtY are not that special anymore with all the other great beers out there, and people hunting down multiple cases of Heady are weird.

10000x this. These were remarkable beers 10 years ago that are equalled or bettered by much more readily available beers now.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

MunchE posted:

10000x this. These were remarkable beers 10 years ago that are equalled or bettered by much more readily available beers now.

PtY sure, but Heady is a pretty unique beer IMO. What readily available beer out there tastes like Heady?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

PtY sure, but Heady is a pretty unique beer IMO. What readily available beer out there tastes like Heady?

First batch of Dirtwolf did, unfortunately they changed the hoppiglng schedule.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I still love Heady. It's probably one of my favorite all time beers . I've had swish and sip and mastermind ... I always go back to Heady

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Nothing will replace my precious 3-way ipa though... :smithcloud:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

internet celebrity posted:

Big aroma fruit forward low bitterness IPAs are the trend everywhere now. There are tons of places making great ones.

air- posted:

Beer was god damned awesome.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

MunchE posted:

I have yet to try PtY but PtE (lol abbreviations) is still one of the best IPAs I've had.

GI Stout fest was filled with a bunch of stouts today that may or may not have tasted whale like.

I also saw Leafhouse who can back me up on my assessment of the day.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Compusaurus posted:

I have yet to try PtY but PtE (lol abbreviations) is still one of the best IPAs I've had.

Pliny is a fantastic IPA (Elder is better than Younger IMO). I buy it every time I see it because it's great. I'm not going to drive for hours and buy a case of it, because I can buy 10 other great IPAs at my local liquor store.

There was a time when it was in another class than other IPAs, but that time has passed. I can get IPAs that are great from tons of breweries now.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

Except this year's 3 Way...

MunchE posted:

Pliny is a fantastic IPA (Elder is better than Younger IMO). I buy it every time I see it because it's great. I'm not going to drive for hours and buy a case of it, because I can buy 10 other great IPAs at my local liquor store.

Pretty much how I feel. I drink it whenever I get the chance, but I'm never unhappy that it is a little hard to come by.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Wellp, Bells Jupiter is a pretty darn good (imperial) brown ale. But also "just a brown ale" so whatever. Brown ales are a bit strange to me in that they seem to exist in a weird phantom zone where they taste good but don't seem to serve a particular purpose. Like there's almost always something else I'd rather have than a brown ale, even though I enjoy them.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I basically agree about the HT over hype. Between the 3 ultra hype beers in my area - heady topper, Gandhi bot and sip of sunshine - the least hyped Gandhi bot is easily the best, imo. However I'd take any of NEBCOs one off beers over Gandhi any day of the week. Everything they put out is world class but because they don't have the stupid beer nerd hype train they get a lot less attention than Gandhi. And while I'm at it, if anyone is trying and failing to get Fuzzy Baby Ducks, you are missing absolutely nothing. It's a great beer, but no better than most of the stuff they put out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

no, it was definitely Bud at TG- there's a big ITK in another group who posted about it. another guy who was there last week saw someone in the taproom drinking a bottle of Bud, as well.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

cryme posted:

I tried an old bottle of Festina Lente last year, and it's probably the best Dogfish Head beer I've ever had. It aged rather gracefully, and impressed me quite a bit. I don't think it's one of the best AWAs ever produced or anything, but it was pretty awesome for a Dogfish beer. I'm typically pretty disappointed with their offerings, so it was a nice change of pace.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shabadu posted:

im losing my poo poo aaaaaaa

(not my picture, im going sometime next week for sure)

Yes please.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

I basically agree about the HT over hype. Between the 3 ultra hype beers in my area - heady topper, Gandhi bot and sip of sunshine - the least hyped Gandhi bot is easily the best, imo. However I'd take any of NEBCOs one off beers over Gandhi any day of the week. Everything they put out is world class but because they don't have the stupid beer nerd hype train they get a lot less attention than Gandhi. And while I'm at it, if anyone is trying and failing to get Fuzzy Baby Ducks, you are missing absolutely nothing. It's a great beer, but no better than most of the stuff they put out.

We always stop at NEBCO on our way up to Vermont.... because her parents live a few minutes from NEBCO and it makes life easier to have a midway point. I disagree about the hype train... Fuzzy Baby Ducks and that barrel aged stout trooper had the place going nuts.... and there's almost always a packed house when we stop for our fills.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

We always stop at NEBCO on our way up to Vermont.... because her parents live a few minutes from NEBCO and it makes life easier to have a midway point. I disagree about the hype train... Fuzzy Baby Ducks and that barrel aged stout trooper had the place going nuts.... and there's almost always a packed house when we stop for our fills.

yeah, i've seen many pictures of crazy-rear end lines in their lovely, drop-tiled, DMV-looking taproom and read about lots of entitled beernerd assholery, too. however chill (edit- left out a word) the place might have been- or still is on certain days- it's definitely got a reputation, now

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 15, 2015

Apache
May 11, 2004

Got to try a ton of really good stuff at Hunahpu's Day yesterday. The lines were short to non-existent for most of the breweries not named Toppling Goliath. Among the 'whale' beers I tried were CBS, which was good, but not sure I'd want more than a 4-5 oz pour of, Double Barrel Huna, which is still really good a year later, SR-71 from Toppling, which wasn't my favorite stout of the trip, but had the longest line. Darwin's had some good sours and wild ale's, as did Creature Comforts out of Athens.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RiggenBlaque posted:

I basically agree about the HT over hype. Between the 3 ultra hype beers in my area - heady topper, Gandhi bot and sip of sunshine - the least hyped Gandhi bot is easily the best, imo.

Gandhi Bot is far and away the biggest pain in the rear end to obtain as well.

Kudosx posted:

I tried an old bottle of Festina Lente last year, and it's probably the best Dogfish Head beer I've ever had. It aged rather gracefully, and impressed me quite a bit. I don't think it's one of the best AWAs ever produced or anything, but it was pretty awesome for a Dogfish beer. I'm typically pretty disappointed with their offerings, so it was a nice change of pace.

Yeah, I've had several tastes of old bottles throughout the years, and it's pretty good - but there is some pretty substantial bottle variation, as well. Some are still extremely peach-forward, and some are incredibly acidic.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Night Shift Whirlpool pale ale :stare:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't get a single high five from a random person yesterday 2/10 worst beer fest ever.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I didn't get a single high five from a random person yesterday 2/10 worst beer fest ever.

I asked two people if they were spanish manlove and they werent

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

man, i even told a whole bunch of dudes to high five you, sad that i don't get to see a "wtf are all these people goons?" post

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was giving sunblock to pale people and wondered how many were goons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Either way, the best things I got to try were Funk'd Blanc from Night Shift, all the sours from NOLA, and a Mango Habanero sour from the homebrew tent. Absolute worst was Regular Coffee from Carton. I was disappointed because I've had good things from them, but a cream ale with coffee is just not my thing.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Regular Coffee is awesome.

But I could see it being less awesome in a florida parking lot.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Now that my head has cleared a bit, I can put down what was good at GI Stout Fest.

GI Clybourn London Fog - BA Oatmeal stout with earl grey tea and cocoa nibs. This was apparently made with the Cthulhu base beer. It was pretty goddamn good and the tea came through really really nicely. Maybe one of the best beers of the day.

GI Clybourn Vainglorious - BA stout with coffee and black raspberry. This is probably my third time having it and it changes every time. Coffee is mostly gone and what remains is a very strong raspberry taste. It is still really good, maybe not as good with the coffee having fallen out but still good.

18th St. BA Hunter Vanilla - just as good as I remember it from last year. It makes Vanilla Rye taste like poo poo.

PW BA Jones Dog - this batch is just as good as previous ones so at least they didn't gently caress that up.

Perennial Imperial Stout with Cherries - really really strong cherry flavor and overall a really well put together stout.

Perennial Abraxus - it's Abraxus, of course it is good.

BCBS mentions - coffee is way, way to acrid now. It is not good. Vanilla Rye still tastes like extract to me and I really don't like it. If you cut it with regular BCBS it tastes considerably better but the beer itself still hasn't calmed down since FOBAB. Prop is still quite tasty and I would gladly drink more. Prop mixed with Coffee was pretty good. Prop mixed with vanilla was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Here's Saturday night's lineup!

Door Kriek was okay, but Framrood was REALLY good. Extremely strong raspberry smell and taste.

Iris and St. lam were awesome as always, but St. Lam is better.

I remember Rueuze as being really, really sour, but after all those other sours it seemed dialed back a bit.

Not pictured: Not Your Father's Root Beer (5% version) and La Folie. NYFRB tasted just like a really good root beer. La Folie is fun to drink between other sours because it really brings out the brown ale aspect of it.

Sublimer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 15, 2015