Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wanted to like Hotline Miami so much. Bought it on PC and PS3 as well (so i got it on PS4 by default) but I can safely say i've never hated the controls in a game more than HM. With a mouse, with a controller... It doesn't matter. I've never felt so uncomfortable trying to control a video game. I thought I would eventually warm up to it but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another funny thing I just remembered about The Order is that it has the longest credits of any game I can remember. The credits are so long that there are credits, then there's an after-credits stinger, and then there are five more minutes of credits

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

precision posted:

Another funny thing I just remembered about The Order is that it has the longest credits of any game I can remember. The credits are so long that there are credits, then there's an after-credits stinger, and then there are five more minutes of credits

Even longer than an Ubisoft credits scroll? Because their credits scrolls are like a half hour long.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

The Assassin's Creed series is basically 90% credits at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NESguerilla posted:

I wanted to like Hotline Miami so much. Bought it on PC and PS3 as well (so i got it on PS4 by default) but I can safely say i've never hated the controls in a game more than HM. With a mouse, with a controller... It doesn't matter. I've never felt so uncomfortable trying to control a video game. I thought I would eventually warm up to it but nope.

Yeah, its so wildly inconsistent its really frustrating. Too easy to get stuck on a doorway, too easy to get stuck coming around a corner, too easy to get stuck on some tiny railing, too easy to accidentally miss somebody because your gun was too close to them, too easy to miss somebody because you shot while they were still getting up rather than waiting for their iframes to stop, just... ugh.

Also gently caress THE DOGS

Dewgy posted:

The Assassin's Creed series is basically 90% credits at this point.

Truth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't actually finished an Assassin's Creed game since 2 :effort:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

precision posted:

It's actually impossible to.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

precision posted:

no one has

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Even longer than GTAV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeK0K5UEE7s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What the gently caress. :eyepop:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't imagine this number of people working on some one entertainment project is a sustainable thing, no matter how well they sometimes do.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

I said come in! posted:

What the gently caress. :eyepop:

Like half of it is soundtrack credits.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Coldforge posted:

Like half of it is soundtrack credits.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero games had endless credits too for the same reason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't imagine this number of people working on some one entertainment project is a sustainable thing, no matter how well they sometimes do.
The insane thing is that like half the budget of Grand Theft Auto 5 was marketing.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

More or less, ya.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
MGS4 had insanely long credits, followed by an equally long and tedious post-credits cutscene. Hard to top for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ehhhh GTAV makes big big money. It may not be the smartest thing but I think they can keep doing it if they want to :v:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I had the same problem and then I played 2 and it just clicked. It made me fire up HM1 and I'm burning through it. I have no idea what changed but yeah the game used to frustrate me but now I'm suddenly good at it. It's kind of like the problem people had with Max Payne 3, you gotta go in guns blazing and not worry about dying.

In other news, Bloodbourne will be my first souls game. :woop:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

In other news, Bloodbourne will be my first souls game. :woop:

if its anything like a souls game, just remember that lock on is a trap vs. multiple enemies

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

if its anything like a souls game, just remember that lock on is a trap vs. multiple enemies

Unless you go caster...does bloodborne even have casters?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhh GTAV makes big big money. It may not be the smartest thing but I think they can keep doing it if they want to :v:
Did all those people really make the game as good as it is though, or just make the development process a bit faster? I know in the case of Ubisoft games, the ridiculous staff is necessary to pump huge games out every year, and I don't think that's to their benefit anymore. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their games that are like that, and I really regret buying Unity.

a cop posted:

I haven't seen anything that looks like magic in any trailer...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a cop posted:

it has items and weapons that simulate some of the classic spells and your magic stat will make more of these things available to you and probably scale their effects

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think he meant the industry as a whole. Triple A games are getting really really expensive to the point they have to be safe bets, like releasing the same far cry/ assassins creed/cod game every year.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guns are a superior replacement for magic, just like in real life

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

echronorian posted:

I think he meant the industry as a whole. Triple A games are getting really really expensive to the point they have to be safe bets, like releasing the same far cry/ assassins creed/cod game every year.
Yeah, I would greatly prefer that talent and money being spread around a bit more, with more mid-range games rather than just massive AAAs and then indie games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Using my PS with PC peripheals to post about starting a download with my phone. :lost:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I would greatly prefer that talent and money being spread around a bit more, with more mid-range games rather than just massive AAAs and then indie games.

I think that would require not only a shift in development but a shift in consumer tastes. Part of the reason for the death of the mid-tier model is that those games didn't sell well. People waited for them to drop in price or just didn't consider them worth the money. Dropping the price is hard because people have an innate mental block at the $30-$40 range where it is too expensive for an impulse buy but at the same time it feels cheaper/low budget.

The $15-$20 tier is the safe bet but that is also why we're getting indies or low-budget titles in those tiers because that the kind of development budget that works for that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised more studios don't have side projects that blatantly reuse already produced assets.

like make a big investment on your safe flagship series and then make 6 small cheap games in the same engine with all existing art assests remixed where you take risks with gameplay. then use what works in the side projects to advance the gameplay in the next iteration of the big game.

Seems like ubisoft wants to be doing this with blood dragon and the rear end creed pirate side games and especially rayman and its ubi art spinoffs but they're ubisoft so they're probably doing it by accident.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm rather liking Ubisoft's experimental stuff like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, etc. They're interesting little experiments and I'll love to see more studios adopt that model.

EDIT: /\ Grow Home is literally a test project for an animation system that turned out to be a fun little time waster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I think that would require not only a shift in development but a shift in consumer tastes. Part of the reason for the death of the mid-tier model is that those games didn't sell well. People waited for them to drop in price or just didn't consider them worth the money. Dropping the price is hard because people have an innate mental block at the $30-$40 range where it is too expensive for an impulse buy but at the same time it feels cheaper/low budget.

The $15-$20 tier is the safe bet but that is also why we're getting indies or low-budget titles in those tiers because that the kind of development budget that works for that
Yeah, you're probably right. I would like $30 games but at the same time I'd always be wondering if they were a deliberately priced up small game, or a deliberately priced down big game. It's just from the force of games costing about $60 for the entire time I've been playing them.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Wasn't Gears of War a small team and relatively cheap to produce? Why so?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nawid posted:

Wasn't Gears of War a small team and relatively cheap to produce? Why so?

Cliffy B had wizard powers maybe

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did all those people really make the game as good as it is though, or just make the development process a bit faster? I know in the case of Ubisoft games, the ridiculous staff is necessary to pump huge games out every year, and I don't think that's to their benefit anymore. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their games that are like that, and I really regret buying Unity.

I think in the case of GTA you definitely feel the benefit of a huge team, with the insane amount of detail and things to do. Every lovely little alleyway or house is unique. But with Ubisoft games and their repeated buildings and copy and paste activities it's definitely mostly to get them out faster.

The death of the mid-budget game is definitely something to be concerned about though, there definitely needs to be some titles in between tiny indie games and megabudget blockbusters, that are free to take risks and do things megabudget games could never do. The movie industry seems to have the same problem at the moment where everything is either a huge franchise or a tiny indie movie.

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm surprised more studios don't have side projects that blatantly reuse already produced assets.

like make a big investment on your safe flagship series and then make 6 small cheap games in the same engine with all existing art assests remixed where you take risks with gameplay. then use what works in the side projects to advance the gameplay in the next iteration of the big game.

Seems like ubisoft wants to be doing this with blood dragon and the rear end creed pirate side games and especially rayman and its ubi art spinoffs but they're ubisoft so they're probably doing it by accident.

Yeah I've thought this before as well. When you see two games from the same studio, and they have both spent ages independently making a lovingly detailed model of a bus or something, you do wonder why there isn't some more asset sharing going on. Kind of like in Hollywood how the same sets get re-used over and over, just with a bit of re-dressing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

marktheando posted:

The movie industry seems to have the same problem at the moment where everything is either a huge franchise or a tiny indie movie.
It's not as bad as it used to be though. They put all their eggs in one basket too often and in the 50s it all finally collapsed. I keep thinking the game biz will go through that too.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mid-sized games are making a comeback probably.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a cop posted:

Doesn't look like it. We all though "No magic!" but then somebody was like "oh there could be magic" so we don't really know, but its probably all bad translations.

The way its looking is some badguys/monsters have magic, but not players. But players may end up getting magitek tools or something? Who knows? I'm excited.

One downside to bloodborne's combat changes does appear to be making the game more homogenous, in that there'll be less build diversity among players. Hopefully its not so major, but it does look like we won't see any "casters" or "healers" or "paladin" types.

echronorian posted:

Uhhhh its already been that way for like, the last two console generations. Wake up and smell the sequels.

Graphically intense AAA games are crazy expensive and generally have to be safe bets. But I think "Indie innovates, AAA makes polished" is a workable model for the game industry overall.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
whatever happened to cliffy b

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think he drove off into the sunset in a ferrari with a chainsaw on the front.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hes making a f2p arena shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

He cashed out of Epic after they got bought and started a new studio.

• Locked thread