Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is he Illuminated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
He's the Avatar of Death. As in, he is the Death Rune Incarnate of the Third Age. Every Age has one Hero that will come to become emblematic of each Rune - Jar-Eel is Harmony Incarnate, which is why when Harrek kills her, his rage is soothed and he returns to Pamaltela to rule the city he conquered. Lunars achieve their goals in strange ways.

He probably achieved something akin to Illumination when he went to the Island of Old Brithos and learned secrets from its ancient ghosts (and he and his Wolf Pirates became more gods than men), but I doubt the deeper mysteries of the universe were ever of interest to him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Think of it this way: Harrek is so bad rear end that Argrath was his first mate.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I find it weird that Harrek is apparently the Avatar of Death and not Lord Death-on-a-Horse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Sharmat posted:

I find it weird that Harrek is apparently the Avatar of Death and not Lord Death-on-a-Horse.

I think DaoH is potentially disorder? Maybe a rune like death but more associated with warfare than Harrek who tends to be a bit more "personal" with his bloodshed.

One thing I like about Harrek's description in the guide is that he "never let a poor man starve" which seems kind of weird for a man who burns gods alive and punts Lunars around like nine pins. And who was the "queen of the kiss" mentioned in the Gunda the Guilty entry? (I will admit I didn't know "Buss" was a word for kiss and assumed it was a misspelled "bust")

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I have a question for the lorespeakers. There's a bunch of material referencing Genert and Pamalt, but where could I go to find out more about Jrust and Vith?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Effectronica posted:

I have a question for the lorespeakers. There's a bunch of material referencing Genert and Pamalt, but where could I go to find out more about Jrust and Vith?

I am not entirely sure there is a Jrust, honestly. And Vith seems to be the head of the Vithelan pantheon (no really), which means the best source of information on him is Revealed Mythologies, which is kind of impossible to get a hold of. If someone who does have it is willing to write up some things, that's probably the best chance you have until the Gods Book is released.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
If there -was- a Jrust at any point, he/she is probably no longer recognizable in that form or by that name. I mean, God-learners built an empire on top of them. If they -had- a "God of the center of our empire" to play with...man.

I wouldn't want to be any hypothetical Jrust is what I'm saying.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jenx posted:

I am not entirely sure there is a Jrust, honestly. And Vith seems to be the head of the Vithelan pantheon (no really), which means the best source of information on him is Revealed Mythologies, which is kind of impossible to get a hold of. If someone who does have it is willing to write up some things, that's probably the best chance you have until the Gods Book is released.

Ouch.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Maybe there used to be a Jrust but the Godlearners were so effective at an experiment to wipe out his existence that everyone, including us, forgot he exists :tinfoil:

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Here's what the glossary says about Vith, along with some notes:

Revealed Mythologies posted:

Vith. Eastern Ruling High God, worshipped mainly by lesser gods. Vith1 is God of the East, just as Genert and Pamalt were gods of the north and south. Vith began existence as one of the Cosmic Musicians, and one of the Second Dancers. He is the active life force of the east, and the intelligence and conciousness behind it. Vith made the world when he gave the life force to his two wives, Laraloori2 and Gebkeran3, who disseminated it throughout the world and its inhabitants. Vith is also Father of Gods and Antigods, whom he begot upon his wives. Vith was a powerful and courageous ruler who overcame Dogsalu4 and ruled for the High Gods Age5. He was deposed by Keltari6, and emanated Enevar7, which restored order. Vith then withdrew and left Govmeranen8 to rule. He lives in his palace, Vithalash, of which the great island of Vithela is merely the outer gate.

1: The God Learners indirectly linked him to Aether, the Father of Yelm and primal being of Light and Fire.
2: Sky Goddess and Mother of the Gods.
3: Underworld Goddess and Mother of the Antigods.
4: An early ruler of the Antigods, he took the form of a great dragon to oppose Vith.
5: This would be better known as the Golden Age.
6: Another king of the Antigods. After being defeated by Enevar, he fled to the fortress, Jakamar, in the deepest depths of the Underworld. From here he rules the Antigods.
7: God of Victory, who was sent away by Vith so that Keltari could not claim him. He studied with Govmeranen until he learned the weakness of Keltari.
8: Son of Dogsalu, and ruler of the ancient empire that encompassed the modern East Isles, Vithela, Kralorela and Teshnos. The God Learners indirectly linked him to Yelm.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Josef bugman posted:

I think DaoH is potentially disorder? Maybe a rune like death but more associated with warfare than Harrek who tends to be a bit more "personal" with his bloodshed.

Wasn't Conflict one of the old primal runes before Death showed up and kind of assumed that aspect?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the Guide he's referred to as 'an' incarnation of Death, that leaves plenty of room for Harrek to be the incarnation of Death.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My personal theory is that Harrek, living in nearby Rathori, absorbed at least as much of Loskalm's Bad Stuff as Lord-Death-on-a-Horse did. If that's true, he spared LDoaH because they were basically kin. Murderous, civilization-crushing kin. :black101:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Haystack posted:

My personal theory is that Harrek, living in nearby Rathori, absorbed at least as much of Loskalm's Bad Stuff as Lord-Death-on-a-Horse did. If that's true, he spared LDoaH because they were basically kin. Murderous, civilization-crushing kin. :black101:

True, but he didn't really spare his actual kin and killed a whole lot of Rathori after skinning the White Bear.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I have a feeling this is going to be a good chapter in Prince of Sartar, with all the buildup Harrek's getting. That said, I don't really feel like this comic is going to get many new people interested in Glorantha the way 13th Age might. It's the weakness of a narrative that jumps around every chapter: so far the whole thing has read like one very extended preamble, because there's no single character to get hooked on, and its just so dense a setting that many will bounce off it otherwise. It's not a great help that while the art is fantastic, the writing can be a little clunky. Dialogue is not Jeff's strong point, I think.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What is everyone's favorite type of Tinimit?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I have a feeling this is going to be a good chapter in Prince of Sartar, with all the buildup Harrek's getting. That said, I don't really feel like this comic is going to get many new people interested in Glorantha the way 13th Age might. It's the weakness of a narrative that jumps around every chapter: so far the whole thing has read like one very extended preamble, because there's no single character to get hooked on, and its just so dense a setting that many will bounce off it otherwise. It's not a great help that while the art is fantastic, the writing can be a little clunky. Dialogue is not Jeff's strong point, I think.

To be fair, both Jeff and I are learning this as we go along. And the reason it reads like an extended preamble, is that it mostly is one. We want to establish the main players before we start with the proper insanity of the Hero Wars.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah which is why I agree with him. This is a great treat to people that are already into the setting on some level. Not a great way to introduce people to the setting in the first place.

The best way to do that remains King of Dragon Pass.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are there any Glorantha novels that are any good? I figured it might be a way to learn more about the setting.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are there any Glorantha novels that are any good? I figured it might be a way to learn more about the setting.

There are not that many, really. There's the Griselda book, but that's mostly just a bunch of stories about someone's PC (if that does it for you, go right ahead!). I'd generally recommend King of Sartar, if you can hunt it down. It's a collection of in-universe documents regarding the origin of Prince Argrath. It's a good read, though out of print for a while now. (There are plans to re-print it at some point in the future, with some further material added in).

Until then, I'm afraid, the closest thing is the Prince of Sartar webcomic. (Self-promotion, hell yeah!)

Edit: Actually, speaking with Jeff - Expect the KoS reprint very soon! So keep an ear out for that!

Jenx fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 23, 2015

groovetastic
May 15, 2013
Hello, Goons.

I'm interested in running classic Glorantha using Moon Design's Gloranthan Classics. Emulating the early feel of classic Chaosium RQ2, it's you, your leather armor and your Disrupt spell taking on Trollkin and Broo in the Big Rubble, but informed by later developments like the Guide to Glorantha and the ongoing Glorantha Renaissance. We'll be chatting and meeting at #cowgames but will be organizing our own IC and OOC channels. The tentative name of the game is #GimpysTavern. We're looking at 5 hours live once every other week live 8 PM to 1 AM EST Fridays, but scheduling is flexible. You can get the free RuneQuest Essentials PDF at this link, and you can learn more about Gloranatha at http://www.glorantha.com and http://www.princeofsartar.com. For Loregoons, it's 1621 ST. Optionally, I may be using the magic system from Legend/OpenQuest (point based common/battle magic) as that more closely resembles Battle Magic in prior editions of RQ.

PCs will be starting RuneQuest PCs, who can be either randomly rolled up in my presence or generated with point buy. PCs can come from anywhere that a young person who is an adventurer in Pavis could come from - a refugee from occupied Sartar, a young buck from the plains of Prax, an exiled noble from the Lunar heartland, a failed wizard's apprentice from Seshnela, or a marooned agimori trader from Pamaltela. PCs will not be initiates in cults, wizards apprentices or anything like that - that's up to them as they prove themselves in Pavis, the city of danger. We'll be using the rules for progressive folk magic and the Gloranthan One Pagers for cults, once it's time for you to join them. The only magic that will be initially available will be Battle/Folk magic. PCs will be considered to have undergone adult initiation but not to have been initiated into any distinct cults.

PM me for more info or drop by #cowgame on SYNirc.net

groovetastic fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Some of you might be interested, but Greg Stafford now has a new site, after the old one kind of died out a while ago.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Heroquest Glorantha is available for preorder! They're sending it off to the printers Monday, and the PDF is available right now.

It features lots of Jenx's art, including his best piece yet:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And pre-ordered because I'm very interested in reading about a system that I will never run. :negative:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Kibner posted:

And pre-ordered because I'm very interested in reading about a system that I will never run. :negative:

Why not? You can always find some people interested here on SA, if nothing else. If you come over to #cowgame I'm sure there'll be enough people also interested in joining a game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it might be more of a problem "breaking in" none gamers.

I ran my first ever game of anything last night and it was hard enough getting people to think about it when we were only using 4 d6 at most.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jenx posted:

Why not? You can always find some people interested here on SA, if nothing else. If you come over to #cowgame I'm sure there'll be enough people also interested in joining a game.

I was speaking more of irl. I really don't enjoy setting up and running a game myself. There is one friend in my roleplaying group that I think would be interested in running a game in this world, but I hate to put everything on him. I appreciate the offer, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Haystack posted:

Heroquest Glorantha is available for preorder! They're sending it off to the printers Monday, and the PDF is available right now.

It features lots of Jenx's art, including his best piece yet:

Who did the art in the second page of the preview, the one with the Sartar Free Army people arguing over a Lunar captive?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Who did the art in the second page of the preview, the one with the Sartar Free Army people arguing over a Lunar captive?

Jan Posposil, he also did a bunch of the big spreads in the Guide

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Can anyone give a rundown on how the Heroquest system plays in practice? I looked at the Wiki article and it goes into the basics, but I'm more used to complex stuff like 4E. Depending on my group's interest I may buy this and run something in it for them. Do we know if the new edition has the fate point = XP issue still? It's one of my pet peeves when they discourage players from doing cool stuff by making them the same thing.

As a side issue, I don't know what the players characters and the GM are supposed to do in Glorantha. There's mythical level things going on the legends that players can interact with through Heroquesting, but then you also have the slower-paced Bronze Age community building stuff in King of Dragon Pass which is what most people are exposed to first. And then there's the stuff in King of Sartar and the Hero Wars where it seems like there's already a highly-defined plot of what's going to happen with a set cast of extremely powerful characters. What's the general tone supposed to be for the Glorantha setting when running Heroquest? How do players make their own mark on the setting?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Who is the Only Old One, and why does he look kind of like a troll but kind of like a human too? He seems pretty chill.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Who is the Only Old One, and why does he look kind of like a troll but kind of like a human too? He seems pretty chill.

ezkankekko the only old one was the troll who led the Kingdom of Night during the Gods' War and who helped protect the peoples of Kethaela during the long night and I Fought We Won. he's a half-troll, the son of Argan Argar and Esrola, and he ruled Kethaela until Belintar waded out of the ocean and murdered his rear end. He was on the Unity Council and IIRC was one of the guys who spoke against the god project. he lived in an obsidian palace on what's now the Shadow Plateau, which Belintar blew the gently caress up as part of their ultraduel. don't remember much else about him, he was mostly pretty chill aside from the whole Shadow Tribute thing, which was pretty much a straight up tax that he had the Kitori collect for him in exchange for having protected the Kethaelans during the end of the Gods War

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

He's a god, who is loved by trolls but is no mere troll (for iron does not burn him) and was super chill. He sheltered many people from Chaos and always honored his pacts.

Belintar killed him during his conquest of Kathela (later called the Holy Country), casting him down and cutting him into pieces. Their battle pulverized the magnificent palace of the Only Old One and covered the Shadow Plateau in broken black glass fragments of every conceivable size.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worth noting that he was a straight up demigod by the end and that the Obsidian Palace was built by Caladra the volcano god during the gods' war. the fact that Belintar was able to take him down and obliterate the palacewas pretty solid proof that Belintar was a stone-cold motherfucker in his own right, as if walking out of the ocean didn't already prove that

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Who knows what the gently caress Belintar is. It took loving Jar-Eel on a heroquest to make him stay dead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wiegieman posted:

Who knows what the gently caress Belintar is. It took loving Jar-Eel on a heroquest to make him stay dead.

Maybe.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Spiderfist Island posted:

What's the general tone supposed to be for the Glorantha setting when running Heroquest? How do players make their own mark on the setting?
Really depends on the type of game the GM and players want. For all the stuff about "PCs are members of defined in-universe communities with concomitant responsibilities and restrictions" that can be really fun to play out, if your players want to be the adventurers who break all the rules and help shatter the world during the Hero Wars? Let em. There are a baker's dozen vague prophecies in the Guide concerning the Hero Wars, pick the ones you think sound the coolest and run with them. In Tindalos' forum game at the moment, I'm angling to make my Hrestoli character the Man of All who becomes Sacred King of Seshnela, based on one of the appendices. But it's up to you!

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
I see the default campaign as a group of characters who have one foot in their community, and one foot out of it. Greg Stafford's view of the standard hero is someone who's both kin and stranger, someone who can interact with foreigners and slay monsters but still come back home and be your cousin (or niece, or mother-in-law, or whatever) when all that's done. You'll go on a heroquest to rescue a great Sartarite hero from the Lunar Hell, sure, but when you get back home, the crops still need to be dealt with. If you want to just worry about raids, trade opportunities, and farming, you reduce the emphasis on the one side. If you want to just worry about saving (or breaking) the world and mythcrawling, you reduce the emphasis on the other. But the default is a mix of both.

Or you can just be adventurers, bumming around, getting wealthy, and being suspicious weirdos. There's plenty of room for that, too.

As for the highly-defined story with the powerful characters, I usually just treat that as an 'until the players show up' thing. Harrek the Berserk will do what he does unless some enterprising PC decides that they want to be the Incarnation of Death, and splatters him across the hills. On the other hand, if you and your group just want to keep their heads down and endure the apocalypse, there's a lot of information on what that apocalypse is going to look like, and the things you'll have to deal with. And if you just want to be xenophobic farmers, then set the clock back and ignore the Hero Wars entirely, and write your own story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Spiderfist Island posted:

Can anyone give a rundown on how the Heroquest system plays in practice? I looked at the Wiki article and it goes into the basics, but I'm more used to complex stuff like 4E. Depending on my group's interest I may buy this and run something in it for them. Do we know if the new edition has the fate point = XP issue still? It's one of my pet peeves when they discourage players from doing cool stuff by making them the same thing.

As a side issue, I don't know what the players characters and the GM are supposed to do in Glorantha. There's mythical level things going on the legends that players can interact with through Heroquesting, but then you also have the slower-paced Bronze Age community building stuff in King of Dragon Pass which is what most people are exposed to first. And then there's the stuff in King of Sartar and the Hero Wars where it seems like there's already a highly-defined plot of what's going to happen with a set cast of extremely powerful characters. What's the general tone supposed to be for the Glorantha setting when running Heroquest? How do players make their own mark on the setting?

Okay first off - I don't see how using HeroPoints as both experience and as Fate points somehow discourages people from doing cool things. That's like saying that it's discouraging for people to do cool things by asking them to roll to see if they succeed. People will still do crazy stuff, regardless. Hell, in HeroQuest this is much easier to justify, since you're not really supposed to just have all of your abilities raised by several points every single session - they work fine as they are.

With that in mind, a basic breakdown of the system - a character is expressed through words or phrases with a numerical value attached to them. Those are called abilities and they can be literally anything - the Clan that you come from is an ability. The fact that you have a cool beard of an unusual color is an ability. Your grandfather's golden sword is an ability. Your wacky trollkin sidekick is an ability. Everything that your character could use to solve a problem (be it magical, martial, social or anything else) is, ultimately, an ability.

That doesn't mean that characters have to list everything they have and give it a rating, but these are just the things about them that stand out. All of these abilities are given a numerical value between 1 and 20. After an ability is raised above 20, instead of writing down as 21, it is instead written as 1W (where the W is usually written as the Mastery rune from Glorantha). This represents an ability score of 1 and one mastery. If an ability is, somehow, raised to 20W and then by one more, it will become 1W2 (or 1WW if you want).

The basic resolution mechanic of the system is this:
1. You say you want to do something. You say you want to use your X ability to achieve [something].
2. You describe what the effects of your actions will be, then your GM describes what will happen if you fail and tells you how difficult it will be to achieve this. This difficulty has a numerical value attached to it (Up to the GM to tell you how much it is or isn't. It's irrelevant to your roll.)
3. You and the GM each roll a d20. You roll against the ability you've decided to use in order to achieve what you want, and the GM rolls against the target number decided when she chose the difficulty of the situation. If you're rolling against another player, and not the GM, then that player uses his or her ability that they chose is most appropriate.
4. Your rolls can be one of 4 results - a Fumble (you rolled a natural 20, regardless of your skill), a Fail (you rolled over your skill), a Success (you rolled under or equal to your skill) or a Critical (you rolled a natural 1, regardless of skill rating). Same goes for the GM. These results are then compared on this table:

As you see it's a simple, and logical way with which the final result is calculated, so I imagine after a few games you might not even need to look at the table.
5. At this point masteries come in. Masteries on each side cancel each other out, then if, say, you have any left you use those to bump down the opposing roll one "level". Once the opposing roll is down to a Fumble, and you still have masteries left, then you start bumping up your own roll. This happens automatically, so I don't think you can chose to not use your mastery.
6. After all of this, if you are not that happy with how the final result looks you can use Hero Points to bump yourself up (you can never use them to bump down the other roll, like a mastery can).
7. Once the final, final result of the contest is decided upon, the GM (and maybe you as well) describe just how things have played out, and how close to your plan things are.

There are other, more complex ways of running contests using several people at once and so on, but the simple contest is the backbone of the system. That's what HeroQuest is, in a nutshell. Rolling dice is usually not the first priority, and you can go quite a while without needing them, depending on how you play.

• Locked thread