Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There was a guy who had a hilarious red title because he was going on and on about the color pie and why green should never have flying.

Every time i read color pie I think "lisa needs braces."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

There was a guy who had a hilarious red title because he was going on and on about the color pie and why green should never have flying.

Every time i read color pie I think "lisa needs braces."
Was it Mark Rosewater?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lancelot posted:

Was it Mark Rosewater?

No but his disciples are everywhere

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Out of curiosity, who did you make so angry that you have a Magic-related red custom title? What goon gets that angry about conversations about reprints of cardboard wizard poker cards?

Come on man, this entire hobby is built on people with way too much money to spend on frivolous things.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lancelot posted:

Out of curiosity, who did you make so angry that you have a Magic-related red custom title? What goon gets that angry about conversations about reprints of cardboard wizard poker cards?

Anger is relative, and you don't have to be that angry at someone to buy them some red text on the Something Awful internet forums.

There have been some times when I thought about buying a custom title for some of the more persistent cardboard libertarians, but that money would probably be better spent on 1/30th of an Underground Sea. :iamafag:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lancelot posted:

People in this thread will get mad at every conceivable stimulus, so the things that make people maddest are just the things that come up with any regularity. My assumption is that JerryLee's sin was just talking about it more than once.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am surprised it was for the reserve list and not complaining about good mana in standard

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm always kinda baffled people browse with titles at all. I just turn everything off. Pure textual discourse.

JerryLee's title is a fail anyway since it should be a picture of a drat ugly Shadowmoor Kithkin.

rabidsquid posted:

i am surprised it was for the reserve list and not complaining about good mana in standard
good mana == goon mada??

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

I always thought that was charming. "In my day we had to walk fifteen miles through Mogg Hollows, uphill both ways, just to cast Rampant Growth into Stone Rain and we liked it!" :corsair:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Count Bleck posted:

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

"So the three on my creatures get countered and I take 9 and go down to 11?"

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

Man oh man, I really need to get cracking on putting this deck together. That sounds awesome.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Serperoth posted:

Mike long was actually a pretty good player, even without the cheating, it's just that a lot of people remember him for the cheating that it gives him a bad rep.

Oh no, I wasn't be sarcastic, he should be there. Dude was hype with that ProsBloom deck.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alaan posted:

Magic Übermensch Gfab continues his rein of terror over the GP circuit. Another top 8, this time in limited so I got to see him playing something other than Sultai.
I'm sure whoever sits across from him is filled with unbridled horror. :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

"So the three on my creatures get countered and I take 9 and go down to 11?"

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

Yesterday at an event I'm at 6, my burn opponent is at 7. I have lethal on the board for my next turn.

His play is:
Float 2, fire blast you
I force pitching brainstorm
He pyroblasts force
I force pitching daze on the firestorm again
He goes float 2 (3 total) fireblast again
I go divert fireblast to you?

He marks it down on his sheet.
" I have you at 3 and me at 4 now?" "Yeah". "My turn?" "Yeah"

Untap, win, explain how divert works. I had hit him with divert in game 2 as well but he had been tapped out then so when I explained the card I guess he ignored the pay 2 part and just assumed that if I was playing divert it was a good play (it was my only play).

I didn't feel bad at all. Everyone makes mistakes and punts. You are punting in every game you play, it just isn't always obvious and the margins may be smaller.

Kid still got to crush a lot of dreams and make it into top 8 with me too so it worked out for him in the end.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm sure whoever sits across from him is filled with unbridled horror. :v:

Neigh, more like surprise. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

CountFosco posted:

Man oh man, I really need to get cracking on putting this deck together. That sounds awesome.

I really love Merfolk, its an aggro deck that can also play control or tempo. Its a really flexible deck and I always feel like if I lose it was either because I made a mistake, be it side boarding, mulliganning wrong, or forgetting poo poo.

Like aether vial triggers, word of advice, until you constantly remember to add your charge counters to vial on upkeep, put a die on top of your deck so you remember to tick it up. Missed vial triggers have cost me games a lot of times and I've learned my mistake.

Edit: Also, if you find yourself staring down Affinity, gird your loins and prepare for a smackdown of the highest calibur.

It's definitely not the best matchup, but it isn't a bye for them anymore, no sir.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 16, 2015

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Sweet match between Mono Red and Jeskai Aggro on the Open stream. So close by the mono red player, but at the same time navigated so well. Incredible match!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Every time someone on here talks about Merfolk I want to build it, but I'm sworn to my one true tribal love of Goblins and don't play enough Modern to justify buying into the deck. I'm already trying to pick up a Cavern of Souls playset for Legacy so maybe after I get those?

Also I had a fever dream at work the other day and came up with this Modern Slivers deck which is kind of like Merfolk I think? A more narrow-minded Merfolk that can also pretend to be Infect.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

G/W Slivers is actually pretty decent in Pauper if you have MTGO and want to get your competitive Slivers on.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has it been said what happens if an exploit creature comes in and is killed in response to it's trigger. "May sac a creature" goes on the stack, but won't this prevent the second trigger for doing so?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has it been said what happens if an exploit creature comes in and is killed in response to it's trigger. "May sac a creature" goes on the stack, but won't this prevent the second trigger for doing so?

"May sac" goes on the stack. Kill spell goes on the stack, resolves. If the player does sac something, then the creature isn't around for the "When Dudeman exploits a creature" trigger.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Sweet match between Mono Red and Jeskai Aggro on the Open stream. So close by the mono red player, but at the same time navigated so well. Incredible match!

That guy played Mono-R better than I've seen anyone play the deck in recent memory. So many smart plays, it was nuts.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

watching the T8 draft for the GP. Yuuya Watanabe's deck is looking totally insane.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Alaan posted:

watching the T8 draft for the GP. Yuuya Watanabe's deck is looking totally insane.

What'd he open in the FRF pack?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

What'd he open in the FRF pack?

Daghatar. Also Bathe in Dragonfire, triple Harsh Sustenance, War Flare, 4th pick valorous stance, 2nd pick lightform.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Alaan posted:

Daghatar. Also Bathe in Dragonfire, triple Harsh Sustenance, War Flare.

Oh man.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

On the other end Gfab forced Sultai and ate it hard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Attorney at Funk posted:

People in this thread will get mad at every conceivable stimulus, so the things that make people maddest are just the things that come up with any regularity. My assumption is that JerryLee's sin was just talking about it more than once.

I can't remember who it was that had a custom title branding them a "huge human being" due to their opinion on fetchlands. I'm also surprised there aren't more custom titles thrown on people who say some card isn't that good, since telling someone their pet card sucks is a huge trigger for angry freak-outs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you know how many red decks you could build for the cost of one custom title. Don't be crazy man

edit: i like to think this thread wouldn't generate a lot of those. there are a lot of arguments but i don't think it's that deadly serious, at least i hope not.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If there is any justice in the world Yuuya is going to CRUSH. This is the craziest draft deck I have ever seen. He could build two mardu decks I think and they'd both be ok.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't remember who it was that had a custom title branding them a "huge human being" due to their opinion on fetchlands. I'm also surprised there aren't more custom titles thrown on people who say some card isn't that good, since telling someone their pet card sucks is a huge trigger for angry freak-outs.

Look if you want a title just say so.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Alaan posted:

If there is any justice in the world Yuuya is going to CRUSH. This is the craziest draft deck I have ever seen. He could build two mardu decks I think and they'd both be ok.

There was that dude earlier who had the Counters Matter deck with 2 copies of High Sentinels of Arashin. Did he end up winning?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Devor posted:

There was that dude earlier who had the Counters Matter deck with 2 copies of High Sentinels of Arashin. Did he end up winning?

No idea. I didn't watch the GP until round 14, skipped 15 for quarters of the open T8, then back for the T8 draft of the GP.

Edit: oh my god Andrew Cuneo. Raided Howl of the Horde on Tormenting Voice for 6 cards. He has a Jeskai Barricade in hand to bounce his Warden of the Eye to get Howl back.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 16, 2015

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I love how SCC points a spotlight directly at the cards making them look like solid white blocks...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Cuneo was streaming on I think Thursday and he pulled the Tormenting Howl play, and I think everyone in the chat had been telling him to cut Howl from his deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone also got one for crying about using foreign language cards, I thought. It might have been the same person, actually - I think the foreign card thing started because he supposedly couldn't tell the difference between Tarns and Steam Vents or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AceClown posted:

I love how SCC points a spotlight directly at the cards making them look like solid white blocks...

I watch for the glare on the cards. Why do you watch?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Let me not kill your Ugin and lose the game. Cool play.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha god drat. Raided Howl of the Horde Jeskai CHarm for 12 to knock Yuuya out of the tourney.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Howl of the Horde pretty good????

He used it last game on Tormenting Voice to draw 6 for 2+discard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I mean there is a reason Cuneo is part of team Pantheon. He's pretty good about trying out stuff that would otherwise be overlooked. He also invented the Elixir decks everyone hated.

• Locked thread