Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean, you can have people who explode and do horrible things over (again, comparatively) petty issues. That's a character you can have in your work of fiction. It's a type of personality that exists.

It just might be a warning sign if it's the main guy with whom you want a significant portion of your target demographic to identify, though.

Which again is sort of what you're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
My girlfriend and I are building our favourite old standard decks. Hers is INN era R/B zombies, and mine is INN/RTR predator ooze aggro. They even work as duel decks in a pinch since they play well against eachother. We also built vampire vs werewolf duel decks (mono black vs R/G) which are pretty great against eachother as well. So just make your own duel decks I guess.

Sidebar: what does everybody think will be the best colour combo for pre-release next weekend? I'm thinking w/g or w/u. But I do love all that lack removal and red burn.....

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
White gets some pretty good removal of its own, though. Silkwrap is a conditional Journey to Nowhere, Pacifism is incredibly good vs big fat idiots (who dominate Sealed as a rule), and there's even that Divine Verdict that also bolsters. Plus there's the dragon-slayer megamorph and Radiant Purge as potential rares, along with the B/R hate card.

I've freed up my weekend, so I might try and make it to all five prereleases for this one. :getin:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I don't know if I should feel bad for getting that joke. And as for my dumb post.... :thejoke: was beaten and bludgeoned into seriousness like 2 posts down. Does this happen often here?
Obviously the Jace Jace will be this new one.

Dope joke

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having an efficient answer to all the flying threats in the format at common seems pretty huge.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

goferchan posted:

Yup, no reason it wouldn't. When a card refers to its own name in its text in that way ("Thunderbreak Regent deals...") it means itself, or "this copy of the card". A spell targeted at a dragon you control triggers the activated ability individually on each copy of the card you have out.

Thanks, i was misremembering how it was stated on the card.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think it's always worth remembering when looking at Wizards in your face simplistic storytelling that the core demographic for the game is teens who hoover up poo poo like twilight, bad anime and Doctor Who like it's going out of fashion.

Lilliana is literally walking down a dark path in the new art.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

That Jace origin is one of those things where you wish your million dollar game had a little more self-control with the stories.

I would honestly be happier with the bullied by jocks origin JerryLee posted.
You ever considered a map of a given Magic plane? The city of guilds has like, six landmarks tops. 100 miles is how big these places are. Tarkir has a single river!

Sultai was a description of drinking the Marang downstream of their palace. They have one. Now it tastes silumgar.

:thejoke:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I thought the average age of magic players was the 18-24 or older range now? From the same demo info as the 38% female stats.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spiderdrake posted:

You ever considered a map of a given Magic plane? The city of guilds has like, six landmarks tops. 100 miles is how big these places are. Tarkir has a single river!
I asked about this before because that's what it always seemed like to me. That these weren't complete universes and were really like small snow globes. It was never a satisfying answer but it makes sense not to build a world Tolkien-like when you have to do it every year.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

I thought the average age of magic players was the 18-24 or older range now? From the same demo info as the 38% female stats.

I fail to see how that invalidates AceClown's point. Those are exactly the kinds of people who a) have a job and b) can then spend all their income on stupid, worthless fanshit. It's why there are so many poo poo fan service skeezy anime out there. They're all competing for that sad, lonely otaku dollar.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm pretty sure that 38% female stat wasn't in answer to "do you play Magic?", but some kind of "have you ever heard of Magic?" brand recognition question. I'd believe that of the people who said yes, 38% of them were female, but I have a really hard time believing they all play, kitchen table or not.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm pretty sure that 38% female stat wasn't in answer to "do you play Magic?", but some kind of "have you ever heard of Magic?" brand recognition question. I'd believe that of the people who said yes, 38% of them were female, but I have a really hard time believing they all play, kitchen table or not.

Like I've been saying, imagine the kind of person who'd say yes to "do you play scrabble?" Tons of Magic players know the rules vaguely and own one Magic deck that they occasionally play. The kind of player dedicated enough to post online about Magic is decidedly in the minority.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I can believe that 38% of players are female because it's not the 80's anymore grandpa

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

forbidden lesbian posted:

I can believe that 38% of players are female because it's not the 80's anymore grandpa

Back in my day we mocked females, because for some reason we can't fathom the fact that WOMEN can play a CARD GAME 'designed' for MEN.

Oh wait no we still do that because human beings are permanently stuck in the pedantic children phase.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Back in my day we mocked females, because for some reason we can't fathom the fact that WOMEN can play a CARD GAME 'designed' for MEN.

Oh wait no we still do that because human beings are permanently stuck in the pedantic children phase.

For all the proof of this you'll ever need, just watch SCG's Twitch whenever a moderately attractive girl is on screen. Then watch people's responses to getting timed out. I've had to block entirely to many people using the term "SJW" unironically.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

suicidesteve posted:

For all the proof of this you'll ever need, just watch SCG's Twitch whenever a moderately attractive girl is on screen. Then watch people's responses to getting timed out. I've had to block entirely to many people using the term "SJW" unironically.

I still don't understand why they brought the chat back.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kyrosiris posted:

That sweet :5bux: they for subscribers. Except twitch takes half of of it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

I remember when SJW used to mean people who said one of their headmates was an infant so they can't be expected to do anything even resembling adult behavior on a consistent basis. Now it's used when someone says sexualized violence is bad. :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I remember when SJW used to mean people who said one of their headmates was an infant so they can't be expected to do anything even resembling adult behavior on a consistent basis. Now it's used when someone says sexualized violence is bad. :smith:

I'm pretty sure it's still the first one

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still the first one

It's not. Oh god it's not.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i thought it was applied to people like that one SCG writer who got fired cause he wanted to kill everybody related to gamergate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

i thought it was applied to people like that one SCG writer who got fired cause he wanted to kill everybody related to gamergate

E: I found this in some random article and holy gently caress why did I scroll down to the comments

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 15, 2015

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So apparently James Fazzolari (zemanjaski in twitch, apparently active in reddit/MTGS also), who has written some CFB articles too during the past year, got DQd for cheating in GP Auckland. Word is he was caught by judge trying to manifest Whisperwood Elemental from his lap. Good to hear classic Mike Long style is still alive.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:v:

I think someone in here made this shortly after the card was spoiled.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Edit: ^^^^ This is my favorite thing.

Kyrosiris posted:

It was always there on mobile, it was free, and it was infinitely better.

It's pretty much used for anyone who defends women for any reason. Telling people to quit being neanderthals who chant "girl" whenever one shows up on screen? SJW.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I think it's like the way people use the casual vs. tryhard spectrum. Everyone who cares less/is worse at a game than me is a dumb casual, and everyone who cares more/is better than me is a greasy fedora-wearing nerd. Right?

It's all relative to my opinions/positions, because of course I am the center around which the universe is defined. :smuggo:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Lunsku posted:

So apparently James Fazzolari (zemanjaski in twitch, apparently active in reddit/MTGS also), who has written some CFB articles too during the past year, got DQd for cheating in GP Auckland. Word is he was caught by judge trying to manifest Whisperwood Elemental from his lap. Good to hear classic Mike Long style is still alive.

I would be totally fine with lifetime bans for cheating in the cases of people who have an established public presence within the game (folks who contribute to gaming/strategy sites with written or podcast content, for instance).

I could care less when some anonymous grinder or PT hopeful gets caught trying to pull off some dumb cheat, but when it's someone who has a place within the larger community and is out there addressing large audiences of Magic players on a regular basis, I have absolutely no sympathy. Get hosed, man.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I would be totally fine with lifetime bans for cheating in the cases of people who have an established public presence within the game (folks who contribute to gaming/strategy sites with written or podcast content, for instance).

I could care less when some anonymous grinder or PT hopeful gets caught trying to pull off some dumb cheat, but when it's someone who has a place within the larger community and is out there addressing large audiences of Magic players on a regular basis, I have absolutely no sympathy. Get hosed, man.

At the very least they sure as hell shouldn't be writing articles after that

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Turn left thread nooooooo

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lunsku posted:

Put Mike Long in the hall of fame

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

"So the three on my creatures get countered and I take 9 and go down to 11?"

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Put Mike Long in the hall of fame

Mike long was actually a pretty good player, even without the cheating, it's just that a lot of people remember him for the cheating that it gives him a bad rep.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

Not really. You take wins any way you can get them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.

It's not your fault he didn't read the card

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

One of the best things about playing merfolk is making scapeshift and burn deal the full 20 to you. Also, Kira owns.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

You should feel bad you used blue magic trickery to defeat the power of the mountain. You have become what you hate.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

You didn't do anything wrong, so you shouldn't feel bad that he hosed up. It's fine to feel bad FOR him, though. I'd definitely be cringing inwardly there.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

I think it's like the way people use the casual vs. tryhard spectrum. Everyone who cares less/is worse at a game than me is a dumb casual, and everyone who cares more/is better than me is a greasy fedora-wearing nerd. Right?

It's all relative to my opinions/positions, because of course I am the center around which the universe is defined. :smuggo:
Out of curiosity, who did you make so angry that you have a Magic-related red custom title? What goon gets that angry about conversations about reprints of cardboard wizard poker cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Magic Übermensch Gfab continues his rein of terror over the GP circuit. Another top 8, this time in limited so I got to see him playing something other than Sultai.

• Locked thread