Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Someone also got one for crying about using foreign language cards, I thought. It might have been the same person, actually - I think the foreign card thing started because he supposedly couldn't tell the difference between Tarns and Steam Vents or something.

In a game, I can understand not recognizing them at a glance (the biggest thing on them besides the art is the blue-red gradient, which is similar with both), actually. Yeah, Steam Vents has the dash and the land types in the type line, and the expansion symbols are different of course, but in an actual game in a tense environment it's a reasonable thing.

Don't know the context of the person with the red text, just offering some words re: foreign lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Gerard Fabiano is 3 cards away from decking himself on stream right now.

Edit: poo poo, opponent went on the offense. Boooooo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Devor posted:

Gerard Fabiano is 3 cards away from decking himself on stream right now.

Edit: poo poo, opponent went on the offense. Boooooo.

He had a morph only pony back brigade in his Sultai trash deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Okay, I'll admit I got a good laugh at this one. I was confused as gently caress for a second when I made a post in a different thread.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol

edit: also love how Marshall was ready to hand Yuuya the GP trophy after the draft portion, followed by a prompt round 1 exit. did he just draw poorly? I saw them read off Cuneo's list and it seemed very solid on its own right.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 16, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah it's amazing he got to the semi's with that pile. It's hilarious two other guys took sultai in a pod with Gfab. Left side of the bracket was Sultai basically. Right side of the bracket was much better decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Crazier still, one less boon and he actually could have realistically won that game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish wins Modern Bob-a-thon, splits with Twin for $150 store cred!

Merfolk is so good never doubt the power of the blue men with big muscles and bad attitude. :getin:

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Rules question from the IQ that I played in today. (That I top 8'd [and then punted hard game three of top 8 round 1]).

Guy next to me mulligans, moves seven face down cards off the top of his deck, instead of the proper six. Counts them again and realizes it's 1 card extra, they stay facedown on the table and completely unseen the whole time. His opponent calls a judge and the judge rules he has to take another mulligan, is this right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Network42 posted:

Rules question from the IQ that I played in today. (That I top 8'd [and then punted hard game three of top 8 round 1]).

Guy next to me mulligans, moves seven face down cards off the top of his deck, instead of the proper six. Counts them again and realizes it's 1 card extra, they stay facedown on the table and completely unseen the whole time. His opponent calls a judge and the judge rules he has to take another mulligan, is this right?

The obvious solution is to just shuffle up again and draw 6 for real this time, but I'm no judge.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

According to this document, the judge takes 2 cards at random from their hand and shuffles them into the deck, bringing them down to 5. They can then keep mulliganing if they want to.

(At Regular, just shuffle a card at random back in and keep going.)

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
That handshake was hilarious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

That handshake was hilarious.

Everyone I've ever met who wore one of those tank top shirts with "Buy a better gamer" on it has been an utter rear end in a top hat. I'm glad he lost.

Count Bleck posted:

Merfolk is so good never doubt the power of the blue men with big muscles and bad attitude. :getin:

Were you the guy with no voice playing Merfolk?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Avalanche Tusker has never looked so bad, and Act of Treason never so good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the player had actually looked at the 7 cards, then the penalty would be a warning, plus two of the cards (chosen at random) shuffled back into the library.

But if we go back up the IPG to the "looking at extra cards" part, we see:

quote:

A player is not considered to have looked at extra cards when he or she places a card face down on the table (without looking at the card) in an effort to count out cards he or she will draw.

Under that interpretation, it's pretty clear that the player hasn't committed any infraction. The correct remedy is probably just to put the last card back on top of the library.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Everyone I've ever met who wore one of those tank top shirts with "Buy a better gamer" on it has been an utter rear end in a top hat. I'm glad he lost.

Were you the guy with no voice playing Merfolk?

Yes :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oh ok. I lost in the top 8 or I might have played you heh. Congrads on the cash.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Was anyone watching either the first or second round of the Top 8? I came in time for the finals and the chat was going on and on about the handshake at the end of some match like it was controversial, but I couldn't get the story.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Was anyone watching either the first or second round of the Top 8? I came in time for the finals and the chat was going on and on about the handshake at the end of some match like it was controversial, but I couldn't get the story.

Jake, who won the semifinals against Gerard Fabiano, offered a preemptive handshake and chat got real salty. Moral: Don't listen to chat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Oh ok. I lost in the top 8 or I might have played you heh. Congrads on the cash.

Were you the guy that played against the really weird Sultai list with Coiled Oracle and Aether Vial?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Were you the guy that played against the really weird Sultai list with Coiled Oracle and Aether Vial?

No, that dumb sultai list was my buddy. I was on Twin. I don't usually play at that shop cause I live like an hour away. I only go if they are having some kind of tourney for something good.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 16, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

No, that dumb sultai list was my buddy. I was on Twin. I don't usually play at that shop cause I live like an hour away. I only go if they are having some kind of tourney for something good.

That's fair. It's like a 10 minute drive for me so I frequent it along with the other two in the area.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol this owns

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This will go great in my Splinter Twin Towers EDH deck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

What's your list (so I can copy it one day when I have more time/money to sink into this game)?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

What's your list (so I can copy it one day when I have more time/money to sink into this game)?

Merfolk Expert Nikachu's list, yes I know, MTGS, but he's a legit good player of the deck and I learned quite a few things about the deck from him, like how Nykthos being Spreading Seas'd is a Legendary Island named Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, and that still gets sac'd to the Legendary rule, Spreading Seas should also be used for Islandwalk first, and 'Blue Stone Rain' last. You generally just happen to get that mode along with the Islandwalk.

I beat a twin player (maybe mcmagic) by just dropping Seas on both of the Steam Vents he played, but the islandwalk helped me seal the deal more than him only having access to blue mana did.

Here's his Youtube.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Merfolk Expert Nikachu's list, yes I know, MTGS, but he's a legit good player of the deck and I learned quite a few things about the deck from him, like how Nykthos being Spreading Seas'd is a Legendary Island named Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, and that still gets sac'd to the Legendary rule, Spreading Seas should also be used for Islandwalk first, and 'Blue Stone Rain' last. You generally just happen to get that mode along with the Islandwalk.

I beat a twin player (maybe mcmagic) by just dropping Seas on both of the Steam Vents he played, but the islandwalk helped me seal the deal more than him only having access to blue mana did.

Here's his Youtube.

Nah we didn't play each other.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Nah we didn't play each other.

I figured, I was just guessing since you said we might've played an you were on twin.

Which is what I played in top 8, top 4 was a mirror. It was weird.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This will go great in my Splinter Twin Towers EDH deck

who is your commander in chief

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

RME posted:

who is your commander in chief

Numot the Devastator, because it has :911: colors and it flies in for a direct hit that destroys two structures from the air.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Numot the Devastator, because it has :911: colors and it flies in for a direct hit that destroys two structures from the air.

Jesus

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So Rise of the Eldrazi flashbacks are coming in this week and I'm gonna hit a few up, although I've never done it.

Anyone have a good guide on how I should go about it (other than "play Drana")? Not familiar with that format at all.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Angry Grimace posted:

So Rise of the Eldrazi flashbacks are coming in this week and I'm gonna hit a few up, although I've never done it.

Anyone have a good guide on how I should go about it (other than "play Drana")? Not familiar with that format at all.

Simon Goertzen's primer is a very good, thorough overview.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

I just had an opponent scoop because he Scapeshifted, which made my heart skip a beat because I thought I was at 18, but I was at 20. He had 7 lands in play and is at 5 life.

He does his thing and tells me he is going to distribute 3 of his 6 triggers of valakut onto Master of the Pearl Trident, Merrow Rejerery, and Kira, Great Glass Spinner.

"So the three on my creatures get countered and I take 9 and go down to 11?"

What? How?

"Kira."

He reads it and scoops.
Is it wrong to feel bad because my opponent punted and it's pretty much the reason he loses?

You're never under any obligation to save your opponent from their own inability to read cards. It was a newer player at FNM or something I'd point out that sort of thing and let them take it back, but at Competive REL or above, nope, you choose dumbly, it resolves dumbly. At a GPT yesterday I had someone cast Gods Willing to give their big heroic dude protection from White in response to my Elspeth -3. Ok. Resolves. You get to scry. Now your creature dies. Yes it does.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Come on man, this entire hobby is built on people with way too much money to spend on frivolous things.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

At a GPT yesterday I had someone cast Gods Willing to give their big heroic dude protection from White in response to my Elspeth -3. Ok. Resolves. You get to scry. Now your creature dies. Yes it does.

Not using the old rules! You kids and your new rules. Back in my day we had mana burn and damage on the stack and Morphling was the strongest creature and it was excellent. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I never believed there could be a good online magic comic but here we are. Thank you. Maybe there was a good goatkcd one

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

suicidesteve posted:

Not using the old rules! You kids and your new rules. Back in my day we had mana burn and damage on the stack and Morphling was the strongest creature and it was excellent. :colbert:

That rule was changed in revised, and there was no stack or morphling back then.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The current rules are that you don't have to remind opponents of their own beneficial missed triggers, right? I had an opponent get my Courser of Kruphix off an Ashiok and they missed a life gain trigger from it. Am I a scumbag cheater for noticing it and not reminding them?

This was at a GPT under competitive REL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

This is the only good thing to result from RME's terrible posts.

• Locked thread