Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I was debating with a friend the nature of relationship between War Thunder and Pay2Win. He stated that upgrades for arcade jets 1v1 are essentially game breaking. Is this even remotely true?

Ammo belts were also brought up, but that has been thoroughly discussed here.

Pay-2-Win implies that there is some kind of competitive advantage that can be obtained only via micro-transaction, DLC, or other form of real-money payment that directly 'unbalances' the game in favor of people who purchase it. While upgrades are kind of a bitch and a half to grind out, you can still acquire them with a modicum of effort. Spending dollars on upgrades or premium is merely pay-to-avoid-grind or pay-to-alleviate-grind, in a game where the grind isn't all that bad, compared to other F2P games like Planetside 2 or Warframe or Age of Wushu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I also find that games at lower tiers are a lot more fun and the upgrades are a lot easier to grind out than jets and other high tier vehicles.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wales Grey posted:

Pay-2-Win implies that there is some kind of competitive advantage that can be obtained only via micro-transaction, DLC, or other form of real-money payment that directly 'unbalances' the game in favor of people who purchase it. While upgrades are kind of a bitch and a half to grind out, you can still acquire them with a modicum of effort. Spending dollars on upgrades or premium is merely pay-to-avoid-grind or pay-to-alleviate-grind, in a game where the grind isn't all that bad, compared to other F2P games like Planetside 2 or Warframe or Age of Wushu.

That's not really true with Jets though. The number of games you have to play to spade a jet, even with premium, is absurd. To put it in perspective: In the process of spading the first Me262, you will unlock every other german jet. Theoretically it's possible, but reality is a different story.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Oh those matches where it all just come together and you ruin fools in your IS-2. :allears: Twelve kills on Poland one after the other with my armor keeping me safe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1eblqjckwvrczl/2015.03.16%2012.36.19%20IS-2%20Best%20Tonk%2C%20Stronk%20Tonk.wrpl?dl=0

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's not really true with Jets though. The number of games you have to play to spade a jet, even with premium, is absurd. To put it in perspective: In the process of spading the first Me262, you will unlock every other german jet. Theoretically it's possible, but reality is a different story.

But do the jet upgrades equate to 20% improvement in arcade and allow people who have spent the time or money to spade them to poo poo all over the players with less than a dozen matches in the jet and only with belts unlocked?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There is no grind to speak of at tiers 1-3, really. I'm at tier 2 or 3 in most nations (a little into 4 in British) and I've unlocked about a hundred and twenty planes (not counting premiums or reserves) in 380 battles. I unlock a new modification every couple of battles even on late tier 3/early tier 4 planes if I at least get a kill or two and some assists with that plane (and lower tier mods are hilariously easy to earn; I've had games where I've literally unlocked half of a tier 1 plane's upgrades with one good battle). I'll grant you that I do pay for premium, but even at half that progression speed, there isn't that much of a grind. Plus, while there are nations whose planes at particular tiers are better or worse than others overall, there aren't any fighters that are completely useless at any tier, and even a mediocre player (like me) can kill stuff with any plane by playing smart, so it's not like low-tier play is boring and unfun.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
me when they drop a Ju87 D5 model with airbrakes and accurate not purposely gimped FM

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Heliosicle posted:

The top level fighters are all mostly even, but the Bearcat is still the best.

Anyone that disagrees get ready to 1v1 me in the LAME battles.

Seriously though, I agree that a Bearcat probably has the edge in a 1v1 duel scenario and even then that depends on the altitude. And because of the nature of this game, nobody really knows exactly how well these planes perform against each other when competent players are involved at genuinely high altitudes which is something I look forward to seeing at least once during the tournament. A cool thing that might happen is someone uses an offset Era plane to dunk on a much higher level one because the differences in playstyle can really change things in certain cases. If this was a Sim Battles tournament holy poo poo the Cannon Hayabusa would be a top contender.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bearcats are poo poo planes for remtards on free dinners
"ooh, ooh, I'm flying a bearcat. it's a poo poo plane, I'm rubbish and my mum goes chippy in her slippers"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol that sketch would be perfectly paralleled on the USA tree with a Kittyhawk

On a slightly related note, I want to put that "Hurricane" decal on my Spitfires. :troll:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

don't forget Panther on Tiger :henget:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Thief posted:

lol that sketch would be perfectly paralleled on the USA tree with a Kittyhawk

"They don't even fly Mustangs"

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Don't normally play commie, but its the only tree I haven't really unlocked anything in so why not. The T-34 is good. Like so good. Its so good my game crashed after smashing through the German team like a pissed off Hulk.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sauer posted:

Don't normally play commie, but its the only tree I haven't really unlocked anything in so why not. The T-34 is good. Like so good. Its so good my game crashed after smashing through the German team like a pissed off Hulk.

the early t34s owned for me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The 85s are good in no marker too where you can use your insane speed and maneuverability to flank every shitler in a Tiger. With markers it's a bit of a wash because you occasionally come across people who have the ability to look at the minimap.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

BBJoey posted:

The 85s are good in no marker too where you can use your insane speed and maneuverability to flank every shitler in a Tiger. With markers it's a bit of a wash because you occasionally come across people who have the ability to look at the minimap.

confirmed, just killed a (frankly woefully inept, like me!) tiger in a sim round in the 34-85 by getting on their side, took a few hits (and had to chase them into a ditch where they had their turret pointed in entirely the wrong direction???) but i got them.
i wish no-markers RB was a regular thing pretty bad, the viewpoint in sim mode makes me a bit motion sick.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The current sim event is hilarious. Like 90% of players pick a plane first and in half the battles I played tonight I just drove straight to the other side of the map in my T-54 and whacked oblivious nazis as they spawned in.

Also helps that half of every German team is SPAAGs for some reason.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The Panther 2 great, if the Leopard 1 is anything like this, it is going to be amazing without any sort of markers or labels. Its speed and mobility are so much better than I remembered, I was able to flank and kill 2 T-54s and an M103 like 4 minutes into a round just outside of their spawn by following the map edge all the way around.

It seems like it wasn't as gimped by the terrain changes, where things like the walker bulldog can feel a bit sluggish now, the Panther 2 just cruises along all terrain at high speed. It also turns well and climbs hills well. It is also pretty awesome to drive near Maus on the larger maps where people will start shooting at the Maus from 1-1.5 km away, then flank them while they are distracted.

fake edit: I just tested the top mediums on flat terrain and the walker bulldog goes a disappointingly low 42km/hr, the T-54 goes 41km/hr, the M-47 goes 44km/hr , and the Panther II goes 46km/hr :eyepop:

real edit:typo

Burno fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Japan has reliable pilots 24/7. Flying Russia one can only guarantee able pilots during EU/RU evening-night.

I wish I had spent talisman-gold in Japan instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
USA tanks needs some more tanks at 4.7 BR so that I'm not dropping down to an A2 after my 76mm sherman dies.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Speaking about pay 2 win I still have a stack of GE and want to buy a premium tank of any nation. Which one will I regret the least?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Negligent posted:

Speaking about pay 2 win I still have a stack of GE and want to buy a premium tank of any nation. Which one will I regret the least?

German KV. Its one the best tanks in the game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sauer posted:

I'd love T-34s a lot more if the ruskies hadn't padded their armor with fuel tanks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Negligent posted:

The Soviet Sherman 76 is fun, but at the same time kind of pointless since the tank can be obtained in the US tree. Then again, I love lend lease poo poo. If you want something unique, the KV 1 is fun since it solves the KV1s problem of having a lovely gun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I give up, the M41A1 is downright unplayable on the no markers event :negative: Even in the wide open maps like Poland, I get flanking goons/Jagdpanthers I can't penetrate from the front all the drat time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Japan has reliable pilots 24/7. Flying Russia one can only guarantee able pilots during EU/RU evening-night.

I wish I had spent talisman-gold in Japan instead.

Yeah, russian pilots have mastered the art of scattering into the four winds as soon as you make contact with the enemy. I've lost count of the number of times where I'd engage an enemy with a bunch of friendly Yaks and Las around me, only to be swarmed by three enemies at once not a minute later.

Meanwhile on Japan I've actually seen it happen several times that the Hayates would purposefully do their best to lure and force enemy climbers to lower altitudes, where the waiting Zeroes could tear them apart. It's strange, given how capable and easy-to-use most of the japanese planes are (excepting somewhat below-average armaments), you'd expect them to draw a much greater amount of typical clueless pubbies, but by and large the majority of their players seems to be quite capable.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Negligent posted:

The least? M26E1

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Has anyone else run into a bug in Air domination where despite your team winning, the mission is a failure? I've had it a couple of times where my team has completely trashed the enemy and capped the zone, only to get dicked over by it. I'm fairly sure I'm not missing something like running out of time with the zone partially capped by the enemy or anything.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Meanwhile on Japan I've actually seen it happen several times that the Hayates would purposefully do their best to lure and force enemy climbers to lower altitudes, where the waiting Zeroes could tear them apart.

I loudly and proudly exclaim my love for the teammates when that happens.

B7A2 (wish I'd talismanned that) on Zhengshou, I go in fast and low and deliver my load with the goal of kiting enemies and successfully. Yak3 and a Yak9 who follow on my tail, I'm evading shots so well that I was able to return and resume going for ground targets after two teammates came down and took the Yaks out. Japan feels so nice, from premium Corsair and up, that I wonder if it's best to talisman N1K2 (first model?) or the first Ki-84.

Since VYa-23 still returns Target Undamaged from medium+heavy tanks and is less than US .50cal strong against planes and all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

Update 16.03.2015 (1.47.8.59)
Client Update 16.03.2015 (1.47.8.59)

Improved notification when the outcome of a wager has been granted;
Fixed several causes of crashes and performance issues within the game client;
Fixed a bug with the secondary fragmentation effect of armour. e.g. In situations where armour was covered by an additional screen (or additional piece of armour), fragments of a nearby explosion were sometimes able to pass through the screen unhindered where the screen was penetrated by the fragment. This behavior has been corrected now, and fragments will be correctly affected by the armour behind the screen. It was mostly visible on the M4A3E2.

If I'm reading this correctly, there was a problem with layered armor or spall liners not correctly blocking fragmentation from the initial layer's impact? Or maybe the fragmentation of a penetrating solid shot? These translations are a bit muddled sometimes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I turned on bomb cam and dropped a 4000lb bomb for the first time and I didn't realize that it was just a trash can full of explosives.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

McSpanky posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, there was a problem with layered armor or spall liners not correctly blocking fragmentation from the initial layer's impact? Or maybe the fragmentation of a penetrating solid shot? These translations are a bit muddled sometimes.

There may have been a problem, it may have been fixed. That's how I read all Gaijin patch notes.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Eej posted:

I turned on bomb cam and dropped a 4000lb bomb for the first time and I didn't realize that it was just a trash can full of explosives.

Am I right in thinking that that thing is a dambuster? i.e. designed to bounce along water.

Not that I wouldn't half expect my countrymen just to fill a barrel with TNT and go 'fuckit, good enough', given how utalitarian british designs tend to be.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

McSpanky posted:

Quite possibly. There's been quite a few times on the M4A3E2 where shots that shouldn't have penned the upper front plate of it go right through and murder everyone. And they weren't MG hits.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Nickiepoo posted:

Am I right in thinking that that thing is a dambuster? i.e. designed to bounce along water.

Not that I wouldn't half expect my countrymen just to fill a barrel with TNT and go 'fuckit, good enough', given how utalitarian british designs tend to be.

I think you can actually skip-bomb naval targets in this game.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Nickiepoo posted:

Nope. The 4000lb "cookie" was just a giant explosive trash can. One day we will hopefully get the Mosquito that can carry one. The dam buster bomb was more of a depth charge with a backspin to get to to skip, but was a completely different bomb than the cookie.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Perestroika posted:

It's strange, given how capable and easy-to-use most of the japanese planes are (excepting somewhat below-average armaments), you'd expect them to draw a much greater amount of typical clueless pubbies, but by and large the majority of their players seems to be quite capable.

Same with :britain:, a nation where every one of their main fighters is easily capable of doing what the USA/German fighters do while at the same time being more maneuverable and having better cannons. With the exception of Era IV, the only thing that they lack is top speed but it takes a skilled and experienced player to really capitalize on that and otherwise any of their planes can keep up in a chase more often than not.

It doesn't help that people think their guns are bad. While Japanese machine guns aren't the best, their cannons are just fine. The only genuine downside to them is that they have a low velocity but with how well the planes turn, being the most loving agile fighters in the game, it's not like its ever hard to pull enough lead to get a proper shot off. Planes like the Cannonbusa and N1K have no problem carrying teams with their carrots.

And there are players that seriously think Hispanos are bad. Even if they are legit "glitched" at times, this doesn't stop them from being arguably the best cannons for dogfighting.

I'm sure with tanks we will see a lot more people playing Britain and it's gonna be awesome. Germans will really have their work cut out for them in combined arms between dealing with American .50s, Las/Yaks and Spitfires/Typhoons. But really, that will only make the cyber-ace Wheraboos stronger as their hardcore nerd playerbase seems to be the best at adapting to these kind of situations.

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003
Want to play your Tiger 1 and Panther D?

8 out of 15 people on the enemy team are IS-2 1944's. Most of your team is 5.7. The rest of the enemy team is either Tiger 2's or Pershings.

The game really isn't fun when your team struggles to get a single kill because it's just a wall of impenetrable steel.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm a bit depressed that my Stuart doesn't model all of the MGs on-board. I want to rush forward with all guns blazing.

Also, guys, the reserve US tank is so much fun. It goes so loving fast, I slid around the back of a Panzer and poked my barrel into his rear before ineffectually bouncing a shot because I'm bad at aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Taerkar posted:

Quite possibly. There's been quite a few times on the M4A3E2 where shots that shouldn't have penned the upper front plate of it go right through and murder everyone. And they weren't MG hits.

Yea, what I think was happening was that the 38mm thick add on plate was setting the explosive filler off, and prompting damage calculation for some reason, while it wouldn't take into account it still had more armor to pass through. The effect may have also been prevalent on gun mantlet hits, something like the M8A1 has a double spall shield 25mm thick that likely wasn't getting counted, now it should (and should require ~95mm penetration to hurt the crew behind the gun now)

• Locked thread