Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Air Force goes up to 39 I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't the Army used to be like 42 or 45 in '07?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I.C. posted:

Is 34 too old?

Are you in shape? I just joined at 37 and breezed through navy boot camp. I can still bang out 50 push ups, 50 sit ups and a 11 minute mile and a half run on a good day. I'm only required to do 27, 37 and 15 minutes. The kids are funny as gently caress to watch trying to deal with life and the only real issues I had during boot was missing my own children. If you got thick skin and can deal with the "dad/mom" or "grandpa/grandma" jokes (I combated back by asking to meet their moms(no joke there was some milfs my age among the moms)) its pretty cake. Your NCOs if they are worth a drat will basically leave you alone or lean on you a bit to help keep the kids inline. I was privately asked about everything under the sun embarrassing and mundane and given a lot more respect than I think I deserve.

So in short be sure you really want to give up your home life to go hang out with a bunch of retarded 18yr olds for god knows how many months. It's not so bad but if you cant stand kids its probably not for you.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Volkerball posted:

Didn't the Army used to be like 42 or 45 in '07?
42. There was a dude in my basic platoon who just barely squeaked in and, no surprises here, was a complete fuckup. Couldn't shoot, couldn't PT, couldn't do a goddam thing. He was also super loving annoying. Got recycled. I hope they chaptered his rear end out.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I'm a very short lady and lacking upper body strength, and I guess I am too old. I'm ready to go wherever, but I reckon I should've started earlier. Drag…
e: Thank you all for the fast and honest answers! Much appreciated. :)

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Also, I wasn't trying to bother y'all or troll or anything. I really do appreciate your answers and your service -- I'm not supposed to say that either, I think. But, thank you most sincerely. I'll cut out now!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're fine, that's what this thread is for.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

I.C. posted:

Also, I wasn't trying to bother y'all or troll or anything. I really do appreciate your answers and your service -- I'm not supposed to say that either, I think. But, thank you most sincerely. I'll cut out now!

nobody is bothered by honest questions it's not like you came in here asking if you should enlist with a degree

but seriously, as a 34 year old do you want to be taking orders from some 21 year old piece of poo poo?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cole posted:

nobody is bothered by honest questions it's not like you came in here asking if you should enlist with a degree

but seriously, as a 34 year old do you want to be taking orders from some 21 year old piece of poo poo?

Some people pay good money to for that as long as the 20something is wearing leather lingerie and has a riding crop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I.C. posted:

Is 34 too old?

Edit: You dodged a bullet nuke.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

So in short be sure you really want to give up your home life to go hang out with a bunch of retarded 18yr olds for god knows how many months. It's not so bad but if you cant stand kids its probably not for you.

I'm twenty and don't want to hang out with eighteen-year-old people. :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I.C. posted:

I'm a very short lady and lacking upper body strength, and I guess I am too old. I'm ready to go wherever, but I reckon I should've started earlier. Drag…

Had a legit grandma graduate in another diversion with us. She may have made some poor choices when she was very young but she was fit enough to go through boot at 38. I think her push ups were in the low teens and sit ups were like middle twenties with 16 minutes for her mile and half.

What branch were you looking at?

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
Don't enlist at age 30+ is on par with don't enlist with a degree.

Your first line is going to be someone at least ten years younger than you with little experience as an adult outside of the Army. But they will they think they are smarter than you because they have more general knowledge of Army regulations. Intellectually, you'll be on the same level as a captain but you'll spend all day with 18-21 year old privates who barely graduated high school.

Also, being in a peacetime garrison unit will wreck your body. You don't have to go to war to become a disabled vet, believe me. All the people your age will be 3 or 4 ranks above you and most likely on some kind of permanent profile. Since you'll be lower enlisted scum for a few years, all the retarded pt planned by your superiors will fall especially hard on you. It really doesn't matter how good of shape you're in or how you care for yourself, military life has a way of grinding down the body that you can't imagine.

Take it from me, I enlisted at 30+.

wirefire fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 6, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I enlisted with a 34 year old, dude was retarded, couldn't aim worth a drat, and "passed" his PT test aka got shammed because :surge:

Anyway, it's a bad idea to enlist unless you're a stud and enjoy being a dad to a bunch of retarded teenagers.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
my old department head enlisted at 35 and now he's an intel Warrant-4, pretty badass dude :shrug:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

my old department head enlisted at 35 and now he's an intel Warrant-4, pretty badass dude :shrug:

i know a sergeant major that is pretty cool

does this mean all sergeant majors are cool?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
The older boots were almost always superior to the guys who voluntarily threw away their last teenage years in order to get a jump start on their military career (lol). Granted, "older" would normally be more like 23-28 and not 35+.

I don't think it makes much difference. If you're physically fit enough to not be a giant liability for your peers, and are humble enough to realize that by enlisting you're basically saying "my entire life has been a waste up to this point and I have nothing to show for it", then go ahead and enlist at 40 or whatever.

wirefire posted:

But [19 y.o. "seniors"] will think they are smarter than you because they have more general knowledge of Army regulations.

Anybody who enlists with this attitude ("but I am smarter because life experience"), whether they're 17 or 47, is probably a turd. The 19 year old who knows more about (branch) regulations IS smarter than you for all practical purposes. Nobody gives a gently caress about your child-raising experiences or extensive employment history. If you had anything at all to offer you probably wouldn't have enlisted 10+ years later in life than your fellow boots.

Cole posted:

Consider the context of the bit you quoted before going all D&D saboteur in our own Resource thread.

You Floridian loving harness-and-helmet tier retard.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

You Floridian loving harness-and-helmet tier retard.

you could have saved yourself the redundancy and stopped at Floridian.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Cole posted:

nah, but my point was there's always exceptions to the rule

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just wait until the next troop surge kicks off where the recruitment standards are lower than that of the Volkssturm and enlist. As long as your heart beats you'll be squared.

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

The 19 year old who knows more about (branch) regulations IS smarter than you for all practical purposes.

You've managed to sum up the retardation of military thinking in one sentence.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

wirefire posted:

You've managed to sum up the retardation of military thinking in one sentence.

Promotions and leadership billets turn everyone into a gaping rear end in a top hat.

All gaping assholes being different but equal, I'd rather follow the individual with applicable experience in my job field.

The 35 year old boot with half a philosophy degree and 10 years of retail experience will make a better leader than the 19 year old salt dog a year from now, but as far as combat arms goes grampa is probably better off doing as he's told.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I enlisted later on. I was 27 and overall have never had problems because of my age. However, I feel my experience in the military has been more the exception than the rule. I also flew through the ranks making E-6 at exactly four years and my first two and half years in were mostly in Afghanistan at a small COP where the gay Army very rarely reared it's ugly head. Also joining the military just because you have nothing better to do isn't a good idea. As far as your body goes yes it will get torn up. Mainly because the Army has zero concept of rest, PT schedule planning, or time to adjust. It is not uncommon to see guys coming off of legit profiles for things like a torn ACL and being forced to run or ruck 5+ miles their first day back to regular PT, ending up injured again and starting the viscous cycle of profile, injury, profile, etc. Plus even though the Army PT test standards are x expect to have PT twice a day if you don't make random x score you unit decides is good until you do or are so broke you will never be right again.

Not to mention the fact that when you do get promoted you peers at higher ranks are still retards. You will be surrounded by the stupidest people on the face of the earth more often than not.

tldr: It can work out but it is rare and even then stupid is abound.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

when i enlisted in 2002 we had hella old folks running around with us in basic.

I.C. posted:

please tell me you're going to be a medic. the best part of medic AIT for me was the drill sergeants making all the sub-5' girls carry my 6'5" rear end through the stretcher obstacle course.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I've been thinking about enlisting with the USAF. I've spoken over the phone with a recruiter a few times, however the only job that the he is offering aside from security forces and maintenance (gently caress that from what I've heard) is "RF communications", I think the AFSC code was 3D1

He's been trying to convince me that it's cyber poo poo but from what the name says I was thinking it's more ground radio stuff. I'm asking because I'm starting to get sketchy vibes from the guy, and I'm just curious if my gut feeling is correct that this job is going to shoo me into some BS.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
You'll probably just be fixing radios

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Here's a job description.

Everything is "client level" so it sounds like you're going to be resetting passwords, trying to clear out viruses, replacing gunked up keyboards/mice, and maybe installing TACLANEs (similar to a router) if you can fight off the Grumman contractors who probably get a thousand bucks every time they do one.

If you can get some IT certs out of it, it might not be a bad gig. I don't know if that's an option though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone I know in anything Comm likes their job, even client help desk or whatever people.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Holybat posted:

I've been thinking about enlisting with the USAF. I've spoken over the phone with a recruiter a few times, however the only job that the he is offering aside from security forces and maintenance (gently caress that from what I've heard) is "RF communications", I think the AFSC code was 3D1

He's been trying to convince me that it's cyber poo poo but from what the name says I was thinking it's more ground radio stuff. I'm asking because I'm starting to get sketchy vibes from the guy, and I'm just curious if my gut feeling is correct that this job is going to shoo me into some BS.

Godholio posted:

Here's a job description.

Everything is "client level" so it sounds like you're going to be resetting passwords, trying to clear out viruses, replacing gunked up keyboards/mice, and maybe installing TACLANEs (similar to a router) if you can fight off the Grumman contractors who probably get a thousand bucks every time they do one.

If you can get some IT certs out of it, it might not be a bad gig. I don't know if that's an option though.

Very close, but not client-side work.

3D1 covers most of the comm career field. You'd be RF Transmissions, 3D1x3. Most of the work they do is back-shop, so you wouldn't directly interact with customers. Most of your job would be maintaining radio comms for aircraft and land mobile radios. We have a bunch at my comm squadron, and they seem to like it. It's not for people with a fear of heights, though. Every so often they have to climb our radio tower to mount or repair an antennae.

A better job description.

I know you can get certs for Harris equipment, but I don't know how applicable that is in the civilian world.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Also, if you go RF Transmission, be prepared to always be referred to as "the trans guy/chick."

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Are there any coding jobs available for the air force?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Shif posted:

Are there any coding jobs available for the air force?

There is an Air Force programming AFSC, but I heard from some Comm guys that they're cutting the positions and giving them to civilians as much as possible. Any 3D0X4's to confirm?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Every AF computer program I've ever seen was contracted or commercial off-the-shelf. Windows, IBM Lotus Viewer, Sharepoint, PFPS...all the scheduling software too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Nobody in the service does computer coding. Everything like that is done by contractors. Can still get decent jobs that will give you certifications and stuff. Mostly maintenance though. Coding won't happen.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Hamlet442 posted:

There is an Air Force programming AFSC, but I heard from some Comm guys that they're cutting the positions and giving them to civilians as much as possible. Any 3D0X4's to confirm?

I heard they wanted to shut that job down. Was talking to some dude awhile ago who cross trained out of it, said they had bad retention for obvious reasons.

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008
The RF guys in my squadron have a sweet gig. They just watch TV and play cards in a trailer away from everybody, they only do poo poo when something breaks.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just perused the thread, going to see a recruiter on Friday and had a couple questions I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

Can I negotiate possible law school compensation this early? The Navy website seems to indicate that there are two options; you can request to be transferred into JAG and get a JD from a school of your choice after 2 or 3 years of service or go directly into JAG from law school. Now I've heard JAG is highly competitive and only accepts around 4 candidates a year so I'm not sure if I want to risk going to law school first since I really can't pay it out of pocket.

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and did 4 years of college swimming where I was a standout. How much leverage, if any, would I have over a recruiter in trying to negotiate law school compensation? Would the GI bill or yellow ribbon apply to me?

Probably worth mentioning that I have a not insignificant undergrad debt.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

First question: Are you trying to enlist or commission? If the answer is #1, you should probably just chuck yourself into the nearest volcano before you procreate.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

speshl guy posted:

Just perused the thread, going to see a recruiter on Friday and had a couple questions I was hoping someone could clear up for me.

Can I negotiate possible law school compensation this early? The Navy website seems to indicate that there are two options; you can request to be transferred into JAG and get a JD from a school of your choice after 2 or 3 years of service or go directly into JAG from law school. Now I've heard JAG is highly competitive and only accepts around 4 candidates a year so I'm not sure if I want to risk going to law school first since I really can't pay it out of pocket.

I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and did 4 years of college swimming where I was a standout. How much leverage, if any, would I have over a recruiter in trying to negotiate law school compensation? Would the GI bill or yellow ribbon apply to me?

Probably worth mentioning that I have a not insignificant undergrad debt.

Good. loving. Luck.

I'm not speaking from experience at all- I just had a buddy of mine graduate from Fordham about 2 years ago, and he was just able to get a job finally about 3 months ago. That's with a law school degree and 2 years of peace corp, multiple languages, and internships that were insanely good. He was running around NYC throwing his resume at everything possible.

These are the kind of people who are applying for JAG slots, with degrees and poo poo. Nowadays there are firms out there hiring just graduated lawyers who passed the bar as paralegals, because there are so many of them willing to take that pay cut just to get a foot in somewhere. Having a 3.2 and being able to not drown probably won't set you too far outside the pack.

Honestly though, you would do best asking ActusRhesus

also don't loving enlist with a degree. commision if you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I'm acquaintanced with a couple of USAF JAGs, and unless something has changed in the last year or two basically

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Good. loving. Luck.

Take the fact that no branch is hurting for officers at the moment (in fact they're almost all kicking some out), and add that to a subset of officer that is in a job market that is ridiculously saturated in general. That said I'm pretty sure that all/most of the branches at least have programs where you can apply to get picked up for JAG prior to attending law school and then (assuming you don't flunk out) get commissioned as a JAG after graduating....but that said, those programs are generally even (quite a bit) more competitive than just becoming a JAG.

So yeah, good luck I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Honestly though, you would do best asking ActusRhesus

Also do this

• Locked thread