Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't the crippled Veers thing due to the fact that there's an ESB cut scene that shows Hobbie's snowspeeder hitting his AT-AT, and then after Dark Empire came out and used him, someone at Lucasfilm decided they wanted to use both concepts? Which is also why there are the jokes in the X-wing books about Hobbie being a bacta spokesman because he used so much of it to get healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to be honest, I feel like it's as long since I read most of the material in question that it's all sort of blurred together. :shobon:

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

jivjov posted:

Han and Chewie, Vader, and some random Y-Wing pilot.

Keyan Farlander! Not that minor a character if you have played the first X-Wing game [and I guess he pops up in NJO]

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the other hand, was Veers the officer from the stormtrooper's story in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina who personally removes the guy from AT-AT pilot training because he pointed out that a small ship could get between the thing's legs and mess it up with a tow cable, because it was embarrassing to the entire military philosophy?

Yes indeed, and then the guy ends up being part of the detachment to Tatooine.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't know Veers got that shafted in the EU, though I guess none of it matters now. That treatment is almost as bad as Madine getting blasted by the Darksaber Hutt. I did check out that cut scene though, from the rough animatics it looks like it was the origin of the "head explodes and pours out smoke" effects work that was used on the AT-AT Luke sabered and tossed a grenade into. Julian Glover is still working, give us a Moff Veers cameo, Disney!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

KurdtLives posted:

Keyan Farlander! Not that minor a character if you have played the first X-Wing game [and I guess he pops up in NJO]
I don't know what you're talking about, I flew every mission in that game and I never heard of anyone named Farlander. :smugbert:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Potential BFF posted:

I didn't know Veers got that shafted in the EU, though I guess none of it matters now. That treatment is almost as bad as Madine getting blasted by the Darksaber Hutt. I did check out that cut scene though, from the rough animatics it looks like it was the origin of the "head explodes and pours out smoke" effects work that was used on the AT-AT Luke sabered and tossed a grenade into. Julian Glover is still working, give us a Moff Veers cameo, Disney!

Julian Glover is fantastic as Pycelle, I'd love for him to come back as Veers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

KurdtLives posted:

I thought Keyan's X-Wing was being flown by Luke because Keyan was out injured or something?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
My favorite minor star wars character in Manny Boffins. :rip:

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Hazo posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I flew every mission in that game and I never heard of anyone named Farlander. :smugbert:

I can't tell if you are joking but that is the name of character you are playing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Potential BFF posted:

Veers is one of the few Imperials shown to be competent and he managed to survive the movie and Vader. Let's not forget Admiral Piett either, he got two movies, a scene dedicated to his death by kamikaze, and "INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER!" didn't turn into a meme.

I love Admiral Piett. His ascension through the ranks is such a :unsmith: arch in the movies and I was kind of sad when he died. He was just always in the right place at the right time, ready to be promoted whenever his superiors failed and got choked. And the one time he fails it's when Vader is too distracted to do his usual "kill a minion" thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

KurdtLives posted:

I can't tell if you are joking but that is the name of character you are playing.
Joking. Making fun of the EU wackiness where everything had to be retconned and fitted instead of just letting kids pretend they were their own awesome Rebel pilot. You'd never even know you were playing someone else's missions unless you bought the limited edition/strategy guide/whatever that mentioned him by name.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I love Admiral Piett. His ascension through the ranks is such a :unsmith: arch in the movies and I was kind of sad when he died. He was just always in the right place at the right time, ready to be promoted whenever his superiors failed and got choked. And the one time he fails it's when Vader is too distracted to do his usual "kill a minion" thing.

I remember in the Heir to the Empire 20th anniversary edition, Zahn said he had wanted to bring a character back who died in ROTJ, but Lucasfilm wouldn't let him. For whatever reason, that immediately made me think that Piett was who he wanted to bring back, and that he invented Pellaeon to replace him when he couldn't. I feel like there's a lot of overlap in their characters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember in the Heir to the Empire 20th anniversary edition, Zahn said he had wanted to bring a character back who died in ROTJ, but Lucasfilm wouldn't let him. For whatever reason, that immediately made me think that Piett was who he wanted to bring back, and that he invented Pellaeon to replace him when he couldn't. I feel like there's a lot of overlap in their characters.
He wanted to have Jorus be a clone of Obi-Wan, I know that much.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nessus posted:

He wanted to have Jorus be a clone of Obi-Wan, I know that much.

OB-2, then?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
ObII-Wan.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Oobi-Wan.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Twobi-Wan

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ooby-two

I wanna be like you-hoo-hoo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Been Kenobi.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Only one Kenobi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is there a good resource for the new EU novels? What's out and what's coming out? I just finished A New Dawn, which was pretty good. But when I tried searching for more, I got a bit confused distinguishing between the new EU and Legends. I know there's Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, and Heir to the Jedi. But what is Into the Void? Darth's Maul: Son of Dathomir? Dark Disciple? Anything else?

I fell way behind on the old EU, but I'd like to try and keep up on the new one. If I can just figure out what's what.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Into the Void was the Dawn of the Jedi tie-in, wasn't it? If so, then it's non-canon.

Son of Dathomir is a Dark Horse comic based on unproduced Clone Wars scripts, which despite being Dark Horse is still part of the new continuity.

Dark Discipline is a novel also based on unproduced Clone Wars scripts written by FOTJ's Christie Golden about a romance between Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress.

Other than those and the ones you mentioned, I think the only other announced novel is Aftermath, which is coming out in September and will be the first post-ROTJ novel in the new continuity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Paul S. Kemp has a novel coming out with Vader and Palpatine as the main characters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Paul S. Kemp has a novel coming out with Vader and Palpatine as the main characters.

Yeah that's Lords of the Sith.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Star Wars Aftermath, the first big post-ROTJ pre-TFA canon bridge book:

http://www.starwars.com/news/what-happened-after-endor-find-out-in-star-wars-aftermath

Starwars.com posted:

The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them?

:getin:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chuck Wendig writing Star Wars? Get hype.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

No Zorba the Hutt, no deal for me :colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
One thing that kinda bugs me a little about the old post-ROTJ EU is there's never another Emperor after Palpatine. There's some people who are informally "in charge" of the Empire like Ysanne Isard and Thrawn, but there's no official figurehead. I think it would be cool to have an Emperor as basically a puppet monarch while someone behind the scenes while someone like Ysanne Isard calls the shots from the shadows.The Roman Empire didn't collapse when Julius Caesar was assassinated. There were a ton of Emperors after him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gammatron 64 posted:

One thing that kinda bugs me a little about the old post-ROTJ EU is there's never another Emperor after Palpatine. There's some people who are informally "in charge" of the Empire like Ysanne Isard and Thrawn, but there's no official figurehead. I think it would be cool to have an Emperor as basically a puppet monarch while someone behind the scenes while someone like Ysanne Isard calls the shots from the shadows.The Roman Empire didn't collapse when Julius Caesar was assassinated. There were a ton of Emperors after him.
I imagine in the immediate term nobody wanted to put on those pants lest Sheev return and kill them. Plus he got branded as "The Emperor," so you know, can't confuse the young adult audience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I guess they kinda sorta had Sate Pestage occupying that role in the old X-Wing comics, but the problem was that Palpatine expected he'd live forever one way or another, so he never had a formal heir. I think part of the point of the Empire (at least in the Legends continuity) is that it was held together partly because everyone in the hierarchy was terrified of Palpatine and Vader, its political structure comprised a mass of backstabbing bureaucrats and crooked advisors who kept each other in check because Palpatine set them against one another, and the entire military philosophy was predicated on rewarding ambition and ruthlessness rather ability and duty, so as soon as Palpatine and Vader were out of the picture, all the best admirals broke off and tried to set up their own little pocket kingdoms (which is an aspect of the post-ROTJ Legends EU I quite liked, because it was a bit like Alexander's empire fracturing into Pontus, Ptolemaic Egypt, the Seleucid Empire and so on after he died).

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
It's amusing to me that the old EU used the story of the Empire hanging on after RotJ, which then seemed strange when the RotJ special edition came out and seemed to promote "Everyone is celebrating everywhere! The Empire is dead! The galaxy is cool now!".

Then the EU had to go back post-SE and say, "Ahh, not really, the Empire quickly clamped down on the celebrations and stopped that." Which seemed a bit ridiculous in the sense of them being desperate to protect the post-RotJ EU they had developed in the face of the new series ending paradigm.

Then the sequel trilogy gets developed, and ends up going with that same story anyway.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Roman Empire didn't collapse when Julius Caesar was assassinated. There were a ton of Emperors after him.

All of the emperors were after Julius Caesar because the Roman Empire didn't begin until after his death.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

A funny thought hit me: do we even know if the Chiss exist these days?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

All of the emperors were after Julius Caesar because the Roman Empire didn't begin until after his death.

Considering the size of the Empire, I always saw it more as Imperial Russia after the last Romanov/China after the 1911 Revolution. Huge amounts of territory filled with loyal and rogue militarists all itching for either their own piece of the action or desperately trying to keep the status quo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

A funny thought hit me: do we even know if the Chiss exist these days?

Not in any canon thing, I don't think. Although they're still in the Fantasy Flight cards and The Old Republic, both of which are being continued despite being "Legends".

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Teek posted:

Star Wars Aftermath, the first big post-ROTJ pre-TFA canon bridge book:

http://www.starwars.com/news/what-happened-after-endor-find-out-in-star-wars-aftermath

:getin:

This actually sounds pretty legit, can't wait for the sperg rage "Mu muh canon stuff " though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

Not in any canon thing, I don't think. Although they're still in the Fantasy Flight cards and The Old Republic, both of which are being continued despite being "Legends".

Promotional art also makes it look like Thrawn is going to be around in some capacity, so presumably the Chiss are being kept.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Possibly Chicken posted:

This actually sounds pretty legit, can't wait for the sperg rage "Mu muh canon stuff " though.

Oh that's already everywhere. There's a handful of Facebook groups dedicated to petitioning Disney to continue the "real" EU or whatever (which is all well and good, and I do kinda wish we were still getting Legends-continuity entries) but some people are completely clueless and out of touch with what's happening.

"Disney's new fan fiction is terrible, bring back the real EU" uhh, you realize that the new Story Group stuff is EXPLICITLY non fanfic and is intended to be just as canon as the films, right?

"I won't stand for Disney disrespecting the hard work of the EU authors" how exactly did Disney disrespect anyone or anything? If anything, I half expected the old EU to be pushed out of print and be treated as if it never existed at all. Instead it all got explicitly relegated to its own product line, complete with fancy new Legends branding. That's a waaaay better outcome than we really could have hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess they kinda sorta had Sate Pestage occupying that role in the old X-Wing comics, but the problem was that Palpatine expected he'd live forever one way or another, so he never had a formal heir. I think part of the point of the Empire (at least in the Legends continuity) is that it was held together partly because everyone in the hierarchy was terrified of Palpatine and Vader, its political structure comprised a mass of backstabbing bureaucrats and crooked advisors who kept each other in check because Palpatine set them against one another, and the entire military philosophy was predicated on rewarding ambition and ruthlessness rather ability and duty, so as soon as Palpatine and Vader were out of the picture, all the best admirals broke off and tried to set up their own little pocket kingdoms (which is an aspect of the post-ROTJ Legends EU I quite liked, because it was a bit like Alexander's empire fracturing into Pontus, Ptolemaic Egypt, the Seleucid Empire and so on after he died).
Crimson Empire had Carnor Jax set up as a next emperor hopeful type, then they were trying to choose the next emperor in the second one. It's too bad they didn't do more with the idea, or promote some kind of consistency.