Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Our democratically elected leader ate a raw onioin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
A few good quotes in this article

quote:

Christopher Pyne's threat to sack 1700 researchers unless he gets his way in uncapping university fees has sparked an angry response from crucial crossbench senators and even caused Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi to reassess his own support for the government's policy.

The Education Minister vowed to "fight right through to the vote" and warned the crossbench of the "consequences" for 27 research facilities whose funding is tied to the reforms, which are widely expected to be rejected for a second time when put to the Senate this week.

"The consequences are that potentially 1700 researchers will lose their jobs," Mr Pyne warned. "The savings are in the reform, therefore the savings and the spending are inextricably linked. You can't do one without the other," the minister said.

The tactic has left the majority of the crossbench unimpressed and sparked a backlash even within the government, with Mr Pyne's South Australian colleague Senator Bernardi saying the move appeared "counter-productive".

"Playing games with our scientists and research hasn't seemed to have done the government any favours," Senator Bernardi said.

"I'll have another very close look at what is finally put forward by the government and make a decision accordingly," he said.

Independent Senator Jacqui Lambie was so incensed by the minister's threat she was seeking early release from hospital to leave her sick bed so she could personally vote down the bill.

"This makes my blood boil. It is just another desperate, juvenile and bumbling attempt to blackmail the Senate," Senator Lambie said. "[Christopher Pyne] should just resign or the PM should just sack him."

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon deplored the government's approach as "toxic, reckless politics at its worst".

"Memo to Christopher – you're not in student politics any more," Senator Xenophon said. "The research fund and the university reform should never have been linked in the first place," he said.

Senator Xenophon supports reform to the sector but not the government's current model. He will support an increase in fees of up to 15 per cent, subject to an independent review that has cross-party support.

Newly independent Senator Glenn Lazarus retained his strident opposition to the changes and said Australians should be angry with the government for holding research jobs hostage.

"This is disgusting behaviour and demonstrates the appalling ethics of this government," Senator Lazarus said.

But Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm said he had no qualms about cuts to research because government funding crowded out the private sector.

"I'd wind back government-funded research in a heartbeat, it's hard to justify in a climate of big deficits," Senator Leyonhjelm said.

However, he wanted to see improvements to HECS that would ensure more students repay their debt to taxpayers before approving the current model. He also warned of the so-called "Veblen effect", where students would choose costlier courses because they would consider them the most prestigious, thereby creating a "perverse incentive" for chancellors to jack up fees.

Senator Leyonhjelm is due to meet Mr Pyne on Monday.

Motoring enthusiast Senator Ricky Muir is also scheduled for talks with the minister but has previously said the government should seek a mandate for the reforms before putting them to the Senate again. Senators John Madigan and Dio Wang were approached for comment but did not respond by deadline.

Only Family First Senator Bob Day said he would be supporting the bill.

"I'm supportive of the policy because it's a great opportunity for people on low incomes to gain a low-cost no-frills degree".

But Senator Day added he was supporting the policy on merit and "not because of the threat".

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the government had broken the rules of politics by threatening science jobs and denounced the "deplorable tactics".

"It doesn't intimidate anyone," he said.

By the way, this happened over 10 years ago:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think imprisoning people who have committed no crime is a bad thing.
- Too left wing for the Labor Party

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Sexual assault of children fleeing persecution!? Nothing makes me harder!
- The Labor Party

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kids deserve to die
- Shill Borton

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

QUACKTASTIC bad poster
- Auspol

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I was writing to say I am impressed that Bolt managed to write a whole article attacking what indigenous people have said about Abbott without quoting any actual indigenous people but then I discovered that Ray Martin is in fact indigenous, the more you know.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 15, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You Am I posted:

QUACKTASTIC bad poster
- Auspol

:( rude

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure anyone whose family has been here since federation has about as much aboriginal blood as Ray Martin, they just don't know it

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not that it would be a bad thing if we all had the same reaction as he did but it's not unusual at all

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out on Wednesday but I'm definitely spitting in spirit

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I would say it's more likely that there's Muslim somewhere in the bloodline than aboriginal, ala Pauline Hanson

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can you please elaborate on that because I don't want to google 'Pauline Hanson Muslim' and I've never heard that before (also don't you know Muslim isn't a race? Jeez Louise!)

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
just so long as there are no trots in our family trees

(shudders)

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway if you're like most Australians who find out they're 1/8th aboriginal or whatever your reaction is more likely to be 'sweet I can get those abbo benefits now' followed by impotent rage at Centrelink and accusations of some conspiracy against white people so it's not like a magic empathy ticket for indigenous Australians or anything

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 15, 2015

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone whose family has been here since federation has about as much aboriginal blood as Ray Martin, they just don't know it

Or Asian. I have a suspicious blood group for a Celt descendant and my main suspect is my great great grandfather's wife but I can't prove anything yet.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Can you please elaborate on that because I don't want to google 'Pauline Hanson Muslim' and I've never heard that before (also don't you know Muslim isn't a race? Jeez Louise!)

A dna testing company did a radio promo once where it tested a bunch of well known QLD pollies. Beatty came up white, white, and more white, Bligh came up white, white, and more white.

Pauline came up white white and wu-oh, what's this? Middle Eastern descent.

http://www.news.com.au/national/dna-test-shows-hansons-middle-eastern-heritage/story-e6frfkp9-1111112976024

EDIT: While we are on the subject of ridiculous Pauline Hanson related things, there is an ad from the late 90s. It's a one nation party ad that uses the 'Would you like to know more motif?' from Starship Troopers in a way that is totally devoid of any awareness of the satirical nature of the original scene. I remember it clearly, even 12 year old me understood how gobsmackingly idiotic it was. I have searched for this before but come up empty. Does anyone else remember this ad, or better yet, know where to find it?

Only reference to it I can find:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/202700

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 15, 2015

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
IDK if this has been posted already, but it's worth reading again anyway.

Turning back the boats is a moral and legal failure, say academics:

quote:

The first academic analysis of Australia’s “turning back” of asylum seeker boats concludes the policy is a fatally risky, moral and legal failure that is “severely damaging” the country’s reputation.

The University of Queensland study, which examines all 29 interceptions of boats under the Howard and Abbott governments from 2001, finds while there is no conclusive evidence the policy has saved lives, as many as eight people have died as a result of it.

The risk of death or serious injury at sea, including to Australian officials, remains elevated with the ongoing incentive for migrants to sabotage vessels in a bid to thwart forced returns to Indonesia or Sri Lanka, the study says.

“Given the official secrecy surrounding this topic, it is not possible to say with certainty that there have not been further cases of death or injury,” it says.

UQ researchers Andreas Schloenhardt and Colin Craig argue the singular achievement of halting the arrival of irregular migrants is “greatly outweighed” by factors also including the diplomatic effect of making Australia’s commitment to international refugee laws “meaningless”.

They conclude: “It is difficult to advocate, support and sustain this policy in these circumstances.”

Schloenhardt, a law professor and organised crime expert who came to the topic via his research of people smuggling, told Guardian Australia the government’s dishonesty about the fact it was flouting those laws through “towbacks” was “appalling”.

He said the nature of what took place during forced returns of mostly genuine asylum seekers – which have been kept secret by the government since last year – would make the public “think twice about this policy and whether it’s really the best way of stopping people smuggling”.

“Most people are not aware of the circumstances of returns, what happens on these boats, how few [towbacks] there have really been and all these other factors that flow into that,” Schloenhardt said.

“They just think, ok, there’s no more boats coming, that’s all we really care about.”

The study chronicles the frequency of dangerous incidents during forced returns by the navy and customs, from drownings to fatal explosions after engine sabotage and mechanical failures in unseaworthy boats towed at length.

It takes aim at Abbott’s comments as opposition leader about the “success” of the policy under Howard – when he said there was “no reason why [the navy] can’t do it safely again” – dismissing them as “a misrepresentation by any standard”.

Schloenhardt said in both eras of the policy, there had been “a very consistent pattern” of passengers taking desperate steps, including self harm and violence, to avoid “towbacks”.

He said it was striking how common these incidents were, as well as how few boats were actually turned back under Howard (four of 14 intercepted).

The law professor said Australia was unique in the way it broke its international refugee obligations and laws at sea, shifting the burden to countries like Indonesia and Malaysia with no such obligations.

Those countries tolerated underground societies of hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants, partly as a source of cheap labour but mainly because it was cheaper than detaining or deporting them in great numbers, he said.

Instead of accepting and protecting asylum seekers, Australia was repelling them in circumstances where it could not guarantee they would safely reach Indonesian shores – much less be protected from the risk of exploitation, arbitrary jailing or return to their original place of persecution, Schloenhardt said.

“There are international treaties and guidelines on this whole topic of people smuggling and none of them envisage the sorts of responses we have cooked up,” he said.

“We have a situation where international refugee laws are completely and utterly meaningless for Australia and the government is simply so dishonest about that. That is what is so frustrating for me.

“The government should have been honest and say we don’t want to be bound by these obligations and withdraw our signature. Of course it’s politically very unpopular, it paints us in a very bad light internationally, but this is the effect that all of this has.

“The resettlement of people in refugee camps in third countries is a nice thing to do, very humanitarian, but it’s got nothing to do with the refugee convention, which says if people show up, look after them and don’t send them back.”

The Australian government was “quite ignorant” of the negative publicity it was gaining worldwide on the issue, especially in Europe.

Irregular migrant numbers in countries like Austria (70,000 a year) – where Schloenhardt spends half the year as a research fellow at the University of Vienna – dwarf Australia even at its 2013 peak of 20,587.

“Certainly in Europe where there are a lot of organisations dealing with refugees, they all think this is completely crazy, what the Australians are doing,” Schloenhardt said.

“In Italy, where in the first month this year they had 6,000 arrivals by boat, they debate to what lengths they go to to rescue these people not about what they can do to stop them coming in the first place.”

While the number of deaths that have occurred among asylum seekers trying to reach Australia by boat has been estimated at 1550, Schloenhardt said the true number – was likely twice that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

I am sure Abbott will respond to this study maturely and by addressing the issues it brings up, rather than combining rabid australian racism with dumb as dogshit anti-academia.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: While we are on the subject of ridiculous Pauline Hanson related things, there is an ad from the late 90s. It's a one nation party ad that uses the 'Would you like to know more motif?' from Starship Troopers in a way that is totally devoid of any awareness of the satirical nature of the original scene. I remember it clearly, even 12 year old me understood how gobsmackingly idiotic it was. I have searched for this before but come up empty. Does anyone else remember this ad, or better yet, know where to find it?

I don't think I ever saw it 'in the wild' (didn't watch much TV at that point), but I remember them showing and making fun of it on The Panel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mithranderp posted:

"Irregular migrant numbers in countries like Austria (70,000 a year) – where Schloenhardt spends half the year as a research fellow at the University of Vienna – dwarf Australia even at its 2013 peak of 20,587."

So, less than one refugee per thousand Australians?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i love Australian politics so much.

You actually have a guy called Senator Xenophon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The treasurer of the Federal Liberal Party launched a strident attack on the Prime Minister's chief of staff, Peta Credlin, urging her removal in an explosive text message leaked to the ABC's Four Corners program.

The confidential message from party treasurer Philip Higginson was sent to a senior Liberal figure late last year.

He refers to Ms Credlin as the "Horsewoman of the Apocalypse" and tells his Liberal colleague: "I do hope you can negotiate the removal of Credlin. That would be a huge win in itself."

Mr Higginson was considered a good friend of Prime Minister Tony Abbott when he sent the message.

It was written during a fraught dispute with Ms Credlin's husband, Liberal Party federal director Brian Loughnane, over the party's accounts

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

No wonder he got the can.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

hakimashou posted:

i love Australian politics so much.

You actually have a guy called Senator Xenophon.

We have another one who is known as "The Brick with Eyes"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birb Katter posted:

We have another one who is known as "The Brick with Eyes"
We used to have anyway

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

We used to have anyway

He didn't die as far as I know?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
He's 'Senator The Brick With Eyes' now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah he just quit PUP, forgot he was still a senator.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The Brick with Ties.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Mithranderp posted:

With respect to people posting about this but if there was an article that was going to change my views on this topic - that ain't it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

With respect to people posting about this but if there was an article that was going to change my views on this topic - that ain't it.

I'm fairly certain the only thing that'd change your views is experiencing it first hand yourself, since your entire logic on this is "Well, it ain't happening to me."

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Your views are based on emotion so there's no point in trying to change your views. The solution is just to tell you to go away until the only people that listen to you are your family when they're forced into the same room as you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who will be masturbating vigorously while watching 4 corners tonight?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Have you even expressed your view?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

:monocle:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm interested in knowing your opinions and reasons, im not interested in wasting time trying to change your mind.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

It's only a moral and legal failure and who gives a crap about that when we've stopped the boats. :smug:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Less "puppet master," more Wizard Master thx in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Graic Gabtar posted:

But has it changed your views on cyanide suppositories?

• Locked thread