Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Ah, my Big Other finally weighed in.

Thanks for the grain of recognition, but you're right. It's not worth it.

I hereby abdicate from posting in this thread except to make small talk and dumb jokes about Ishtar. :toxx:

Of course if I actually watch Ishtar and it turns out it's a Lacanian-Marxist masterpiece that means I'm hosed.

I'll give you 48 hours like that TV show the First 48.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

Ah, my Big Other finally weighed in.

Thanks for the grain of recognition, but you're right. It's not worth it.

I hereby abdicate from posting in this thread except to make small talk and dumb jokes about Ishtar. :toxx:

Of course if I actually watch Ishtar and it turns out it's a Lacanian-Marxist masterpiece that means I'm hosed.

Okay, I can roll with this. Again, I do feel really bad about this, because I'm not trying to silence anyone's opinions or tell them they shouldn't express them, (it's just, you know, no freedom from response.) So if that was the end result, I feel kinda responsible and not-good about it. But if that's the game you're gonna play, it's only fair I play a hand too.

I will not goad or harass Hbomberguy or tear into his HbomberguyOpinions anymore. :toxx: (I don't feel like I ever did the former to begin with, I only engaged when he started a something, but this will ensure that I never start doing it.) Needless to say, this is made (theoretically) a hell of a lot easier by his toxx, but I don't know what else I can do, so welp.

Hopefully we can get some more positivity up in this bitch now.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 15, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jay O posted:

Hopefully we can get some more positivity up in his bitch

LEAVE MY B*TCH ALONE

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

LEAVE MY B*TCH ALONE

Whoops, for want of a T. :eng99:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Your bitch!? When did she get to be your bitch!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PresidentBeard posted:

God being unknowable and not a singular being is the whole point of Kabbalah and the Trinity.
This is correct. The Orthodox believe it's impossible to understand God in concrete terms and concepts, and any language attempting to is inherently inadequate to the task, except in what he chooses to reveal to us. Which is why Jesus and the Holy Spirit are so important.

The belief in "God as an idea" is really about God being abstract, not about him not being real. If anything, the concept of God the Father as an old man in the sky is an artifact of Renaissance art and pagan depictions of Zeus/Jupiter. It's telling that in Orthodox iconography, the most widespread depiction of the whole Trinity is actually a symbolic one: the three angels that visited Abraham.

Okay, back to Ishtar.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

This is correct. The Orthodox believe it's impossible to understand God in concrete terms and concepts, and any language attempting to is inherently inadequate to the task, except in what he chooses to reveal to us. Which is why Jesus and the Holy Spirit are so important.

The belief in "God as an idea" is really about God being abstract, not about him not being real. If anything, the concept of God the Father as an old man in the sky is an artifact of Renaissance art and pagan depictions of Zeus/Jupiter. It's telling that in Orthodox iconography, the most widespread depiction of the whole Trinity is actually a symbolic one: the three angels that visited Abraham.

Okay, back to Ishtar.

Giving me flashbacks to that Lutheran satire about how it's basically impossible to say anything of substance about the Trinity without accidently confessing to some sort of ancient heresy. Although just because most forms of Christianity hold that God can't be properly described in human terms without inherently falling prey to misconceptions, doesn't mean that Christians think God is just a shared idea rather than something objectively real. (Although then we get into the whole "how are we defining reality" thing that would need someone with more philosophical chops than me to do justice to and probably doesn't belong in a thread about people on internet videos who talk about the pretty pictures.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 15, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Annointed posted:

Taking all bets on how long you'll last. I'll give a five months minutes tops, just to be nice.

More accurate.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anyhoo it's a new page and this IS the Internet Critic thread so I should put up that I posted the 2nd part of my big ol' GTA retrospective a few days back and people say it's really loving good and all that so you should watch it and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI4cU3gCD0I

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Anyhoo it's a new page and this IS the Internet Critic thread so I should put up that I posted the 2nd part of my big ol' GTA retrospective a few days back and people say it's really loving good and all that so you should watch it and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI4cU3gCD0I

Skipped it because I never really played GTA but I'm watching your Ninja Gaiden review and it's pretty good. You're one of the few people I've seen who realize you're supposed to go fast in that game. Like most people will say the enemy respawns are bugs but they're really just punishments for people trying to take their time and inch through the game. Next time I'm at work I'm going to listen to the rest of your stuff.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Well a lot of the time when something is dubbed into English, they tend to fill in gaps with random noises so that the lips fit. It's a combination of a) laziness because they don't want to edit, a b) space-saving on the DVD. They only need one copy of the video file, and just switch the language track. The end result is annoyance, mostly.

That makes a lot of sense!

High Warlord Zog posted:

On the other hand we did have authors like Robin Klein (who I never much cared for) and Morris Gleitzman was and continues to be awesome.

(I feel I should also mention Tim Winton's Lockie leonard Human Torpedo, which is just an amazing book in the "how the gently caress did something this sleazy and generally sordid get published and marketed to 10-year-olds" sense.)

I liked Robin Klein, Morris Gleitzman was often a little too cringeworthy embarrassing for me (which was the point, but I felt too much secondhand embarrassment reading those books), Gillian Rubinstein, Emily Rodda, Elizabeth Honey etc. And they were all great. (Although Gillian Rubinstein's Space Demons series wasn't exactly slice of life, more of a sort of...speculative fiction?) Oh, and also Phillip Gwynne. Deadly Unna/Nukkin Ya were really great books.
I never read Lockie Leonard, but I did read the Bugalugs Bum Thief! Hey-o!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hey sweet, no more hbomberguy and Jay O slapfights means this thread might actually become readable again.

Wait, people are arguing about religion in the Internet Critic thread. Never mind.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hey sweet, no more hbomberguy and Jay O slapfights means this thread might actually become readable again.

Wait, people are arguing about religion in the Internet Critic thread. Never mind.

But the slapfights where one of the most enjoyable things to read in this thread since there really isn't much activity in the thread.

And it's not really arguing, more 'people worship and interpret things in different ways.'.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Jim Sterling has released his April Fool's video a little early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhCoC1VBJz8

Meh, I snorted a couple of times.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hey! Guess who finally beat Mike Tyson in Punchout? Danny Sexbang, that's who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHK-Hk2BTCo

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just watch the Ishtar trailer over and over.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Hey! Guess who finally beat Mike Tyson in Punchout? Danny Sexbang, that's who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHK-Hk2BTCo

They really have to take Arin off the controller and give it to Danny more. I enjoy the hell out of GG whenever it's Danny enjoying something or beating something he's never tried before. His Punch-out and Shadow of the Colossus videos were easily among the best they've done because of it.

It also helps both of them are fantastic games but still.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! (It's been a long time coming but I've been rather busy with a new course of study.) I reviewed the Wachowskis' first film, Bound!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Asuron posted:

They really have to take Arin off the controller and give it to Danny more. I enjoy the hell out of GG whenever it's Danny enjoying something or beating something he's never tried before. His Punch-out and Shadow of the Colossus videos were easily among the best they've done because of it.

It also helps both of them are fantastic games but still.

Not to mention that Danny seems to just have a childlike wonder when he gets to play. You know, like he's legitimately enjoying himself instead of forcing himself to play and make jokes for money.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

New episode! (It's been a long time coming but I've been rather busy with a new course of study.) I reviewed the Wachowskis' first film, Bound!

After seeing Bound, I had this image in my head of the Wachowskis watching Neil Jordan's Mona Lisa and going "this story is totally being told from the wrong perspective."

Good video. :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Asuron posted:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

...What the gently caress happened to Mike? :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DStecks posted:

star wars episode 1

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Next they will be hailed as the true messengers of God!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DStecks posted:

Alcohol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DStecks posted:

Booze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPx9OA9sz7A&t=292s
His voice was weird too when he was younger

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I can' t believe these men control the fate of the Internet Critic thread.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Young Mike is a dead ringer for Robert Downey Jr.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

Wisconsin

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rich Evans sounds exactly the same

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Speaking of, RLM have done a new commentary track, this one for "Alien". I'm about an hour into it and its pretty good. Its nice to hear someone else championing the longer cut of "Alien 3".

EDIT: Oh wow, SFDebris is doing "Forbidden Planet" at the end of the month, which is kind of a perfect film for him. For those of you who haven't seen it, its basically a dry run for "Star Trek", and coupled with "The Day the Earth Stood Still", one of the first 'serious' speculative science fiction films made in Hollywood.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 15, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

Booze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPx9OA9sz7A&t=292s
His voice was weird too when he was younger

Thank you for posting this. If not for you, I would have lived my life unaware of how much Jay used to look like a young Matt Damon with goofy teeth.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zephirum posted:

Rich Evans sounds exactly the same

If anything his voice was slightly deeper when he was younger.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Being a borderline alcoholic from Milwaukee, Wisconsin as well I can verify this.

Robert Denby posted:

Speaking of, RLM have done a new commentary track, this one for "Alien". I'm about an hour into it and its pretty good. Its nice to hear someone else championing the longer cut of "Alien 3".

I've always stood up for the assembly cut of Alien 3. While not perfect it's still a pretty good film just a let down compared to one of the best horror films and then one of the best action films.

Robert Denby posted:

EDIT: Oh wow, SFDebris is doing "Forbidden Planet" at the end of the month, which is kind of a perfect film for him. For those of you who haven't seen it, its basically a dry run for "Star Trek", and coupled with "The Day the Earth Stood Still", one of the first 'serious' speculative science fiction films made in Hollywood.

Speaking of SFdebris I wonder if he'll do something for Terry Pratchett since he's mentioned being a big fan of his work in the past.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tracula posted:

Speaking of SFdebris I wonder if he'll do something for Terry Pratchett since he's mentioned being a big fan of his work in the past.

Well he has already done the tv adaptation of the Hogfather

Edit: forgot he passed away and thought this qas a general query. Still worth a watch he does talk a bit about Pratchetts work and its impact beyond the telly miniseries.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
And in the realm of less-successful serious sci-fi, I tackle a very cheap thriller about the then-new concept of “cyber space” featuring Jeffrey Combs. It’s Digital Prophet on Cheapskate Reviews.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
He also moved to Arizona for a bit iirc

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Oh my, baby RLM.

poparena posted:

After seeing Bound, I had this image in my head of the Wachowskis watching Neil Jordan's Mona Lisa and going "this story is totally being told from the wrong perspective."

Good video. :)

That was partly why they didn't want to make Corky a dude, because that story..is hardly new. It's not exactly a unique plot, but there's nothing wrong with doing "Basic movie plot...WITH LESBIANS/GAY GUYS/TRANSPEOPLE!" once in a while, because...after all, it's good to have some LGBT movies that aren't *just* about being LGBT. Bound is silly, but it strikes a pretty good balance between not ignoring the characters' LGBT status, but also giving the characters an actual storyline that doesn't necessarily just fall into LGBT cliches. Which is not to say that you can't make a good movie about coming out or facing homophobia or whatever, but one doesn't necessarily want all LGBT movies to be about that.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Infamous Sphere posted:

That was partly why they didn't want to make Corky a dude, because that story..is hardly new. It's not exactly a unique plot, but there's nothing wrong with doing "Basic movie plot...WITH LESBIANS/GAY GUYS/TRANSPEOPLE!" once in a while, because...after all, it's good to have some LGBT movies that aren't *just* about being LGBT. Bound is silly, but it strikes a pretty good balance between not ignoring the characters' LGBT status, but also giving the characters an actual storyline that doesn't necessarily just fall into LGBT cliches. Which is not to say that you can't make a good movie about coming out or facing homophobia or whatever, but one doesn't necessarily want all LGBT movies to be about that.

I think my favourite coming out movie is the Swedish film loving Amal by the same director as We Are the Best about the all girl punk band. But yeah, there are very few characters in movies who are just incidentally lgbt. Same problem with indigenous people in Australian cinema, they only exist to highlight racism/social issues which means we only ever have very shallow understandings of their characters.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
loving Amal is great, certainly the truest-to-life of my coming out experience. I'm not sure how I should read into it, but Lukas Moodyson is really good at writing well-rounded and realistic teenage girl characters. I loved We Are The Best for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
New Loose Canon:

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/loose-canon-the-wicked-witch-of-the-west/

• Locked thread