Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Huh, I could see it, as long as his accent is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was great fun to see the Preacher TV series mentioned in the Belfast Telegraph maybe a month back; they were trying to do their usual thing of slobbering all over anything that they think could put Northern Ireland on the map, no matter how tangential it may be (I'm pretty sure they must have had a picture of Jamie Dornan on the front page near every day for about a fortnight before 50 Shades of Grey came out), but this time they obviously couldn't work out how to reconcile that instinct with their uneasiness about the subject matter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Huh, I could see it, as long as his accent is good.

Gewd dahmit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Agents of Shield has villain posters for next week's episode.

From the right, they are Angar The Screamer, Karla Faye Gideon (not a villain in the comics), Zabo himself, and no idea who the other two are.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Bane really let himself go.

thetimebefore
Jan 2, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was great fun to see the Preacher TV series mentioned in the Belfast Telegraph maybe a month back; they were trying to do their usual thing of slobbering all over anything that they think could put Northern Ireland on the map, no matter how tangential it may be (I'm pretty sure they must have had a picture of Jamie Dornan on the front page near every day for about a fortnight before 50 Shades of Grey came out), but this time they obviously couldn't work out how to reconcile that instinct with their uneasiness about the subject matter.

Well, Game of Thrones is ending soon, and they need someone to read the paper who doesn't get it free from the Queen's union.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

From the right, they are Angar The Screamer, Karla Faye Gideon (not a villain in the comics), Zabo himself, and no idea who the other two are.

Everybody the WWE has hired in the last 5 years, and Doctor Accountant.

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
Graviton is never happening is he :(

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

MyNameIsAlex posted:

Graviton is never happening is he :(

On the one hand, they did tease the hell out of him, and the gravitonium ... glob ... thing is currently in the hands of a bad guy with an unresolved arc.

On the other hand, Graviton is very much not a SHIELD-level threat. He's more of a "SHIELD plus the Avengers plus all their friends" threat. It'll be hard to have him in the TV show without making him disappointingly depowered.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There are several people with powers on the show that could help. The problem is that they're mostly enemies of AOS and convincing them to help stop the bad guy will be tough.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They need to get Deathlok back on the show, but only after they find an excuse to fix his horrible, HORRIBLE, suit.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The funny part about Deathlok's horrible costume is they had that one clip of him where someone was wearing X-Ray goggles or some poo poo and it actally loving looked like actual Deathlok and it was awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

notthegoatseguy posted:

The funny part about Deathlok's horrible costume is they had that one clip of him where someone was wearing X-Ray goggles or some poo poo and it actally loving looked like actual Deathlok and it was awesome.

Yeah it did, but you can't do that for every scene he's in on a TV budget.

At least not the budget AoS has.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Would a cyborgish faceplate really cost that much? I get that you can't do the decayed face thing for cheap, but not every Deathlok has had a zombie face, and they ended up giving him a normal face anyway. They could have split the difference. And the laser tag chest plate is inexcusable. The A.T.O.M. suit on Arrow looked a little better and that is a CW show, as opposed to a show that is part of a massive Disney franchise. That was some piss poor design and I still cannot believe that made it to air on a major TV network in 2014.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

This looks like a WWE promo

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's a pretty dumb piece of promo art considering that outside of Hyde/Skye-dad, no one is instantly recognizable to fans of the show nor even comic book readers. So it's just a bunch of actor faces looking at the camera.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, he had almost nothing to do in S2 except die. The mourning just didn't quite feel earned.

Mourning another human being's death is something normal people do, even if they only knew them briefly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ToastyPotato posted:

It's a pretty dumb piece of promo art considering that outside of Hyde/Skye-dad, no one is instantly recognizable to fans of the show nor even comic book readers. So it's just a bunch of actor faces looking at the camera.

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. It's like they were all supposed to have facial mutations as drastic as Raina and Pan's Labyrinth guy but they forgot to photoshop them in or something. I get that they wanted to hype it up but presenting them as if anyone besides the facemask dude is interesting-looking at all seems to miss the mark quite badly. Who's out there that sees this and thinks "gently caress yeah, can't wait to see what completely normal guy in tan jacket's deal is!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

Mourning another human being's death is something normal people do, even if they only knew them briefly.

Yeah sure, but in normal TV/movie storytelling, it is considered bad to simply tell the audience things about character relationships instead of showing. In storytelling, there are certain kinds of pay offs you want to have and use, but when they are not set up properly, they can feel shallow, hollow, or unearned. That's why hearing Anakin and Obi-Wan happily remembering their adventures that we never got to see since the last time we saw Skywalker was as an annoying kid was also dumb.

Again, we all know the non-debatable, real life reason things ended up the way they did for Tripp. The actor was busy with other things. The show tried to use him as best they could, but I and some others felt it pretty lacking, especially since he had so little time to develop as a character in the first place. Because this is a comic book TV show we are discussing, and not real life.

I am going to assume you using "normal people" to make your point was a mistake on your part because you either didn't understand what was being said, or you didn't realize how that comes off.

VDay posted:

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. It's like they were all supposed to have facial mutations as drastic as Raina and Pan's Labyrinth guy but they forgot to photoshop them in or something. I get that they wanted to hype it up but presenting them as if anyone besides the facemask dude is interesting-looking at all seems to miss the mark quite badly. Who's out there that sees this and thinks "gently caress yeah, can't wait to see what completely normal guy in tan jacket's deal is!"

Yeah second dude from the left's picture is REALLY bad and makes the promo look like a joke photoshop/inside joke.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I was sad when Tripp died. :iiam:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I was too, but I thought how much of a big deal they tried to make it was slightly iffy. I basically felt like "it is sad that Tripp died, but on the other hand he was barely on the show, so... moving on." I mean I didn't want Lucy Lawless dead either. Or Patton Oswalt. Tripp's death struck me more like those, so I was a bit amused when I saw how hard the show was selling it. I mean, there ARE degrees of emotion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He was in more than half the episodes that had aired at the time of his death. Like ok, he was clearly a secondary character but....drat son, what the gently caress were you looking for?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

He was in more than half the episodes that had aired at the time of his death. Like ok, he was clearly a secondary character but....drat son, what the gently caress were you looking for?

Being in an episode for a scene is enough for him to get credit for him being in it, you understand that right? I am not sure how bringing up the number of episodes he was in is relevant to the fact that he was barely existent as a character on the show for most of his run because he was too busy to get much screen time. Mack, Hunter, and Mockingbird have been in fewer episodes and have had nearly as much character development if not more, and are more important to the cast and story than Tripp has pretty much ever been.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think they make posters for every episode, don't they?

quote:

Yeah sure, but in normal TV/movie storytelling, it is considered bad to simply tell the audience things about character relationships instead of showing

That's not true. You show a developing relationship, but when characters already know each other you're usually telling that backstory. The problem is you need time to do that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think they make posters for every episode, don't they?

That's not true. You show a developing relationship, but when characters already know each other you're usually telling that backstory. The problem is you need time to do that.

Exposition to explain a backstory is always going to be needed to some degree, but there is a difference between explaining something that happened prior to the a character's appearance in a narrative, and simply telling the audience about what kind of person/friend they were to other characters AFTER they had already appeared. It is like one or two steps below that joke the Simpsons made in the Poochie episode with the young dude that was suddenly well known to the family even though he never appeared in an episode before.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

I am going to assume you using "normal people" to make your point was a mistake on your part because you either didn't understand what was being said, or you didn't realize how that comes off.

I used normal people because it comes of as super "does not compute" levels of goony when people complain about characters being sad over sad events just because it involves a secondary character. They mourned his death for one episode and it gets a passing mention in the next, so I'm confused why this is even an issue.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

I used normal people because it comes of as super "does not compute" levels of goony when people complain about characters being sad over sad events just because it involves a secondary character. They mourned his death for one episode and it gets a passing mention in the next, so I'm confused why this is even an issue.

You quoted Barry Convex on a post he made 3 days ago. We had moved on to other things and you brought it up. :psyduck:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You are aware that you've said more on this very page about the subject than anyone else, right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

You are aware that you've said more on this very page about the subject than anyone else, right?

And? What does the amount I've had to say on the subject have to do with anything you've said so far or the fact that you bumped a convo from days ago only to complain that we are still talking about it. If you don't like it then drop it? Talk about something else? Go somewhere else? Who is being "goony" now? You want to count how many words I've typed?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It seems Supergirl will use the Daily Planet set from Lois & Clark

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JT Smiley posted:

There's nothing Toasty enjoys more than endlessly going on and on and on when someone dares mock him

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Opopanax posted:

There's nothing Toasty enjoys more than endlessly going on and on and on when someone dares mock him

Honestly, I don't mind the "mocking" since 99% of the time it doesn't make any sense, which is amusing to point out. And I don't take any of this personally either. I got into arguments with Barry Convex, and then went right around and agreed with him in the next discussion. So you can post all the jokes you want but if we agree on something, I will agree with you openly, and if we disagree, we disagree. I am not here to be cultivating friendships with anyone so you aren't hurting my feelings. It's why I'd prefer people stick to actually discussing things instead of wasting their time with juvenile attempts to mock people. It's a message board not someone's birthday party. People post things. Eventually I, like everyone else, post an opinion. If someone disagrees with me, I try to explain myself better. If they post a counter argument or something and I still disagree, then I explain why I disagree. This is usually the part where people on these forums get weird and cranky and uncomfortable for some reason, and then start posturing instead of having a normal conversation or just dropping it and changing the subject (because we aren't in the same room nor are we posting in real time like in a chat room :ssh: ).

It's not like I am bumping dead threads, endlessly double or triple posting. This thread pretty specifically posts very slowly. If you don't like the current conversation just post something else more interesting that you'd like to discuss. That is literally how online forums work. You guys seriously let this internet ego poo poo go to your heads sometimes. Just flippin post about comic poo poo, guy.

Well, at least this won't be the third show filmed in Vancouver (or is it Toronto?) :v: Though I gotta say, that old set doesn't really give off too much of a big city feel. I hope the show doesn't come off looking TOO cheap, especially since they are filming on a back lot instead of a real city.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know it'll be revealed eventually but I'm trying to wrap my head around how there's going to be a Daily Planet as a big part of the show in a world where Superman exists yet Superman and Lois aren't part of the show (and especially if it's set in Metropolis). And I'm not coming up with anything that makes sense long term except for they're dead or something equally odd.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I know it'll be revealed eventually but I'm trying to wrap my head around how there's going to be a Daily Planet as a big part of the show in a world where Superman exists yet Superman and Lois aren't part of the show (and especially if it's set in Metropolis). And I'm not coming up with anything that makes sense long term except for they're dead or something equally odd.

Pull a Superman Returns and say it takes place in a time where he is off Earth? That's all I can come up with. I am kind of in the same boat. Dunno about Lois though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean they almost have to have a good credible reason for Clark and Lois to be absent because even if it was set in another city there's no way you can make the series in a world that acknowledges those characters exist somewhere else. Everyone will be waiting for them to show up no matter how good the rest of the series is. Them being dead is the only reason I can come up with that doesn't end in having them appear eventually. If they're missing our on a space adventure the assumption will always be they will be found or return at some point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're using the set, but it isn't necessarily the daily planet. Didn't they say she working for something like a weekly fashion magazine akin to Cosmo?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I mean they almost have to have a good credible reason for Clark and Lois to be absent because even if it was set in another city there's no way you can make the series in a world that acknowledges those characters exist somewhere else. Everyone will be waiting for them to show up no matter how good the rest of the series is. Them being dead is the only reason I can come up with that doesn't end in having them appear eventually. If they're missing our on a space adventure the assumption will always be they will be found or return at some point.

True. It's one of the reasons that I feel doing a Super___ show is probably a bad idea. Kind of like a show set in Gotham where Batman exists but the show never has Batman in it.

Honestly, if we are already getting two Barry Allens, we might as well have two Clark Kents. If they have the capability of doing a Supergirl show then there is no reason they can't have Superman be a part of it. But executives will be executives.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just the exterior. I mean obviously you're going to have the Planet in an establishing shot or something on Supergirl. Might as well use one that already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ToastyPotato posted:

True. It's one of the reasons that I feel doing a Super___ show is probably a bad idea. Kind of like a show set in Gotham where Batman exists but the show never has Batman in it.

This is why it should have been a Power Girl show. You can do all the same stories and have all the same superhero/power stuff without ever once mentioning 'super' anything.

/brokenrecord