Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can anyone link me to an exploration/dig at the seawall of White Point Garden in image 2? Finding a lot of clues that its there, but cant seem to find any trip reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Good news - looks like the snow is melting here. Going to pick it up with the DCR soon and see if we can nail down some time in April.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, I see how verse 11/image 3 clearly wants you to dig somewhere near the shore on Lost Colony by the theater... but can anyone see an indication of where? It would have to be in the image, but all I can see on the shore is sand and forest.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Question: Did Preiss ever go on record stating "Hey, my book is RIFE with errors?"

Because that would help a lot.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is it me or is Q4T and tweleve.org completely jacked up? Only the secret works for Q4t, every other page is an error. And I can't even reg at tweleve because error

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is it me or is Q4T and tweleve.org completely jacked up? Only the secret works for Q4t, every other page is an error. And I can't even reg at tweleve because error

Were getting too close. Illuminati is onto us.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
All this hunt needs is a guy with lots of money, lots of time on his hands, and a good eye.

Methinks we'll have some trouble checking off need #1...

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Anyone in Montreal still watching this thread?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Merlot Brougham posted:

Anyone in Montreal still watching this thread?
hey

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just catching up on the last 4 or so months of posts in this thread. has anyone already commented that Never Been Banned's last post was in the benzos thread in TCC lol

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
NBBs theory just didn't jive with how I believe these puzzles are solved in multiple different ways. It was a little too out there, and also required giving up one of the most confirmed verse/city/park area matches we have. So, rough.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I just stumbled on this thread, and I apologize if this has been said, but when I saw the 12th cask's clues, before I read the theories I too felt that Fort Wadsworth might be important. The Grey Giant would be the bridge, the slender path the narrows. The Isle of B seems to be referencing Liberty island (others have discussed this possibility), and If you were to stand in front of Battery Weed it appears from pictures that around the front of it would put the lighthouse there in profile consistent with the image clue, as well as the boxy arch:

Addtionally, there is a V split from there that may match the "From the middle of one branch - Of the v" passage.

As I am on the other side of the continent from there, this one passage bugs me, as it seems like a very obvious clue:

"Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native"

The National Memorial to the North American Indian was supposed to be built where fort thompkins is today, so while the original groundbreaking placque is gone, there may be other signs around about it.

"Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil"

This to me sounds like the foundation of a building, or artificial land (the abandoned pier close to the end of dock road fits this pretty well)

I am bothered by the 4 drops on the bottom, as the gem is quite strongly indicating which drop has the cask, and while Staten and Rhode islands are indeed islands, they are huge compared to Governor, Ellis and Liberty; however, no obvious 4th candidate. The way the dress is drawn is also mirrored, which makes this even worse.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Coolwhoami, Its been awhile since I've seen a cool idea such as this. That Natives link is something to ponder as well as the count of 3 or 4 drops. Although I still prefer San Juan Island in WA for image 12 and the drops are more of a link to verse 9 and the concept of navigating a ship using Cattle Point's radio beacon in total darkness of fog, defined as a suspension of tiny droplets of water in air, I'm jumping in to post about my new thoughts on verse 10.

"In summer"
"In rhapsodic man's soil"

These lines seem to link to Gershwin's popular compositions Summertime and Rhapsody in Blue. I think there's some kind of tricky riddle here and not simply a geographic link to NY. I'm not settled on anything yet. I like that rhapsody and soil are both words that would be commonly associated with the word 'composition'. Maybe that's the key idea. Also, I think the summertime reference helps establish a connection to a place that is closed in the off season. Of course I'm still considering Stanley Park,Vancouver B.C. using image 9, since it's typically and has upon many decades been closed for winter season (December to April or May).

Maybe Preiss is using the composition idea as a focus is on the ground near the giant checkerboards which are an equal mixture or "compost" of black and white squares.

E: I had previously developed the idea that image 9/verse 10 used "in the shadow" meant search for a sheltered area. The shelter at the giant checkerboards is a lot like a portico or porch. Maybe the Gershwin connection is Preiss riffing on the the word 'porch' and coming up with 'porch' sounds like Porgy. Summertime is from the opera Porgy and Bess.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
After thinking it over last night, I do find that Ellis Island fits the clues much more strongly. There are some problems with narrowing it there though, as there have been some major restoration projects that have been done since these casks were buried. For example, I was initially inclined to say it might be near the wall of honour, but that was not unveiled until 1990, thus not relevant. I am also wondering if the 4 lower squares in the image (the red outlined rectangle, the towers, the head and the clock) are supposed to correspond to each drop below, which makes me wonder if the 4th island might be referring to liberty state park, because it was still undergoing reclamation at the time the casks were buried and may have had a small island there at the time.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I had briefly arrived at that place (Ft Wadsworth) but, lost steam when I couldn't fit certain things and then just shelved it and stuck to the Milwaukee puzzle. That place looks so badass though. I want to go visit there.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can we work on finding Forrest Fenn's treasure?

Forrest Fenn is an eccentric antique dealer. In March, 2013, he revealed that he hid a brass box containing $1 million - $3 million worth of treasure "Somewhere in the Mountains North of Sante Fe."

He published a book, "The Thrill of the Chase." Fenn claims that the auto-biographical pictures in it subtly hint at its location, but the real meat is in "nine clues" hidden within this poem:

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Fenn since revealed four more clues:

- The Treasure is buried above $5,000 feet

- The treasure is not buried in a graveyard

- The treasure is not buried in a location associated with a structure.

-The treasure is not buried in Utah or Idaho

He later published a follow up book with a map, narrowing the location down to the highlighted area:

Links ton his books, proceeds from the sale go to cancer research:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrill-Chase-Memoir-Forrest-Fenn/dp/0967091780/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426443451&sr=8-5&keywords=fenn%27s+treasure
http://www.amazon.com/too-far-walk-Forrest-Fenn/dp/0967091799/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426443483&sr=8-2&keywords=forrest+fenn

Note that while several people claim that the treasure has been found, nobody has submitted any proof.

I've been trying to work on it on other discussion boards, but most people on those boards are tight lipped, except to say "checked my hotspot this weekend, no luck."

I was hoping this thread could be more forthcoming about ideas.

Fenn has said the key is to start at the beginning , "Where warm waters halt." What could that mean?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's gotta be a urinal. Because pee is sometimes referred to as passing water and it's warm when it comes out but not for long.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Drunk Nerds posted:

Fenn has said the key is to start at the beginning , "Where warm waters halt." What could that mean?
Probably some completely arbitrary point of connection between bodies of water that you'll never loving find.

Any river that he thinks is warm that empties into any lake (or maybe even smaller) would do it :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's probably a reference to the Continental Divide.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Can we start a separate thread for this and get Urban Smurf to be the curator please

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hi, just dropping by to remind everyone still doing this that you are all completely insane and most of the posts in this thread are only a small step above TimeCube level hypotheses. Welp, c'ya.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi, just dropping by to remind everyone still doing this that you are all completely insane and most of the posts in this thread are only a small step above TimeCube level hypotheses. Welp, c'ya.

Please don't threadshit. We're very hard at work and one of us is even going to dig sometime between a month and ten years from now.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Olewithmilk posted:

So is Gnarly going to probate this thread making GBS threads like he did me?

And on topic: is there any threads outside of SA about that million dollars the old man hid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tony Homo posted:

And on topic: is there any threads outside of SA about that million dollars the old man hid?

No, I'll just probate you for being whiny and bad in general.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Tony Homo posted:

fight the power

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

being white rules posted:

fight the power

gently caress off Cole, don't post here again

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Why does the hand have cracked/jagged nails?

Is it an effort to represent a visual trope for a hand rising up from a grave?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
which one is that hand from? I've never noticed that before

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the year is 2015, the goons are still on the hunt for treasure

xie
Jul 29, 2004

New Orleans, the only one without a humanoid figure in it. Roanoke has the suit of armor, debateable if that's the same type or not.

I'd guess that the hand/nails are important in some way, and for once while I don't think that's anything concrete, it's not completely insane. New Orleans has many famous aboveground cemetaries. *shrug* It's certainly possible, but it really doesn't tell you anything even if (gasp) Urban Smurf is right about this one.

I still bet money that somewhere in NOLA there's a statue making the exact same hand positioning though. We have statue matches in all of the solved puzzles and I have a ~crap ton~ of this type of matching done in Boston. The gypsy woman is just a composite of 3-4 other statues that are visible on the treasure path, and both of her hands are male hands from two different statues.

I have a book on order from Harvard library that contains pretty much all of the obscure as gently caress statues in NOLA but haven't had time to collect it. Admittedly this hunt only holds my attention for bursts of time because it's so frustrating. If my Boston dig is unsuccessful I'll obviously still be around in this thread and posting, but don't expect any other theories or dig ops from me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Why does the hand have cracked/jagged nails?

Is it an effort to represent a visual trope for a hand rising up from a grave?

That's also some pretty unnatural wrinkling on the hand.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I'm thinking the time on Image 7's grandfather clock tells us two things to get us started on the French themed puzzle: XII = Louis XII, and the seconds hand almost reaching the III is actually a shorthand for military time "almost fifteen-hundred" or 1499, the year Louis XII invaded Milan, Italy. I think holding some focus to this bit of history between France and Italy is a significant piece of this puzzle.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

That's also some pretty unnatural wrinkling on the hand.

I think it's the ruffling on the sleeve of the Louis Armstrong statue:

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

I think it's the ruffling on the sleeve of the Louis Armstrong statue:

I think landscape improvements in Armstrong Park have wiped away the evidence of any solutions that would've been in the immediate vicinity of his statue. I don't see any fit for hand wrinkles to the suit. Since I use to have a bad habit of matching anything to everything, I don't blame you for trying. Anymore, I'm resolved to look for matches only when they fit a suggested concept such as how I limited my comparision of the hem or edge of a sleeve to the hem pattern of Morazan's pants, which goes along with making a costume. Now suppose your concept is primarily about wrinkles, then comparing skin to fabric or tree shapes is fair game.

I'm grooming this theory about Louis XII invading Lombardy. He took the city of Milan next to Bergamo. This proximity to Bergamo caught my attention based on a suspicion I have about the verse being dyslexic. We know the finder of the Cleveland cask would've dug at the correct spot if the verse just said "From left to right" instead of "From right to left", which led them to exhaustively digging the wrong side of the plot and causing them hours of extra work. I previously proposed that "In the middle of twenty-one" was a reference marker to a rooftop of Tomb No.21, which can be seen from outside the cemetery. If you treat this puzzle as if it had a kindergartner's involvement, since I'm estimating the maturity of the Fair Folk to be at that level, then making a reference to 21 may as well be a reference to 12. I know this having volunteered many hours helping Kindergartners with math. The number reversals just go with the territory. So I took a look at the listing for Tomb's by number and discovered No. 12 belonged to the Bergamini family, which is basically a farmer family name from the Bergamo area of Italy. I noticed the tomb had a unique looking statue of a weeping child, which was distinctly visible from outside the cemetery wall. I like the way things are fitting together, but the visuals still look like a longshot. Here's my latest image comparisons,

The blue section is Basin St. which ends at Canal St. and at Orleans Ave. There are only three statues along Basin, all of which are standing. The cemetery is just adjacent to Francisco Morazan's statue, a gift to New Orleans from Honduras in Central America. I think this statue is the solution to the place where namesakes meet, since North and South Americas can be thought of as meeting in the middle that is Central America. The Americas are namesakes of Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci.

Here is Morazan to the right and an almost straight on view of the Bergamini tomb in the distance beyond the wall,

Closer,

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

How can a puzzle be dyslexic?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Kingnothing posted:

How can a puzzle be dyslexic?

I can be more clear on that. By dyslexic, I mean there are reversals to trip us up. To understand this perfectly, you have to walk through the Cleveland solution carefully and know that the photograph that shows those casque finders poised with the shovel at the 10th stone "from right to left" makes sense when standing on the side of the wall which has the two columns. That is not the same side of the wall as the plot with the casque. I confirmed this with the finder directly.

Priess knew what he was doing. He wanted it to be understood that there would be reversals, not always, but on occasion, in verse or image just to trip people up and maintain the continuity of the impish Fair Folk. All I'm saying is when someone gets close to finding a location, they better be prepared to make an adjustment or two whenever there's options like swapping the left with the right.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the treasure is not real, give up your dreams

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

I can be more clear on that. By dyslexic, I mean there are reversals to trip us up. To understand this perfectly, you have to walk through the Cleveland solution carefully and know that the photograph that shows those casque finders poised with the shovel at the 10th stone "from right to left" makes sense when standing on the side of the wall which has the two columns. That is not the same side of the wall as the plot with the casque. I confirmed this with the finder directly.

Priess knew what he was doing. He wanted it to be understood that there would be reversals, not always, but on occasion, in verse or image just to trip people up and maintain the continuity of the impish Fair Folk. All I'm saying is when someone gets close to finding a location, they better be prepared to make an adjustment or two whenever there's options like swapping the left with the right.

How is a puzzle easy, or even possible when there are intermittent reversed clues? It would make no sense to reverse only some stuff, with no indication as to which are. It makes the puzzle borderline impossible. Those solvers probably just missed something important.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kingnothing posted:

How is a puzzle easy, or even possible when there are intermittent reversed clues? It would make no sense to reverse only some stuff, with no indication as to which are. It makes the puzzle borderline impossible. Those solvers probably just missed something important.

The puzzles are bad. That's why only 2 of them were solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

BigFactory posted:

The puzzles are bad. That's why only 2 of them were solved.

That may be true or the puzzles are too good. Hopefully we will know better after xie or someone recovers a pisspot.

Kingofnothing, I disagree, the puzzles arent borderline impossible, we just have to entertain the option of reversal as we close in on a solution. Like I said earlier, I was heavily focused on Tomb No. 21 and tried to force fit things into some pattern having to do with that family name of "Rouelle", a French word for "round". I would've been fine with that but then I backed off the throttle of my own certainty and thought to entertain the perspective of the Fair Folk and how Preiss might attempt to represent their trickery in terms of a childish nature.