Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Looks like someone needs a lesson in motorcycle awareness. Why weren't you hyper-vigilantly watching your rear view mirrors for speeding motorcycles so you could yield the lane to them immediately regardless of other traffic or road conditions?

:argh: fuckin cagers!

But unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

revmoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_vnK62L4Y

Bad drivers of South Carolina.

This is the first video I've seen that even comes close to the kind of bad drivers we have in Kentucky. The only difference is that you see cops in these videos.

While he certainly found some idiots, that guy sure drives like a huge rear end in a top hat. He seems a lot more concerned with being right and punishing people than with safety or common decency.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You're not wrong, but his behavior doesn't really reflect on the actions of the people in the video clips.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was going down the main street of my town when some old woman in a minivan pulls out into the left lane right in front of me. I have to brake hard and as I start to pass her she moves right with no indicator and I have to brake harder. I honk and go on my merry way only to see her make the next right into the same drat parking lot she just exited. There was no one in the right lane to begin with and she was doing 15 in a 45 zone. loving tourists.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 15, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Was going down the main street of my town when some old woman in a minivan pulls out into the left lane right in front of me. I have to break hard and as I start to pass her she moves right with no indicator and I have to break harder. I honk and go on my merry way only to see her make the next right into the same drat parking lot she just exited. There was no one in the right lane to begin with and she was doing 15 in a 45 zone. loving tourists.

The word you are looking for is brake.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

EightBit posted:

The word you are looking for is brake.

Yeah, autocorrect changed it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

revmoo posted:

You're not wrong, but his behavior doesn't really reflect on the actions of the people in the video clips.

I don't hear him using his turn signal much.....

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was just sitting at an outside table having a drink, and everyone outside watched a guy in a brand new Chevy Tahoe back into a bright yellow concrete post in the parking lot 2 or 3 times. Eventually his passenger got out to help him navigate away from the post and through the 20-foot-wide exit and out into the street. Then it took the driver 30 seconds to figure out how to unlock the door so his navigator could get back in.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

good jovi posted:

While he certainly found some idiots, that guy sure drives like a huge rear end in a top hat. He seems a lot more concerned with being right and punishing people than with safety or common decency.

From what I saw briefly I don't see how he's an rear end in a top hat. But people called him that a couple times and it's his selective clips so :shrug:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 15, 2015

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any laws prohibiting the installation of a megaphone. like the ones that cops have on their cruisers, on my civilian vehicle?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

These are the assholes you share a road with.

Tooling down I-10 tonight when I see a ridiculously bright light coming towards me in the middle of oncoming traffic. As it gets closer, I see that it's a Jeep, running along in the middle lane (of 5 lanes) with his hi-beams on, his KC super-offroad bumper lights on, and his full-width off-road bright-as-the-loving-sun LED light bar on top on. loving idiot, hopefully his wiring is bad and his Jeep burns to the ground in the near future.

I sure wish the police would pull over and ticket people who do that poo poo, it's not like it's hard to spot them.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Locator posted:

I sure wish the police would pull over and ticket people who do that poo poo, it's not like it's hard to spot them.

Pretty sure 99% of cops will pull someone over for blinding other drivers and themselves. They can probably pick and choose which law to do it under too, its super dangerous. I'm amazed it still isn't illegal to roll coal on someone though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tuna posted:

Pretty sure 99% of cops will pull someone over for blinding other drivers and themselves.

Explain all of the HID retrofit kits that obviously go unpunished day in and day out :colbert:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

SperginMcBadposter posted:

It looks like he's in britland anyways. The right hand lanes are for passing over there.

That is what I thought at first, but at the very beginning of the video you can see an oncoming semi to his left, so I'm pretty sure he is in the passing lane. I still think the motorcycle is a dick especially since the right lane appeared wide open, I am just wondering if maybe there was a left exit ahead.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

tuna posted:

Pretty sure 99% of cops will pull someone over for blinding other drivers and themselves. They can probably pick and choose which law to do it under too, its super dangerous. I'm amazed it still isn't illegal to roll coal on someone though.

I mean it's against EPA emissions regulations, but that's a little hard to enforce in states that don't have inspections. The actual act of it should definitely be assault though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Armacham posted:

I mean it's against EPA emissions regulations, but that's a little hard to enforce in states that don't have inspections. The actual act of it should definitely be assault though.

Even in some states with inspections. We have inspections in Texas but diesels are exempt from emissions testing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was just sitting at an outside table having a drink, and everyone outside watched a guy in a brand new Chevy Tahoe back into a bright yellow concrete post in the parking lot 2 or 3 times. Eventually his passenger got out to help him navigate away from the post and through the 20-foot-wide exit and out into the street. Then it took the driver 30 seconds to figure out how to unlock the door so his navigator could get back in.

I'd say once a week I see someone who is driving a vehicle much larger than their ability allows for playing pinball in a parking lot. Of course the natural reaction to this in Texas is "why don't they make the parking spots and lot bigger!' and not 'hmm maybe we should stop driving vehicles with their own zip code'

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Locator posted:

These are the assholes you share a road with.

Tooling down I-10 tonight when I see a ridiculously bright light coming towards me in the middle of oncoming traffic. As it gets closer, I see that it's a Jeep, running along in the middle lane (of 5 lanes) with his hi-beams on, his KC super-offroad bumper lights on, and his full-width off-road bright-as-the-loving-sun LED light bar on top on. loving idiot, hopefully his wiring is bad and his Jeep burns to the ground in the near future.

At night I often drive in the middle lane because it means more time to see and avoid kamikaze deer.

I completely agree on the lightbar and hopes of wiring burning the jeep to the ground however.

EPA violations are a several thousand dollar fine, if you want to get something done start informing the local police of this. I forget if it requires an EPA officer to cite them or if regular cops can, though.

I am not really sure how it fits the definition of assault. I hate brotruckers but using overly broad definitions and making more laws when it is already against multiple unenforced laws is not the way to solve the problem, it is the way to give the police more broad laws to gently caress with everyone with whenever they want. Like, say, civil asset forfeiture, that went real well didn't it?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kastein posted:

EPA violations are a several thousand dollar fine, if you want to get something done start informing the local police of this. I forget if it requires an EPA officer to cite them or if regular cops can, though.

I am not really sure how it fits the definition of assault. I hate brotruckers but using overly broad definitions and making more laws when it is already against multiple unenforced laws is not the way to solve the problem, it is the way to give the police more broad laws to gently caress with everyone with whenever they want. Like, say, civil asset forfeiture, that went real well didn't it?

I think the problem with the EPA stuff though is that old diesel trucks still smoke under acceleration, however they still pass inspection regardless because they were exempt in those years from emissions testing. So the fact is that an old truck with a poor state of tune is still legal to drive, so by extension claiming you see smoke isn't a strong enough reason to suspect a violation.

I'm no lawyer but I bet it would be hard to prove a problem exists without a list of trucks that are permitted to shoot smoke out their stacks vs. trucks that are not, as well as a requirement for how much smoke is "excessive" versus not, etc. etc. Do you time the output of the black smoke, or do you define it by volume? It'd be a tough law to enforce unless you put some very specific measures on the books, and the way the republicans vilify the EPA nowadays I doubt they'll be able to push any meaningful laws through for the next 25 years.

Honestly I think the only way to stop this poo poo is to make it horribly embarrassing to have your truck shoot smoke out like that, but I have no idea how. The South Park thing is kind of funny, but even the "Fags" episode about Harley riders obviously didn't curtail the loud pipes save lives crew.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The epa has bigger poo poo to worry about and has been downsized to the point of ineffectiveness, so I don't think they're going to do much about some guy's smoke tune. I do recall a company that makes the tuning box things getting in trouble.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jamal posted:

The epa has bigger poo poo to worry about and has been downsized to the point of ineffectiveness, so I don't think they're going to do much about some guy's smoke tune. I do recall a company that makes the tuning box things getting in trouble.

Wasn't there one that was hit with massive fines recently for that, and tunes to kill of all EGR and poo poo? Like in the tens of tousands region.

I need to get my EGR/DPF deleted. Between the oil consumption and the hollow DPFs, not only does the van smoke like gently caress in Regen, it sometimes pops and shoots flames out the side.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

gently caress the EPA.

gently caress CARB.

Only buy vintage iron, and scare people with it.

My old diesel always smoked more on biodiesel than standard diesel anyway.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress the EPA.

gently caress CARB.

Only buy vintage iron, and scare people with it.

My old diesel always smoked more on biodiesel than standard diesel anyway.

So you enjoy smog and lung disease?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Yeah, I do.

Anything to kill off city people faster.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Silly liebral, let me show you this study from a couple of scientists who just happen to be on the payroll of ExxonMobil that is at odds with 99.9% of peer-reviewed studies on the topic...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hey! I love my urban blight!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Am I the only person here who wants dense, integrated urban communities with safe and reliable mass transit at all hours so I can keep my sports car and drive it on pristine rural roads without having to keep a beater truck to drive to work every day?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

fakeaccount posted:

Are there any laws prohibiting the installation of a megaphone. like the ones that cops have on their cruisers, on my civilian vehicle?

Maybe. That sort of thing is regulated by your state, not the feds. You'll have to research your state statutes on the subject.

It's legal where I live, FWIW.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fakeaccount posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are no laws prohibiting installation (I have a siren package on my beetle solely for the loud, truck-like horn), but if they can somehow construe that you were impersonating an officer (using the siren, or using the pa in traffic), you get to become a felon.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

There are no laws prohibiting installation (I have a siren package on my beetle solely for the loud, truck-like horn), but if they can somehow construe that you were impersonating an officer (using the siren, or using the pa in traffic), you get to become a felon.

Well, I wouldn't testify in court that a police office would NEVER scream "GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE ROAD, YOU STUPID oval office," at an inhumanly loud volume, but if that's illegal, lock me up right now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fakeaccount posted:

Well, I wouldn't testify in court that a police office would NEVER scream "GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE ROAD, YOU STUPID oval office," at an inhumanly loud volume, but if that's illegal, lock me up right now.

Just yell that out the window like a normal person, geez...

I've done that by accident before. There's two sets of lights right by my building that, if you accelerate quickly when the first turns green, then and only then will you and the person behind you make the second lights without having to wait. I've surprised pedestrians around that area more than once when the person ahead of me has accelerated slowly, like a stupid oval office.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

At night I often drive in the middle lane because it means more time to see and avoid kamikaze deer.

I had no issue at all with the lane he was in. I-10 in Phoenix is a giant freeway, and the 'middle' lane is #3 of 5, and all of them have traffic in them. The lights were the only issue I had.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ijustam posted:

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE

:lol: pulled over by a horse. What a oval office.

What annoys me along with the fact that they try and push black smoke into convertibles/cyclists/pedestrians on purpose, is the fact that the only time they can do that is by flooring it in really slow traffic. Even without a coal tune, if you're sharply accelerating and stopping in bumper to bumper traffic in a small town street you're driving like a oval office to begin with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thelightguy posted:

Am I the only person here who wants dense, integrated urban communities with safe and reliable mass transit at all hours so I can keep my sports car and drive it on pristine rural roads without having to keep a beater truck to drive to work every day?

Yes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

thelightguy posted:

No, I'd like that too. Better transit means fewer assholes on the road, and I think that's something we can all get behind.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Mass transit is communism, though. Why should poor people get around on my dime? :bahgawd:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ijustam posted:

And he has a stack cam. What a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

ijustam posted:

Mass transit is communism, though. Why should poor people get around on my dime? :bahgawd:

I love it when rich people block the construction of bus stops in their communities. As if they wouldn't benefit from their underpaid housekeepers and servants being able to take the bus to work. Nope, have to make sure poor people don't shop at "the rich people mall".