Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the house in question, looks like it's at least a tri or quad plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Nuke San Francisco

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

eric posted:

Nuke San Francisco

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

smythe you are a good poster but a terrible ik

lol you little bitch

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

smythe's challenges need more creativity tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

As a Millennial I posted:

lol you little bitch

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so apparently that's a 1br in bernal heights

a buddy of mine just moved there and that area's basically as far south as you can get and still be within the city limits

it's not v fancy at all but the hills keep the hobos and junkies away

that part of bernal heights, near cortland and on the saddle between the parks (also on the heights around the west side of the hill), is pretty upscale in that california granola sort of way. wine bars, popup restaurants, "casual" restaurants with gourmet pretensions, nice grocery store, eclectic shopping. not as yuppie as 24th street in noe valley or union street in cow hollow but not that far removed either. uphill from a gentrifying but still "vibrant" stretch of mission. $8000/month for an apartment is absurd, that's probably covering the mortgage on the entire building plus a very healthy margin, but it's a nice part of town

the city limits are actually another mile or two further south, there's a whole other massive neighborhood further down mission that the limits eventually slash through on some arbitrary line of latitude. it is not a very white neighborhood, though; cortland and glen park are the last outposts of white yuppie trendiness until you get way down the peninsula

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody who doesnt already have this information cares

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im sorry that was overly harsh. but yeah lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It owns and is good that all of the SF apologists have disappeared.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
looking forward to the first ms explorerbook

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

im sorry that was overly harsh. but yeah lol

please post more about your local bus system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rjmccall posted:

please post more about your local bus system

it's really good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

$8000 a month? What a bargain! *steps over homeless man making GBS threads in the street*

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

it's really good

good to hear

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

but in my economics 101 class I learned that rent control distorts the apartment market and actually makes things worse! *has rent raised by $6000/mo*
rent control eliminates the landlord's surplus and creates huge incentive for landlords to be total dickbags while at the same time tenants have a ton to lose and will fight any battle to stay.

that's not to say you can't tamper with the market, or that the government should never intervene between landlords and tenants. it's just that rent control is so extreme it makes otherwise normal, decent people into assholes

rent control was originally imposed as a one-year thing, an emergency measure. after 50 years there are some people feeling pretty burnt by it and some people feeling like they're about to be kicked out of their long-time houses. that's not good for anyone

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*spends 6 figs on rent*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beast of Bourbon posted:

bernal heights is not the place that should have $9000/month rent.

that's a gently caress-you rent. eviction by price increase

the landlord does not want the tenant to pay

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my last landlord raised my rent by 40% and i thought it was absolutely ridiculous

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a gently caress-you rent. eviction by price increase

the landlord does not want the tenant to pay

thanks for cracking the code, dan brown

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
on the upside it looks like that place will be available to rent after may 5th, so might as well give the landlord a call and schedule a showing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

I rent and had to shovel the snow myself, because my landlord is an rear end in a top hat.

hmm. I've always had to shovel where I rent. I thought that was normal.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if you don't live with your parents

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we bought a $400 top load washer when the one that came with the house broke. it's need suiting as heck.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
in Toronto rent control is based on property tax and inflation plus a few tenths of a percent

notabugwontfix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Moist von Lipwig posted:

in Toronto rent control is based on property tax and inflation plus a few tenths of a percent

notabugwontfix

that system probably actually works and doesn't turn everyone into a crazy rear end in a top hat`

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

It owns and is good that all of the SF apologists have disappeared.

fill the bay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so here's the story on the $8900 rent gently caress-you notice

Deb Follingstad posted:

So here is the short version of the story, 1st they transferred the title of the house to one of the 6 siblings, stripped the apartment downstairs (the one that Wayne lived in for close to 25 years before they bullied him out) took out the bathroom, and kitchen, put down some crappy carpet and now call it a "storage" space. By doing this it changed the title of the building to a "single family dwelling" which is not protected by rent control and raised my rent to $8900 a month with a $12,500 damage deposit a month. Obviously above market rate and obviously more than anyone would pay.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153190864139878

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

again with the deposit-per-month thing. is that some SF rental fuckery I've never heard of?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

again with the deposit-per-month thing. is that some SF rental fuckery I've never heard of?

you can't require a monthly deposit for simple rent, so the dude filling out the legal forms just plain hosed up.

this might even make the demand invalid at a whole

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/03/15/why-does-glenn-believe-the-people-of-silicon-valley-are-so-important/

“Silicon Valley is the epicenter of revolutionary change. Technological change, change in society, change in corporate America,” Glenn said. “These guys are real revolutionaries and they are plotting the course. I said the whole world would be up for grabs and I would rather be a part of those who are charting the course than those who are just going to live with whatever framework has been built.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlm0smuQKIs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

glenn beck is a big fan of Muse, that pretty much says it all

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:cry: buy gold :patriot: - glenn beck

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
all joking aside, glenn is actually quite reasonable and that link really brings a positive light to him.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmao at glenn beck praising the tech bubel.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
his offices are in dallas somewhere and he apparently made a bunch of promises on his show that any hardworking, patriotic american (read: white) can get a job because they're so great, so if they're really unemployed, and really need a job, well then come on down to his offices and he'll give them one!

so of course hundreds of people showed up demanding jobs and camped out in the parking lot for weeks waiting until he gave them jobs. he didn't.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

reminder that our pet rent here is $60/month and we were lucky to even find a rental that allowed pets at all much less one with pet rent under three digits monthly per animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that our pet rent here is $60/month and we were lucky to even find a rental that allowed pets at all much less one with pet rent under three digits monthly per animal

well its not like you couldn't afford it lmao

• Locked thread