Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Schizotek posted:

So uh... What brings a French woman to NW China? Besides an obsession with my terrifying demon baby?

That event character is always French culture, I remember getting that when I did a game as the Saffarids and got a Spawn of Shaitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AdjectiveNoun posted:

That event character is always French culture, I remember getting that when I did a game as the Saffarids and got a Spawn of Shaitan.

Yeah, in a Charlemagne start A French character arrived in my court. Which was pretty funny considering there were no other French people in the world at that time.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I need a nice, stable succession because I'm trying to get Iron Crown and I've got 350 years on the clock for that. My choices seem to be Elective, where I run the risk of a vassal getting my title (which has happened to me and ended the game), and Ultmegeniture, where I end up playing a lot of 2-year-olds and I can't prevent people from revolting (which has happened to me and ended the game). What do you guys recommend?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

dj_clawson posted:

I need a nice, stable succession because I'm trying to get Iron Crown and I've got 350 years on the clock for that. My choices seem to be Elective, where I run the risk of a vassal getting my title (which has happened to me and ended the game), and Ultmegeniture, where I end up playing a lot of 2-year-olds and I can't prevent people from revolting (which has happened to me and ended the game). What do you guys recommend?

Tanistry if you can get it. Seniority's not bad, either, and helps concentrate titles for redistribution, but you'll suffer from a lot of short reign modifiers.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Tanistry if you can get it. Seniority's not bad, either, and helps concentrate titles for redistribution, but you'll suffer from a lot of short reign modifiers.

I'm the King of Lombardy, Tanistry is not listed as an option. I've been burned a lot by Seniority, playing a bunch of old guys.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dj_clawson posted:

I'm the King of Lombardy, Tanistry is not listed as an option. I've been burned a lot by Seniority, playing a bunch of old guys.

Stab more people

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

verbal enema posted:

Stab more people

This is the answer to most CK2 problems.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd go primo or ultimo dj_clawson. Best way to make sure your heir is Lombard.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can anyone explain why the south slavic pagans have feudalism and the ones in Avaria and to the north don't?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
This game makes me feel like realize that I'm some kind of horrible loving monster.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Preechr posted:

This game makes me feel like realize that I'm some kind of horrible loving monster.

I think it's just period appropriate. It's more that it makes you realize why everyone hated the nobility. Being a horrible person was basically a job requirement.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's just period appropriate. It's more that it makes you realize why everyone hated the nobility. Being a horrible person was basically a job requirement.

As a Viking, I raided Constantinople and managed to kidnap the Emperor's young daughters and his one male heir. I mentored his oldest daughter until she was 16, forced her into concubinage, converted her to my religion at swordpoint(axeblade?), married her, then executed her remaining siblings. She is now the heir of the Empire and pregnant with the future Emperor. The current Emperor is now allied with me somehow and hates the poo poo out of me.

e: gently caress, I just realized I've basically been playing as Aatrek Nooooosson the Beguiler.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 15, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I'd go primo or ultimo dj_clawson. Best way to make sure your heir is Lombard.

I might change it back. Right now it's Elective, but I have three king titles and no ability to form an empire, and those are gonna get split up if I don't figure out what to conquer to get that empire. Francia has like, all of Western Europe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Preechr posted:

As a Viking, I raided Constantinople and managed to kidnap the Emperor's young daughters and his one male heir. I mentored his oldest daughter until she was 16, forced her into concubinage, converted her to my religion at swordpoint(axeblade?), married her, then executed her remaining siblings. She is now the heir of the Empire and pregnant with the future Emperor. The current Emperor is now allied with me somehow and hates the poo poo out of me.

e: gently caress, I just realized I've basically been playing as Aatrek Nooooosson the Beguiler.

You're allied with the Byzantine Emperor because he's your father-in-law.

Also you can't be playing as Aatrek because you waited until she was 16.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Preechr posted:

If you actually want the Empire for yourself you have to ensure that the son is your heir. Unless you inherit your original title and become the son first, you probably would have been better off leaving one of the Byzantine Emperor's sons around for you to war against for the Empire.

If your son inherits the Byzantine Empire first, he's likely to lose it in a faction war since he'll have no support inside his realm, and the AI is bad at calling you in on time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Edison was a dick posted:

If your son inherits the Byzantine Empire first, he's likely to lose it in a faction war since he'll have no support inside his realm, and the AI is bad at calling you in on time.

If you're paying attention you can call yourself in ("Offer to Join War"), can't you?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Preechr posted:

I mentored his oldest daughter until she was 16,

I think they call it "grooming".

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Crusader CEOs: set in the dark ages from 2769 to 3554, play as a feudal corporate officer in a post apocalyptic scenario where governments have been completely supplanted by a corporate feudal system.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

When it works, the Game of Thrones mod is great!

My current lord. This is 100 years after the Clash of Kings scenario

When the War of the Five Kings ended, Robb remained King in the North. Even after losing the title King when Robb died, the Starks remained independent of the Throne. The wars that followed caused the death of many Starks, the overthrow of a Stark lord in the Vale, and a declaration of a Kingdom of the Trident.

The Queen. Her father went to war against his own father, in a war to take the Throne by force. Upon capturing King's Landing he had his father executed. He was assassinated in less than a year.

The last Targaryen. Matri-married to my brother. I'm going to breed them back and put them on the Throne.

e: I hope all this isn't too annoying

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Swedish Horror posted:

When it works, the Game of Thrones mod is great!

e: I hope all this isn't too annoying

Nope, these kind of stories are what's great about CK2. And it's always nice to see some GoT pics, that has become very rare for some reason.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Crusader CEOs: set in the dark ages from 2769 to 3554, play as a feudal corporate officer in a post apocalyptic scenario where governments have been completely supplanted by a corporate feudal system.

"He wants to take you to dinner. At Taco Bell."

e: "The McDonalds send their regards."

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're paying attention you can call yourself in ("Offer to Join War"), can't you?

Yes, but I experienced him losing the war while waiting for him to get the message, and the AI may choose to capitulate to the faction's demands and you won't even get an opportunity to join in the war.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Edison was a dick posted:

Yes, but I experienced him losing the war while waiting for him to get the message, and the AI may choose to capitulate to the faction's demands and you won't even get an opportunity to join in the war.
They seem to do this like three quarters of the time when I get a kingdom for a kinsman. :mad:

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Reforming Paganism is a pain in the rear end.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A few months ago, one of the devs was posting here about his work on some kind of Althing project that would give the norse papacy dynamics. I haven't checked this thread since like January, so what ever came of that?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

A few months ago, one of the devs was posting here about his work on some kind of Althing project that would give the norse papacy dynamics. I haven't checked this thread since like January, so what ever came of that?

Not much, yet. You can see it in action in Groovy's Playing With Myself LP.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dareon posted:

"He wants to take you to dinner. At Taco Bell."

e: "The McDonalds send their regards."

You'll be eating at Pizza Hut internationally.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think I'll celebrate with... Mountain Dew!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I just can't wait to see this DLC Groogy's been working on for so long.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

crises of the fourteenth century or get out

the papacy mechanics will never be complete until they can simulate the great schism

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

crises of the fourteenth century or get out

the papacy mechanics will never be complete until they can simulate the great schism

Both Schisms. :colbert:

EDIT: gently caress that, all the Schisms. :getin:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

So what is the master secret to getting Legendary Wisdom? Because I've had, I don't know, at least 10 kings with Stewardship focus and I've never gotten it. And they all die horribly depressed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

They seem to do this like three quarters of the time when I get a kingdom for a kinsman. :mad:

Seriously, I don't even bother anymore unless I'm an emperor and will get him as a vassal.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Right, this his been sat in my Steam inventory for about a year so having bounced off it twice I'm going to be King Bleddyn of Powys and just try to putter along for a bit.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Is there any way to dissolve a merchant republic if you're their king? I hate the -30 "wrong government type" opinion modifier. I noticed that Venice, which was independent and a republic, went feudal when the Byzantine Emperor claimed the island.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Gain control of it somehow, then grant it to a landed baron, who should change the main holding to a barony.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My daughter was betrothed to the heir of Galicia, then at 13 decided she wanted to be a nun, and when I told her no she died of stress. :saddowns: This game.

This was all part of my Habsburg/HRE game, in which my goal is to spread my dynasty to every throne in Europe I can get them on. At this point there's hundreds of Habsburgs scattered across Europe, with most of them still within the empire (including an all-Habsburg Viceroyalty of Jerusalem). Outside the HRE, I had Poland and Hungary, but the latter was overthrown by an Arpad faction. Sicily and Castille both have their heirs married to Habsburgs, and so did Galicia until the above events. Usually I play more of a military game, so this is a nice reason to really need to use the marriage/family/assassination dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Got to 1073 and things didn't go terribly, gained a couple of grandkids, changed the government type so my good heir gets all my land and chose not to go to war some snot-nosed nephew could lay claim to some of South Wales.No idea how I'd actually go about gaining land via family stuff but I'll learn at some point.

• Locked thread