Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I'm planning on spending ~$600 for both of our rings. I could get his significantly cheaper, but I like the idea of matching wedding bands plus I want to get them engraved and from what I understand that is harder with certain materials(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge about connecting an engagement ring to the wedding band.
Here is a picture of my set.

The wedding band constantly turns and spins on my finger and it annoys me because I'd obviously like the diamonds lined up with my engagement band. My mom suggested I get the rings soldered (I'm sure there's an actual technical term) together so that they are one piece. But I'm worried that this could damage the rings. And I also enjoy having the option to wear only my band if I want. I'd be worried the rings would never be the same if I wanted it undone. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions about this?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions about this?

If you have a jeweler you like, that set seems like it would join up nicely and they'll def be able to advise if it's possible or practical. From what I've heard it's fairly simple when they match up right, but you need a jeweler to take a look at it. Like you said though, you can't pick which to wear and I don't think it's all that easy or even possible to undo.

Love the set, by the way :)

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

ilysespieces posted:

If you have a jeweler you like, that set seems like it would join up nicely and they'll def be able to advise if it's possible or practical...

Love the set, by the way :)

Thanks! A locally owned jeweler actually is the one who made my wedding band custom for me using my grandmother's plain white gold band. Specifically to match with my engagement ring. I was very very pleased with them and so I may go back there and ask them about it. Really the biggest hangup for me about it is that I'm fickle and would hate to do something irreversible to them and decide I don't like it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

Thanks! A locally owned jeweler actually is the one who made my wedding band custom for me using my grandmother's plain white gold band. Specifically to match with my engagement ring. I was very very pleased with them and so I may go back there and ask them about it. Really the biggest hangup for me about it is that I'm fickle and would hate to do something irreversible to them and decide I don't like it.

That's awesome, they'll for sure be the ones to talk to and tell you if it's reversible if you don't end up liking it. And I think they're even more lovely knowing why they look like that.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Okay, what's the deal with cash bar vs. open bar at weddings? This seems like a hugely polarizing subject from what I've read online. There's a lot of people saying it's tacky to not have an open bar the entire time, and if you can't afford it, you should invite less people. So grandma can't come to the wedding because I'm afraid I won't be able to afford free alcohol for everyone? I don't understand the mentality.

What we're considering is maybe an open bar for cocktail hour and full cash bar after that. The bartending service our venue uses does the open bar consumption based, and I really have no idea what it will cost for 100 guests over an hour with an open bar.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Our reception started at 5pm and we had an open bar until 7. Then after 7pm everyone had to pay for their own drinks. It saved us a lot of money, and people still got a couple free drinks. Sure the people who drank faster got more drinks, but there's no way to prevent that without handing out drink vouchers to people (which I've heard of but I think that's a bit ridiculous)

We considered having a dollar limit cut off but then the people who drank faster would possibly use up the tab before anyone else had a fair chance so we decided a time limit was best. And we made sure to announce early on that the bar would become cash at 7pm so everyone had a chance to get over there and get at least a couple drinks on us.

In the end it's up to you. If you want to have a cash bar the whole night that's your money and nobody who is at a free party getting free food should have any right to complain about having to buy their own beer. After going through all the wedding BS I sort of became a cynical rear end in a top hat when it came to trying to make everyone happy. It's just not going to happen with some people so gently caress em.

Hope that advice (and little rant) was helpful!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, it is definitely polarizing. Some people say a cash bar is completely unacceptable and that you should just have wine and beer if you can't afford an open bar. Others have no problem with it.

Some guests will definitely think a cash bar is cheap though.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

Some guests will definitely think a cash bar is cheap though.

I wouldn't say it's cheap but I also feel that if you're inviting people you shouldn't be asking them to pay for anything that night, no dollar dances, wishing wells, whatever else way to get cash from guests the day of that floats around the Internet. Though doing open for some time and cash for the rest or wine/beer open and cash for hard liquor is a better compromise than all or none.

It's also extremely regionally. Where I'm from you'd never hear the end of having a cash bar, it's expected that it'll be open for the entire event. It's a given. But from what I can tell, the opposite is true in other places, like in the UK cash bar is the norm by far.

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 14, 2015

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Buggiezor posted:

Try sizing beads! Perfect solution for me and jewelers have done it forever.
http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/nov98/1198fys1.html

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The #1 question we got from friends as soon as they got our save the dates was "will there be an open bar?" Family and close friends don't care obviously, but really a lot of people only bother to come to weddings for free food and alcohol.

If you're worried about the cost or people getting too hammered just do a beer/wine only bar, but I've never been to a wedding with a cash bar that people didn't loudly complain about.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
As the bride, I didn't hear anyone talking about my partial cash bar. But it could easily be that they complained behind my back. I'm really not sure. As I said before though, I didn't really care if people got upset though because they got free food and they're supposed to be there to support me, not to get hammered.
What I DID notice was that about 65-70% of my guests left after the bar became cash. Oh well, it just meant we didn't have to run them out at 9 when our time with the venue ran out.

Betazoid posted:

Try sizing beads! Perfect solution for me and jewelers have done it forever.
http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1998/nov98/1198fys1.html

I'll ask about those! thanks!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Okay, what's the deal with cash bar vs. open bar at weddings?

It's weird, because in the UK it is totally not an issue. Zero weddings I have attended have had an open bar. Generally some wine is provided for the tables, and bubbly for toasts but apart from that it's each to their own and it's very acceptable (although if you choose to have your wedding at a place that charges £12 for a glass of wine your guests will be annoyed!). Here weddings are not about treating guests to a free day of all you can eat/drink and if you can't afford to pay for that you shouldn't invite them, which is the feeling I get in a lot of US wedding talk.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Jokingly, I think there's a direct correlation between how upset someone is about a cash bar, and how wasted they were planning on getting. Realistically, it's kind of a drag driving five hours to a friend's wedding to find $7 beers are the cheapest drink available.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Okay, what's the deal with cash bar vs. open bar at weddings? This seems like a hugely polarizing subject from what I've read online. There's a lot of people saying it's tacky to not have an open bar the entire time, and if you can't afford it, you should invite less people. So grandma can't come to the wedding because I'm afraid I won't be able to afford free alcohol for everyone? I don't understand the mentality.

What we're considering is maybe an open bar for cocktail hour and full cash bar after that. The bartending service our venue uses does the open bar consumption based, and I really have no idea what it will cost for 100 guests over an hour with an open bar.

If you go to the knot.com you are LITERALLY the antichrist for not having an open bar. If you talk to my brides family having an open bar is the stupidest dumbest thing ever. Basically, do what you want/can afford. Most weddings Ive been to havent had an open bar, but it always kind of blows because liquor at weddings is always super pricy. We went to a wedding at a vineyard and their options were limited to handcrafted expensive fruit wines and really really really really terrible beer that was brewed by the winery who had very clearly never had a beer in their life.

We really wanted an open bar so we decided to get one. Her family refused to pay for the liquor, and we really wanted an open bar so we decided to just cover it ourselves. We wont have made our food and beverage minimum if we dont get an open bar!

Also heres a tip, if you have some kids at the wedding obv they aren't counted toward the open bar but also friends you know DONT drink you can just say are under 21 and typically the venue wont check.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the input guys. At this point, I think we're going to see what the budget looks like when we get closer to the wedding (it's not until late next year). Our wedding is almost all family and close family friends so I can't see them getting pissed or actually leaving because of a cash bar.

Also, the open bar with this place is consumption based. Is that how it usually works, or is there usually a flat fee or what?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Thanks for the input guys. At this point, I think we're going to see what the budget looks like when we get closer to the wedding (it's not until late next year). Our wedding is almost all family and close family friends so I can't see them getting pissed or actually leaving because of a cash bar.

Also, the open bar with this place is consumption based. Is that how it usually works, or is there usually a flat fee or what?

Consumption based will get you the absolute best deal. Most places just pay for time slots, but consumption based you will pay less 9/10 times. The only thing thats good about flat fee is you know exactly how much you'll have to save up.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We provided all of our own alcohol and kept whatever didn't get consumed, but that's not legal in some states and some caterers and venues won't let you do it either.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Consumption based will get you the absolute best deal. Most places just pay for time slots, but consumption based you will pay less 9/10 times. The only thing thats good about flat fee is you know exactly how much you'll have to save up.

I guess that's the sticking point, how do I know how much an open bar for x amount of time would cost me. I'm having nightmares about budgeting a certain amount and it being twice as much. And if they expect payment before services rendered, how do I pay them? Do I have to hang around after the reception and write a check? So many questions!

Edit: Yea, our venue requires you use a specific bartending service, no bringing your own booze.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We provided all of our own alcohol and kept whatever didn't get consumed, but that's not legal in some states and some caterers and venues won't let you do it either.

New York being one of them :argh:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, and some caterers will basically just lie and say they can't serve your alcohol for legal reasons, even in states that allow it.

Ours seems to be really cool about it. They had a full range of convenience bar packages where you provide the alcohol and they take care of the other junk. Like the lowest end was soda and ice for a couple of bucks, then next up was juices and sour mix, then the top end was alcohol like triple sec and vermouth. Which started to not make much sense since I think it was $7 a person for that, but still a neat idea.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

While we're on the subject, for people who CAN bring their own booze :siren:you need a special permit from the state to serve it:siren: which could take several weeks to over a month to get so for anyone planning to go that route add that to your to do list ASAP.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
We went to a friend's wedding last summer where they had a $2 bar as opposed to entirely open bar or cash bar. I'd never seen that before so I don't know how common an option that is, but it's certainly another idea to consider.
(ie all drinks were $2 for the guests, and they paid some sort of rate to keep drink costs lower for guests).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

$2 is basically at cost. I guess that would cut $800 or so off your budget, depending on a lot of variables of course.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry if this is asked regularly, but I didn't see it in the OP. Are there any good websites for budget-friendly weddings? The Knot seems to be aimed at brides looking for their perfect Disney princess wedding, and the groom sites all seem to be assuming every groom needs to be told not to show up to the altar in a football jersey. My fiancee and I haven't figured out a price point to aim for yet, but we know it will be in the four figures, not five. Preferably on the lower end, but I know things add up fast, especially when our two close families come up to nearly 100 people.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If you can get past the eye-roll inducing special snowflake twee poo poo offbeatbride has some practical stuff.

Our wedding was just featured on The Knot, but I only used it as a general outline and pretty much stopped using it once I got the ball rolling.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
-

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 18, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Call the courthouse, that's way too important to leave to the Internet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you can get past the eye-roll inducing special snowflake twee poo poo offbeatbride has some practical stuff.

Our wedding was just featured on The Knot, but I only used it as a general outline and pretty much stopped using it once I got the ball rolling.

Whoa really? You cant just say that and not link that poo poo.

Also yeah offbeat bride is good but sometimes painful to read.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I don't want to link it directly since it's got our real names in it and :tinfoil: if someone tries to internet detective my post history in the future but if you go to their Real Weddings section and filter by Winter and Barn it's the 5th one down, the one in Virginia.

If your wedding gets featured on The Knot they'll send you a really loving long questionnaire, not read any of it, then just make poo poo up for their writeup.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I don't want to link it directly since it's got our real names in it and :tinfoil: if someone tries to internet detective my post history in the future but if you go to their Real Weddings section and filter by Winter and Barn it's the 5th one down, the one in Virginia.

Totally doxxin ur wedding look out

E: What a nice wedding :). I like your centerpieces and the way you had people find their tables

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 16, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

While we're on the subject, for people who CAN bring their own booze :siren:you need a special permit from the state to serve it:siren: which could take several weeks to over a month to get so for anyone planning to go that route add that to your to do list ASAP.

This is actually great to know. I don't know what the law here in Texas is, but my sister's wedding in Fredericksburg had home brews and wine and I didn't think it'd be an issue. I had to screenshot your post and send it to my fiancé.

On another note, her parents are offering us a set amount to spend on the wedding as we please, so we're pretty stoked. It's not so much that we can just choose any venue we want, but it's enough that if we got married on the lake at a mutual friend's house, we could basically do whatever else we wanted.

Also. Where did some of y'all go on your honeymoon? We're looking for ideas, mainly in the US, not national parks, or the Carribean.

E: We aren't going to do too much with a registry anywhere because together we both have pretty much anything we'd think about asking for, and since I'm moving into her place on the lake, she's got what I don't. Some people suggested we do a dock fund or a honeymoon fund, and wanted to find out what the prevalence of that kind of stuff was.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 16, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Check your local booze laws, in VA we had to get an event permit and display it on site day-of. It was something like $50.

We're going to Hawaii for our honeymoon (we didn't do one right after the wedding), still US so we don't need to worry about passports and our phones and money will work no problem but it's still a nice vacation.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
I didn't see anyone say it, but make sure you know the open bottle policy if you plan to pay on consumption with the venue. Some places strictly charge on consumption and some charge by open bottle, so even 1 drink from that bottle of gin will end up costing you the full bottle of gin.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry if this is asked regularly, but I didn't see it in the OP. Are there any good websites for budget-friendly weddings? The Knot seems to be aimed at brides looking for their perfect Disney princess wedding, and the groom sites all seem to be assuming every groom needs to be told not to show up to the altar in a football jersey. My fiancee and I haven't figured out a price point to aim for yet, but we know it will be in the four figures, not five. Preferably on the lower end, but I know things add up fast, especially when our two close families come up to nearly 100 people.

I think A Practical Wedding might be helpful to you. It's a happy medium between The Knot and Offbeatbride.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/Budget-Weddings-For-Dummies-Schneider/dp/0470502096

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just had a tasting at one of the caterers we were looking at, and we're pretty sure we found the place. It was great!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

I think A Practical Wedding might be helpful to you. It's a happy medium between The Knot and Offbeatbride.

I'll add this to the OP tomorrow.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Thanks. There's some good information on offbeatbride, but it's kind of drowned out by the nerd culture, and the groom-ogling posts are full of terribly dressed people that don't know how textures, grooming, or shoulders work. I'll take a more thorough look at a practical wedding later, but even the first article on the front page seems like what I'm looking for. So far it seems like it's going to be a bitch and a half to fit that budget with that many guests. Not blaming anyone, but if my fiancee's family wasn't catholic, maybe there wouldn't be so many family members to invite. And that's just aunts, uncles, and first cousins, not extended family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Here's an oddly specific question:

Does anyone know if you can use a marriage license issued by the place you live (in our case, Los Angeles County) to license a wedding performed in a place you don't live (San Bernadino County, right next door)? It's all under the same marriage code jurisdiction so I'd hope the answer is yes but if not we need to make a long drive out to San Bernadino County to get a goddamn license to fix my screw up :(.

You can, and we did exactly that. We got our licensed issued in LA County and were married in San Bernardino County.